What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (1 Viewer)

Finless said:
(HULK) said:
I haven't smoked since March until this past Friday.I had one cigarette just to see if I could have just one and walk away.I did.I'm not sure why I like tempting myself like that, it was such a struggle to quit in the first place. But I sucessfully smoked 1 and only 1 cigarette, so at least I didn't fall back into it.
Be careful man. about 4 years ago I just quit. I was leaving the gym and only had 2 cigarettes left and was to beat to stop for more. I smoked one and a half and snuffed the last half end decided I wasn't going to smoke anymore after 13 years of non-stop smoking. The next morning came and surprisingly enough, I went through the day without a cigarette. This continued and without effort, months passed without having a cigarette. I was amazed at how easy it was. Those months turned into almost 2 years. Then one day I decided to have one. I only smoked half of it and pitched it. Then I was at a final table in a live poker tournament and I was a bit wound up and decided to have another. a couple months after that and I was buying again. I would only have 1 after work and leave them in my car. Within a month or so I was smoking again. Worst decision I ever made. I truly felt blessed as I had heard the nightmare stories of quitting. My quitting was seriously effortless. Fast forward to today. I smoke nearly a pack a day now and hate it. I feel like I can't get in that frame of mind I did when I just decided to not smoke anymore. Many of my closest friends have quit over the last 3 months while I puff away. I hate it.I am going to read this whole thread and try and snatch some inspiration. Smoking is disgusting.
Good luck man.Check out Chantix, it was what made it so effortless to stop in March.I've quit before and fallen back in before. As I said, I'm not sure why I wanted to tempt fate, other than I'm an idiot.

YOU ARE ALL NICOTINE ADDICTS. YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE. CAN A HEROIN ADDICT SHOOT UP ONCE AFTER YEARS OF SOBRIETY? NO. AN ALCOHOLIC JUST HAVE ONE DRINK? NO. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ADDICTED TO NICOTINE. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A SMOKER EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T SMOKE. BEST ADVICE MY FRIEND GAVE ME WHO IS A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC AND HEROIN ADDICT SAID ABOUT CIGARETTE QUITTING: "JUST DON'T SMOKE".

Prescription is in hand, I'm going in with the Chantix Aug. 6. I'm a little nervous; I've been a smoker for almost 20 years with three failed attempts to quit already behind me. There are a lot of reasons already mentioned for quitting -- but I'm still not sure that they will supersede the biggest obstacle -- I like to smoke.

Prescription is in hand, I'm going in with the Chantix Aug. 6. I'm a little nervous; I've been a smoker for almost 20 years with three failed attempts to quit already behind me. There are a lot of reasons already mentioned for quitting -- but I'm still not sure that they will supersede the biggest obstacle -- I like to smoke.
Good luck. :goodposting:

Going on 5 months. I smell cig smoke sometimes and I like it; I wouldn't temp myself with one cig, I know I'd be right back to smoking full-time.

A little over 3 months for me. I've cheated a few times, and while I still have the desire to smoke/dip, my desire to be addiction-free is stronger.

Going on 5 months. I smell cig smoke sometimes and I like it; I wouldn't temp myself with one cig, I know I'd be right back to smoking full-time.
little over 6 years for me and every once in a while i'll still catch a whiff of a smoke and it smells sweet and delicious:ptts:

little over 6 years for me and every once in a while i'll still catch a whiff of a smoke and it smells sweet and delicious:ptts:
:ptts: 4 and a half years since my last cig and I have no doubt in my mind if i caved and smoked one I'd start up again.

I'm going this route as well. Found out that my employer will pay for the Chantrix which makes it an even easier decision. I'm going out of town in a couple of weeks, so I haven't set a date yet, but it will be sometime in August.

YOU ARE ALL NICOTINE ADDICTS. YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE. CAN A HEROIN ADDICT SHOOT UP ONCE AFTER YEARS OF SOBRIETY? NO. AN ALCOHOLIC JUST HAVE ONE DRINK? NO. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ADDICTED TO NICOTINE. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A SMOKER EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T SMOKE. BEST ADVICE MY FRIEND GAVE ME WHO IS A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC AND HEROIN ADDICT SAID ABOUT CIGARETTE QUITTING: "JUST DON'T SMOKE".
This guy got me to the place where I have had the best results in my life....he speaks the truth.IT ONLY TAKES 72 HOURS TO QUIT

Read my posts since 9/28/06 or PM me to find out how.

www.whyquit.com

You don't need the patch

You don't need Chantrix or whatever new drug they are putting out there this month

You only need

1. To be educated about how nic addiction works (which is what whyquit.com gave me without even signing up)

2. Have the desire & commitment to really quit for good

3. 3 days to get nicotine out of your system

4. Continue to not smoke after that.

JUST QUIT SMOKING!

I think I might be trying to do too much at once.

Ive decided to

Quit smoking

Eat better

Drink less

go to the dentist

Im 33. been smoking at least a pack a day since I was 11 or 12. Yeaterday I just said #### it, im not smoking anymore. no drugs, or books, just willpower.

I just cleared my 24 hour mark.

well see. Odds are 50/50 I purposly kill someone today

Just passes 48 hours. I expected a little attaboys from this group :rant:
Attaboy.Today will suck. Today will be the worst day out of this whole thing.Suck it up and make it through today and its easier every day hence.

little over 6 years for me and every once in a while i'll still catch a whiff of a smoke and it smells sweet and delicious:lmao:
:goodposting: 4 and a half years since my last cig and I have no doubt in my mind if i caved and smoked one I'd start up again.
Little over a year and a half here. For some reason, when I catch a whiff when I walk by someone who is smoking, it smells wonderful. But then, if someone walks by who smells like smoke, it makes me want to heave.

congrats KGB. They say the worst during the quit comes in threes. Day 3 (physical cravings), week 3 (I would imagine you miss it), month 3 (you think you can have just one) and year 3 (you forget that you got addicted and why you quit in the first place)

thats what i like to see ATTABOY! :shrug: Its not so bad except when you usually like to have one, like

When you get up

pooping

getting into the car

getting out of the car

every hour on the hour during work.

leaving for lunch

getting back from lunch

one more after lunch before starting work

driving home

during teh gears

etc

Midnight = 10 months for me!!!

9100 death sticks not smoked since 9/28

$1800+ not spent on killing myself

AND IT ONLY TOOK 72 HOURS & A MENTAL COMMITMENT!!!

Id like to kill myself and some others.

Still havnt smoked yet.

all these years people asked me to quit, why dont you, etc. Ive never wanted to.

Now I just decided to for no apparent reason. I think I might just be challenging myself for no apparent reason.

But everytime i want to smoke, i just tell myself what a ##### i would be for starting back up, or even having just one. I know if I had even 1 right now I would start back up.

I havnt gone over 24 hours without smoking since i was 11 or 12. I just turned 33.

KGB -

Free and Healing for Fourteen Days, 7 Hours and 36 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 9 Hours, by avoiding the use of 401 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $90.29.

BAM.

wasnt as hard as I thought

Today marks 1 month for me. I have some pretty severe cravings during stressful periods at work. I really wanted one today but the person I would have had one with wasn't available (lucky for me). I at times really miss having a smoke here and there but I know that I can't have one or I would be right back at it.

KGB -

Free and Healing for Fourteen Days, 7 Hours and 36 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 9 Hours, by avoiding the use of 401 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $90.29.

BAM.

that sounds a lot like the counter you get from whyquit.com. Great job! It's all mental now.

Quit the beginning of March this year. Saved about $1000 so far :pickle:

I'm glad I did this before my daughter is born. I would never smoke around her, but I'm just glad I battled this before having kids rather than trying to quit while dealing with a new born.

KGB -

BAM.

that sounds a lot like the counter you get from whyquit.com. Great job! It's all mental now.
it is. I got it fro there.its what it spits out when you tell it ot paste to clipboard.

and good job CEO. I spent about $220-$240 a month, so I should be up to a grand in no time

OK, starting today. Timed it so most of the first 3 days would be done at home, not subject to the stresses of work. Have completed the first week on Chantix, ramping up to the full dosage tomorrow. Wish me luck.

OK, starting today. Timed it so most of the first 3 days would be done at home, not subject to the stresses of work. Have completed the first week on Chantix, ramping up to the full dosage tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Good luck, hometown.I quit on 08-06-07 after 30 years of it (with a 2 year break about 10 years ago). Of course, I didn't have much choice since I got hospitalized with a TIA (mini-stroke) & they stuck me in the Cardiac wing for two days (no cig walks from there, let me tell ya). They stuck a patch on me & told me that if I didn't quit that there was a damned good chance I'd have more TIAs or full-blown strokes (smokers are twice as likely). I'm 45, not in bad shape, my cholesterol is perfect, so is my BP, my heart & lungs (believe it or not) are in good shape - and still I'm working on a stroke. No lasting damage, thank goodness.I'm using 21mg patches & am doing fine. I'm going to try easing back to 14mg this weekend, with every intention of going back to the high-test patch if I start jonesing. I haven't been to a bar, had any alcohol, or any caffeine since 8-06 so am aware that I'm delaying some inevitable rough spots down the road. I don't think any of those triggers would make me rip off my patch & light up, but I don't feel like dealing with the cravings they may bring right now while I'm dealing with this stroke crap.

pgreenfan said:
roadkill1292 said:
Good Luck Roadkill...
:wall: Thanks muchly.
Uruk-Hai said:
Good luck, hometown.I quit on 08-06-07 after 30 years of it (with a 2 year break about 10 years ago). Of course, I didn't have much choice since I got hospitalized with a TIA (mini-stroke) & they stuck me in the Cardiac wing for two days (no cig walks from there, let me tell ya). They stuck a patch on me & told me that if I didn't quit that there was a damned good chance I'd have more TIAs or full-blown strokes (smokers are twice as likely). I'm 45, not in bad shape, my cholesterol is perfect, so is my BP, my heart & lungs (believe it or not) are in good shape - and still I'm working on a stroke. No lasting damage, thank goodness.I'm using 21mg patches & am doing fine. I'm going to try easing back to 14mg this weekend, with every intention of going back to the high-test patch if I start jonesing. I haven't been to a bar, had any alcohol, or any caffeine since 8-06 so am aware that I'm delaying some inevitable rough spots down the road. I don't think any of those triggers would make me rip off my patch & light up, but I don't feel like dealing with the cravings they may bring right now while I'm dealing with this stroke crap.
Thanks, neighbor. It's funny, I just completed a pretty thorough physical and came in with surprisingly good marks, too. I'm sorry you got hit like that, lucky that it didn't happen to me. But if we get through this, at least we won't be slaves to those damned things anymore.

well, im almost at a month. ive smoked a few cigars and no biggie for me but i guess everyone is different.

Ill be heading to vegas in about 3 weeks. I know i will smoke there and am looking forward to it. hopefully I wont start back up. Ive never tried to quit before so well see.

KGB said:
well, im almost at a month. ive smoked a few cigars and no biggie for me but i guess everyone is different.Ill be heading to vegas in about 3 weeks. I know i will smoke there and am looking forward to it. hopefully I wont start back up. Ive never tried to quit before so well see.
Prove me wrong, please; But you will start back if 1. you are really addicted to nicotine and 2. that is going to be your justification. I'm only speaking from my own experience with quitting...not judging.

pgreenfan said:
Is an occasional cigar allowed?
Not if you are/were addicted to nicotine. For me, one cigar equals me buying cigs again instantly. Happened on one of my trys 3 years ago.
:excited:
I almost went for a cigar last night and decided against it. I sadly don't think I could smoke a cigar without then saying I can have an occasional cigarette and that would go downhill fast.
Nice job pgreenfan. :rant:

pgreenfan said:
Is an occasional cigar allowed?
Not if you are/were addicted to nicotine. For me, one cigar equals me buying cigs again instantly. Happened on one of my trys 3 years ago.
:excited:
I almost went for a cigar last night and decided against it. I sadly don't think I could smoke a cigar without then saying I can have an occasional cigarette and that would go downhill fast.
Judging by your avatar you have a small one at home. Smoking is so dumb if you have kids. Congrats on making the right move.

Congrats to all who have quit.

It's now been about a year for me. I don't remember exactly when my last smoke was, but I know it was in August of '06.

I slipped up once. I got black-out drunk on St. Patrick's Day, and I'm told that I bummed a cigarette, took two hauls, then discarded it, and then cursed myself out for doing that for the rest of the night. So I don't count that.

At the 72 hour mark now. As expected, this morning at work, with all the affiliated habit triggers, has been the most rigorous test. I've snapped at a couple of people who didn't really deserve it and I may yet head over to the Pool today and pick a fight about Willis McGahee. Except for figuring out how to fill the time usually reserved for smoking at home this past weekend, I was able to pretty much cruise through the weekend. Some old habits die hard. Eat. Smoke. Repeat.

The Chantix appears to be helping. But when do the knots in my shoulder and neck muscles start to relax?

One week now. Slowly starting to relax and lose the habits/triggers. I wonder if the Chantix is really that good or if there's a placebo effect in place; you know, you want it to work so you tell yourself that it's working. And maybe the fairly hefty price tag is a pretty good incentive as well; I'm a pretty cheap guy and would hate to throw the prescription money down the toilet, which I would be doing if I smoked again.

Big test Sunday at my ff auction. Lots of beer there. Fortunately, at last count, however, I was the only remaining smoker.

Users who are viewing this thread