What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (1 Viewer)

Sooo....

We were wanting to move up to the larger lot to open up space for the smoker (had to "steal" space for it this past year) and more porta potties.

Current size 24x50.

Next size up: 34x54 (biggest lot you can get, only a few available).

Memphis in May contacted our scaffold lead about the size of our booth again and they got to talking. Looks like MIM is going to GIVE us a free upgrade to the giant spot in exchange for hanging a MIM BBQfest banner on our the booth. Apparently they noticed that ####LOADS of people were snapping photos of the booth, and asking to go up top to take panoramic shots of the park (best view). Also talk about mounting a official festival live feed camera to the top of our structure given the view.

Soooo.. yeah, our MIM BBQfest booth is now partially sponsored by the festival itself :lol:
Are you going to be able to leverage this into getting permission to triple deck again???

Are you going to be able to leverage this into getting permission to triple deck again???
:yes:

So "scaffoldzilla" will now be potentially increasing by about 30% over last year. :unsure: Looking at improving the layout a touch... but yeah, we'll have a ridiculous presence again next year, it looks like (funding permitting).

We'll need to raise about $21-22k this year after team dues....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...Lang 84 Deluxe. Just the basic 108 at work as I have warmers in the way of actual ovens here.

I did close the restaurant on Monday & Tuesday last week....I account for nearly 80 hours on the schedule (at counter or on the line) + all the stuff I'm not scheduled to do....so eliminating two of our slowest days was good for my staff & peace of mind. They had a killer week while I was gone and did a great job.

The fest....whoa. I cannot believe how big scaffoldzilla was. I am still thinking about it. Tipsy missed most of the partying because of I had to feed everyone and compete in my first event as the solo pitmaster. Overall I am very happy with my food even though I didn't do so great score wise. I know what some of my mistakes were, but I have no idea on some others. I do know judging is a crap shoot wherever you go. I'll refine some stuff and completely change other dishes for next year.

Missing the party is ok with me, but next year I'll stay downtown and have my timing worked out better in regards to getting the tent fed every meal. The kitchen those guys assembled for me was outstanding for an open air structure.

Great to "MEAT" all you fbg's. sorry about the syphilis sbomomonomominio
You did great GB

The wings were good but not as good as last year IMO.

The beef was the best Ive ever had, including the 2nd or 3rd place beef finish a few years back

The lamb was spectacular...that mint julep glaze set it off.

Never got a oyster off the batch...some dickmitten snaked mine i set aside :hot:

Never got a thigh off the batch, but the others were very good.

The first batch of comp ribs were spectacular... arguably best ive ever had. The ones the judges got def were a notch down (harder to pull)... perhaps, as we discussed, there is something to a short foiling period. I have zero doubts you'll have it nailed next year. Sent ya some pics of friends setup/box/etc who took 6th as info.

Next year Livy will be dedicated to pit and I'll spend more time back there as needed to help ya get necessary precook/prep done for mass feedings so you dont have to sweat much until fri AM and Sat AM. We can also pare back the ancillary entries if you prefer. Your call chef. :)
I will raise my hand early to be a gopher with Livy if needed.......

Sooo....

We were wanting to move up to the larger lot to open up space for the smoker (had to "steal" space for it this past year) and more porta potties.

Current size 24x50.

Memphis in May contacted our scaffold lead about the size of our booth again and they got to talking. Looks like MIM is going to GIVE us a free upgrade to the giant spot in exchange for hanging a MIM BBQfest banner on our the booth. Apparently they noticed that ####LOADS of people were snapping photos of the booth, and asking to go up top to take panoramic shots of the park (best view). Also talk about mounting a official festival live feed camera to the top of our structure given the view.

Soooo.. yeah, our MIM BBQfest booth is now partially sponsored by the festival itself :lol:
Wow...this is a testament to the work of this team. Great job all!

Sooo....

Current size 24x50.

Wow...this is a testament to the work of this team. Great job all!
It was a magnificent structure ...

Next year Livy will be dedicated to pit and I'll spend more time back there as needed to help ya get necessary precook/prep done for mass feedings so you dont have to sweat much until fri AM and Sat AM. We can also pare back the ancillary entries if you prefer. Your call chef. :)
I will raise my hand early to be a gopher with Livy if needed.......
I'll say your / your brother's names are in very serious consideration for the team (came up again yesterday when drinking beer poolside with some guys on the team). IF that shakes out (looking pretty likely at this point) I'm sure Neil would love the extra hands during crunch times. :thumbup:

wings on wednesdays have begun. first thing i'm noticing is the wings have just a bit too much sweetness from the brine. this works somewhat...but i'm going to scale it back and bring in some heat.

facebook has photos

Why hello all!

Second monthly meeting for the 2015 festival is this evening. Some quick notes:

• $5000 sponsorship already landed. Several other irons in the fire. Total budget for 2015 is $20k cash on top of other considerations.

• Lagunitas Brewing is on board again for 2015. Now that they have distribution in Memphis it will be much simpler than previous years that involved special logistics to get the beer into our region. We will have 2 pallets (16 kegs) of their Daytime (light IPA) and then 1 pallet (8 kegs) of their flagship IPA.

• There have been some changes in administration for Memphis in May. We are HOPING the free upgrade to the mega spot is intact. If not, we'll work within the existing footprint.

• Semi-Celeb Pitmaster Chef Troy Black is coming on board to provide a much needed second set of experienced hands in the pit, as well as to help teach us the subtle competition tweaks that will get us some hardware this year. Troy is one of the more decorated Pitmasters in the country with tons of hardware to his name. I talked with Neil when it was mentioned he was interested in coming aboard and he was gung ho about the help. :thumbup: So yeah... we're adding a competition ringer on top of Tipsy's already prolific pit skills. :hifive:

• Our light and sound sponsor has confirmed they are indeed on board this year for a bigger and better setup... pretty much whatever we want.

• We've added a team member from my Italian fest team that has extensive comp team organization experience and is possibly the best italian chef I know (his gravy has dominated the old guard the past few years). In addition, he's a liquor rep with lots of contacts to get our booze comped for this year, saving us 4 figures and expanding our bar offering.

• We may be adding acrobatic performance to the entertainment. A new team member is extremely well connected in the regional DJ and performance art community. His monthly loft parties are the stuff of legend, usually featuring professional hoop girls (w/ LED hoops), poi spinners / fire breathers, and now acrobatic chicks swinging from hoops above the crowd in his loft. The girls were VERY excited and pretty much begging to be able to perform at BBQfest. So we may add a live cirque-de-soliel element above the dance floor next year. :bowtie:

• Our very own FBG Sbonomo and his brother have formally been added to the team and have already been great contributors to meetings/ideas/etc. :thumbup:

• Hotels have already been booked for myself and several others. Westin on Beale again. Now is a good time to start looking into options if you're planning on coming!

Just gotta line up more funds and this year should be the stuff of legends....

Good call foos...

This year's dates are : MAY 14-16th, 2015

Reminder on hotel accommodations:

Westin - 4 to 4.5 Stars - Very close, adjacent to Beale Street as well
Madison - 4.5 Stars - Close, beautiful hotel. Great rooftop bar. Currently $215/nt on Hotwire.

Peabody - 4.5 Stars - South's grand hotel. Close.

There are many other options as well. If you're questioning the hotel, please PM me or post here and I'll gladly give you the rundown on the area/property. Searching for proximity to 1 Beale Street, Memphis, TN should give you distance to the entrance of the festival.

• We may be adding acrobatic performance to the entertainment. A new team member is extremely well connected in the regional DJ and performance art community. His monthly loft parties are the stuff of legend, usually featuring professional hoop girls (w/ LED hoops), poi spinners / fire breathers, and now acrobatic chicks swinging from hoops above the crowd in his loft. The girls were VERY excited and pretty much begging to be able to perform at BBQfest. So we may add a live cirque-de-soliel element above the dance floor next year. :bowtie:
Wow, those are all some amazing improvements, nearly across the board. :thumbup:

The performance aspect is the one that sounds most revolutionary to me, that would seemingly without question make you guys the number one destination and photo op at the event.

Wow, those are all some amazing improvements, nearly across the board. :thumbup:

The performance aspect is the one that sounds most revolutionary to me, that would seemingly without question make you guys the number one destination and photo op at the event.
Yeah on this front we're not 100% sure... depends on festival regulations and such but we're optimistic. This won't be leaping/swinging as much as mid-air yoga-type posing in rings in sexy outfits above the crowd.

Pic of the girl performing at the halloween loft party last Friday.

Kinda more of an eyecandy detail that just adds another layer of overkill/excess to the whole thing.

Regarding improvements, we had a post-festival roundup form that went to all members asking for feedback on all facets of the event. Now making moves to improve on what we did last year. More porta potties (going with 4, up from 2 last year.... lines were bad). Help for Neil in the pit/kitchen (we churn out a LOT of food), and streamlining some details with the party/bar/entertainment.

What's up guys!

Been a while since I've updated... apologies. Our new "website" is live... very simple but serves our purpose.

FUNDING:
We're very much in the gathering sponsors phase still but we're doing well. We've got $6 grand in the bank, $3-4k more committed as of about 30 minutes ago. We've got a $9-10k deal that is close to locked in with CDW and potentially another $4-5k with Cisco that should be inked within a few weeks.

We're cautiously optimistic we will NOT have any funding issues this year. Most of these deals are looking like ongoing sponsorships as well, meaning all team activities (other comps, next year's BBQfest, etc) should be fully funded in perpetuity, so we can quick having to chase down money every year.

PITMASTERS/KITCHEN:
Neil is unable to commit 100% with this coming restaurant expansion, but thankfully between our secondary pitmaster (Troy Black) and many guys on our team being capable backyard BBQ'ers...we SHOULD be able to pick up the slack in his absence. It won't be easy and his presence will be SORELY missed if he's unable to make it.

We're in talks with Yi Lynne Weber about joining unofficially on "helper" basis. She not only has considerable cooking skills (MasterChef (US & England editions), Cutthroat kitchen, World Food Championships in Las Vegas), but is also an expert Food Stylist to assist with finishing presentation of our blind box entries. Not to mention she's gorgeous... shot of her (left) with Troy Black.

IF YOU'RE WANTING TO COME (HOTEL OPTIONS):
If you've not booked your lodging, you've missed the "cheap" window and should not jump on anything you can find within reason.

• Madison Hotel $222 - Gorgeous hotel in a very good location. $222 is a very good price for this place at this stage.

• Sheraton Hotel : $209 - Not the best location... 15 min walk or short cab ride. But it's a nice property for a decent price.
• Peabody Hotel: $358 - South's grand hotel. If you've got a big budget and want a great location. Here you go!
• Econo Lodge: $89 - Surprisingly good deal and not a bad hotel. Near the peabody so very good location. On a budget?

WHEN TO COME:
Just a reminder of the schedule:
• WED NIGHT : Team night and booth may be closed for a sponsor dinner. If you're in, hit beale street!
• THURS DAY : Quiet. good chance to explore park or chill at booth. Lunch served.
• THURS NIGHT : Good party. Dinner served. Park will be fairly crowded and lively.
• FRI DAY: Busier than Thursday by a good bit. Live music and lunch will be served. Lots of Comp Turn ins. Good times.
• FRI NIGHT: The WIldest party. We will be at capacity so come early. Dinner Served. Great times.
• SAT DAY: Competition day. Limited booth access early on. Limited party after judging. Awards at 5pm. We shut down by nightfall.

The check has been cashed...

Memphis in May has cashed our application check, meaning (barring anything crazy) we are officially accepted into the festival again this year. Our scaffold guy who interacts with the brass at MIM regularly has heard from "his guy" that we should be good to go with the awesome endcap spot again. :thumbup:

Now the waiting game begins.

We're in final stages of negotiation with Cisco ($2-5k) and CDW ($7-10k) on sponsorship as well. Should know in the next week or so. Currently have $9-10k promised... need ~$11k more to comfortably reach our funding goals. Can do okay with less... but that's the goal.

:popcorn:

What's up guys!

Been a while since I've updated... apologies. Our new "website" is live... very simple but serves our purpose.

FUNDING:

We're very much in the gathering sponsors phase still but we're doing well. We've got $6 grand in the bank, $3-4k more committed as of about 30 minutes ago. We've got a $9-10k deal that is close to locked in with CDW and potentially another $4-5k with Cisco that should be inked within a few weeks.

We're cautiously optimistic we will NOT have any funding issues this year. Most of these deals are looking like ongoing sponsorships as well, meaning all team activities (other comps, next year's BBQfest, etc) should be fully funded in perpetuity, so we can quick having to chase down money every year.

PITMASTERS/KITCHEN:

Neil is unable to commit 100% with this coming restaurant expansion, but thankfully between our secondary pitmaster (Troy Black) and many guys on our team being capable backyard BBQ'ers...we SHOULD be able to pick up the slack in his absence. It won't be easy and his presence will be SORELY missed if he's unable to make it.

We're in talks with Yi Lynne Weber about joining unofficially on "helper" basis. She not only has considerable cooking skills (MasterChef (US & England editions), Cutthroat kitchen, World Food Championships in Las Vegas), but is also an expert Food Stylist to assist with finishing presentation of our blind box entries. Not to mention she's gorgeous... shot of her (left) with Troy Black.

If you've not booked your lodging, you've missed the "cheap" window and should not jump on anything you can find within reason.

• Madison Hotel $222 - Gorgeous hotel in a very good location. $222 is a very good price for this place at this stage.

• Sheraton Hotel : $209 - Not the best location... 15 min walk or short cab ride. But it's a nice property for a decent price.

• Peabody Hotel: $358 - South's grand hotel. If you've got a big budget and want a great location. Here you go!

• Econo Lodge: $89 - Surprisingly good deal and not a bad hotel. Near the peabody so very good location. On a budget?

WHEN TO COME:

• WED NIGHT : Team night and booth may be closed for a sponsor dinner. If you're in, hit beale street!

• THURS DAY : Quiet. good chance to explore park or chill at booth. Lunch served.

• THURS NIGHT : Good party. Dinner served. Park will be fairly crowded and lively.

• FRI DAY: Busier than Thursday by a good bit. Live music and lunch will be served. Lots of Comp Turn ins. Good times.

• FRI NIGHT: The WIldest party. We will be at capacity so come early. Dinner Served. Great times.

• SAT DAY: Competition day. Limited booth access early on. Limited party after judging. Awards at 5pm. We shut down by nightfall.
every bit of info I could possibly need.

Except the dates

What's up guys!

FUNDING:

PITMASTERS/KITCHEN:

WHEN TO COME:

every bit of info I could possibly need.

Except the dates
Sorry buddy.. it was a few posts up from that but It had been a while since I posted that detail.

May 14th - 16th, with the 14/15th being the big social days/nights.... ancillary comps fri... then main event judging and awards sat the 16th, with limited booth availability during judging, but things open up to a mild gathering afterward. :thumbup:

Really bummed I'm likely out. But....biz before pleasure I guess.
I had planned on coming this year and was so pumped. Just found out my little sister's graduation is that weekend...family first but damn. Guess it'll have to be next year. Are the Thursday festivities worth attending if all you are gonna get are Thu night and Friday lunch?

I had planned on coming this year and was so pumped. Just found out my little sister's graduation is that weekend...family first but damn. Guess it'll have to be next year. Are the Thursday festivities worth attending if all you are gonna get are Thu night and Friday lunch?
If grading the crowds / party based on number of folks and crazyness:Thursday afternoon: C

Thursday night: A-

Friday afternoon: B

Friday night: A+ / capacity

Sat afternoon : closed till 1 or 2pm for judging (can pass beers out to seating outside the booth for those watching judging. 2-6 or 7 is a mild party kinda like fri afternoon.

Friday afternoon is a great vibe though... Relax, enjoy the lunch, walk the park. Get back to the booth by 4pm or so before it gets packed.

Thursday night is a good crowd with the booth Hitting 70-90pct of capacity at peak times.

Thursday night and Friday afternoon would not leave you feeling like you missed out.

If grading the crowds / party based on number of folks and crazyness:Thursday afternoon: C

Sat afternoon : closed till 1 or 2pm for judging (can pass beers out to seating outside the booth for those watching judging. 2-6 or 7 is a mild party kinda like fri afternoon.

Friday afternoon is a great vibe though... Relax, enjoy the lunch, walk the park. Get back to the booth by 4pm or so before it gets packed.

Thursday night is a good crowd with the booth Hitting 70-90pct of capacity at peak times.

Thursday night and Friday afternoon would not leave you feeling like you missed out.
Thanks Icon. Gonna try to make it happen!!

I'm actually going to try and stay longer for more than a cup of coffee this time. First week of work overwhelmed me last year.

Probably out for Thursday, but definitely down for Friday.

:thumbup: to palmersteel & Brady Marino. Cmon down! To be fair the Menu won't be as awesome as when tipsy was running the pit, but We will do our best to make sure you guys have some good cue and beverages :banned:

It's definitely easy to get overwhelmed... I've been at it for about 10 years and still struggle with pacing myself ?

Odd.... Here it is.

Not showing up under "memphis' or BBQfest under the search engine... had to do a google search for BBQfest / Footballguys.

Is a non-functional forum search engine one of the nifty new features of the upgrade? :excited: :thumbup:

:thumbup: to palmersteel & Brady Marino. Cmon down! To be fair the Menu won't be as awesome as when tipsy was running the pit, but We will do our best to make sure you guys have some good cue and beverages :banned:

It's definitely easy to get overwhelmed... I've been at it for about 10 years and still struggle with pacing myself
As long as there is something besides the 8% IPA we should be fine!

It's definitely easy to get overwhelmed... I've been at it for about 10 years and still struggle with pacing myself
As long as there is something besides the 8% IPA we should be fine!
:lol:

Much more manageable 4.65% Daytime. :thumbup:

Drinking that IPA all day was dangerous.

ETA: :lmao: at them giving us 16 kegs of a "super limited" beer that is available in "bottles only"

Were approached by a local Fireball rep. We will be one of two teams who will be sponsored with product and a chiller/dispenser.

We will likely also do Fireball Gummy Bears.... Cinnamon Gummy Bears soaked in Fireball in small cups w/ lids that will be handed out at bar or thrown down into crowd from balcony.

Team Dinner at Chef Troy Black's loft downtown Saturday night... he's cooking a bunch of #### for everyone and their wives/girlfriends. Then team meeting Tuesday. Meeting next Thursday with the RedBull honcho over the Southeastern US (will be in town for a couple days) to discuss their involvement this year. They're wanting to be much more involved/visible.

CDW has told us they're in (partnering with Cisco) and we should know details on amount today hopefully....

Had a team dinner at Troy Black's loft downtown in Memphis on Saturday night. We engaged in some team-chatter and festival discussion, but it was mostly an excuse to get together for some good beer/wine/bourbon and some great food cooked up by Troy. Sadly about half the team was unable to make it due to travel or simply living out of town.

Some images from the evening:
Detail of Salsa - Fire Roasted tomatoes, onion, cilantro, serrano peppers.
Grilled Corn for Guacamole - All ingredients for guac were grilled prior to assembly.

Grilled Guacamole being mixed

Ample booze / wine / beer was on hand, of course.

Glazed/Smoked Pork Belly as an appetizer

Detail shot of the pork belly

Another team member brought some solid wings for an app as well

Prep work for the "Korean BBQ" Style Pork Tacos - Romaine, Cilantro, Scallion, Serrano Peppers and home made asian pickles
Random ingredients shot.
Team sponsor Lagunitas IPA always on hand

Cracking the pork butt for the tacos
Pulled pork ready for assembly
Troy talking to everyone about the ingredients/assembly
Finished product ready to eat

Smoked banana pudding with merengue topping to finish things off

Good times and a very good dinner. Those who weren't able to make it were missed, however.

Next team meeting this Tuesday. Hopefully will hear from CDW today or tomorrow so we can formally announce the sponsorship to the group and begin planning around it.

Were approached by a local Fireball rep. We will be one of two teams who will be sponsored with product and a chiller/dispenser.

We will likely also do Fireball Gummy Bears.... Cinnamon Gummy Bears soaked in Fireball in small cups w/ lids that will be handed out at bar or thrown down into crowd from balcony.

Team Dinner at Chef Troy Black's loft downtown Saturday night... he's cooking a bunch of #### for everyone and their wives/girlfriends. Then team meeting Tuesday. Meeting next Thursday with the RedBull honcho over the Southeastern US (will be in town for a couple days) to discuss their involvement this year. They're wanting to be much more involved/visible.

CDW has told us they're in (partnering with Cisco) and we should know details on amount today hopefully....
oh, this should be interesting....

Had a team dinner at Troy Black's loft downtown in Memphis on Saturday night. We engaged in some team-chatter and festival discussion, but it was mostly an excuse to get together for some good beer/wine/bourbon and some great food cooked up by Troy. Sadly about half the team was unable to make it due to travel or simply living out of town.

Some images from the evening:

Detail of Salsa - Fire Roasted tomatoes, onion, cilantro, serrano peppers.

Grilled Corn for Guacamole - All ingredients for guac were grilled prior to assembly.

Grilled Guacamole being mixed

Ample booze / wine / beer was on hand, of course.

Glazed/Smoked Pork Belly as an appetizer

Detail shot of the pork belly

Another team member brought some solid wings for an app as well

Prep work for the "Korean BBQ" Style Pork Tacos - Romaine, Cilantro, Scallion, Serrano Peppers and home made asian pickles

Random ingredients shot.

Team sponsor Lagunitas IPA always on hand

Cracking the pork butt for the tacos

Pulled pork ready for assembly

Troy talking to everyone about the ingredients/assembly

Finished product ready to eat

Smoked banana pudding with merengue topping to finish things off

Good times and a very good dinner. Those who weren't able to make it were missed, however.

Next team meeting this Tuesday. Hopefully will hear from CDW today or tomorrow so we can formally announce the sponsorship to the group and begin planning around it.
####### Drool

Users who are viewing this thread