What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ben (1 Viewer)

jwvdcw

Footballguy
Ok, so I'm exaggerating a little. But I just watched him for the first time today. He only had about 200 yards and 2 TDs, but the numbers don't begin to explain how amazing he was. He only had 4 incomplete passes and the way he avoids pressure and throws with defenders all over him is insane. And he leads them to a game winning TD to boot.Obviously he could come back to earth and hes not proven...but simply based on what everyone has done so far, I can't see why its insane to at least MENTION him in the MVP race.Edit: grammar check

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first time watching him play.I am very....VERY impressed with Ben's play and poise in the pocket.He definitely is a top player out of all the players drafted early 1st rounds.Although I probably think Maddux will get his starter role back, because of the 'no starter loses his spot because of an injury', but I say Ben is an exception. Ben should be the starter regardless, but I see Maddux getting it back BUT he'll be on a very..VERY short leash!!As for ROY award, I like ROY better because I've been pimping ROY in my league ever since draft day. It will be a very close ROY award if Roy comes back strong from his injury and Ben keeps his playing like the way he does.

Big Ben is the biggest injection of energy I have seen since Tom Brady stepping in for Drew Bledsoe. Tommy is getting #### back. You go with the horse that got you there, and Big Ben has been that horse.

Nate Kaeding ROY
I really hope this is tongue-in-cheek. :P No way Maddox gets his job back, IMO. Why mess with things, the team believes in Roethlisberger, he's obviously the QB of the future, and he gives them the best chance to win games right now.To bench him because of the "No player loses his job due to injury" rule would be asinine.

P.S. If the Steelers somehow finish with the best record in the AFC, or at worst get a first-round bye, Roethlisberger should and will be in the MVP conversation.

This is my first time watching him play.I am very....VERY impressed with Ben's play and poise in the pocket.He definitely is a top player out of all the players drafted early 1st rounds.Although I probably think Maddux will get his starter role back, because of the 'no starter loses his spot because of an injury', but I say Ben is an exception. Ben should be the starter regardless, but I see Maddux getting it back BUT he'll be on a very..VERY short leash!!As for ROY award, I like ROY better because I've been pimping ROY in my league ever since draft day. It will be a very close ROY award if Roy comes back strong from his injury and Ben keeps his playing like the way he does.
No way does Maddox get the job back imo. You can lose a job to injury, especially when the future of the team was the guy behind you. People lose jobs to injuries(and never get them back when they get healthy) all the time. Its a myth that they don't.

Big Ben is the biggest injection of energy I have seen since Tom Brady stepping in for Drew Bledsoe. Tommy is getting #### back. You go with the horse that got you there, and Big Ben has been that horse.
A perfect example of losing your job to injury.

You got me there. True.Well, did Bledsoe even come back and play at starter?Or was he just benched because of Brady's hot hand?I dont' remember, so please refresh my memory.Don't get me wrong, I think they should stick with Ben.Tommy is ok, but Ben is getting it done. I feel Ben should stay the starter too, but I'm just stating what I THINK will happen.

You got me there. True.Well, did Bledsoe even come back and play at starter?Or was he just benched because of Brady's hot hand?I dont' remember, so please refresh my memory.Don't get me wrong, I think they should stick with Ben.Tommy is ok, but Ben is getting it done. I feel Ben should stay the starter too, but I'm just stating what I THINK will happen.
Bledsoe only played a series for the rest of the year, as far as I recall, after Brady got a little dinged up. He did throw a td pass in that series though.

Although I probably think Maddux will get his starter role back, because of the 'no starter loses his spot because of an injury', but I say Ben is an exception. Ben should be the starter regardless, but I see Maddux getting it back BUT he'll be on a very..VERY short leash!!
If you heard Cowher's press conference last week you would realize that isn't even a consideration right now. The job is Ben's.And while it's WAY too early to speculate about any post-season awards (why is Pro Bowl balloting already open?) Ben looks as valuable as anybody in the league right now.

P.S. If the Steelers somehow finish with the best record in the AFC, or at worst get a first-round bye, Roethlisberger should and will be in the MVP conversation.
um Daunte Culpepper.... Peyton Manning.... Donovan McNabb.... nuff said on the MVP stuff.

um Daunte Culpepper.... Peyton Manning.... Donovan McNabb.... nuff said on the MVP stuff.
Ummm...Ben has been as impressive as any of them. Culpepper is clearly feeding off of Moss- their backup could produce similar numbers, McNabb is clearly benefitting from TO. Manning..fair enough. Hes the leader right now, but lets not rule out Big Ben.

Artose Pinner is clearly the MVP front runner at this point. I mean, 7 carries for 6 yards, those are Barry Sanders type numbers.

Ummm...Ben has been as impressive as any of them. Culpepper is clearly feeding off of Moss- their backup could produce similar numbers, McNabb is clearly benefitting from TO. Manning..fair enough. Hes the leader right now, but lets not rule out Big Ben.
You can't rule out McNabb because he is benefitting from TO, only because Roth is obviously benfitting from Plax and Ward.You can't say C-Pepp is focusing on Moss. Culpepper is spreading the ball around wonderfully this year.I wouldn't rule out Ben, because it is so early in the year, but I would say it is a long shot. ROY? Yes. MVP? I don't think the NFL would let it happen, especially with McNabb and C-Pepp doing so well. If either of those two takes their team to the SuperBowl, I think you are looking at your MVP.

You can't rule out McNabb because he is benefitting from TO, only because Roth is obviously benfitting from Plax and Ward.You can't say C-Pepp is focusing on Moss. Culpepper is spreading the ball around wonderfully this year.I wouldn't rule out Ben, because it is so early in the year, but I would say it is a long shot. ROY? Yes. MVP? I don't think the NFL would let it happen, especially with McNabb and C-Pepp doing so well. If either of those two takes their team to the SuperBowl, I think you are looking at your MVP.
MVP is based on the regular season, so it doesn't matter who goes to the Super Bowl in terms of the MVP award. Big Ben is a longshot, but I'm not ruling him out yet - but I think the Steelers would at least need to win the division and get no worse than a #3 seed in the playoffs for that to happen.

Ben goes head to head with a couple of the prime MVP candidates in the next few weeks. If he comes up smelling like roses after butting heads with McNabb and Brady, he DESERVES serious MVP consideration. Of course, it's a pretty serious longshot at this point, and PIT should probably be a home dog in both games. The tough part of the schedule looms. It's both an opportunity to crash on the rocks and a golden chance to showcase himself, I suppose. With the serious blow the D apears to have taken today, if PIT comes through there 2-0, he should probably be considered for canonization.In about 3 weeks, we'll know where these guys stand in their respective races with a lot more clarity.

He's going to need to step up even more, because the defense more than likely just lost Chad Scott and Casey Hampton for a long time, if not the rest of the year.

A story already circulating in the Pittsburgh media (I heard it in the background while working, so some details may be sketchy):With the clock running down, the game on the line, and the Steelers at the goalline, the play comes in from the sidelines. It's noisy, and Ben's having trouble understanding. The team is out of TO's, and Ben is panicking. The team is huddled, and Ben develops a case of the stammers. Nobody is sure what's going on. Chaos reigns.Suddenly, Hines Ward shouts everybody calm and takes control. He calls a play from memory, based on the personnel sent in from the sidelines, pats Ben on the back, and says let's get it on. The team gets to the line, Bus smashes in for the TD. Crisis averted.Draw your own conclusions. I thought it was a pretty cool story. But goes to show the kid ain't quite Joe Montana pointing out John Candy in the stands just yet.

dude.... u CANT beserious with this... Fedding off of Moss?!?!LMFAO... um o.k.

all 3 of them are DWARFING Ben's stats litteraly when i see Ben toss up 400+ yards a game and 5 TD's with out any TO's while pushing his team to win after win each week then come see me. so this MVP talk is quite funny and histarical if u ask me. talk about jumping the gun a good Rookie of the year candidate he is but an MVP candidate he is not.

dude.... u CANT beserious with this... Feddign off of Moss?!?!LMFAO... um o.k.

all 3 of them are DWARFING Ben's stats. so this MVP talk is quite funny and histarical if u ask me. talk about jumping the gun a good Rookie of the year candidate he is but an MVP candidate he is not.
It all depends on who keeps winning games. As Vivian said - Roethlisberger will face off with McNabb and Brady in his next two games. If, by some miracle, he goes 2-0 in those games, he vaults right into the discussion, no matter whether you think he deserves it or not. At that point, he'd likely be the only undefeated QB left in the NFL....

right well.... um.... o.k. Ben is an MVP candidate then :rolleyes:
Nice post !!!!!If he maintains his current level of play and the Steelers knock off the Eagles and Patriots, he would be 6-0 as a starter with head-to-head wins over two of the primary MVP candidates, while ranking in the top 5 in the league in yards per attempt, completion percentage, and QB rating.If that's not enough to at least get him in consideration, by what criteria do you evaluate possible MVP candidates? Name recognition?

MVP and ROY are meaningless awards based on an opinion poll.I couldn't care less about them.

right well.... um.... o.k. Ben is an MVP candidate then :rolleyes:
Nice post !!!!!If he maintains his current level of play and the Steelers knock off the Eagles and Patriots, he would be 6-0 as a starter with head-to-head wins over two of the primary MVP candidates, while ranking in the top 5 in the league in yards per attempt, completion percentage, and QB rating.

If that's not enough to at least get him in consideration, by what criteria do you evaluate possible MVP candidates? Name recognition?
man look... i think u guys(your obviously a pitt fan) have a really good thing in Big Ben there.... hes a really good prospect for a QB and seems cool under pressure. he MAY have a shot at ROY.... remember that high flying WR from Detroit has a say in that as well.BUT

your trying to compare him to guys like Culpepper/Manning/McNabb WAY too quick in fact some in here are not just you.

all 3 of those other QB's have lights out teams, there all winning and throwing up phenominal stats that blow the rookie Ben Roethlisberger's stats out of the water..... litteraly.

Cpep carried his team AGAIN today passed for another 400 yards and 5 TD's he's allready thrown 5 TD's in 3 games THIS year alone.

Ben Roethlisberger has a long way to go imo. if it wasnt for a late Turn Over by Dallas today in the 4th then we wouldnt be saying Ben is undefeated... Pitts got outplayed today.

MVP??...5 weeks...18TD's and 1700+ passing yds :eek: ==> Daunte is putting up unbelievable #'s. Tonight with Moss out for a half!! (and I'm a Packer fan!)

all 3 of them are DWARFING Ben's stats litteraly when i see Ben toss up 400+ yards a game and 5 TD's with out any TO's while pushing his team to win after win each week then come see me. so this MVP talk is quite funny and histarical if u ask me. talk about jumping the gun a good Rookie of the year candidate he is but an MVP candidate he is not.
Yes Culpepper is feeding off of Moss. If Moss wasn't on the Vikings, Culpepper would barely be a top 10 fantasy QB. You're crazy if you don't think that Moss helps every WR on that team get no attention what so ever from the defense.

You are way too caught up in stats....a problem a lot of fantasy footballers have. Ben was 21 of 25 today. He didn't need to put up 400 yards to win. His team is mediocre at best without him. The Vikings are pretty much just as good without Pepper.

right well.... um.... o.k. Ben is an MVP candidate then  :rolleyes:
Nice post !!!!!If he maintains his current level of play and the Steelers knock off the Eagles and Patriots, he would be 6-0 as a starter with head-to-head wins over two of the primary MVP candidates, while ranking in the top 5 in the league in yards per attempt, completion percentage, and QB rating.

If that's not enough to at least get him in consideration, by what criteria do you evaluate possible MVP candidates? Name recognition?
man look... i think u guys(your obviously a pitt fan) have a really good thing in Big Ben there.... hes a really good prospect for a QB and seems cool under pressure. he MAY have a shot at ROY.... remember that high flying WR from Detroit has a say in that as well.BUT

your trying to compare him to guys like Culpepper/Manning/McNabb WAY too quick in fact some in here are not just you.

all 3 of those other QB's have lights out teams, there all winning and throwing up phenominal stats that blow the rookie Ben Roethlisberger's stats out of the water..... litteraly.

Cpep carried his team AGAIN today passed for another 400 yards and 5 TD's he's allready thrown 5 TD's in 3 games THIS year alone.

Ben Roethlisberger has a long way to go imo. if it wasnt for a late Turn Over by Dallas today in the 4th then we wouldnt be saying Ben is undefeated... Pitts got outplayed today.
you're = you arethey're = they are

Not 'your' and 'there.'

hell, I think Daunte Culpepper should lead his team to the playoffs without a complete monster choke job before we start throwing his name around MVP discussions. :mellow:

Culpepper is not the MVP of his own team...Moss is. Honestly, who do you think the Vikings would go without if they had to choose? Its not even close imo. How can you be the MVP of the league if you're not the MVP of your team?

Artose Pinner is clearly the MVP front runner at this point. I mean, 7 carries for 6 yards, those are Barry Sanders type numbers.
Quentin Griffin should win MVP because he can run like Barry Sanders, in my honest opinion.

Culpepper is not the MVP of his own team...Moss is. Honestly, who do you think the Vikings would go without if they had to choose? Its not even close imo. How can you be the MVP of the league if you're not the MVP of your team?
Ask Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds.

i'm sorry but most of this thread is a joke... jw if u really dont think Culpepper is a good QB and only is cause he feeds off Moss then revert your attention to what he did last game with 1/2 without him still rolling up #'s. its so funny that Culpepper doesnt get his "due" in a so called "shark" forum. now Culpepper is only good cause Moss and he swouldnt even be top 10 now if he didnt have him :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree. When Moss didn't get up after the play that he tweaked his hammy, it seemed like everybody from the Vikings sideline was there on the field checking on him. I was thinking Red Combs was going to run on the field.The Vikings know Moss is their MVP.

What body of water were Ben's stats floating in? :confused:

MVP favorites:Culpepper - QB with Statistical Domination and winsBrady - QB with Team Domination (particularly while streak remains intact...would be #1 if streak lasts all year)...Manning/McNabb - good teams good stats....Everyone elseIf MIN or NE start losing, or Culpepper cools down, they might change, but for now that's how I'd see it.ALSO: I think it's safe to say that Roethlisberger has done enough to win the job based on his performance compared to Maddox. Even so, the NFL is littered with guys who were injured and never got their starting jobs back. :2cents: :2cents:

Pittsburgh did not get outplayed today. The game was close statistically, the Cowboys couldn't shut the door. It was a tight game, but the Cowboys blinked first and the Steelers took advantage. Fact is, if Ben hadn't completed 84% of his throws, and played error-free ball, he wouldn't be undefeated. But he is, so enough of the what-ifs.I don't think he is going to be an MVP candidate either. What I had said was : if the Steelers finish with the best record in the AFC, he deserves to be in the conversation. I don't see why he wouldn't be, just because he's a rookie? If he's top 5 in QB rating and leads his team to a 12-4 record, why not? Kordell Stewart was in the top 5 in MVP voting a few years back when the Steelers won 13 games and his numbers were nowhere NEAR as good as Roethlisberger's have been.

It's all about winning. Ben is 4-0 as a starter. He is 4th in the NFL in QB rating. The Steelers were 6-10 last year. If they keep on winning, he will get some votes, I guarantee it.

Pittsburgh did not get outplayed today. The game was close statistically, the Cowboys couldn't shut the door. It was a tight game, but the Cowboys blinked first and the Steelers took advantage. Fact is, if Ben hadn't completed 84% of his throws, and played error-free ball, he wouldn't be undefeated. But he is, so enough of the what-ifs.I don't think he is going to be an MVP candidate either. What I had said was : if the Steelers finish with the best record in the AFC, he deserves to be in the conversation. I don't see why he wouldn't be, just because he's a rookie? If he's top 5 in QB rating and leads his team to a 12-4 record, why not? Kordell Stewart was in the top 5 in MVP voting a few years back when the Steelers won 13 games and his numbers were nowhere NEAR as good as Roethlisberger's have been.

It's all about winning. Ben is 4-0 as a starter. He is 4th in the NFL in QB rating. The Steelers were 6-10 last year. If they keep on winning, he will get some votes, I guarantee it.
I love the Steelers and Ben looks great -BUT- hold the MVP talk till the end of the season, or at least until after the New England and Philadelphia games.The Steelers 5-1 record is nice but they schedule from here on out gets tougher. If they manage to go 5-5 from here on out they'll finish 10-6 which should be good enough to get them in the playoffs.

That would make for a fine rebound from 2003, especially with a rookie QB and a very young secondary.

I think Ben is a great QB and Pittsburgh made a GREAT pick in the draft to get him, and I can't stand the Steelers.But LOL of Big Ben and MVP talk this year. Especially with Manning, McNabb, and Culpepper (in no particular order) having the seasons they are having right now.C'mon. :crazy:
McNabb and Culpepper may not even be the most valuable players on their own teams. Be that as it may, at this point, both of them, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning are likely the top 4 candidates for MVP.Beyond them, Roethlisberger is moving into that next tier in a hurry. If he continues to improve, and the Steelers continue to win, he will be a candidate. I dont think he'll win it, but he may get some votes. That's all I am saying.

1. Culpepper2. MAnning3. MartinColin
4. Brady5. McNabb6. Moss7. Owens8. Roethlisberger9. Barber10. _________________Someone from the Broncos, but who ?? :D Is this insane to have Ben in the top 10? Am I just being a super-homer here? I am looking for guys who have made big contributions to winning teams, I really don't think it's off base, considering he's 4-0 and 4th in the NFL in QB rating. Staley would have to get some love as well, but Ben has done more to win games for this team thus far than has Staley.

1. Culpepper2. MAnning3. MartinColin
If the Pats go 16 and 0 - I think there will be a huge campaign by the much of the media to get Brady the MVP - even if Culpepper throws for over 50 TDs and Brady throws for less than 25 TDs.

Users who are viewing this thread