What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith injury (1 Viewer)

I don't wish injury on anyone, but that just wrapped up a victory for me. I'm up by 2 points as we speak (with no players left), and my opponent has Smitty.My guess is a season-ending injury. Ankles aren't supposed to bend that way. :(

From the slo mo replay, it looked like Navies broke it. To me anyway. Nothing official or anything, just how it looked to my decidedly non medical eye.

They haven't even announced anything on TV yet, so there's no telling...It definitely didn't look good, and him having to be carted off is REALLY not good... I think a lot of fantasy owners will be crying tomorrow when we find out for sure.. :cry:

Let me try this again, since the boards are broken once more.

TOTAL SPECULATION/OBSERVATION FOLLOWS--I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

But...looking at the replay of that injury, Steve Smith just dislocated his ankle. At best--at worst, it's a compound fracture and a dislocation. Considering his position & the fact that Smith is primarily a speed guy, if I'm right he's looking at 2-3 months out, minimum, and quite possibly the season.

A total shame for a guy who's just working his way into the upper echelon of NFL receivers, and a huge blow to the Panthers & their NFC title defense.

I won on Smith's last catch (pts for reception), but now I'm screwed for the year. That looks bad and Plaxico, Javon, McCareins and Eric Parker don't scare anyone. Especially in a league where receivers score well and we start 3. Man that was brutal, his ankle looked bad.

it looked bad enuff that i picked up proehl in a couple of ffa transaction leagues...muhammed was drafted, so went with the next option...

Listening to the game online and they said that it really did not look good. No update from the locker room yet though. :fingerscrossed:

I'd also like to congratulate ABC & Michelle Tafoya for going to a riveting sideline report on the Packers' air compressor following the commercial break while Smith was carted off the field. Way to dig for the important facts!

I'm thinking Muhammed becomes a hot waiver pickup
Not if someone in your league was smart enough to draft him.
Like me - in a 16 teamer no less....now he'll be vying for time with Mason, Porter and Fitz....And i'm sure i'll be benching the wrong one each week ;)That really sucks for Smith though.....I was looking forward to watching him this year just as a fan....don't have him on any teams, but it's a shame to see guys go down like that so early in such a promising year :( major downer. And yes, that looked broken....really broken. Theisman-esque broken.

Serves me right.

I wrote a post on my football blog this afternoon pimping the guy.

:wall:

You might want to look away son. This one is going to hurt...

:rotflmao: Loving the "my season is done" comments 5 minutes after a player is hurt (with no indication how bad) in week 1 of the season."sharks" :thumbup:

:rotflmao: Loving the "my season is done" comments 5 minutes after a player is hurt (with no indication how bad) in week 1 of the season."sharks" :thumbup:
Someone must not have seen the injury..."blind sharks"

Looks like a lot of us are in same boat:144 User(s) are reading this topic (66 Guests and 4 Anonymous Users)

I saw it and I don't care if his leg was ripped from his body...your season isn't over in week 1 if you have any ####ing clue as to what you are doing.

Thats what i get for secretly wishing SA out for the season. At least the price i paid was only a guy i have in one league, and a non-money leaue at that.

I think he's referring to the people crying about their fantasy seasons being over because of this injury, and not to the speculation that Smith's year is done.

So do we like Colbert here or not yet? Regardless of the medical debate (broken) here, this should be an opportuniy for Keary to step up.Opinions?

shiznit, lost Rogers, S.A., and now Smith this week. Thought I had a decent draft and now I'll have to struggle and hope I get lucky with some waiver wire pick-ups.

I just watched it closely on TIVO and I didn't see anything "pop" out of his ankle. I agree it looks bad and he's probably seriously injured, but...I did notice that when he was leaving the field, he had his leg/ankle sitting normally on the cart. It wasn't being stabalized or propped up and there was no special attention being paid to it. Not that it necessarily means anything, but if it had been clearly broken I would've expected a little more caution by Smith and the trainer riding the cart with him. Maybe it's just a bad sprain, not that those don't linger and cause big-time problems too. As a Smith owner, I'm probably grasping at straws.

I just watched it closely on TIVO and I didn't see anything "pop" out of his ankle. I agree it looks bad and he's probably seriously injured, but...I did notice that when he was leaving the field, he had his leg/ankle sitting normally on the cart. It wasn't being stabalized or propped up and there was no special attention being paid to it. Not that it necessarily means anything, but if it had been clearly broken I would've expected a little more caution by Smith and the trainer riding the cart with him. Maybe it's just a bad sprain, not that those don't linger and cause big-time problems too. As a Smith owner, I'm probably grasping at straws.
I thought I saw a compression splint on his ankle after they got him on the cart?

Been playing fantasy football for a long time so I know my season is not even close to being over. But it just makes you sick at your stomach when you prepare for months and have a great draft but lose one of your starting receivers in the 1st week (if he's out that is). Oh boy! :cry:

shiznit, lost Rogers, S.A., and now Smith this week. Thought I had a decent draft and now I'll have to struggle and hope I get lucky with some waiver wire pick-ups.
You poor SOB. I feel your pain.

:rotflmao: Loving the "my season is done" comments 5 minutes after a player is hurt (with no indication how bad) in week 1 of the season."sharks"  :thumbup:
I think he's referring to the people crying about their fantasy seasons being over because of this injury, and not to the speculation that Smith's year is done.
:thumbup:

Mushin sitting there in 2 leagues and Yahoo waivers are coming up with freaking errors.
SAME thing happened to me and I have Steve......when I saw that hit i had a bad feeling. It looked horrible....and the second he started crawling to the sidelines I hopped on my comp to grab Mush...who I remember someone dropping a few days before. I got the error message for a good 20 minutes before I finally got him. Whew......feeling slightly safer now.Ironic thing is I remember thinking..."why did the guy drop Mush"....thank god he did.Tha injury reminded me of McCaffreys injury on MNF a few seasons back when he broke his leg against the Rams I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread