What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SHAUN ALEXANDER INFO (1 Viewer)

Still no word on the MRI?? hmmm...
The seahawks.com website shows that Holmgren has his normally scheduled Monday press conferences at 5:15 ET. So maybe we'll hear something in an hour and a half.

"That's what you guys get for drafting too early, that is why I wait until AFTER week 1" :mellow: Seeing idiots type that every year I've always wanted to do that. :excited:I couldnt help myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seahawks | Alexander Injury Update - from www.KFFL.comMon, 13 Sep 2004 13:32:24 -0700ESPNews reports Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander (knee) does not have a torn ACL. As reported, he's expected to miss one or two games after suffering a knee injury in Week 1.
So far, so good. :thumbup:

I saw the injury as well. When he cut to his left, his right knee bent awkwardly. It appeared to be an injury to the outside of his knee, which to me indicates an injury to the MCL. Here is some info on MCL - "What are the symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury?The most common symptom following a medial collateral ligament injury is pain directly over the ligament. If only the MCL is injured, walking is usually not a problem, and athletes are often able to return to competition. Swelling directly over the torn ligament may appear, and bruising and generalized joint swelling are common 1 to 2 days after the injury. Symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury tend to correlate with the extent of the injury. MCL injuries are graded on a scale of I to III. A grade I injury is a small tear within the ligament, and a grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. What is the treatment for a medial collateral ligament injury?Treatment of a medial collateral ligament injury rarely requires surgical intervention. Grade I sprains of the MCL usually resolve within a few weeks. Resting from activity, icing the injury, and some anti-inflammatory medications will usually be all the treatment that is needed. When a grade II MCL sprain occurs, use of a hinged knee brace is common in early treatment. Athletes with a grade II injury can return to activity once they are not having pain over the MCL. When a grade III injury occurs, patients usually wear a hinged knee brace and protect weight-bearing with a gradual return to normal activities. Patients with more severe injuries usually require physical therapy and will not return to their full level of activity for 3 to 4 months. "

How much could Mack Strong figure into the offense with Alexander out? He did have more attempts/yds yesterday: ATT YDS TD LGM. Strong 7 25 0 8M. Morris 4 10 0 6

Anyone listening to Holmgren's Media Session at seahawks.com? I'm not getting any audio for some reason.
No audio here either. The video is good, I saved an interesting slide which I am hosting here

"A chance he could play this week," regarding Alexander. Diagnosed as a "bone bruise." "If he can't play, Mo plays, Carter plays, we don't forfeit the game."MRI was negative, though, for any ligament damage.FWIW

Holmgren said it is a "Bone bruise" and SA is very sore. Probably won't play this week but there is still a chance. Didn't definitively say the MRI was back but sounded like he it probably was.

Just listened to Holmgren's press conference. He said it looks like a "bone bruise" there was no ligament damage and he'll be day to day. He said it could have been a lot worse and there is a chance he will even play this week.Basically - he's day to day.GREAT news for all Alexander owners.

Holmgren said it is a "Bone bruise" and SA is very sore. Probably won't play this week but there is still a chance. Didn't definitively say the MRI was back but sounded like he it probably was.
Well that's interesting since his knee buckled with no apparent contact. Wonder how you get a bone bruise from that....

Well that's interesting since his knee buckled with no apparent contact. Wonder how you get a bone bruise from that....
good point. maybe he got hit in the knee on a previous play, and it didn't really hurt until he tried to make a cut on it?

Well that's interesting since his knee buckled with no apparent contact.
Last night he and some of the players said his toe got caught in the turf which twisted his knee weird.

I don't know what reason they'd have for lying, but how on earth do you bruise a bone simply cutting?! Without doing more damage?Is there a doctor in the house?

Also if SA were out, didn't definitively say that Mo will get all carries and did mention Carter could have an impact.
Holmgren just said Morris will get the carries if Alexander can't play, and that there would not be RBBC!

:wall: :wall: :wall: was there something wrong with the other thread? Sometimes I think people start threads just to see their names in that middle column :rolleyes:

Not a doctor, nor did I see the play or the game. But I'll throw one possibility out there, that he bruised the knee on an earlier play causing him to feel pain when cutting. I've bruised my knees plenty of times and can relate to it.

Who cares how he got a bone bruise on that run, the bottom line is that the injury is just a bruise and not serious.Just a matter of time before those hoping SA was out for a long time to start a conspiracy thread on how the bruise is just a cover for an ACL injury.

Well, technically, I don't think there is such a thing as a bone "bruise," which I always understood was a contusion to tissue--not bone. But, whatever the case, Holmgren--the way he sounded--it was as if he didn't understand the diagnosis, either. "...what they're calling a bone bruise," were his words. But, the final word (for today, at least) is that Shaun's D2D for now. It's "painful" but there was nothing structurally wrong with what happened. Holmgren also stated very clearly that he wasn't going to split time--either Shaun starts and "plays the game" or Mo starts. So, he's either a go or he's not this week. Should pay attention to updates around Thurs or Fri to see how he's doing. Likely won't know anything more until then.All-in-all, it's good news. Annoying, but it's not anything too serious.

Here are a few guesses.The ACL,MCL and PCL keep the femur and tibia (tibula if you are Howie Long) stable. If any of those ligaments becomed strained or sretched, there is a chance that those two bones could impact each other, causing a bone bruise.However, he could also have had meniscal damage. The meniscus acts as a shock absorber b/t the before mentioned bones.I have watched the replay of the injury and it looks worse than things sound rught now. The way he was cutting and the way he went down immediately after look peculiar to me.I would imagine that there was some sweeling post game and that the swelling really didn't go down much today. MRI's aren't set in stone.I would be careful if I were SA and not hurry back too soon.Hopefully it is nothing serious, but taking a few games off now could save him for the rest of the year.

:wall: :wall: :wall: was there something wrong with the other thread? Sometimes I think people start threads just to see their names in that middle column :rolleyes:
Sometimes threads that are 5-pages long and have sprouted into other topics. This was specific information, not so much on the injury as it occurred, but the most updated diagnosis and prognosis that we have.I couldn't care less about seeing my name on a message board. But, if other owners were as panicked as I was about Shaun's status, I thought this would be a good home to find relief.Sorry if that reaks of something self-indulgent--it was just meant as an update to the sharks.

I appreciate the fact it's in a new thread. Frankly, after going through 5 pages of wannabee doctors predicting a diagnosis based on what everyone saw on TV, a bit like this is welcome and deserved it's own space.

Didn't Holmegren(sp?) say Dilfer had an "ankle strain" and would miss 1-2 weeks before coming out and telling us that it was a full tear of the achilles? I am still concerned that we are not hearing the whole truth.

:yes: Please post more, you have the best avatar I have ever seen! :yes:

I appreciate the fact it's in a new thread. Frankly, after going through 5 pages of wannabee doctors predicting a diagnosis based on what everyone saw on TV, a bit like this is welcome and deserved it's own space.
Well this *was* its own thread. Frankly I wish it stayed that way. I'm an Alexander owner who stopped reading this thread somewhere around page 4. By that point any pertinent info was diluted by everyone's personal dilemma, draft strategies and jokes. With this starting out as its own thread, I was able to get the updated info pronto and not have to open it up see if the new posts were worth reading. If nothing else, this thread should have been locked and the new thread kept open. Just my worthless :2cents:

I posted a new thread based on the new info and the fact that this one is still saying he's out 2 weeks in the title. Time to update the original post or discuss in a different thread.

I posted a new thread based on the new info and the fact that this one is still saying he's out 2 weeks in the title. Time to update the original post or discuss in a different thread.
:confused: huh? the thread titles says he "may miss up to 2 weeks." Which is still the case....I'm not sure why it's so hard to forward to the final page and read from where you last checked in....But mostly I just wanted to give Rounders another look at Misty May's glorious tush :bow:

*****BREAKING NEWS*****

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7677751

Seahawks star RB day-to-day with bruised right knee

Sept. 13, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander has a bone bruise on his right knee but could play in next Sunday's game at Tampa Bay.

"It might be a week or two," coach Mike Holmgren said. "There's a chance he can play this week. We'll just have to see how it goes."

An MRI exam disclosed the injury, which earlier had been reported as a knee sprain. Alexander was hurt late in a 21-7 win at New Orleans in which he rushed for 135 yards on 28 carries. He ran for two touchdowns and caught a TD pass.

If Alexander can't play next week, Maurice Morris or Kerry Carter will step in.

"We hope he can play, but if he can't then we'll have to go to the next guy. I'd expect that man to play well, and that goes for any position on the team," Holmgren said.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Wasn't one of Edge's early diagonsis a bone bruise? I don't know, I might not be relieved until I actually see Alexander on the field and playing.

Wasn't one of Edge's early diagonsis a bone bruise? I don't know, I might not be relieved until I actually see Alexander on the field and playing.
My thoughts exactly

As per ESPN Monday Night Countdown.....Alexander is day to day and is expected to play NEXT WEEK! :eek: :yes: :thumbup: Da trufe. :thumbup:

Didn't Holmegren(sp?) say Dilfer had an "ankle strain" and would miss 1-2 weeks before coming out and telling us that it was a full tear of the achilles? I am still concerned that we are not hearing the whole truth.
``The knee bone and the leg bone, they smacked into each other and that's not normal,'' Alexander said. ``Everyone said that I'm really blessed. Normally, you tear an ACL or an MCL when that happens. Mine didn't.''

would now be a good time to try and trade a 2nd tier RB like S. Davis for Alexander?
I think that would be a very bad idea. You will be hard pressed to go a long ways by replacing a first rounder with a 3rd rounder (OK, maybe late 2nd). I don't have Alexander but if I sensed a nervous owner, I would be trying to trade FOR him right now. It sounds like he will be fine. In most cases, ligament or cartiledge damage would have been revealed by today's MRI. Think of all the injuries in the past where that has been the case. Edge stands out as the exception that I remember. So, I am reasonably confident that SA is going to be fine. Maybe he misses a week or 2. So what. I want to build the best team possible for the playoffs. The shark move is to accept the risk of holding onto SA unless you can get 1st round value for him in return. Likewise, if you can trade away a lesser player to land him, I would by all means do it.edit -> I think I may have interpretted your question backwards. Sorry.

Some chump in the Seahawks NG posted that Alexander was out 8-12. He had no link, no source and no other details. I naturally assume it was a jacka## babbling. Anyone hear any different?

Someone in my league already M Morris in Seattle. No one has Kerry Carter for Alexander's back up. Does anyone know if he could potentially be Alexander's main back up?

Users who are viewing this thread