What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PC Baseball sim games (1 Viewer)

Mookie Blaylock

Footballguy
Ten years ago I played all the Tony Larussa games until the CDs wouldn't work. Anyone still play these games? If so, what's the game to have these days?

Baseball Mogul is the way to go. There's also Out of The Park if you want more of a day-to-day control of your team, but I enjoy Baseball Mogul because simming seasons are a breeze and they offer every season from 1901 on that is able to be simmed.

I think someone in the Baseball Forum posted a thread where you could get a free copy of Baseball Mogul if you PM him.

Baseball Mogul is the way to go. There's also Out of The Park if you want more of a day-to-day control of your team, but I enjoy Baseball Mogul because simming seasons are a breeze and they offer every season from 1901 on that is able to be simmed.I think someone in the Baseball Forum posted a thread where you could get a free copy of Baseball Mogul if you PM him.
Thanks! I'll check both out.

You may also want to check out Diamond Mind Baseball. I use that exclusively in many draft and older player leagues. If you are interested more in statistical accuracy and outstanding radio-style play by play then DMB is worth looking into. It's not overly graphics-based, and has a very loyal following.

I remember in the early 80's I always used to play SSI Computer Baseball on my old Apple II+.

All of the kids in the nieghborhood would get together and pay an owner fee of $2.00 per team and we'd play out a 8 team tourney with best of 5 rounds.

How sad I am. This thread is talking PC baseball

I miss the days of rolling dice. Doesn't anybody else?

Strat-O-Matic in the late 70s and all through the 80s.

That 1980 season was a great one. We wore out those cards. It got so bad we had a hard time reading results on some of them.

4-4 NHR on the pitcher card

-5 throwing arms in the outfield

AAA base stealers

Then is 1990 I moved up to Pursue the Pennant. I loved that game!

I want to roll some dice :cry:

Those two look pretty cool. Which one would you say is better?

Have you checked out What If Sports? I play Hardball Dynasty and Gridiron Dynsaty.

It's a great site.

HH

Ten years ago I played all the Tony Larussa games until the CDs wouldn't work. Anyone still play these games? If so, what's the game to have these days?
I still have a couple versions of Tony LaRussa on floppy disk. Earl Weaver too. :(
I ran sim leagues on both of those throughout high school and college. Earl Weaver was the best because you could make your own stadiums by customizing field dimensions and the height of the outfield wall by each section (8 in all).

I joined a sim league recently but quickly lost interest because of how fast they sim through a season.

I understand the point of a sim league is to be able to move quicker and play in the offseason - but when I used to play in Diamond Mind leagues, we simmed 1 weeks of play - 3 times a week and that was perfect to set lineup adjustments, make trades, cover for serious injuries, etc.

The leagues out there these days sim a month at a time every day or so. I don't want to be in year 2020 within 6 months, just not as fun from my perspective.

Baseball Mogul is an awesome experience to if you're looking to pop your cherry in the sim genre. Many a fun times had with that game, and it blows the "dynasty"/"career" modes in console games out of the water. OOTP may be a little too detailed for all but the biggest of baseball stat nerds, but fun nonetheless...

I think I've controlled the White Sox for 300 seasons in the '07 version of the game, good times, the record books are fun to look at...

The best of all PC sim games, imo, is Fast Break College Basketball...it's a college basketball fans dream...

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing in an OOTP league for about 2.5 years, good group of owners. Sim 5 days at a time (sim is every night at 7 pm pst), lots of active gms and probably only 1-2 teams on computer control right now (out of 30).

If anyone has interest in joining, post here and I'll pm you the details.

Out Of The Park 11 takes any baseball sim game and kicks it square in the nuts. Picked it up today and it's awesome!

More info
:confused: I haven't played mine in a few months but it is absolutely amazing.

ETA - worth every penny. I generally download anything I can get but this is worth paying for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still playing Strat. In two leagues, one that is playing current players and another which is currently playing the 1965 season

iOOTP 2012 is available in the iTunes appstore. I'm replaying the 1924 season until the 2012 roster updates get posted. I didn't play last year's iPhone version so I don't know what's new. The developers managed to cram a lot of the desktop version into a small form factor. The sim engine is solid; AI manager makes some curious moves but they're within the realm of possibility. I'll have to see how it handles modern benches and bullpens. The interface is pretty good except for the occasional case of fat fingering defensive substitutions.

Users who are viewing this thread