What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible Footballguys Contest (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
Everyone, I need to know if a contest like this would interest anyone.

Part Survivor, Part NCAA Bracket, All Fantasy Football.

- 12 team leagues – fill as many leagues as possible

- 2 chances to win – Regular and Consolation Brackets

- $50 entry fee, 94% return at 50 leagues. (Return is greater at less than 50 leagues, less at more leagues)

- Each league would draft on August 16th or 17th online using MFL software.

- There would be no trades, no free agent moves and no trading of draft picks.

- Each team would pick 22 players via a serpentine draft and that would be the team you had for the entire season

- Fantasy points would be based on best starter

- 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK and 1 Def would start each week.

- There would be no position limits allowing drafters to sculp their team as they see fit.

Scoring would be as follows:

- All TDs would be 6 points

- Rushing and Receiving yardage = 1 point per 10 yards

- Passing yardage = 1 point per 20 yards

- Interceptions = -2 points

- RB and WR receptions = 1 point

- TE receptions = 2 points

- 2 point conversions = 2 points (pass, run, catch)

- FG = 3 points

- EP = 1 point

Defensive scoring not determined yet

Regular Bracket - X Leagues of 12 Teams each

- Every team starts here in a league

- Each week low team per league drops off

- After 6 games, 6 per league are left – They all advance into the Championship Round.

Regular Bracket - Championship Rounds

Week 7 list trimmed to 512 teams (Highest scoring teams advance)

Week 8 list trimmed to 256 teams

Week 9 list trimmed to 128 teams

Week 10 list trimmed to 64 teams

Week 11 list trimmed to 32 teams - Seeded by high scores in week 10 for NCAA bracket finals

Week 12 list trimmed to 16 teams

Week 13 list trimmed to 8 teams

Week 14 list trimmed to 4 teams

Week 15 list trimmed to 2 teams

Week 16 determines overall winner

Consolation Bracket

Pool of all teams that did not make the Championship Bracket (6 x # of leagues) re-entered into 2nd chance Consolation Bracket

Week 7 list trimmed to 512 teams (Highest scoring teams advance)

Week 8 list trimmed to 256 teams

Week 9 list trimmed to 128 teams

Week 10 list trimmed to 64 teams

Week 11 list trimmed to 32 teams - Seeded by high scores in week 10 for NCAA bracket finals

Week 12 list trimmed to 16 teams

Week 13 list trimmed to 8 teams

Week 14 list trimmed to 4 teams

Week 15 list trimmed to 2 teams

Week 16 determines consolation winner

Prizes:

Championship Bracket

1st place = $300 x # of leagues + Trophy

2nd place = $50 x # of leagues + Trophy

3rd place = $25 x # of leagues + Trophy

4th place = $12 x # of leagues + Trophy

5th-8th places = $5 x # of leagues

9th-16th places = $3 x # of leagues

17th-32nd places = FBG Lifetime membership ($100 value)

33rd -128th place = FBG shirt or hat ($20 value)

Consolation Bracket

1st place = $25 x # of leagues

2nd place = $10 x # of leagues

3rd place = $4 x # of leagues

4th place = $2 x # of leagues

5th-8th places = $1 x # of leagues

9th-32nd places = FBG shirt or hat ($20 value)

Bragging Rights (Week 17) - Championship Bracket Winner vs Consolation Bracket Winner = Trophy

---------------------------------

Basically this would try and be a poor man's WCOFF league. If there was huge interest and we filled 200 leagues, the top prize would be $60,000. Not bad for a $50 entry fee. But I need to know if there would be any interest in this at all. Personally I love the concept and have always wanted a fair contest like this that gives back a high percentage of the money, but would like to hear from others that enter contests, leagues, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.Especially if you could choose the league you join.For instance, it would be especially fun to play against some of the NBA fans I've been arguing with for several months now; sandbagger, tommygunz, tentimes, saveferris, etc.In fact, considering the % payout and the reputation of the people behind this site I wouldn't mind paying $100(so the prizes would be even bigger), but I would play regardless the entry fee.

We could not let people choose their exact league as it could then be possible for collusion. You would pick a draft time though (one of 16 choices over 2 days) so one could increase their chance of being in the same league as someone else. But the players in a time slot would be mixed up into random leagues.

Ah, I suppose that does make sense. I would still be very interested. Thanks for the timely response, bye the way.

We'd have to fill 200 leagues (2,400 people), but yes that's the premise - $50 at a shot at a lot of money. And the thing that makes this beautiful is the pot keeps raising with more leagues.at 300 leagues, top prize would be $90,000at 400 league, top prize would be $120,000that's a lot of cash to shoot for with $50. And we are paying pretty deep too so if you have drafted well the other money is solid too.Plus the cool part of this (I think) is how this turns into a 64 team bracket at the end where head to head determines the winner. Imagine the intensity on those last matches. It's not how good am I doing, but how well is he doing too. and since the disparity is great in those first four spots, the final four would be really awsome.At 200 leagues, The final match would be Winner gets $60,000 vs the loser gets $10,000. I think if you were in the final game, it would be next to impossible to even watch the TV praying on 100 yards and a TD from Jimmy Smith to win an extra $50,000...

We think this works best as a Survivor league too because you can study intensely, draft and then just enjoy the ride. and yes I would imagine the message board will be having a lot of fun when the pairings come out and Zippy and Chemical Smoo are battling it out in the East Regional. The pairings will be based on Week 10 too so there will be number 1 seeds and everything. I really do think the drama of the final 64 in a contest like this would be very fun to see unfold.

No question I'd be in. :)couple of thoughts:*pray your in a draft/league where Harrison slides to 15 ;) ...but seriously, somebody who gets in an initial league with 11 lesser experienced players has a tremendous advantage.*This forces me to use the dominator so I know where everybody else is valuing players*In this format I'm not sure if I want guys with early bye weeks or late bye weeks. The competition will obviously be stiffer in the later weeks...even more so than in a regular survivor.

I would expect that you're going to have to set up a separate msg board forum for this so it doesn't affect the Shark pool.Also, David: You might want to specify whether someone can enter more than once

I was thinking about getting back into a money league, this contest sounds like a good one to join!

Sounds great, but I'm on vacation that weekend until Sunday night so unless there was a real late draft start (maybe 11pm EST), I'd have to pass. :(

Sounds like an awesome idea, and for those of us in multiple leagues already, this has the benefit of just having to draft and then standing back and watching your team go. I'd be very interested.

I guess a player's bye week becomes extremely important with this set up.When you go to the championship bracket or consolation bracket. Are you paired against someone or not? or is it just the top 50% of points scorers move forward and if so how would ties be handled? I'm just assuming this scenario, how will ties be figured out?I like the concept though and probably would play.

Love the concept!Love the scoring!Love the fact that we'd go 22 deep by 12..very interesting draft.Count me in, although if you want to save some time, you can have evey sixth team just send their entry fee directly to me and save you the trouble. :(

Great Idea! :( I'm getting a chuckle at the mental image of 3000 FBGs sitting at home with the draft window open, the dominator open, and curses flowing throughout America as everyone's favorite sleepers keep getting taken "one spot before I picked! How did they know?"One thing that may happen is that these boards become more of a forum for disinformation, people posting opinions they don't believe to 'throw off' anyone in their league who may be reading. This would really diminish the quality of information and discourse on these boards. Another thing that could happen, especially with so many of us utilizing VBD and the Dominator: when the round of 64 begins, teams could end up starting the same lineups against each other. Sure, the odds are against it, but in a survivor-type league, it is more likely to happen. Just a thought.Other than that though, I'm in! :)

This is OBSCENELY unfair!!!! I'm reading this thread LOVING the idea but then realizing that I am 100% unable to participate.Livid :( But a great idea nonetheless, best of luck to any and allCheers

We think this works best as a Survivor league too because you can study intensely, draft and then just enjoy the ride. and yes I would imagine the message board will be having a lot of fun when the pairings come out and Zippy and Chemical Smoo are battling it out in the East Regional. The pairings will be based on Week 10 too so there will be number 1 seeds and everything. I really do think the drama of the final 64 in a contest like this would be very fun to see unfold.
hey, how come i got seeded in the east?i am definitely in.

I'm totally in, but that exact weekend probably doesn't work for me, either. Any chance of stretching the draft over a Fri-Mon period and letting people specify which day they need to draft?

Two questions:Any possibility of lowering the entrance fee? $50 is a little steep for me.Can you explain more about how the "NCAA bracket" comes into play? I don't understand this piece of the puzzle. Thanks.

Me likes very very much! I am a 'newbie' to this site and for the last few weeks have enjoyed every minute. By FAR, this is the best Fantasy Site for football and glad I stumbled upon it. Though I am a newbie to this site and have yet to subsribe (I will) I am not new by anymeans to fantasy football (and baseball, and basketball...).That said, I would DEFINITELY want to get in on this contest. Count me in.

I don't think I have anything specific planned over those days, but I'll have to block out the time somehow.Is there a way to try out the MFL draft software for those of us who have never used it??? I've not done an online live draft before.

This is seriously flawed as everyone knows Chem.Smoo has no chance of winning more than one game in any respectable league.

Users who are viewing this thread