What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 KR/PR IDP's looking at 2013 (1 Viewer)

Ninjaswinger

Footballguy
It is Never to early to start for 20132011 & 2012 was kinda a bust year with only a few IDP KR/PR guys maybe this year will be better.So i need your help here Who do you think the TOP KR/PR IDP's are?I am in a league that uses KR/PR yards and also uses IDP'sWe get to start 3 flex IDP's every week and if you can get one that returns yards you can clean up.ThanksNinjaswinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Leodis McKelvin and Josh Wilson have to be at the top of the list. Jim Leonhard stands a chance of getting some solid tackle #s along with PR duty as well.

Yeah last year Josh Wilson topped the IDP points list with 209 points

and 2nd to him was Patrick Willis with 151 points that is over 50 points diff.

So if Josh Wilson can do close to what he did last year he is GOLD

People talk a lot about Wilson, but I think that was kind of a flukey circumstance.

Because of injury you ended up with a starting corner who also hogged KR duty, and you don't get to double dip like that very often.

I'd think McKelvin's your best bet, if they leave him on KR duty --- after that it's kind of up in the air.

What's your scoring system?

Seattle will ploy a base cover-2, Trufant and Lucas will be the starting corners. However, they will toy with a 3-3 defense, Wilson could see a significant amount of snaps.

Seahawks Insider

I think Seattle would like to create the same type of situation with its 3-3 scheme, getting the ball into the hands of playmakers like Curry, who could be Seattle’s Jame Harrison. Hill, Josh Wilson and Deon Grant also are other players who can not only make the interception, but take it the other way for six points in a hurry. Curry already has shown that ability, returning seven interceptions for touchdowns at Wake Forest. And we know what Josh Wilson can do with the ball in hands.

In this scheme I see Brandon Mebane playing nose guard, with Patrick Kerney at one end position, and either Cory Redding, Lawrence Jackson or Darryl Tapp at the other end. Hill, Tatupu and Curry would man the backer positions. Wilson would come in as the extra defensive back. Deon Grant and Brian Russell would be at strong and free safety, and Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas would be your corners.

Ok, I've also been trying to sort these guys out, so I just made up this list of last year's teams sorted by # of kick returns, with some IDP notes included --- and I'll post it up since you're probably too lazy to make one.

DET 83 kr - 21 pr

STL 80 kr - 29 pr

KC 80 kr - 26 pr

OAK 78 kr - 44 pr

-- Miller 32 kr (played 7 games)

CHI 77 kr - 39 pr (Hester pulled off primary kr duty wk 12)

-- Manning 36 kr (primary kr in 7 games), Vasher 6 pr (played in 8 games)

SEA 77 kr - 35 pr (signed Lucas)

-- Wilson 69 kr (started 12 games)

SF 76 kr - 29 pr

-- Rossum 47 kr + 15 pr (played 13 games)

AZ 75 kr - 33 pr (Arrington gone -- some mention of maybe DRC returning a few)

BUF 75 kr - 30 pr

-- McKelvin 52 kr - 2 pr (started 6 games)

JAX 74 kr - 29 pr

-- Witherspoon 52 kr + 17 pr (played 14 games)

HOU 72 kr - 32 pr

DEN 71 kr - 20 pr (lol)

DAL 70 kr - 37 pr

GB 69 kr - 37 pr

-- Blackmon 55 kr + 36 pr

CIN 67 kr - 32 pr

IND 63 kr - 22 pr

-- Ratliff 16 pr

NE !! 62 kr - 36 pr

-- Hobbs 45 kr ( ====> Philly)

NO 62 kr - 26 pr

SD 62 kr - 26 pr

MIN 61 kr - 34 pr

-- Gordon 15 pr + 2 kr (played 9 games)

NYJ 61 kr - 29 pr (added Leonhard -- Washington losing some return duty?)

PHI 60 kr - 52 pr (adds Hobbs, but also Maclin)

-- Demps 52 kr

TB 60 kr - 47 pr

CAR 60 kr - 42 pr

MIA 60 kr - 28 pr

ATL 59 kr - 43 pr

CLE 58 kr - 30 pr

WAS 55 kr - 45 pr

NYG 55 kr - 39 pr

-- McQuarters 1 kr + 13 pr (played 10 games)

TEN 52 kr - 34 pr

-- Carr 35 kr + 32 pr ( ===> BAL)

BAL 50 kr - 43 pr (Leonhard out - Carr in)

-- Leonhard 8 kr - 20 pr (===> NYJ)

PIT 50 kr - 41 pr

edit: and since we're talkin' Wilson, I'll add this bit in for reference

'07 team kick returns ('07 ==> '08 differential):

SEA - 53 (+24)

CHI - 67 (+10)

BUF - 70 (+5)

JAX - 49 (+25)

GB - 62 (+7)

ps Since I put all this work in, maybe you can help me out and guess which IDP returners might get more opps in '09.

Scoring is like this

Return Yards 25 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards; 3 points at 200 yards

Return Touchdowns 6

In our IDP + special teams league the kick returners went as follows:

Ellis Hobbs

Josh Wilson (me)

McKelvin

Blackmon

Chris Carr

Justin Miller (me)

Difficult to say what will happen to several return guys, best to wait for camp updates. I can`t see much scope for Hobbs seeing much action in Philly as they have a number of young guys who will compete for roles - Demps, Maclin etc.

Blackmon and McKelvin seem the safest bets at the moment.

Difficult to say what will happen to several return guys, best to wait for camp updates. I can`t see much scope for Hobbs seeing much action in Philly as they have a number of young guys who will compete for roles - Demps, Maclin etc. Blackmon and McKelvin seem the safest bets at the moment.
Yeah, I'm especially interested in McKelvin --- has there been any noise at all coming out of Buffalo about pulling him off kr now that he's starting?Who would be their options?

There's talk of DRC in AZ being in competition with Breaston (...and maybe Rolle) for return duties.

I got the impression breaston was out.

there were some earlier comments made about drc, but at the time it didn't sound like they were very interested in that avenue.

Mckelvin is definitely the safest bet, but if somehow things ended up like last year in Seattle, Josh Wilson will be the best yet again. Seattle was a pretty terrible defensive team last year and teams exploited Wilson which is why he ended up with a lot of solo tackles as well.

Weiner Dog said:
There's talk of DRC in AZ being in competition with Breaston (...and maybe Rolle) for return duties.
link:http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/368

Coach, PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!!! Is Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie going to do any kick returning? Also, do you guys have any plays for him on offense? He's a ridiculous athlete. Thanks.

Ken Whisenhunt, Arizona Cardinals:

He already has played some offense for us, so I wouldn't rule that out. He works every week in practice at kick returning so we might use him in that avenue as well. We have considered both things.

Nothing Special with the scoring

Return Yards 25 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards; 3 points at 200 yards

Return Touchdowns 6

Defensive Players League Value

Tackle Solo 1

Tackle Assist .5

Sack 2

Interception 3

Fumble Force 2

Fumble Recovery 3

Defensive Touchdown 6

Safety 5

Pass Defended 1

Block Kick 5

Manning to open training camp as starting free safety

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Impressing the Bears with his performance at the nickel position has earned Danieal Manning an expanded role on defense.

When training camp kicks off Friday with a 3 p.m. practice in Bourbonnais, Manning will line up as the Bears’ starting free safety and then move to the nickel spot in passing situations.....

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=5951

Manning to open training camp as starting free safety

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Impressing the Bears with his performance at the nickel position has earned Danieal Manning an expanded role on defense.

When training camp kicks off Friday with a 3 p.m. practice in Bourbonnais, Manning will line up as the Bears’ starting free safety and then move to the nickel spot in passing situations.....

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=5951
From Brad Biggs via Twitter:Couple nuggets: Smith was vague when asked who would start next to Tommie. Said Hester and Manning are fully expected to be the returners.

I haven't seen any adjustment to Mannings FBG projections. Anyone come up with their own adjusted projections, including return yards?

How about Jim Leonhard's chances to take over kick returns for the jets? I would think they would be slim.......

KR Danieal Manning and PR Devin Hester give the Bears one of the best kickoff- and punt-return tandems in the NFL, but they also have full-time roles on the offense and defense, respectively. Hester, who has seven punt-return TDs in just three seasons, is the No. 1 wide receiver. Manning, who led the NFL with a 29.7-yard kickoff-return average last season, is the starting free safety. Coach Lovie Smith doesn't believe either player is overburdened. "I think a player can be a full-time player and do one of the returns," Smith said. "Whether Danieal is the nickel (back) or the free safety, he's on the field (for) all of the reps on the defensive side, and then he's returning (kickoffs). Hester will do the same thing. I think he can do that and do it well. "Both players feel comfortable doing that. Both players want to do that. And in order for us to win, we need them to do that." Hester is three short of Eric Metcalf's NFL record of 10 punt-return touchdowns.

(Yahoo! Sports)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle...ight_Night.html

Along with being asked about Jeremy Maclin's absence, special teams coordinator Ted Daisher was asked about the punt and kick return rotation:

“We’re going to start with the guys that played last year, the guys we’re going to stay with and start with," he said. "Quintin Demps is going to be the kickoff returner right now. Ellis Hobbs has done a great job and has good skills. He’s going to be back there. Jeremy, when he gets into camp, will also be a part of that group. At punt return, we really like DeSean [Jackson]. He’s done a nice job. [He’s] very explosive with the ball. He’s the guy right now, with Jeremy Maclin working his way in as he gets back.”

Asked about any concern about Jackson being on the field too much as his role in the offense increases, Dashier made it clear who is the boss.

“That’s real easy. When Andy says he’s out there, he’s out there. When Andy says he’s not, he’s not. That’s just the way it is.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle...ight_Night.html

Along with being asked about Jeremy Maclin's absence, special teams coordinator Ted Daisher was asked about the punt and kick return rotation:

“We’re going to start with the guys that played last year, the guys we’re going to stay with and start with," he said. "Quintin Demps is going to be the kickoff returner right now. Ellis Hobbs has done a great job and has good skills. He’s going to be back there. Jeremy, when he gets into camp, will also be a part of that group. At punt return, we really like DeSean [Jackson]. He’s done a nice job. [He’s] very explosive with the ball. He’s the guy right now, with Jeremy Maclin working his way in as he gets back.”

Asked about any concern about Jackson being on the field too much as his role in the offense increases, Dashier made it clear who is the boss.

“That’s real easy. When Andy says he’s out there, he’s out there. When Andy says he’s not, he’s not. That’s just the way it is.”
Not good news for Hobbs at all.

The other guy I like as a DB/KR is Danieal Manning.

We've been discussing his situation on the everydown linebacker thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=465770

Right now he's starting FS and KR.

So I think the short list of valuable DB/KRs should include:

Leodis McKelvin

Josh Wilson

Quintin Demps

Danieal Manning

Now I also have an eye on Jim Leonhard. Do any of you have a read on his situation? Sometimes he's mentioned as a kick returner, other times as just a punt returner. Either way he's a person of interest for this thread but those 4 above are the 4 I really like as things stand right now.

Not good news for Hobbs at all.
Hobbs may take a small hit in production, but he's not a starting CB according to the FBG depth chart, so his fantasy value is limited anyways. I look at this as good news for Demps as a DB/KR.
It is limited now that he won't be KR, I agree. But he was DB3 in my league last year and DB2 the year before between his return yards and tackles, etc. He was a stud for years running. Looks like that run is over.

We've been discussing his situation on the everydown linebacker thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=465770

Leodis McKelvin

Josh Wilson

Quintin Demps

Danieal Manning

Now I also have an eye on Jim Leonhard. Do any of you have a read on his situation? Sometimes he's mentioned as a kick returner, other times as just a punt returner. Either way he's a person of interest for this thread but those 4 above are the 4 I really like as things stand right now.
So far, I have just seen mentions of him returning punts --- have you got any links on the kick return talk?Also, I think you're really overrating Wilson by putting him in there with those other 3.

Leodis McKelvin

Josh Wilson

Quintin Demps

Danieal Manning

So far, I have just seen mentions of him returning punts --- have you got any links on the kick return talk?Also, I think you're really overrating Wilson by putting him in there with those other 3.
Perhaps you're right about Wilson, there's a lot of talk on this thread about his inflated numbers last year.

It's hard to get a firm read on who's doing what in terms of return duties. Probably especially this early. There are articles out there stating Manning is a KR. See my quote from Lovie Smith above, from Yahoo sports.

Here's what I have: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiUy...ype=team_report

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=311015&src=148

This is a good one: http://www.rrstar.com/sports/x767438037/Be...ree-way-starter

Obviously this is something to keep an eye on, but he's a 3 way starter for now.

Leodis McKelvin

Josh Wilson

Quintin Demps

Danieal Manning

So far, I have just seen mentions of him returning punts --- have you got any links on the kick return talk?
haha...no, Leonhard.

Oh, sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty uncertain about Leonhard. I think you're probably right about him only returning punts. I'll dig a little deeper today though.

Cardinals:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09campupdate1.pdf

The long list of players who could emerge as the kickoff returner includes newly acquired RB Jason Wright, WR Sean Morey, first round draft choice RB Chris Wells, WR Early Doucet, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie,

This is another one to keep an eye on. If Dom gets KR duties, he could be very productive in a league that allows return yards for defenders.

Cardinals:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09campupdate1.pdf

The long list of players who could emerge as the kickoff returner includes newly acquired RB Jason Wright, WR Sean Morey, first round draft choice RB Chris Wells, WR Early Doucet, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie,

This is another one to keep an eye on. If Dom gets KR duties, he could be very productive in a league that allows return yards for defenders.
So is Breaston concentrating on Receiving duties as the article states or will they give him a chance to return Kickoffs again?

I didn't read that link, but from a couple earlier things I read it seems like Breaston was on the outs as a returner, and they were still trying to figure replacements for him and Arrington.

You'd certainly want to know if DRC returns kicks, but it didn't sound very likely from those earlier bits I read -- of course, that could all change.

Mon, Aug 3

Head coach Ken Whisenhunt indicated on Monday that Breaston will serve as Arizona's primary kickoff and punt returner this season, the Cardinals' official site reports.

haha....just stole that post from mike herman's kr thread in shark pool.

I better start doing my homework.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Mon, Aug 3

Head coach Ken Whisenhunt indicated on Monday that Breaston will serve as Arizona's primary kickoff and punt returner this season, the Cardinals' official site reports.

haha....just stole that post from mike herman's kr thread in shark pool.

I better start doing my homework.
Yeah it looks like coach Whisenhunt took the wind out of my sails. That Camp Update was created before he made those statements. There's an outside chance Breaston doesn't end up as the primary KR but that's looking less likely now.

i wouldn't be surprised to see Mckelvin pulled off of KR duties............i mean just in training camp he gets hurt like every 10minutes.
Probably, but I'd still think he's the safest bet.
Was watching the pre-season game last night and i didn't see mckelvin return a single KO...some guy named Hall was returning in his stead...was this due to it being the 1st pre-season game?...or might this signal a change?

i wouldn't be surprised to see Mckelvin pulled off of KR duties............i mean just in training camp he gets hurt like every 10minutes.
Probably, but I'd still think he's the safest bet.
Was watching the pre-season game last night and i didn't see mckelvin return a single KO...some guy named Hall was returning in his stead...was this due to it being the 1st pre-season game?...or might this signal a change?
yea I saw that too. All i have to say is, Danieal Manning it is! :unsure:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear15.article

....free safety Danieal Manning (hamstring) and cornerback Charles Tillman (back) are sidelined. At this point, it's looking like Manning, who spent the entire offseason working at nickel back, will have a difficult time securing the free-safety job he was moved to a week before camp. He's expected to be shut down awhile with the recurring hamstring injury.

Smith downplayed it Thursday, but the Bears need Manning at nickel and on kickoff returns and must have him 100 percent. He can't settle in at free safety if he's not practicing.

Chances are high for another flip-flop in the secondary, with Kevin Payne moving to free safety and rookie sixth-round pick Al Afalava getting a shot at strong safety.....

free safety Danieal Manning (hamstring) and cornerback Charles Tillman (back) are sidelined. At this point, it's looking like Manning, who spent the entire offseason working at nickel back, will have a difficult time securing the free-safety job he was moved to a week before camp. He's expected to be shut down awhile with the recurring hamstring injury.

Smith downplayed it Thursday, but the Bears need Manning at nickel and on kickoff returns and must have him 100 percent. He can't settle in at free safety if he's not practicing.

free safety Danieal Manning (hamstring) and cornerback Charles Tillman (back) are sidelined. At this point, it's looking like Manning, who spent the entire offseason working at nickel back, will have a difficult time securing the free-safety job he was moved to a week before camp. He's expected to be shut down awhile with the recurring hamstring injury.

That's so dissapointing. He was a potential stud in return leagues that require separate CB/S.

Interesting news regarding Josh Wilson from the FBG news feed:

"Danny O'Neil, of the Seattle Times, reports that Seahawks CB Marcus Trufant is out indefinitely with a disc issue in his back."

If Trufant is out for an extended period of time (and back injuries tend to linger), Wilson could approach last year's numbers being the starting CB.

Interesting news regarding Josh Wilson from the FBG news feed:"Danny O'Neil, of the Seattle Times, reports that Seahawks CB Marcus Trufant is out indefinitely with a disc issue in his back."If Trufant is out for an extended period of time (and back injuries tend to linger), Wilson could approach last year's numbers being the starting CB.
Good catch.

It's looking like McKelvin is the safest pick among starting DB/kickoff returners due to Manning's and Wilson's questionable defensive status/playing time? Is that the consensus?

Is Ellis Hobbs going to return kicks in Philly? Is he even starting on D? FPG Depth chart lists Brown as the starter at CB.

More good news for Wilson...per rotoworld

Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Seahawks LCB Marcus Trufant could start the regular season on the PUP list.

If Trufant can't pass a physical on Sept. 5, the date rosters are cut to 53, the Seahawks could keep him on PUP. This would cost Trufant the first six weeks of the season. In terms of coverage skill, the Seahawks don't have anyone close to Trufant's level down the depth chart. Keep this in mind for fantasy matchup purposes. Seattle won't be able to stop the pass.

Source: Tacoma News Tribune

Users who are viewing this thread