What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Getting Tickets at Fenway*** (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
Heading to Boston for Memorial Day weekend and would like to see a game at Fenway. The only option is Monday night (5/28, Memorial Day), against the Indians.

what's the best way to get a couple tix without paying an arm and a leg? scalpers on game day? craigslist?

craigslist day of the game or scalping (wait until after game starts) - either way you can get them around face if it ain't the Yankees.

Nigel said:
craigslist day of the game or scalping (wait until after game starts) - either way you can get them around face if it ain't the Yankees.
Rude- I expect you'll stop by Agganis Arena, maybe Walter Brown Arena to pay tribute to Chris Drury? The rinks will probably be closed for the holiday ( too bad-there's a great hall of fame in Agganis), but a moment of reflection outside wouldn't be out of line. I think you owe it to Chris.Assuming you've read this as well- Drury, The Winner

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel said:
Rude- I expect you'll stop by Agganis Arena, maybe Walter Brown Arena to pay tribute to Chris Drury? The rinks will probably be closed for the holiday ( too bad-there's a great hall of fame in Agganis), but a moment of reflection outside wouldn't be out of line. I think you owe it to Chris.Assuming you've read this as well- Drury, The Winner
I'd love to.That article was awesome. I subscribe to SI so I read it in the mag when it came out.

This will be my first time returning to Boston since I spent one night there in December 1995 and had my car broken into while hanging out at Jillian's at Fenway. ####### sucked.

It depends how secure you are in going somewhere without tickets, but I have frequently gone to Fenway without tickets and picked some up outside the park--even for Sox/Yanks--at reasonable prices. Two or three times I found people that GAVE me two seats for FREE . . . including a doctor that had an extra pair second row right next to the dugout. While I doubt with the Sox on a tear that you'll find people giving them away, you may be able to find people with EXTRA tickets (read as non-scalpers) not looking to make a lot off of them. If you can wait it out, the closer you get to game time the lower prices will be and once the game starts you can often get tickets BELOW cost. Nothing like a guy standing outside with 50 tickets for a game that already started . . .

I will be in the Boston area this weekend with my wife and 18 month old

I would like to get into Fenway to watch abit.

Problem is, we will have our child with us, and I am not crazy about spending close to $200 for a pair of seats of which we may have to stand up go to a standing area if/when my daughter gets restless.

So,

I wouldn't be opposed to buying tickets from one of those nice fellas outside the stadium the day of the game. Heck I would't care to buy the tickets in the 4th inning.

Anyone have any experience?

Where to buy?

What kind of pricing you can get?

Should I just buy a pair of stanfing room only tix?

I mainly want to go, to be in the atmopshere of Fenway, not so much to watch the game.

Any advice?

i just did this last weekend

yanks vs sox got a bleacher seat for $30 in the 3rd innning outside of cask and flaggon

I will be in the Boston area this weekend with my wife and 18 month oldI would like to get into Fenway to watch abit.Problem is, we will have our child with us, and I am not crazy about spending close to $200 for a pair of seats of which we may have to stand up go to a standing area if/when my daughter gets restless.So, I wouldn't be opposed to buying tickets from one of those nice fellas outside the stadium the day of the game. Heck I would't care to buy the tickets in the 4th inning.Anyone have any experience?Where to buy?What kind of pricing you can get?Should I just buy a pair of stanfing room only tix?I mainly want to go, to be in the atmopshere of Fenway, not so much to watch the game.Any advice?
The Giants and Bonds are in town for the 1st time ever.Not going to be an easy ticket to get.Like the person above me said. I would suggest trying around the 2nd, 3rd inning and get tickets from a scalper.I have tickets for Friday and Saturday. :hifive:

got great tickets for a game on memorial day on ebay for not much more than face value. tix were shipped to my hotel room on the saturday before the game. seems the best way to go if you want to ensure that you'll get in.

I will be in the Boston area this weekend with my wife and 18 month oldI would like to get into Fenway to watch abit.Problem is, we will have our child with us, and I am not crazy about spending close to $200 for a pair of seats of which we may have to stand up go to a standing area if/when my daughter gets restless.So, I wouldn't be opposed to buying tickets from one of those nice fellas outside the stadium the day of the game. Heck I would't care to buy the tickets in the 4th inning.Anyone have any experience?Where to buy?What kind of pricing you can get?Should I just buy a pair of stanfing room only tix?I mainly want to go, to be in the atmopshere of Fenway, not so much to watch the game.Any advice?
The Giants and Bonds are in town for the 1st time ever.Not going to be an easy ticket to get.Like the person above me said. I would suggest trying around the 2nd, 3rd inning and get tickets from a scalper.I have tickets for Friday and Saturday. :hifive:
Yea, I realize it may be the toughest ticket behind Yankees/Red SoxBut I would assume I could get lucky in the 3rd 4th 5th???If you get the runs on Saturday and have to head home early....call me, I'll buy your used tickets!! :bag:

got great tickets for a game on memorial day on ebay for not much more than face value. tix were shipped to my hotel room on the saturday before the game. seems the best way to go if you want to ensure that you'll get in.
That was my issue with NOT buying them now.Id hate to go there and NOT get in.I will be there SAT & SUN so I would have 2 days to try to get in.I have been scouring for seats on ebay, but anything NOT "Standing Room Only" seems to go for about $100 per ticket.

As I mentioned in A-Rud's thread from May, I have gone plenty of times to sold out games and got in for a reasonable cost (and sometimes free). Even Yankees games in the heat of the pennant race in September. Anywhere around the stadium should be fine. And once the game actually starts ticket prices should be near face value (maybe even less). I guy holding 50 tickets with no traffic around the park will take something over nothing any day of the week. At this point every game is a sell out, so you can pretty much can rule out whomever they are playing (except maybe the Yankees) as a rationale for getting in or not. One trick I have used is setting aside a certain amount that you are willing to spend and basically tell someone that's all you've got. In mid speech take the money out of your pocket to illustrate that that's all you have. It prety much takes the inflated negotiating power of the guy on the street out of the mix. I've even taken to pulling out a newspaper and sitting right next to the guy and reminding him that you're still interested if he is willing to lower the price. I have never gone to Fenway and not gotten in (and never paid an arm and a leg either).

If you are really in it for the atmosphere, I have gone well nefore game time and a few times the box office released some tickets a few hours before game time. I live for the vendor sausage carts (although my doctor won't like to hear that).

As I mentioned in A-Rud's thread from May, I have gone plenty of times to sold out games and got in for a reasonable cost (and sometimes free). Even Yankees games in the heat of the pennant race in September. Anywhere around the stadium should be fine. And once the game actually starts ticket prices should be near face value (maybe even less). I guy holding 50 tickets with no traffic around the park will take something over nothing any day of the week. At this point every game is a sell out, so you can pretty much can rule out whomever they are playing (except maybe the Yankees) as a rationale for getting in or not. One trick I have used is setting aside a certain amount that you are willing to spend and basically tell someone that's all you've got. In mid speech take the money out of your pocket to illustrate that that's all you have. It prety much takes the inflated negotiating power of the guy on the street out of the mix. I've even taken to pulling out a newspaper and sitting right next to the guy and reminding him that you're still interested if he is willing to lower the price. I have never gone to Fenway and not gotten in (and never paid an arm and a leg either).If you are really in it for the atmosphere, I have gone well nefore game time and a few times the box office released some tickets a few hours before game time. I live for the vendor sausage carts (although my doctor won't like to hear that).
Awesome post.Thanks great info!How "safe" is it to buy tix out there?Any worries from police?Id hate for my 1st memory of taking my daughter to a baseball game start and end with me being dragged into a cop car :confused:

As I mentioned in A-Rud's thread from May, I have gone plenty of times to sold out games and got in for a reasonable cost (and sometimes free). Even Yankees games in the heat of the pennant race in September. Anywhere around the stadium should be fine. And once the game actually starts ticket prices should be near face value (maybe even less). I guy holding 50 tickets with no traffic around the park will take something over nothing any day of the week. At this point every game is a sell out, so you can pretty much can rule out whomever they are playing (except maybe the Yankees) as a rationale for getting in or not. One trick I have used is setting aside a certain amount that you are willing to spend and basically tell someone that's all you've got. In mid speech take the money out of your pocket to illustrate that that's all you have. It prety much takes the inflated negotiating power of the guy on the street out of the mix. I've even taken to pulling out a newspaper and sitting right next to the guy and reminding him that you're still interested if he is willing to lower the price. I have never gone to Fenway and not gotten in (and never paid an arm and a leg either).If you are really in it for the atmosphere, I have gone well nefore game time and a few times the box office released some tickets a few hours before game time. I live for the vendor sausage carts (although my doctor won't like to hear that).
Awesome post.Thanks great info!How "safe" is it to buy tix out there?Any worries from police?Id hate for my 1st memory of taking my daughter to a baseball game start and end with me being dragged into a cop car :confused:
No worries in that regard. Every now and then they'll arrest a few scalpers to keep them on their toes, but I've never heard of someone buying a ticket getting pinched. The scalpers operate very overtly outside Fenway, with plenty of cops within sight. I never have a problem getting a ticket for around face, usually after the first inning. Go the e-bay route if you want to avoid the hassle, but I actually enjoy it.

if you are ever in Toronto and want to watch the Jays :confused: just walk by the stadium 10 minutes after the game starts and the scalpers will throw tickets at you.

I find that there are really only two types with tickets at games, concerts, or any other event: those that have a couple of extra tickets and are going to the event, and those that are scalpers with a fistful of tickets looking to squeeze every last penny out of the general populus.

The scalpers are easier to find (and are the ones the cops would most likely be looking at). The first group are the ones you really want to try to find (but are a lot harder to identify). I generally hang out near the corner of the stadium near left field (as that's where most of the foot traffic is) and take inventory of who is out there. There are normally a couple scalpers in the general vicinity and I observe what they are asking and whether they sell any tickets (which they may) and whether the cops jump them. If not, you know that they are probably ok to buy from in a pinch.

I generally start filtering through the crowd around there making it known that you need a couple tickets, who has tickets, blah blah blah. I remember one time I bumped into a surgeon from Mass General that had a box and he and his wife were going alone and thus had two extra tickets. (Lucky ******* had a hottie 25 year old wife when he was mid 50s. Sorry, no pics.) Anyway, they gave me and a friend of mine two tix for the game--a late season DOUBLE HEADER against the Yanks--second row next to the Sox dugout. They were awesome and even bought us a couple beers during the games and we swapped stories of Red sox nation for hours.

Many times people may have a couple extra seats and will offer them to you at a slight mark up. Sure, once in a while you get a schmuck who wants $250 for a $40 ticket and you just ignore them and move on. If it looks like you are not getting anywhere, that's when I would move on to the hired help and see how quickly tickets are selling. Strangely, I normally target the guy with the biggest stack and the highest prices because once the game starts he will have the most tickets to get rid of.

I have used this strategy countless times and ended up with front row seats to U2, REM, Pink Floyd, and the Grateful Dead at face value or free (basically buy us a couple beers and we'll call it even). many times I'll find groups of people that bought tickets for 12 people but only came with 8 or 10 cause their friends bailed out last minute and they were not looking to put the thumb screws to people.

Oddly, the only time in 25 years of going to events that I could not get tickets was to a sold out They Might Be Giants show. That makes no sense, but that's what happened (and my "sure thing" date quickly became a "don't call me again" disaster).

Oh ya, on Lansdowne they sell extra tickets two hours before gametime, at face value, at Gate C area. Show up 3 hrs early for guaranteed tickets. You will need to go straight into the park though (no exception). Info is on redsox.com

wilked said:
Oh ya, on Lansdowne they sell extra tickets two hours before gametime, at face value, at Gate C area. Show up 3 hrs early for guaranteed tickets. You will need to go straight into the park though (no exception). Info is on redsox.com
:goodposting: I was going to suggest this

wilked said:
:D The only thing is that with Bonds in town perhaps he'll have to go even earlier.

OK, so here is how this played out...

I get to Fenway about 5PM on Saturday (1 hour into the game).

I got my cash in pocket like David mentioned...

I cross over the Mass pike, and on that bridge I see 1 guy selling a set of 3 tickets to some guys...I pass by

Another guy walking by says he has only 1 ticket.

I ignore.

We get over the bridge, and tons of people at the corner restaurant, no one approaches us, we walk down that street behind the green monster. to the corner, make a right, and no one seems to be around.

So we get close to a window, where an older guy who works at the stadium asks us if "were set".

I say no, im looking for tix.

He goes to teller at the window, mumbles something, then he come running over to me and tells me to GO TO GATE E, BUT GO FAST, THEY MAY HAVE SOMETHING AVAILABLE, BUT GO FAST!!!!!

So we scurry back to gate E, initially where we came accross, and I see a line of about 80 people at GATE E.

I stand there, with my 18 month old, and my wife goes around investigating, we find out that about an hour after game time they release some tickets.

SO im like cool!!

About 40 minuutes go by, line moves slowly, I get to window, and I buy face value tickets $45 seats, behind homeplate about 20 rows up.

We walk in we hear a, BIG ROAR, it was Manny's solo shot.

We get to our seat its the 4th inning, and we have a great time at the game

:scared:

Thanks,

$90 on tix pluse a $25 parking tikcet for unpaid meter, Im pretty happy.

Great stadium, great atmosphere, great crowd.

GREAT TIME

I'll be in Boston on Thursday August 2. The Sox have a day game vs the Orioles.

I'd like to see the game, but have no interest in paying crazy prices for tickets.

Any advice on good bars to check for tickets, scalp-free zones near the stadium, location for any gameday ticket dumps from the team, recent success stories of getting Sox tickets.

I'll be in Boston on Thursday August 2. The Sox have a day game vs the Orioles.

I'd like to see the game, but have no interest in paying crazy prices for tickets.

Any advice on good bars to check for tickets, scalp-free zones near the stadium, location for any gameday ticket dumps from the team, recent success stories of getting Sox tickets.

just before gametime there is always a ticket dump at face value. Line forms early... for a day game vs the O's 3 hours before gametime should be sufficient.

I would try the ticket window on game day at Fenway. They usually release tickets the day of the game. I usually find a decent deal from someone on Craigslist but usually you have to meet the person and exchange cash for tickets so that probably wouldn't be very useful to you seeing your not from 'round here.

Other than that you could probably get a decent deal from a scalper if you're willing to go in a little late. At that point they just want to dump their tickets.

The Orioles usually aren't a "hot" game so you should have some luck.

I'll be in Boston on Thursday August 2. The Sox have a day game vs the Orioles.I'd like to see the game, but have no interest in paying crazy prices for tickets. Any advice on good bars to check for tickets, scalp-free zones near the stadium, location for any gameday ticket dumps from the team, recent success stories of getting Sox tickets.
Weekday day game should bring prices near face value outside of the park....wait until the first inning has begun and you should get a decent deal. Just don't sit down in right field.....anything from section 1-12 in the grandstand is usually not worth it. Anywhere in left field is excellent.

Went there in May to see the Tigers (out of pure luck). I used Stubhub.com last time. We got 4 tickets, right field corner next to the bullpen, 2nd row for about $90-100 each. $100 when you factor in all the taxes and charges, etc.

Finless said:
how high do tickets go for against the yanks? On average
Usually $200 for bleachers up to over a $1000 for great field box seats.
:goodposting: I've been able to get 2 Bleacher seats for $250-300 but that was on ebay.

We just paid $130ea including fees for 8 together Infield Grandstand (about 40 rows behind home plate) for a MOnday Rangers game... this was on stubhub

So look like my options are:

try the ticket windows, but expect a long line or a sell out if I don't get there early.

or

wait until after the game has started.

Any bars/restaurants near the stadium where I might have luck finding tickets?

Thanks to SteelCurtain for the left field advice, any other advice on seating areas to avoid. I'd rather not scalp a ticket on my first trip to Fenway and end up in a miserable seat.

So look like my options are:try the ticket windows, but expect a long line or a sell out if I don't get there early.or wait until after the game has started.Any bars/restaurants near the stadium where I might have luck finding tickets?Thanks to SteelCurtain for the left field advice, any other advice on seating areas to avoid. I'd rather not scalp a ticket on my first trip to Fenway and end up in a miserable seat.
If you really want to see the game and not hassle with scalping/haggling, give stubhub a try. It's easy, the pickup window is less than a block away and we had no problems at all.. all the prices will seem a bit high, but that's the approach I'll take the next time I go back to Fenway.

With very little effort you will have absolutely no problem getting a face value ticket for a weekday O's afternoon game. Most non-Yanks games you can get a single ticket at face for that matter. Do not get raped by a ticket agency.

eta: if I wasn't clear, I'm talking about scalping day of the game

I would go to craigslist, there are a lot of season ticket holders that try to unload their tix there and if you think about it, if you wanted to scam someone would you do it in a face-to-face transaction? Altho I did hear they could "email" you the tickets so if they insist on that route then I'd be a little leary unless there was an easy way to verify the authenticity or do it via escrow somehow.

Cask N Flagon. Spend your $$ on a beer tab.
That's the best advice. Spend it on beer and if they win...right before the last out go run out to the stadium and act as if you just came out. If they lose do the same. I like BostonI like the area around Fenway during baseball.I like the mystique and history of Fenway.I don't like getting raped for tickets to Fenway.

Users who are viewing this thread