What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** Astros / White Sox WS Thread (1 Viewer)

After watching many games of both the Cards and 'Stros the last few years, I can say only one thing for certain: I would #### myself if I ever had to step into the batter's box against Brad Lidge.

Game 2: Oswalt vs. Mulder ... Definite edge to Oswalt. Oswalt had Mulder beaten in every single pitching catagory that matters. Plus Mulder is still hurting after taking one to the bicept. Who knows if that going to affect him adversely.
IF Mulder's injury prevents him from pitching well, yes it's a lop-sided advantage. If Mulder is even 90%, the matchup is even.
What makes you think that? Like I said Mulder is beaten in every single pitching stat that matters. IP, ERA, K, BB, WHIP, K/BB, BB/9. K/9 and so on
Mulder vs. Astros 20054 games

29 innings

23 hits

8 runs

2.00 ERA

Oswalt vs. Cardinals 2005

3 games

19 innings

23 hits

11 runs

3.66 ERA

After watching many games of both the Cards and 'Stros the last few years, I can say only one thing for certain: I would #### myself if I ever had to step into the batter's box against Brad Lidge.
If, God forbid...the Yankees end up facing the Astros in the World Series, can they just play 7 inning games and call it a night?

Agree.....he has the Cards' number......let's hope the Cardinals can keep him in the bullpen.

Game 2: Oswalt vs. Mulder ... Definite edge to Oswalt. Oswalt had Mulder beaten in every single pitching catagory that matters. Plus Mulder is still hurting after taking one to the bicept. Who knows if that going to affect him adversely.
IF Mulder's injury prevents him from pitching well, yes it's a lop-sided advantage. If Mulder is even 90%, the matchup is even.
What makes you think that? Like I said Mulder is beaten in every single pitching stat that matters. IP, ERA, K, BB, WHIP, K/BB, BB/9. K/9 and so on

29 innings

23 hits

8 runs

2.00 ERA

3 games

19 innings

23 hits

11 runs

3.66 ERA
Hold on.This is COMPLETELY misleading.

The Cardinals have an amazing offense. That hurts Oswalt's stats against St. Louis.

The Astros had a horrid offense until June, then it became average. That vastly helps Mulder's stats.

If you're comparing pitchers like this, then you can't claim the Cardinals' offense as an advantage...because it's built into these stats.

As a Cards fan...I'd feel much, much better if Reyes and Scott Rolen were around.
:yes: Walker HAS to get back on track and Nunez and Grudz need to be productive from here on out. You know what you're getting from Eck, Pujols, Sanders, and Edmonds every night - for better or worse. Those three guys have got to get it together in the clutch.

My brain nearly explodes every time Ray King takes the mound. Hopefully Flores will bring it.

29 innings

23 hits

8 runs

2.00 ERA

3 games

19 innings

23 hits

11 runs

3.66 ERA

The Cardinals have an amazing offense. That hurts Oswalt's stats against St. Louis.

The Astros had a horrid offense until June, then it became average. That vastly helps Mulder's stats.

If you're comparing pitchers like this, then you can't claim the Cardinals' offense as an advantage...because it's built into these stats.
Misleading? All I'm showing is how each pitcher did. Mulder pitched better against the Astros than Oswalt did against the Cardinals.

St. Louis should be heavily favored going into this series. The Astros starting rotation is the only thing that could keep it competitive. That being said, look for the improbable in the Astros offense coming to life and this series turning into a slugfest. If that happens, the edge goes to the Astros due to their bullpen. For St. Louis to win, they have to keep their bullpen off the mound. Should be a good series to watch.

Mulder vs. Astros 2005

4 games

29 innings

23 hits

8 runs

2.00 ERA

3 games

19 innings

23 hits

11 runs

3.66 ERA

:lmao: :lmao: It is "COMPLETELY misleading" to post stats against the opponent they will face in the playoff series we are discussing? That's fantastic. I have high hopes for this thread.FTR, Mulder's four starts against HOU were spread evenly throughout the season:

4/23: Went the distance in a 1-0, 10-inning win. That's right, Mulder pitched a 10-inning shutout on 101 pitches.

6/5: Got shelled and lasted only three innings, taking the loss.

7/15: Gave up one run in eight innings, and left with the lead. Took a NO-D because Izzy blew the save in the 9th, but the Cards won the game in 13.

9/2: Gave up two runs (one unearned) on just two hits and two walks in eight innings, and left with the lead. Took a NO-D because Izzy blew the save in the 9th, and the Cards lost in 13.

So in four starts sprinkled throughout the season, Mulder pitched at least eight innings three times, and gave up more than one earned run only once.
Yes, it is completely misleading. And you obviously didn't read my post at all to find out why, you just decided to post all about how Mulder pitched well against Houston's mediocre offense, and ignored my point about how Oswalt gave up one run a game more against a much better Cardinals offense.But, you've obviously got the blinders on if you won't even read my post and answer the point, instead of babbling away, so I'll just stop trying now.

29 innings

23 hits

8 runs

2.00 ERA

3 games

19 innings

23 hits

11 runs

3.66 ERA

Misleading? All I'm showing is how each pitcher did. Mulder pitched better against the Astros than Oswalt did against the Cardinals.
Go read my point again.If you're comparing how you expect each *team* to do in an individual game based off the starters, that's fine.

But if you want to say...look, Mulder's done much better against the Astros than Oswalt against the Cardinals....AND the Cardinals have a much better offense, so it should be even more of a blowout, that's misleading.

The Cardinals' offensive prowess is figured into Oswalt's stats against St. Louis, and Houston's mediocre offense is figured into Mulder's stats against Houston.

That's all I'm saying.

St. Louis should be heavily favored going into this series. The Astros starting rotation is the only thing that could keep it competitive. That being said, look for the improbable in the Astros offense coming to life and this series turning into a slugfest. If that happens, the edge goes to the Astros due to their bullpen. For St. Louis to win, they have to keep their bullpen off the mound. Should be a good series to watch.
Remember, coming from the Astros homer:Why does everyone assume that Houston has the better bullpen because of Lidge? Izzy is no slouch himself...and the Cardinals have better middle relief.

That matchup is even.

It comes down to the Astros SP advantage against St. Louis's hitting advantage. That's all.

By the way, please look past my frustrated tone and look at the information I'm posting.You have to realize I've been a huge Astros homer for most of my life...and I'm living in Cards-land, where everyone wants to tell me "Oooh, the Astros suck so bad...and Pujols rulz...one person even saying I must be quote--a ######ed fa***t for liking the Astros.So I'm going to ask you guys to play nice with me. I'd like to discuss the series, but I know I'm vastly outnumbered here, and in the real world. So respect for the outnumbered would be a little helpful.

As a Cards fan...I'd feel much, much better if Reyes and Scott Rolen were around.
:yes: Walker HAS to get back on track and Nunez and Grudz need to be productive from here on out. You know what you're getting from Eck, Pujols, Sanders, and Edmonds every night - for better or worse. Those three guys have got to get it together in the clutch.

My brain nearly explodes every time Ray King takes the mound. Hopefully Flores will bring it.
Yeah...King just lost it. He was solid in 2004. Real solid. Now he seems to have put on 35 pounds and lost 10 mph. Not a good combo.

St. Louis should be heavily favored going into this series.  The Astros starting rotation is the only thing that could keep it competitive.  That being said, look for the improbable in the Astros offense coming to life and this series turning into a slugfest.  If that happens, the edge goes to the Astros due to their bullpen.  For St. Louis to win, they have to keep their bullpen off the mound.  Should be a good series to watch.
Remember, coming from the Astros homer:Why does everyone assume that Houston has the better bullpen because of Lidge? Izzy is no slouch himself...and the Cardinals have better middle relief.

That matchup is even.

It comes down to the Astros SP advantage against St. Louis's hitting advantage. That's all.
Wow. No WAY is Izzy even close to the level Lidge is at. The middle relievers are equally shaky for both teams...but the 'Stros have a guy that can get them 6 outs. That is very, very important. Bullpen edge to the Astros, no question.

You have to realize I've been a huge Astros homer for most of my life...and I'm living in Cards-land, where everyone wants to tell me "Oooh, the Astros suck so bad...and Pujols rulz...one person even saying I must be quote--a ######ed fa***t for liking the Astros.
Living in Cards-land? Do you mean St. Louis or this message board?I ask because, trust me, no one in St. Louis (where I live) thinks Houston sucks and that this is going to be a walkover. Everyone I talk to is expecting this series to be a dogfight.

Go read my point again.

If you're comparing how you expect each *team* to do in an individual game based off the starters, that's fine.

But if you want to say...look, Mulder's done much better against the Astros than Oswalt against the Cardinals....AND the Cardinals have a much better offense, so it should be even more of a blowout, that's misleading.

The Cardinals' offensive prowess is figured into Oswalt's stats against St. Louis, and Houston's mediocre offense is figured into Mulder's stats against Houston.

That's all I'm saying.
Okay:1. I read your posts again (and will play nice)

2. I don't understand your reasoning. So I should dismiss the Cardinals offense because Oswalt pitched well against the rest of MLB? I never said "blowout" btw....

3. Of course the Cardinals offensive prowess is figured into Oswalt's stats against the Cardinals..... :confused:

4. How else do I figure Mulder's starts against the Astros? :confused:

You have to realize I've been a huge Astros homer for most of my life...and I'm living in Cards-land, where everyone wants to tell me "Oooh, the Astros suck so bad...and Pujols rulz...one person even saying I must be quote--a ######ed fa***t for liking the Astros.
Living in Cards-land? Do you mean St. Louis or this message board?I ask because, trust me, no one in St. Louis (where I live) thinks Houston sucks and that this is going to be a walkover. Everyone I talk to is expecting this series to be a dogfight.
Worse.I live in Columbia, MO (University of Missouri grad student).

Take your average, knowledgable Cardinals' fan (which I've come to respect, and is the reason I can't bring myself to hate the Cardinals) and decrease about 100 IQ points, and add a "know it all" attitude on top.

I don't parade the fact I'm an Astros fan, I'm not that stupid. I just wanted to wear a stupid hat today because of what happened last night.

I didn't expect this today. And the hat's gone into my computer bag. These people are an embarrassment to Cardinals' fans.

And so I do not forget to say it, Isringhausen and Morris both scare the hell out of me. I think I age six months every time one of those guys takes the mound. And I would like to remind everyone that Jeff Suppan outpitched Roger Clemens in game 7 of the 2004 NLCS, so while the Astros top three starters are a scary bunch, it is not as simple as saying the Astros will win because of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Columbia, MO (University of Missouri grad student).

Take your average, knowledgable Cardinals' fan (which I've come to respect, and is the reason I can't bring myself to hate the Cardinals) and decrease about 100 IQ points, and add a "know it all" attitude on top.

I don't parade the fact I'm an Astros fan, I'm not that stupid. I just wanted to wear a stupid hat today because of what happened last night.

I didn't expect this today. And the hat's gone into my computer bag. These people are an embarrassment to Cardinals' fans.
Bah. Drunk college students are not an accurate representative sample of what a true Cardinals fan is. :P

Go read my point again.

If you're comparing how you expect each *team* to do in an individual game based off the starters, that's fine.

That's all I'm saying.
Okay:1. I read your posts again (and will play nice)

2. I don't understand your reasoning. So I should dismiss the Cardinals offense because Oswalt pitched well against the rest of MLB? I never said "blowout" btw....

3. Of course the Cardinals offensive prowess is figured into Oswalt's stats against the Cardinals..... :confused:

4. How else do I figure Mulder's starts against the Astros? :confused:
1. Thank you. I probably won't mind later in the week, but it was a bad decision to wear the hat today.2. No, but you got it in #3.

3. Yes, it is, and that's my point. If you're comparing Oswalt against the Cards to Mulder against the Astros, that's fine, and perfectly valid. But, if you do that...my point is, you can't add the Cardinals' offensive dominance on top of that, because it's already figured into the pitching stats. That's all.

And so I do not forget to say it, Isringhausen and Morris both scare the hell out of me. I think I age six months every time one of those guys takes the mound.

And I would like to remind everyone that Jeff Suppan outpitched Roger Clemens in game 7 of the 2004 NLCS, so while the Astros top three starters are a scary bunch, it is not as simple as saying the Astros will win because of them.
Clemens scares me, honestly.He's been very unreliable in the playoffs as an Astro. Yes, he pitched miraculously yesterday, but that's not nearly indicative of how he's done as an Astro in the playoffs.

By the way, if you want my prediction, I say Cards in 5. The Astros have a slight pitching edge, but are far, far behind in hitting.

But, I'm still rooting for my boys.

I live in Columbia, MO (University of Missouri grad student).

Bah. Drunk college students are not an accurate representative sample of what a true Cardinals fan is. :P
No, they're not, but I've taken a lot of abuse from very random people.I'm pretty thick skinned (I was a little league umpire as a teenager, then a television reporter for three years as a professional...I can take abuse), but this was ridiculous.

Yeah...King just lost it. He was solid in 2004. Real solid. Now he seems to have put on 35 pounds and lost 10 mph. Not a good combo.
Ray King = David Wells?

For those who are not aware, Ray King's father just passed away within the last week. He had been sick all summer. That is the main reason why King has been so ineffective this summer.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH "KNOW IT ALLS".HUGS AND KISSES,

MR. KNOW-IT-ALL

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH "KNOW IT ALLS".HUGS AND KISSES,

MR. KNOW-IT-ALL

For those who are not aware, Ray King's father just passed away within the last week. He had been sick all summer. That is the main reason why King has been so ineffective this summer.
I didn't hear that he passed away. That's too bad. Not to be insensitive...but dozens of athletes lose a parent each season. They are professionals and have to get through it. It shouldn't be an excuse and I don't think it's the "main reason" why he's been ineffective. Not hitting his spots, lack of movement on his pitches and loss of velocity are the reasons he's ineffective.

For those who are not aware, Ray King's father just passed away within the last week.  He had been sick all summer.  That is the main reason why King has been so ineffective this summer.
I didn't hear that he passed away. That's too bad. Not to be insensitive...but dozens of athletes lose a parent each season. They are professionals and have to get through it. It shouldn't be an excuse and I don't think it's the "main reason" why he's been ineffective. Not hitting his spots, lack of movement on his pitches and loss of velocity are the reasons he's ineffective.
I agree. I sympathize. But regardless of the reason if he can't get the job done, he can't get the job done. The playoffs are no time for working out your personal issues. I find it telling that LaRussa put Flores into the situations requiring LHP in the Padres series. TLR is all about trusting his guys through thick and thin (See Morris, Matt and Fassero, Jeff), and if he isn't willing to go to King as his first LHP option any longer, that's not a good sign RE: what we should expect from Ray.

Roger Clemens on the DP Show:

NL Cy Young? Chris Carpenter

NL MVP? Albert Pujols

Flattery will get you nowhere, Grandpa.
I agree with him, and I'm clearly not trying to flatter anyone here.I think the key to this series is Game 1. If Houston wins, they have a reasonable chance...St. Louis could be on the ropes early.

If not, it could be a really, really short series.

since the 'stros started out 15-30 they have managed to go 74-43. a not too shabby .632 winning %.the cards went 71-47 over that same span.

Game 1 of the NLCS starts tonight and PTI didn't even discuss it. Sad.
They gave it about 5 seconds at the end to give Wilbon's prediction.They didn't talk much baseball at all, to be fair. They gave about 1:30 to last night's game...but you think they'd give more than that.

I guess the "Wild Animal" and the sex party=ratings.

Well, this thread sits here and none of us are really discussing it, so is there really much surprise there? I'm officially concerned. The Cardinals bullpen scares me without Reyes, Walker didn't hit at all in the Padres series, our starting pitchers turned schizo the last month of the season, and we've been sitting around for 4 days while the Astros were taking part in a meaningful, challenging series. Here's hoping for a gem from Carp and a win in game 1 to shake the rust off right.

Well, this thread sits here and none of us are really discussing it, so is there really much surprise there?

I'm officially concerned. The Cardinals bullpen scares me without Reyes, Walker didn't hit at all in the Padres series, our starting pitchers turned schizo the last month of the season, and we've been sitting around for 4 days while the Astros were taking part in a meaningful, challenging series. Here's hoping for a gem from Carp and a win in game 1 to shake the rust off right.
I'll be here all game.I'll discuss the game all you want.

I think, as I've said earlier, that Game 1 will decide the entire series. If the Astros win, they have so much momentum that it just might be impossible to stop them.

If not, the Cards got a decent performance from Carpenter, who was struggling, they took out the Astros best pitcher, and they've proven they have no rust.

This game is *very* important.

Hmm, that last lead-in involved all Angels/White Sox players.I think that tells us what the Media cares about: LA and Chicago. Screw St. Louis and Houston, who gives a crap about them!Thank god a New York team didn't make it this far, otherwise it's be merciless.

Mulder vs. Astros 2005

4 games

29 innings

23 hits

8 runs

2.00 ERA

3 games

19 innings

23 hits

11 runs

3.66 ERA

:lmao: :lmao: It is "COMPLETELY misleading" to post stats against the opponent they will face in the playoff series we are discussing? That's fantastic. I have high hopes for this thread.FTR, Mulder's four starts against HOU were spread evenly throughout the season:

4/23: Went the distance in a 1-0, 10-inning win. That's right, Mulder pitched a 10-inning shutout on 101 pitches.

6/5: Got shelled and lasted only three innings, taking the loss.

7/15: Gave up one run in eight innings, and left with the lead. Took a NO-D because Izzy blew the save in the 9th, but the Cards won the game in 13.

9/2: Gave up two runs (one unearned) on just two hits and two walks in eight innings, and left with the lead. Took a NO-D because Izzy blew the save in the 9th, and the Cards lost in 13.

So in four starts sprinkled throughout the season, Mulder pitched at least eight innings three times, and gave up more than one earned run only once.
Yes, it is completely misleading. And you obviously didn't read my post at all to find out why, you just decided to post all about how Mulder pitched well against Houston's mediocre offense, and ignored my point about how Oswalt gave up one run a game more against a much better Cardinals offense.But, you've obviously got the blinders on if you won't even read my post and answer the point, instead of babbling away, so I'll just stop trying now.
I'm sorry you feel that I didn't read your post. In the long run, you will find that I often have a lot to say in response to substantial posts. Without any specifics to support your position, I was on my own. Had I known you were professional reposrter and therefore a very important person around here, I would have gone into more detail. Anyway, let's look at the differentials:OFFENSE

STL R/G: 4.97

HOU R/G: 4.25

STL R/G - HOU R/G: 0.72

Without accounting for injuries or quality of opponent, the Cards were 0.72 runs per game better than the Astros offensively. Given that the league average was 4.45, and the range was from 3.94 (WAS) to 5.03 (CIN), a 0.72 differential is huge. Not as huge as the 1.66 differential in ERAs of Mulder vs HOU and Oswalt vs. STL, though. If we are to toss out the Mulder/Oswalt vs opponents stats, it would have to be for reasons other than "one offense was so much better than the other", because the gap between team production over the full season isn't big enough to explain it all.

DEFENSE

STL RA/G: 3.91

HOU RA/G: 3.74

STL RA/G - HOUS RA/G: (-0.17)

STL had an insignificant edge in staff ERA (3.49 to 3.51), but gave up a lot more unearned runs than the Stros, and therefore gave up more runs. In a short series, a good or bad defensive play here or there can make a big difference. Take last year's NLCS for example - if Edmonds doesn't make that great diving catch, Houston might have spared the Cards the embarrassment of getting swept in the Series. A more meaningful comparison might be giving extra weight to the guys projected to start twice in this series, and removing the 5th starters' numbers completely, but we're getting too close to first pitch for me to do those calcuations myself. At a glance, it looks like that adjustment favors HOU, as Marquis outperformed Rodriguez/Astacio during the season.

I think we're looking at a long series. The prospect of having to beat Pettitte/Oswalt/Clemens at least three times in six tries is a bit daunting, but there's a lot of playoff experience in the Cards' lineup. I think it's going to come down to middle relief usage and effectiveness. The Cards need to get early leads and make the Stros make some tough decisions in the 5th and 6th innings, like making Houston hit for a starter throwing a good game because they need offense wherever they can get it. Lidge will be a 2-inning guy whenever possible, so all the other bullpen decisions move up an inning.
I like that analysis, which supports the Cards in a longer series, as what I think is going to happen.My entire point just seemed to be ignored, that posting pitchers ERAs against the Cardinals is misleading, because...well, the Cardinals' offense is amazing, and Walter Johnson would struggle to keep his ERA under 4.00 against St. Louis.

Here's what I think too much stock is being put into: Houston has a better record than St. Louis since the 15-30 start. (this is in response to another poster, but it's relevant) St. Louis had the division won after 45 games. Houston was struggling every single game. Who do you think is going to put 100% into every game? St. Louis could pace themselves, and avoid significant injury, and wearing themselves out. Houston didn't have that option.

And did you mean to say I was a professional reporter or a professional reposter? I have been both in my lifetime. :)

Hmm, that last lead-in involved all Angels/White Sox players.

I think that tells us what the Media cares about: LA and Chicago. Screw St. Louis and Houston, who gives a crap about them!

Thank god a New York team didn't make it this far, otherwise it's be merciless.
Yet nobody notices that the last two years, it's been all NL-Central in the NLCS.Screw Atlanta, screw LA, screw SD.

It's all about the Astros and Cardinals.

Honestly, St. Louis is my second-favorite team, and will be rooting for them like crazy if they beat my beloved Astros (I'll probably even go to a WS game...in a *gasp* Cardinals' hat).

But, you guys are the enemy for the next week.

I think it is important to remember that while the Astros have Pettitte, whom they didn't have last year, they do not have Beltran or Kent. The Cards do not have Rolen, but do have Carpenter, Mulder and a great leadoff hitter this year. Womack was terrible in the playoffs last year. Eckstein has been good all year and has cranked it up in the playoffs. The Astros took the Cards to seven games last year with a better team than they have this year and as good as their pitching is this year, the Cards are playing better this postseason and are the better team. If they play their best, they will win. It really is that plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is important to remember that while the Astros have Pettitte, whom they didn't have last year, they do not have Beltran or Kent. The Cards do not have Rolen, but do have Carpenter, Mulder and a great leadoff hitter this year. Womack was terrible in the playoffs last year. Eckstein has been good all year and has cranked it up in the playoffs. The Astros took the Cards to seven games last year with a better team than they have this year and as good as their pitching is this year, the Cards are playing better this postseason and are the better team. If they play their best, they will win. It really is that plain and simple.
Houston doesn't have Bagwell, either.But, Ensberg is 10 times better than he was last year, and basically replaces Beltran in the lineup. (Ensberg 2005+Lane 2005 is about equal to Beltran 2004+Ensberg 2004).

So, we really lost a little at 2B, and a lot at 1B.

That, and we gained Pettite, who has the second-best ERA in the NL.

Does that make Houston equal to what they were last year? Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread