Let’s try this again.
10.01 - American Idol - Reality
Not going to do my full write up again, but here are some highlights for this ratings behemoth and cultural phenomenon:
- For 8 consecutive years, it had the highest rated show in US tv ratings
- Despite airing 3 times a week, it’s 5th season averaged over 30 million viewers
- Rival networks were forced to rearrange their lineups to avoid Idol
- There were more votes for some Idol contests that in most presidential elections
- Nominated for 9 outstanding reality program emmys and won 6 people’s choice awards for favorite reality show
- Gave us 345 Billboard chart toppers
- Gave almost as much game/infamy to the worst performers as to the contenders
- Brought us Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, Daughtry, Congressman Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdar, Adam Lambert, Jordin Sparks, Ryan Seacrest, Simon Cowell, the guy with crazy hair powered by an army of voter-bots, and the Little Sweet guy from the Diet Dr Pepper commercials.