What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (2 Viewers)

Ha...I even forgot my anniversary date this past weekend. Speaking of...I was tailgating at LSU for the majority of the day and was fairly drunk and surrounded by people lighting up. It did cross my mind...but only in the "I would probably be smoking today if that crap didn't smell so bad" kind of way.Two Years, Three Days, 1 Hour and 21 Minutes22022 cigarettes not smoked$5,107.41 savedNo Chantix either. Just 72 hours and a firm commitment to myself.
Nice! 2 years, 2 mo., 13 days for BSR.
Did BSR ever get the promised reward?

:rolleyes: Mr. krista4 gave it up as of yesterday. Lots of good info in here that I'll share with him.
I've already failed to smoke 46 cigs. 46! The hell! That is a lot of not smoking I've been doing!I've only had a few moments where I've wished violence on people who otherwise don't deserve it. This bs about "triggers" is nonsense. There is literally no aspect of my life that I don't associate with smoking. Waking up is a trigger. Breathing is a trigger. Walking the dog is a damn trigger. Consciousness is a trigger. F' a trigger. I ain't smoking no more. This thread is quite helpful, as is Mrs. Humanzee. Mr. Tipsy, I've read every single one of your posts in this thread. Very pleased that things have worked out so well for you. I hope my quit is more successful than your first dozen or so.

:goodposting: Mr. krista4 gave it up as of yesterday. Lots of good info in here that I'll share with him.
I've already failed to smoke 46 cigs. 46! The hell! That is a lot of not smoking I've been doing!I've only had a few moments where I've wished violence on people who otherwise don't deserve it. This bs about "triggers" is nonsense. There is literally no aspect of my life that I don't associate with smoking. Waking up is a trigger. Breathing is a trigger. Walking the dog is a damn trigger. Consciousness is a trigger. F' a trigger. I ain't smoking no more. This thread is quite helpful, as is Mrs. Humanzee. Mr. Tipsy, I've read every single one of your posts in this thread. Very pleased that things have worked out so well for you. I hope my quit is more successful than your first dozen or so.
:lmao: It did take me many tries.....until I finally gave up and admitted I was stronger than the disease and wouldn't let it control me anymore. Good luck with your quit and remember it only really takes 72 hours.

Quitting today. I smoked my last one after breakfast this morning and that's it, I'm done.

Cigarettes are $7.00 a pack now, and I'm tired of being out of shape and winded when playing with my kids.

Quitting today. I smoked my last one after breakfast this morning and that's it, I'm done.Cigarettes are $7.00 a pack now, and I'm tired of being out of shape and winded when playing with my kids.
no cigs since 12/18/08 here....GL man...

Ha...I even forgot my anniversary date this past weekend.
I stopped and re-started so many times over the course of a year that I have no idea when my last smoke was. Eventally it just stuck and I can't remember when that was. I think I have it narrowed down to somethine in April of 2006It took me another year to get off the sunflower seeds, and I'm still hooked on the Halls cough drops.

Congratulations to alot of strong people in here.

I've had about 7 failed attempts to quit dipping over the past 8 months or so. I keep running into 3 big problems.

1- The initial first 3 days to a week without it isn't as difficult as I imagined it would be before I tried. I keep getting to about a week and think I can have another dip and just "re-quit". As awful as the 1st few days can be, the motivation is fresh during those days and it feels good to feel like your winning. The problems, for me, begin when the pain goes away and the motivation isn't as fresh, if that makes sense.

2- The other problem is that I just really, really love to dip. I know it's the addiction talking, but the thought of letting go of the dip feels like I'm losing a long-time friend. The dip was always the first to celebrate the good times with me and would never judge. Other than the fact that tobacco is trying to kill me, it feels like a good dog. I know that is completely irrational and must sound ridiculous.

3- I can't stay "regular" without the nicotine at first. The constipation might be worse of all the withdrawal symptoms, for me.

Anyway, I know it's tough, so congrats to you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to alot of strong people in here. I've had about 7 failed attempts to quit dipping over the past 8 months or so. I keep running into 3 big problems.1- The initial first 3 days to a week without it isn't as difficult as I imagined it would be before I tried. I keep getting to about a week and think I can have another dip and just "re-quit". As awful as the 1st few days can be, the motivation is fresh during those days and it feels good to feel like your winning. The problems, for me, begin when the pain goes away and the motivation isn't as fresh, if that makes sense.2- The other problem is that I just really, really love to dip. I know it's the addiction talking, but the thought of letting go of the dip feels like I'm losing a long-time friend. The dip was always the first to celebrate the good times with me and would never judge. Other than the fact that tobacco is trying to kill me, it feels like a good dog. I know that is completely irrational and must sound ridiculous.3- I can't stay "regular" without the nicotine at first. The constipation might be worse of all the withdrawal symptoms, for me.Anyway, I know it's tough, so congrats to you guys.
Those are the big 3 reasons I've had difficulty also. Going to try to quit again here in a week or so.

:popcorn: Mr. krista4 gave it up as of yesterday. Lots of good info in here that I'll share with him.
:) It did take me many tries.....until I finally gave up and admitted I was stronger than the disease and wouldn't let it control me anymore. Good luck with your quit and remember it only really takes 72 hours.
He will hit one week tomorrow! :thumbup:

Quitting today. I smoked my last one after breakfast this morning and that's it, I'm done.Cigarettes are $7.00 a pack now, and I'm tired of being out of shape and winded when playing with my kids.
Almost $10 a pack here. :popcorn: Mr. krista4's savings are mounting quickly.

Been 6 months. Started out as just quitting for January - started realizing that I wasn't smoking because I wanted to, but rather because I was a slave to the little f'ers. Was gonna quit for a month to 'prove something' to myself. Friend talked me into reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". Haven't looked back since.

6 days. 125 unsmoked cigarettes. $54 earned. On day 4 I went to a show here in Chicago at a DIY space. 12 bands, beer, bunch of friends. Seemed like everybody there smoked. I didn't. Was rewarded with an awesome performance by The Bitter Tears.

Poker last night. Again, much smoking going on. Nearly lit up when my pocket kings got smoked by some mouthbreather check-calling every street with Q3. Poker gods reward my discipline by giving everybody else second-best hands for the rest of the night. Made 5 buy-ins in 7 hours. Curious as to what is going to happen when I don't run like a god.

One week tomorrow. I don't care. I only have to stay smoke-free today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

3 months here...i still occasionally have a cigarette in my dreams though, and it really bugs me...anyone else smoke in their dreams?

Congratulations to alot of strong people in here.

I've had about 7 failed attempts to quit dipping over the past 8 months or so. I keep running into 3 big problems.

1- The initial first 3 days to a week without it isn't as difficult as I imagined it would be before I tried. I keep getting to about a week and think I can have another dip and just "re-quit". As awful as the 1st few days can be, the motivation is fresh during those days and it feels good to feel like your winning. The problems, for me, begin when the pain goes away and the motivation isn't as fresh, if that makes sense.

2- The other problem is that I just really, really love to dip. I know it's the addiction talking, but the thought of letting go of the dip feels like I'm losing a long-time friend. The dip was always the first to celebrate the good times with me and would never judge. Other than the fact that tobacco is trying to kill me, it feels like a good dog. I know that is completely irrational and must sound ridiculous.

3- I can't stay "regular" without the nicotine at first. The constipation might be worse of all the withdrawal symptoms, for me.

Anyway, I know it's tough, so congrats to you guys.
I felt the same way about smoking being kind of like an old friend who has been with you through all the tough times. This article helped me put some things about smoking in perspective.Smoking my friend?

3 months here...i still occasionally have a cigarette in my dreams though, and it really bugs me...anyone else smoke in their dreams?
I do sometimes. I wake up all pissed at myself for slipping up after so long, until I realize that it was just a dream. ;)
I used to have the dreams before this round of quitting. Not this time however. :shrug:
I had a dream the other night where, in a nic fit of unbearable proportions, I scraped off the fleshy white part of the inside of a banana peel in to a stone mortar and ground it up with pine nuts and charcoal. I spread the mixture on a cookie sheet and baked it in the oven. It baked into a dry, greenish brownie-like thing. I then crumbled all of that stuff up, rolled some up in weird matrix of mint leaves, and smoked them until my aunt came in and taught me how to properly tie a bow tie.Could have just been the patch talking.

100 days tomorrow. Not a cheat. Lost weight during the whole thing. Exercising really knocked me out of my habit and into another.

I smoked my last cigarette on Monday July 13th at 11pm. Been almost 4 days without a cheat (cold turkey). I feel like I've got this in the bag.

The first 24 hours were insane. For me that was the toughest hurdle - the 24 hour mark. Once I got past that it began to get easier. The cravings still come frequently, but pass after 10 minutes or so. I'm definitely gonna have to start eating more healthy, as I've replaced smoking with more snacking.

So far so good though.

I smoked my last cigarette on Monday July 13th at 11pm. Been almost 4 days without a cheat (cold turkey). I feel like I've got this in the bag. The first 24 hours were insane. For me that was the toughest hurdle - the 24 hour mark. Once I got past that it began to get easier. The cravings still come frequently, but pass after 10 minutes or so. I'm definitely gonna have to start eating more healthy, as I've replaced smoking with more snacking. So far so good though.
Good job, best of luck to you... :thumbup: Quit chewing Cope on Dec. 24th, used the patch for 2 days then cold turkey, no cheats since. I don't miss it at all

I smoked my last cigarette on Monday July 13th at 11pm. Been almost 4 days without a cheat (cold turkey). I feel like I've got this in the bag. The first 24 hours were insane. For me that was the toughest hurdle - the 24 hour mark. Once I got past that it began to get easier. The cravings still come frequently, but pass after 10 minutes or so. I'm definitely gonna have to start eating more healthy, as I've replaced smoking with more snacking. So far so good though.
Good job, best of luck to you... :thumbup: Quit chewing Cope on Dec. 24th, used the patch for 2 days then cold turkey, no cheats since. I don't miss it at all
My last dip was Tuesday afternoon.I've had 2 week stretches before that turned into failed attempts, so I know the biggest hurdles, for me, still lie ahead.Best of luck to you, Wingnut.

My last dip was Tuesday afternoon.I've had 2 week stretches before that turned into failed attempts, so I know the biggest hurdles, for me, still lie ahead.Best of luck to you, Wingnut.
You have to want to quit, I didn't want my son seeing me using tobacco, he would ask me about it and that was when I said "done and done". Hang in there and GL

Quit May 5th of this year, after smoking a pack a day for 18 years. Started with about 10 pieces of the 4mg Nicotine Gum a day. Down to 2 of the 2mg now. I plan on keeping them around as a safety net, just to be safe. I'd rather chew a piece of gum, after a night of drinking, than slip up and smoke a cig. Can't believe how much better I feel already!

Quit May 5th of this year, after smoking a pack a day for 18 years. Started with about 10 pieces of the 4mg Nicotine Gum a day. Down to 2 of the 2mg now. I plan on keeping them around as a safety net, just to be safe. I'd rather chew a piece of gum, after a night of drinking, than slip up and smoke a cig. Can't believe how much better I feel already!
:thumbsup:I've been smoke free for 18.5 months after smoking 2-3 packs a day for 14 years. You just have to be stubborn and have to want to quit. That being said, if I'm ever diagnosed with an incurable disease, I wouldn't want to be between me and a pack of Marlboro Menthol Lights.

5 days at 11pm Saturday. I cheated an hour later by taking a couple of drags after about 8 beers....its all good though, Im in control, just wanted to see if I was really over them (yeah, I know, whatever helps me sleep at night, right?).

I am over them. The 2 drags did nothing and reassured me that I dont want or need them anymore. I wont be "cheating" anymore...no, really.

I read an old AAers secret to not drinking was.......don't drink. don't smoke. it's that easy.

5 days at 11pm Saturday. I cheated an hour later by taking a couple of drags after about 8 beers....its all good though, Im in control, just wanted to see if I was really over them (yeah, I know, whatever helps me sleep at night, right?).I am over them. The 2 drags did nothing and reassured me that I dont want or need them anymore. I wont be "cheating" anymore...no, really.
GL GB

I quit on the 23rd of this month, cold turkey mostly and I am still going pretty strong. By saying cold turkey mostly, my wife and I had a plan that we would smoke what we have left and when we ran out, that was it-we would be done right then. So, my last cigarette was Monday afternoon, outside my office and I threw away the empty pack and gave my lighter to my boss and over.Of course, my wife being freshly pregnant is a huge thought for us and the reason we are quitting. My desire for a good healthy child are going to kick the crap out of the desire for a cigarette.
2 1/2 years later and still have not had a cigarette since that day. My wife has gone back, which makes for some rougher days then others, but I use anger to keep me away from smoking.Good luck to those about to start and keep it up to those who are staying away.

The Big Guy said:
I quit on the 23rd of this month, cold turkey mostly and I am still going pretty strong. By saying cold turkey mostly, my wife and I had a plan that we would smoke what we have left and when we ran out, that was it-we would be done right then. So, my last cigarette was Monday afternoon, outside my office and I threw away the empty pack and gave my lighter to my boss and over.Of course, my wife being freshly pregnant is a huge thought for us and the reason we are quitting. My desire for a good healthy child are going to kick the crap out of the desire for a cigarette.
2 1/2 years later and still have not had a cigarette since that day. My wife has gone back, which makes for some rougher days then others, but I use anger to keep me away from smoking.Good luck to those about to start and keep it up to those who are staying away.
Congrats.

As of this last Sunday, July 19th (BSR's birthday), would be the 3 year mark for BSR's quitting smoking. He loves it.

The Big Guy said:
I quit on the 23rd of this month, cold turkey mostly and I am still going pretty strong. By saying cold turkey mostly, my wife and I had a plan that we would smoke what we have left and when we ran out, that was it-we would be done right then. So, my last cigarette was Monday afternoon, outside my office and I threw away the empty pack and gave my lighter to my boss and over.

Of course, my wife being freshly pregnant is a huge thought for us and the reason we are quitting. My desire for a good healthy child are going to kick the crap out of the desire for a cigarette.
I think I would get REALLY pissed at my spouse if she were smoking and we had kids.

I quit almost a month ago but last night was the acid test. Although I'd been to a couple of bars it hadn't been for more than a few beers. Last night my company took 10 of us to an Oktoberfest event with unlimited strong german beer from 6pm to 10:30pm. Needless-to-say I got completely hammered, put away 5 steins (this size - http://bit.ly/12vYhz) but despite being with a few smokers and having moments of craving, I managed to get through the whole night without so much as a single puff.

Does that mean I'm "cured"?

I'm on Day 25 - not a single butt.

Not easy - I miss my skinny little white friends.

Drinking is not the same - have no urge.

Bored

3 weeks since I quite - though I smoked one this past weekend (what can i say? my parents were in town). Other than that - 3 weeks.

A combination of Chantix and Red Hots has worked for me. :shrug:

I quit almost a month ago but last night was the acid test. Although I'd been to a couple of bars it hadn't been for more than a few beers. Last night my company took 10 of us to an Oktoberfest event with unlimited strong german beer from 6pm to 10:30pm. Needless-to-say I got completely hammered, put away 5 steins (this size - http://bit.ly/12vYhz) but despite being with a few smokers and having moments of craving, I managed to get through the whole night without so much as a single puff.

Does that mean I'm "cured"?
No. You will always be a smoker. Now you are a recovering smoker who chooses not to smoke.

I went cold turkey 8/22/09. My old mans birthday.

I miss that old dude!

I haven't killed anyone or gained any weight!

WIN WIN

Users who are viewing this thread