What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

After the QB identifies the MIC?.. (1 Viewer)

Mikey16x

Footballguy
I always see the QB identifying a certain defensive player as the MIC. I know what it means.. that's not the issue, but why is it so crucial? It seems the first thing any QB does is identify that player, so it has to be extremely important. What I don't understand is the huge advantage after the fact... it's not like the defensive player is wearing an invisible cloak, I'm pretty sure the offensive line would attempt to block him regardless. Is it because the MIC position is often the one blitzing? I know the MIC makes the defensive calls and is the source of communication from the sidelines... but when both teams are at the line, the offensive play is already called as well as the defensive play.. can't understand why it's so crucial.

I always see the QB identifying a certain defensive player as the MIC. I know what it means.. that's not the issue, but why is it so crucial? It seems the first thing any QB does is identify that player, so it has to be extremely important. What I don't understand is the huge advantage after the fact... it's not like the defensive player is wearing an invisible cloak, I'm pretty sure the offensive line would attempt to block him regardless. Is it because the MIC position is often the one blitzing? I know the MIC makes the defensive calls and is the source of communication from the sidelines... but when both teams are at the line, the offensive play is already called as well as the defensive play.. can't understand why it's so crucial.
Took me a minute to figure out what you meant - it's Mike. Anyway, the Mike backer is generally the stud of the front 7, and will be lining up as the player closest to the ball, except for the DT's who more often then not are there to eat up blockers, not to make tackles. As such, he must be accounted for. It's not a matter of changing the play as it's a matter of blocking.

Identifying the MIKE is a key for blocking schemes. Keying off of a MIKE sets who gets who as far as blocking assignments.Since many teams don't use a NG these days, either a C or a pulling G will get the MIKE and the line's blocking calls are predicated on whomever is the MIKE in a 4-3 alignment.

:X

And just to continue with the explanation, Mike, Will, and Sam are often used as shortened names for the middle linebacker, weak-side linebacker, and strong-side linebacker in a 4-3.

Not sure what was so hilarious about his question? It was a legitimate question from someone who is trying to understand more about football. And im sure a question that others have thought about as well.Its responses like this that keep those people from asking these questions.If it was so hilarious to you and elementary why didn't you give him an indepth answer like others.Congrats on looking like a supreme tool oh genius one.

Not sure what was so hilarious about his question? It was a legitimate question from someone who is trying to understand more about football. And im sure a question that others have thought about as well.Its responses like this that keep those people from asking these questions.If it was so hilarious to you and elementary why didn't you give him an indepth answer like others.Congrats on looking like a supreme tool oh genius one.
:fishing:

I believe there is an absolutely fantastic article about defense by a staff member here, but I have no clue how to find it again on the site.

I believe the humour is that the OP stated as if he knew the first thing, but they are identifying the MIKE, not the player with the MIC in the helmet. The MIKE is usually the defensive player with the headset in their helmet, but not always.
I always see the QB identifying a certain defensive player as the MIC. I know what it means.. that's not the issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the guy the OP is referring to called the...Middle Inside Linebacker Frontman (MILF)?

I believe the humour is that the OP stated as if he knew the first thing, but they are identifying the MIKE, not the player with the MIC in the helmet. The MIKE is usually the defensive player with the headset in their helmet, but not always.
I always see the QB identifying a certain defensive player as the MIC. I know what it means.. that's not the issue
So whynot set the OP straight and give him the correct information rather than laughing at him? It doesnt excuse Rovers' being a #####

Jeff Pasquino said:
GloryDaze said:
I believe there is an absolutely fantastic article about defense by a staff member here, but I have no clue how to find it again on the site.
I think you mean this one:IDP Guide

You can find preseason stuff or articles from the home page - just click "Articles".
I just finished reading this article. Absolutely awesome and a must read. I will admit that I am one of those offensive minded football fans (primarily because of fantasy football), but this was an extraordinary read.

:thumbdown:

why give the same answer a third time? but thanks, you're almost as funny as the original post. good info in here.

why give the same answer a third time? but thanks, you're almost as funny as the original post. good info in here.
Nah dude, you seriously came off looking like a total knob, sorry. No real way to spin this otherwise. The point was already made but it's people like you who prevent people like the OP from asking questions to help them understand things they are curious about, in this case football.Granted we're gathered here primarily because of FANTASY football, last I checked this was supposedly a football board. Well at least it is when people actually take the time to provide useful information instead of making others feel like idiots.Whoops...I may have just done that myself but I doubt it. I'm sure you'll provide us all with more wit and wisdom, especially with your super spectacular low number that proves what, you found this board before the poor guy that asked a simple question? Eh, I'm done here. :bag:

Nah dude, you seriously came off looking like a total knob, sorry. No real way to spin this otherwise. The point was already made but it's people like you who prevent people like the OP from asking questions to help them understand things they are curious about, in this case football.Granted we're gathered here primarily because of FANTASY football, last I checked this was supposedly a football board. Well at least it is when people actually take the time to provide useful information instead of making others feel like idiots.Whoops...I may have just done that myself but I doubt it. I'm sure you'll provide us all with more wit and wisdom, especially with your super spectacular low number that proves what, you found this board before the poor guy that asked a simple question? Eh, I'm done here. :goodposting:
It was a good question and I am glad he asked it. rovers low number just shows that even back in the day there were people we would rather not post.

Thanks guys.. appreciate it. I was aware of the Sam and Will nicknames at the strong/weakside. Saw a couple of useful links, great stuff. By the way, no need to defend me... I'm pretty sure the guy has absolutely no life, no stimulation, no friends and is used to being

(this guy)

Users who are viewing this thread