What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ONNTTEERRRIIIOOOOOOO! (1 Viewer)

switz

Footballguy
139 yards of offense, 1 TD, 5.1 YPC, and the Vikes killed the #1 rush defense team from last season. Yeeehaaaaa

Somewhere Michael Bennett threw up his dinner when he saw Onterrio Smith's stat line. Be worried Michael Bennett, Onterrio is talented enough to take your job given the smallest of chances.

Let's see, Onterrio is going to be serving a 4 game suspension while Bennett comes back and put up the similar numbers and now he's the SOD? Unless Bennett gets a season-ending injury at most they will be splitting time.

what's the word on his potential suspension??
According to CBS, his hearing could get pushed back until October. A conspiracy buff would wonder why his hearing is being pushed back and why his suspension will likely occur when Bennett returns as opposed to the start of the season as it was first expected to happen. :D

Speak louder Switz. We can't hear you because of how deep a hole you have dug for yourself. YELL LOOUUUDDDERRRRRRR!

At this point, I don't think O. Smith even gets suspended. Something must really be wrong behind the scenes that is preventing the NFL from suspending O. Smith.

Let's see, Onterrio is going to be serving a 4 game suspension while Bennett comes back and put up the similar numbers and now he's the SOD? Unless Bennett gets a season-ending injury at most they will be splitting time.
That's the worst-case scenario, but there's nothing to indicate Bennett will lose any carries when he returns. The Vikings' plan all along was to give Bennett the majority of the carries. They planned this knowing full well how talented Smith was, so even if Onterrio rips off a bunch of big games, it's wishful thinking by the pro-Smith crowd (and for the record, I'm a Smith owner too and I don't have Bennett) to think Tice will go back on his original plan. And, of course, Smith was rather impressive last season when he filled in, but the second Bennett returned he got his starting job back. There's nothing to indicate that won't happen again this season.

He showed great patience and vision today and used his blockers well.....something Bennett NEVER does. If I were SOD I'd send a tape of the TD reception to Bennett, so that he can get an idea of where the endzone is located. :thumbup:

At this point, I don't think O. Smith even gets suspended. Something must really be wrong behind the scenes that is preventing the NFL from suspending O. Smith.
He has a point.Either a) The NFL is waiting for Minn to give them the go ahead that Bennett is okay, then they will hand out the suspension. or b) They really don't have a case against Smith and don't want to admit it.I'm starting to think it's more b) than a) and as a Bennett/Moe Owner I'm concerned.

what says Bennett will put up similar numbers, or that O will ever be suspended?and as for digging a hole, I started O this week, and he helped me to a win... :D

Practice SAT question....George Jefferson is to William Green as Switz is to _________________
except I won't pimp a guy who goes 22 for 65 and sucks to everyone who sees it.

What did Onterrio do today that Bennett can't?Run for 5 YPC? Bennett can do that too.Catch a pass while wide open and sprint thru nothing but open field? Lots of backs can do that, Bennett among them.

What did Onterrio do today that Bennett can't?Run for 5 YPC? Bennett can do that too.Catch a pass while wide open and sprint thru nothing but open field? Lots of backs can do that, Bennett among them.
You obviously didn't see the game.Onterrio showed skills Bennett never has, plus this was against a top ranked rush D, Bennett did NOT excel against top Ds last season

You obviously didn't see the game.Onterrio showed skills Bennett never has, plus this was against a top ranked rush D, Bennett did NOT excel against top Ds last season
Seriously swits, this is out of hand. :no:

Agreed. Outside of the big TD, Smith didn't have a spectacular day by any means. He ran well and was productive, but it's not like we were watching Priest Holmes or even Quentin Griffin. Everything Smith did today were things Bennett could easily have done. One thing I did notice today. The Vikings worked in camp with a formation that utilizes Bennett as a receiver split out wide. Unless I am mistaken, I didn't see them do that with Smith (or Williams) today. It seems clear the Vikings are coming up with as many ways as possible to get Bennett's hands on the ball this season.Assuming he can stay healthy, of course.

maybe, but boy is it fun :D

switz's credibility card on the Smith/Bennett issue left the building a long time ago.

Bennett did NOT excel against top Ds last season
This is true. Probably because Bennett didn't play against top run Ds last season. The best was Green Bay (#10). That was Bennett's first game back, and he ran 8 times for 43 yards (over 5 YPC).In 2002, Bennett ran for 114 yards on 10 carries against Tampa Bay, the #1 overall defense and #5 against the run.

And some people were dropping SOD this week to pick up Tatum Bell. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I was dropping Bell to pick up Onterrio!BOOYA! :thumbup: I also have QGrif/Corey Dillon/Chris Brown :thumbup:And its a 14 team leaguer :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Bwhahah... Everyone offered me trades for Quentin tonigh... I'm going to bait Onterrio though...

Culpepper had an interesting quote tonight stating that he hoped SOD wouldn't miss ANY games at all. Why would he say that unless there is actually some sliver of hope out there that the public is not aware of? Hmmm. . . ."Hoping for SmithThe Vikings hope running back Onterrio Smith will be with the team for two more games -- and that the NFL will not rule on his anticipated drug suspension until the October bye week.Quarterback Daunte Culpepper's aspirations for Smith's availability go heyond that.'Onterrio is a great player, and I love playing with him,' Culpepper said. 'Hopefully, everything works out and he'll be with us every game.'Smith went 63 yards with the first of Culpepper's five touchdown passes Sunday. He also was the game's leading rusher with 76 yards on 15 carries."Link

what's the word on his potential suspension??
According to CBS, his hearing could get pushed back until October. A conspiracy buff would wonder why his hearing is being pushed back and why his suspension will likely occur when Bennett returns as opposed to the start of the season as it was first expected to happen. :D
Well, the NFL doesn't want one of the league's favorite teams to miss the playoffs (AGAIN) does it?

Culpepper had an interesting quote tonight stating that he hoped SOD wouldn't miss ANY games at all. Why would he say that unless there is actually some sliver of hope out there that the public is not aware of? Hmmm. . . ."Hoping for SmithThe Vikings hope running back Onterrio Smith will be with the team for two more games -- and that the NFL will not rule on his anticipated drug suspension until the October bye week.Quarterback Daunte Culpepper's aspirations for Smith's availability go heyond that.'Onterrio is a great player, and I love playing with him,' Culpepper said. 'Hopefully, everything works out and he'll be with us every game.'Smith went 63 yards with the first of Culpepper's five touchdown passes Sunday. He also was the game's leading rusher with 76 yards on 15 carries."Link
Everyone on the team realizes how great of a RB the kid is... he is a player. He can catch/run/move, is fast, strong, and can dominate games. He's a playmaker. And Tice drafted him. :yes: Poor people who drafted Bennet though... no way he goes to Arizona, even Emmitt Smith is looking solid :no:

Why would he say that unless there is actually some sliver of hope out there that the public is not aware of? Hmmm. . . .
Maybe because he is a teammate and why would not want ALL of your guys available? I'm sure he would say the same about the backup long snapper too.

Either a) The NFL is waiting for Minn to give them the go ahead that Bennett is okay, then they will hand out the suspension. or b) They really don't have a case against Smith and don't want to admit it.I'm starting to think it's more b) than a) and as a Bennett/Moe Owner I'm concerned.
This might take the cake as the stupidest post of all-time. If you really believe the NFL cares about the Vikings' situation, you are sadly mistaken. I think it is a little bit of B but more to the point, I think the NFL is making sure it has everything in order to hit the guy with the suspension. I don't think it's a matter of IF he gets suspended. Just a matter of WHEN.

switz's credibility card on the Smith/Bennett issue left the building a long time ago.
No, it didn't. Yours did.

What did Onterrio do today that Bennett can't?

Run for 5 YPC? Bennett can do that too.

Catch a pass while wide open and sprint thru nothing but open field? Lots of backs can do that, Bennett among them.
Stop trolling. Weren't you going to ignore me from now on? Why don't you show some stones and be a man of your word? Should be easy to do. I'm not so sure how my credibility is gone on this issue since at no point have I ever said Smith wasn't a talented RB. Like switz, I have a strong belief about which of these two RBs is superior at this point in time. Unlike switz, I don't blind myself to the talent of the RB who I think is No. 2 on the list. I've always praised Smith's talent and have always been extremely open-minded about his potential. But the main thing I have done here is pay very close attention to the facts and to past evidence which have spelled out the conclusion in this scenario without any confusion whatsoever.

And the conclusion has always been that Michael Bennett is the Minnesota Vikings starting RB and the guy Mike Tice prefers to have on the field.

Think this is just me gushing over a former Badger. Only an idiot would come up with something that lame since it has no connection to reality. As I told switz in another thread, I drafted Smith late and passed on Bennett (in favor of Curtis Martin, a move I'm quite happy with at the moment :D ) in the fourth round of my draft last week. If I was so filled with Bennett love as you idiotically protest, surely I would have taken him no matter what. But I didn't. So you see, I don't make decisions based on "crushes" or other asinine beliefs. I look at the facts and then formulate an opinion to the best of my ability.

So again, stop trolling if you want your arguments to carry any weight.

The facts are clear here:

1. Bennett and Smith are both talented RBs. Whether you or switz or any of the other Onterrio lovers want to believe this irrelevent. Obviously Mike Tice does and his opinion is the only one that matters at this present time.

2. Bennett is clearly the starting RB. The only people who have even questioned this are the strident-Onterrio fans. Everyone else can see this situation for what it is. As Hineazer said when switz wondered what Bennett will have to do to keep his job ... he just has to be active. Case closed.

As a Smith owner, I would love to see Onterrio get the starting job. As I've said many times the starting RB in this offense has huge fantasy potential. So if that was Smith, I'd take that and be thrilled, especially given where I drafted him (14:1). But while I may be a Smith owner and while I may be hoping for the best for one of my players, that doesn't mean I'm going to blind myself to the clear realities of this situation. And the reality here is Michael Bennett is the team's starting RB. As long as he's healthy (and obviously that's the main question with Bennett) the job will be his. What the strident Smith fans continue to ignore is Bennett has done nothing from a performance standpoint to lose his job. He's been hurt, but when he's been on the field he's clearly been productive. When you look at what he did last season on a badly injured foot, it speaks volumes. Or at least it should if you were paying any attention at all.

Catch a pass while wide open and sprint thru nothing but open field? Lots of backs can do that, Bennett among them.
Stop trolling. Weren't you going to ignore me from now on? Why don't you show some stones and be a man of your word? Should be easy to do. I'm not so sure how my credibility is gone on this issue since at no point have I ever said Smith wasn't a talented RB. Like switz, I have a strong belief about which of these two RBs is superior at this point in time. Unlike switz, I don't blind myself to the talent of the RB who I think is No. 2 on the list. I've always praised Smith's talent and have always been extremely open-minded about his potential. But the main thing I have done here is pay very close attention to the facts and to past evidence which have spelled out the conclusion in this scenario without any confusion whatsoever.

And the conclusion has always been that Michael Bennett is the Minnesota Vikings starting RB and the guy Mike Tice prefers to have on the field.

Think this is just me gushing over a former Badger. Only an idiot would come up with something that lame since it has no connection to reality. As I told switz in another thread, I drafted Smith late and passed on Bennett (in favor of Curtis Martin, a move I'm quite happy with at the moment :D ) in the fourth round of my draft last week. If I was so filled with Bennett love as you idiotically protest, surely I would have taken him no matter what. But I didn't. So you see, I don't make decisions based on "crushes" or other asinine beliefs. I look at the facts and then formulate an opinion to the best of my ability.

1. Bennett and Smith are both talented RBs. Whether you or switz or any of the other Onterrio lovers want to believe this irrelevent. Obviously Mike Tice does and his opinion is the only one that matters at this present time.

2. Bennett is clearly the starting RB. The only people who have even questioned this are the strident-Onterrio fans. Everyone else can see this situation for what it is. As Hineazer said when switz wondered what Bennett will have to do to keep his job ... he just has to be active. Case closed.

As a Smith owner, I would love to see Onterrio get the starting job. As I've said many times the starting RB in this offense has huge fantasy potential. So if that was Smith, I'd take that and be thrilled, especially given where I drafted him (14:1). But while I may be a Smith owner and while I may be hoping for the best for one of my players, that doesn't mean I'm going to blind myself to the clear realities of this situation. And the reality here is Michael Bennett is the team's starting RB. As long as he's healthy (and obviously that's the main question with Bennett) the job will be his. What the strident Smith fans continue to ignore is Bennett has done nothing from a performance standpoint to lose his job. He's been hurt, but when he's been on the field he's clearly been productive. When you look at what he did last season on a badly injured foot, it speaks volumes. Or at least it should if you were paying any attention at all.
:hophead:

As long as he's healthy (and obviously that's the main question with Bennett) the job will be his. What the strident Smith fans continue to ignore is Bennett has done nothing from a performance standpoint to lose his job. He's been hurt, but when he's been on the field he's clearly been productive. When you look at what he did last season on a badly injured foot, it speaks volumes.
Early in the season I was turning around to share the opinion posted here...But you know, I'm beginning to think Tice has changed his mind. In his two years as head coach, Bennett has already missed how many games?

Not only that, but what Onterrio has done when given the full load has been on par if not better than Bennett. Those are really the facts.

Tice went out of his way to promote Onterrio this week, and Onterrio delivered, even though Moe and Moore stole 10 potential carries from him. He blew away the Dallas D, the top ranked D from last season, with the same unit intact.

The team has spoken up about how valuable Smith is to the offense, not a peep about Bennett being out that I've seen.

Most people realize that Onterrio is the better runner, Bennett is simply faster. I think Tice has begun to realize that all that speed does Bennett no good when he can't stay healthy. Remember he was just asw upset about Bennett being injured as he was about Smith's possible suspension.

In the next few weeks, I believe O has a golden opportunity to cement himself into the starter's role.

EDIT: didn't know where to add this, but I thought this was some good stuff about Smith

The Vikings took a chance when they drafted Onterrio Smith in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

It paid off last season, and again on Sunday, as the former Oregon standout caught a 63-yard touchdown pass and rushed 15 times for 76 yards in a 35-17 victory over Dallas at the Metrodome.

Smith had his personal problems at Tennessee, then transferred to Oregon, where he had a clean slate. Now he has been suspended for four games by the NFL for some type of violation of the league substance abuse policy. He appealed the suspension and, for that reason, was able to play Sunday.

"I would have to say they were immature mistakes," he said after Sunday's game. "I just have to grow up. That's the bottom line.

"I see what the future holds, no doubt about that. Like I said, I have to grow up and become the man that they expect me to be and don't make any mistakes from here on out."

The Vikings might not have won Sunday had Smith not been available. Starter Michael Bennett has a sprained knee and might be out for a few weeks.

Vikings gambled

"We had Smith graded a lot higher than where he was drafted," said Scott Studwell, Vikings director of college scouting. "He was a potential first-round pick. There's a reason why he fell. I think everybody had the same concerns with him that we did at the time.

"When we were on the clock, and then he fell to the fourth round and the value that we had with him in the fourth round, it was an easy call to make. We had to weigh the off-field issues that were documented, that we knew about.

"Hopefully, he's gotten to a point in his life and the point in his career that he's running out of chances. He's a tremendous talent, and hopefully the kid can figure it out and understand we're counting on him to be a player here and we put a lot of faith in him. Hopefully this is going to be a hard lesson learned for him."

Studwell said the Vikings had four or five scouts check out Smith before the draft.

"All the problems he had at Tennessee were documented; it was well-known throughout the league. All of our scouts knew about it," Studwell said.

"He was a model [citizen] when he was at Oregon. He had not been in any trouble at Oregon, so you hope these guys can figure it out. He's one of those players that's got a world of potential. He's either going to keep going and be a great player in this league, or he's going to fizzle out. You just can't take those kind of chances and put yourself in those kind of positions, because people are going to give up on you if you do that."

Studwell said the Vikings were disappointed in Smith when it was announced that he would be suspended.

"It's a level of maturity," Studwell said. "Thinking that maybe you're a little bit above the law. Trying to get away with something. It's very hard to get away with that kind of nonsense in this league anymore because they are tested randomly all the time. They're making too much money, and there is too much pressure on these kids to ruin the kind of opportunity that he has as a football player."
link

Last edited by a moderator:

:hophead:
Thank you for proving my point conclusively. :P

Hmmm...let me think...stay healthy for more than one game.

As long as he's healthy (and obviously that's the main question with Bennett) the job will be his. What the strident Smith fans continue to ignore is Bennett has done nothing from a performance standpoint to lose his job. He's been hurt, but when he's been on the field he's clearly been productive. When you look at what he did last season on a badly injured foot, it speaks volumes.
Early in the season I was turning around to share the opinion posted here...But you know, I'm beginning to think Tice has changed his mind. In his two years as head coach, Bennett has already missed how many games?

Not only that, but what Onterrio has done when given the full load has been on par if not better than Bennett. Those are really the facts.

Tice went out of his way to promote Onterrio this week, and Onterrio delivered, even though Moe and Moore stole 10 potential carries from him. He blew away the Dallas D, the top ranked D from last season, with the same unit intact.

The team has spoken up about how valuable Smith is to the offense, not a peep about Bennett being out that I've seen.

Most people realize that Onterrio is the better runner, Bennett is simply faster. I think Tice has begun to realize that all that speed does Bennett no good when he can't stay healthy. Remember he was just asw upset about Bennett being injured as he was about Smith's possible suspension.

In the next few weeks, I believe O has a golden opportunity to cement himself into the starter's role.
It's certainly not out of the question. Smith is obviously talented. That isn't in doubt. However, I truly doubt Tice is going to turn the running game over to someone who faces a possible suspension. Also, I reiterate the point that Bennett has done nothing to lose this job from a performance standpoint. I don't think it's a fact to say "most people realize that Onterrio is the better runner." That's an opinion and there's nothing that indicates Tice or the Vikings' coaches share that sentiment. I'm sorry switz, but that's the truth. The Vikings clearly like Bennett too. Tice did not hesitate to name him the starter well before the start of camp and all of the stories coming out of Minnesota were how the coaches were excited to get the real Bennett back and how they wanted to keep him on the field, give the ball to him more etc. Did the injury throw a monkey wrench into all of that? Possibly, but personally (and yes this is just my opinion so we're clear) I doubt it. If Bennett returns healthy, why take him out of the starting lineup when so much of what you were doing during the pre-season and camp revolved around giving him the ball more and doing more things with him? That makes no sense at all. Now if Bennett returns and gets hurt again and Onterrio goes off, then Tice may decide he simply can't stick with Bennett and seek an alternative plan.

But that's a bridge that has yet to be crossed and if I were a betting man I'd bet Bennett keeps his starting job once he returns from his injury. I have seen nothing, not quotes from Tice or any reporter who covers the team, or anything from Smith in terms of his performance that would lead me to believe Bennett is in any danger of losing his starting job.

"Also, I reiterate the point that Bennett has done nothing to lose this job from a performance standpoint."
Well, since Bennett is injured all the time this statement is completely irrelevant.
At this time it isn't. In fact at this time it's one of the strongest pieces of evidence that should be used when trying to decipher and project the Vikings' RB situation.Now as I said if Bennett returns and gets hurt again then yes I would say the chances of Smith taking over permanently increase significantly. But once again, we've yet to cross that bridge and while it's certainly possible Bennett may get hurt again given his past history it's just as possible he stays healthy for the remainder of the season and remains Minnesota's starting RB.

What I don't get is if Smith was better then Bennett why the hell would Tice give the ball to Bennett?? Why would he stress that?? You SOD pimpers need to get a clue.. He is obviously 2nd fiddle to Bennett cause thats how Tice feels.. Since you guys are not an NFL coach I think you need to leave the arm chair stuff at home.. Is SOD a capable fill in.. Sure... A better RB well I doubt it...

For what it was worth, I was VERY interested to read that John Clayton told Jason Wood that the Vikings front office believes Onterrio is the most purely talented RB they have. Their concern about him is obviously his personal issues, but if he can get those under control, there's no way Bennett will be able to keep Onterrio off the field.

For what it was worth, I was VERY interested to read that John Clayton told Jason Wood that the Vikings front office believes Onterrio is the most purely talented RB they have. Their concern about him is obviously his personal issues, but if he can get those under control, there's no way Bennett will be able to keep Onterrio off the field.
Exactly. It will be RBBC at best for Bennett in games where Smith is available. There are two reasons for this: (1) Smith has high-end talent; (2) MIN will want to make sure Bennett is not overworked given his penchant to get injured. All that crap about Bennett being groomed for goal-line carries and getting more than 2/3 of the carries over the season no longer applies in light of Bennett's new injury. Bennett may get the majority of carries, but he is not going to be the second round stud that everybody was talking about when O. Smith's suspension was announced.

As a MN homer... I didn't take either in FF because I didn't want to take both. They are both talented, but Tice will give Bennett the ball UNTIL Onterrio can stop taking what Tice refers to as "vacations".

It is very obvious, when listening to Tice talk about SOD, that they like his talent... but it's just as obvious that they hate his personal issues. How can you hand over the offense to a guy who is one toke away from sitting out a year? You cannot, therefore, both guys will be in the mix, period.

BTW, the reason the suspension hasn't come down, is that the appeals board meets at the end of pre-season, then doesn't meet again until October. Onterrio's agent knew this, and waited to appeal until they had left. It was a pretty good strategic maneuver on their part. A loop hole I assume the NFL will close next year.

139 yards of offense, 1 TD, 5.1 YPC, and the Vikes killed the #1 rush defense team from last season. Yeeehaaaaa
Please tell me what drugs you are on. IT must be some really good stuff for you to be this delusional.If you think for one minute that Smith with take over Bennett's STARTING spot, then you are crazy. Why would Tice hand over the reigns to a running back that keeps getting into trouble? What happens next time Smith decides to take a toke?Can't wait to bump this thread all year long. Idiot!!

Please tell me what drugs you are on. IT must be some really good stuff for you to be this delusional.If you think for one minute that Smith with take over Bennett's STARTING spot, then you are crazy. Why would Tice hand over the reigns to a running back that keeps getting into trouble? What happens next time Smith decides to take a toke?Can't wait to bump this thread all year long. Idiot!!
Unless Bennett gets hurt yet again, which seems likely. I'll take SOD for a couple of weeks if I can get him off the waiver wire this week, given Chris Brown's weird situation.

It's certainly not out of the question. Smith is obviously talented. That isn't in doubt. However, I truly doubt Tice is going to turn the running game over to someone who faces a possible suspension. Also, I reiterate the point that Bennett has done nothing to lose this job from a performance standpoint. I don't think it's a fact to say "most people realize that Onterrio is the better runner." That's an opinion and there's nothing that indicates Tice or the Vikings' coaches share that sentiment. I'm sorry switz, but that's the truth. The Vikings clearly like Bennett too. Tice did not hesitate to name him the starter well before the start of camp and all of the stories coming out of Minnesota were how the coaches were excited to get the real Bennett back and how they wanted to keep him on the field, give the ball to him more etc.
A few things.It's much easier for the coach to anoint the veteran over the near-rookie at the beginning of the season, regardless of who they think is better (unless it's a dramatic difference). Warner/Manning is only one example. Warner/Bulger is another. Brees/Rivers is another. Green/Suggs may be another (but the injury and Davis' historic incompetence clouds the picture). Part of the problem is that in this case it's not a fading vet vs. a very talented newcomer, it's a very talented vet vs. a very very talented newcomer, and barring injury the very talented vet usually wins out in those.At this point, I think Onterrio has earned himself at least 10 carries in every game this year as long as he's not suspended. I also think that every game Bennett misses, either due to this injury or the next injury or the one after that, Onterrio starts, gets 20+ attempts, and begins to cement himself as the starter.A lot of this is just inertia. Nobody wants to bench Bennett because he is a vet and a pro-bowler. But if Onterrio manages to keep racking up starts and big games, it becomes more and more thinkable to anoint him the starter.Simply put, Bennett is still the starter, but the race just got a lot closer. And I still like Onterrio to win out eventually.

Bump it all you want. Tice has alredy said he feels Smith is the most purely talented runner on the team. He didn't hold him out despite the looming suspension. He's said he's rooting for him.The ONLY reason Bennett got the starting nod was SPEED... and how much speed will he have after two foot injuries?He's not as good a receiver as Smith. He's not as good a blocker as Smith. He's not as good a runner as Smith.Before he was even hurt Tice was saying Smith would see alot of playing time. It was only on these boards that Bennett fans were saying he'd get the majority of the work, th eGl, the 3d downs etc.Stop listening to the Bennett hype, and start learning how to evaluate players.

Users who are viewing this thread