What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Police Officers Killed in Two Days (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
MESA COUNTY, Colo. - A Mesa County deputy shot in the line of duty has died.

The sheriff's office says 17-year-old Austin Patrick Holzer shot Derek Geer earlier this week.

The department announced early Thursday that Geer was taken off of life support.

"It is with tremendous sadness that I announce the passing of Deputy Derek Geer. Deputy Geer has been removed from life support after completing a last selfless act of organ donation," Sheriff Lewis said in a statement.

The funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 15, at Canyon View Vineyard Church.

Geer was shot Monday after responding to reports of a man carrying a gun and wearing a bandana over his face in the 500 block of Fruitvale Court around 11:06 a.m.

Geer contacted a man matching the suspect's description and when the suspect attempted to run, Geer deployed his Taser, according the sheriff's office.

That is when the suspect opened fire on the deputy and took off on foot, investigators said.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/sheriffs-offce-says-mesa-county-deputy-derek-geer-has-died

Patrick Dailey and Mark Logsdon, two longtime Harford County sheriff's deputies, were shot to death in broad daylight Wednesday in Abingdon. The suspect, David Brian Evans, was also killed in the confrontation.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/abingdon/bal-harford-county-sheriff-s-deputies-package-20160211-storygallery.html

ATLANTA (Reuters) - A police officer was shot and killed at an apartment complex in suburban Atlanta on Thursday morning while trying to serve a warrant on a drug suspect, Clayton County police officials said.

Riverdale Police identified the officer as Major Greg "Lem" Barney, a longtime member of the department. He had been working with officers from Clayton County when he was shot as he and others tried to make an arrest in Riverdale, about 12 miles south of Atlanta, police said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-officer-shot-dead-altanta-suburbs-while-serving-202357951.html

A Fargo police officer shot while responding to a domestic dispute died Thursday, becoming the city’s first police officer to be killed on duty in 134 years, authorities said.

Jason Moszer, 33, a six-year veteran of the Fargo Police Department, was shot Wednesday night at the beginning of a standoff at a home in north Fargo that lasted until early the next morning, when police found the gunman dead in the house.

Moszer died from a single gunshot wound about 12:45 p.m. Thursday, after his family, which includes his wife and two children had gathered at a hospital to say “goodbye to him,” Fargo Police Chief David Todd said.
http://www.startribune.com/fargo-officer-shot-not-expected-to-survive-standoff-ensued-then-resolved/368450431/

LEO deaths so far this year

Line of Duty Deaths: 10Aircraft accident: 1Automobile accident: 1

Gunfire: 8

By MonthJanuary: 3

February: 7

By StateCalifornia: 1

Colorado: 1

Georgia: 1

Illinois: 1

Maryland: 2

North Dakota: 1

Ohio: 1

Oregon: 1

Utah: 1
https://www.odmp.org/search/year

Sad stories, one and all. My nephew just became an officer in a really crappy suburb of Detroit and I worry about that kid every day. For the life of me I don't know how someone would choose that profession in this day and age. Same goes for teachers and nurses. Its gotta be a calling, that's all I can figure.

Its up to 7 in 7 days. Sad indeed that people would try to end someone's life as well as their own for a blind hatred

Sad stories, one and all. My nephew just became an officer in a really crappy suburb of Detroit and I worry about that kid every day. For the life of me I don't know how someone would choose that profession in this day and age. Same goes for teachers and nurses. Its gotta be a calling, that's all I can figure.
Do you mind me asking which suburb?

The LEOs that I know have said that officers have changed the way they approach situations due to recent events, leaving them more vulnerable. This was specific to the harford county deaths (local) where the cop was shot inside of Panera.

The LEOs that I know have said that officers have changed the way they approach situations due to recent events, leaving them more vulnerable. This was specific to the harford county deaths (local) where the cop was shot inside of Panera.
What I had read about that was that the cops went in expecting to respond to a homeless case and the first officer sat down down next to the guy trying to be less antagonistic and wasn't prepared when the guy pulls out a gun and shoots him at point-blank range.

I saw an interesting tweet last night when Hillary and Bernie were talking about how blacks were being systematically gunned down by cops in the streets. In Chicago 2015:

- 8 people were killed by cops, a drop of 67% in the last 5 years.

- 470 homicides were committed, the highest amount in the last 4 years.

Seems like the focus is a little misplaced.

I saw an interesting tweet last night when Hillary and Bernie were talking about how blacks were being systematically gunned down by cops in the streets. In Chicago 2015:

Many more poor blacks to win votes than LEOs.

Black youths biggest killer are other black youths. Cops have a tough job and it is easy to second guess split second decisions when it is not your butt walking the streets.

Many more poor blacks to win votes than LEOs.
It's not a race thing imho. The ignorant need to stop breeding. It doesn't matter between nature and nurture at this point when you have the chips stacked against both sides.

The media has pitted this as a law enforcement vs. BLM battle.  Most of these articles I see are through those lenses.  While that garners a lot of attention for BLM I don't think it will end up being a good for them. 

cstu said:
Here's the killer:

http://wtvr.com/2016/04/01/trooper-killer-was-from-a-chicago-suburb-with-a-long-record-and-anger-at-police/

Had Dermeyer shot him then BLM would be up in arms over this POS.
The war on police continues.  Looks like a pre planned assassination of a cop by a black man who hates police, and who was likely influenced by anti-police rhetoric being spewed from BLM, perhaps even Hillary and Bernie.  I wonder if Hillary will continue pandering to blacks by citing all the people being gunned down in the streets by cops.  Keep whipping them up into a frenzy.

The war on police continues.  Looks like a pre planned assassination of a cop by a black man who hates police, and who was likely influenced by anti-police rhetoric being spewed from BLM, perhaps even Hillary and Bernie.  I wonder if Hillary will continue pandering to blacks by citing all the people being gunned down in the streets by cops.  Keep whipping them up into a frenzy.
Just stop...seriously.

For a minute there I thought we could have a thread without some idiot turning it political, then I remembered where I was.

Just stop...seriously.

Hillary Clinton, in the days right before the Baltimore riots really took off...

"Yet again the family of a young black men is grieving a life cut short. Yet again the streets of an American city are marred by violence, by shattered glass, and shouts of anger and shows of force.   Yet again a community is reeling, its fault lines laid bare.  From Ferguson to Staten Island to Baltimore, the patterns have become unmistakable and undeniable.

Let me translate that for you - "Hey black people - white cops are killing you left and right and it's not by accident".

Hillary Clinton, in the days right before the Baltimore riots really took off...

"Yet again the family of a young black men is grieving a life cut short. Yet again the streets of an American city are marred by violence, by shattered glass, and shouts of anger and shows of force.   Yet again a community is reeling, its fault lines laid bare.  From Ferguson to Staten Island to Baltimore, the patterns have become unmistakable and undeniable.

Let me translate that for you - "Hey black people - white cops are killing you left and right and it's not by accident".
That was when and you still made the connection to this story 

Its ridiculous...between this and defending that site last night...I'm wondering of you gave up your handle recently to someone else.

That was when and you still made the connection to this story 

Its ridiculous...between this and defending that site last night...I'm wondering of you gave up your handle recently to someone else.
I can give you a whole bunch more recent examples if you want.  From the Feb. 11th debate in Milwaukee...

I would hope that we could all agree that we are sick and tired of seeing videos on television of unarmed people, often African-Americans, shot by police officers.

Hillary Clinton, at the "Brown and Black Forum" in Iowa on January 11th...  The question was asked if white terrorism was as much a threat to some in this country as ISIS.

“I think that when you have police violence that terrorizes communities, that doesn’t show the respect that you’re supposed to have from protecting people in your authority,” Hillary answered. “That can feel, also, terrorizing. So, there are so many different kinds of potential violent acts and we have to go after all of them, we have to stop them all.

We have a real problem in this country that nobody is allowed to talk about, because if you do you're a racist.

I can give you a whole bunch more recent examples if you want.  From the Feb. 11th debate in Milwaukee...

I would hope that we could all agree that we are sick and tired of seeing videos on television of unarmed people, often African-Americans, shot by police officers.
None of which is anti police rhetoric that any reasonable person would connect to thses tragic deaths of officers.

Hillary again, February 23rd, pandering to a predominantly black audience...

On crime, Clinton spoke of a real-world shooting where a young black male was “playing the music in his car too loud with a bunch of his friends, and a white guy comes over and asks him why he’s playing the music too loud, and they exchange words, and he kills him. He shoots and kills him,” Clinton said.

“We are never going to be the nation we should be. We are never going to outlive our legacy, dating back to slavery unless we change our policing habits."

The shooter was subsequently jailed for life by the way.

She's been race baiting incessantly the last 6 months.  And it's worked.  She has like 90% of the black vote.  She works in anecdotes like this into a lot of her speeches, painting the picture that whites and cops are racist and are killing blacks at huge levels.  It's shameful.  It furthers a bogus narrative that blacks are victims and whites are racist and violent.

So Higgs is now turning every thread in the FFA into a Hillary Clinton bashing thread?  Cool story, bro. 

No, not really, bro.
Yeah, really.  It's obnoxious. 

We already have Dr Oadi/rove!/Sida!/exclamation point! guy dropping cut and paste shtick to support their narrative, we don't need it from you also.

Take it to the Hillary thread, or Bernie thread, or one of the 40 Trump threads. 

Last edited by a moderator:

We already have Dr Oadi/rove!/Sida!/explanation point! guy dropping cut and paste shtick to support their narrative, we don't need it from you also.

Take it to the Hillary thread, or Bernie thread, or one of the 40 Trump threads. 
I just did a search.  I have mentioned the word "Hillary" 9 times in the last 3 weeks outside of this thread (and all of them in those threads you mention above) and only 4 of those posts were negative.  I couldn't care less about Hillary, I don't like her or dislike her.  Heck, I might even vote for her.  I mention her when it's appropriate, as it was here.  Like it or not her race baiting, anti-police rhetoric has been noteworthy, and we just had an angry black man assassinate a cop for no apparent reason.

We already have Dr Oadi/rove!/Sida!/explanation point! guy dropping cut and paste shtick to support their narrative, we don't need it from you also.

I just did a search.  I have mentioned the word "Hillary" 9 times in the last 3 weeks outside of this thread and only 4 of those posts were negative.  I couldn't care less about Hillary, I don't like her or dislike her.  Heck, I might even vote for her.  I mention her when it's appropriate, as it was here.  Like it or not her race baiting, anti-police rhetoric has been noteworthy, and we just had an angry black man assassinate a cop for no apparent reason.
Oh I see, you're just white pride guy try to keep us all in line.  Cool, now I understand. :thumbup:

In other news, white people kill cops too.

For better or worse you don't give up once you think you've identified a target (reasonableness be damned). 
Mostly tongue in cheek there but the problem posed in the initial post here blurs color lines.  It would be nice to discuss this without bringing presidential poilitcs into the fray, but that's hard to do around here these days.  That was the point, target be damned. 

Mostly tongue in cheek there but the problem posed in the initial post here blurs color lines.  It would be nice to discuss this without bringing presidential poilitcs into the fray, but that's hard to do around here these days.  That was the point, target be damned. 
I agree to an extant but this topic can be helped, or harmed, based in some part on the rhetoric leaders choose to address it with. 

proninja said:
Is there a place for someone who thinks it's equally tragic when an innocent cop gets killed by a civilian as it is when an innocent civilian gets killed by a cop, or do I have to pick a side so I can blame all the people on the other side?
It's less tragic when someone with a long criminal history is killed by a cop.

proninja said:
It's less tragic when someone with a long criminal history is killed by a cop.
I don't think that a long criminal history means that someone deserves to die, so I'm going to have to disagree with you. 
I agree with your original post, I think the death of that guy in SCar and in NY that were in the news were particularly horrific.  Police have a responsibility to be the protectors of the population and sometimes they fail to do so, and the consequences are tragic.  I don't think all deaths at the hands of police are sad though, some criminals and animals deserve their fate by leading cops on chases where innocent people are at danger, by violent criminals who decide death by cop is the only way out, and by those who disregard the tenants of society and law.  I'm not losing any sleep over most of those people, they will not be missed. 

So you and CTSU are both right, but each death is something we have to judge individually.

Users who are viewing this thread