What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (2 Viewers)

I'm on day 16. I've had a total of one cigarette (back on day 6) and a couple of drags from another (on day 10). Otherwise, nothing.
Smoo...i support your quitting and hope you continue to do well. I personally cannot have one puff. The info i've been reading since January has all been true. One cig = one step to being a full fledged smoker again for me. I've always slipped back into smoking after I have had a smoke/drag/puff whatever. This time, i am giving myself a no tolerance limit. One strike...buy a pack...smoke all 20 as fast as possible...go through the 72 hours of hell again.I don't really want to go through this pain again, so i'm not having any right now. Lets hope my weak mind will allow that. :hot:

Keep up the good work brother :thumbup:
Good luck tipsy. I support you 100%. Now if you could just put a good word in for BSR. :(

Tipsy -I've never been a smoker... save maybe a total of 1-2 months during the 8th grade.That being said, what I can tell you is this. Every time you think of smoking, think of your son lying in a hospital bed gasping for every precious breath, hooked up to tubes to help him breathe. Picture it until you get a tear in your eye.This is what happened to me. Both my parents smoked. I was a 3 pack a day second hand smoker. I developed SEVERE athsma at age 4. Made at least 6-7 trips to the hospital as described above over the next 10 years, not to mention countless nights sitting on the edge of the bathtub trying hoplessly to breathe. My parents were too selfish/stubborn/weak to quit. One such night, my mom tried to comfort me by asking "Is there anything I can do?". My response, as a 14 year old, was "Quit ####### smoking!" Yes, I used the F word.As it turned out, my parents didn't quit at the time, but they did stop smoking in the house & car (basically anywhere around me). They have since quit, thank God. Once I was no longer exposed, my athsma slowly started to get better. Today, I am completely athsma free.I'm being blunt because I think it's what you need to hear. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your son. I care for ya, Bro... keep up the fight... you can do it. :thumbup:

Tipsy -

I've never been a smoker... save maybe a total of 1-2 months during the 8th grade.

That being said, what I can tell you is this. Every time you think of smoking, think of your son lying in a hospital bed gasping for every precious breath, hooked up to tubes to help him breathe. Picture it until you get a tear in your eye.

This is what happened to me. Both my parents smoked. I was a 3 pack a day second hand smoker. I developed SEVERE athsma at age 4. Made at least 6-7 trips to the hospital as described above over the next 10 years, not to mention countless nights sitting on the edge of the bathtub trying hoplessly to breathe. My parents were too selfish/stubborn/weak to quit. One such night, my mom tried to comfort me by asking "Is there anything I can do?". My response, as a 14 year old, was "Quit ####### smoking!" Yes, I used the F word.

As it turned out, my parents didn't quit at the time, but they did stop smoking in the house & car (basically anywhere around me). They have since quit, thank God. Once I was no longer exposed, my athsma slowly started to get better. Today, I am completely athsma free.

I'm being blunt because I think it's what you need to hear. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your son. I care for ya, Bro... keep up the fight... you can do it. :thumbup:
I haven't smoked in my childs presence once. Not in the house, not in the car, not even outside with him nearby. I knew when he was concieved that I didn't want him anywhere near the nasty MF'rs. In the month he has been alive, I have been "trying to quit" (trying = continually failing to quit) and not wanted him to associate the smell of those things with his dad.I have proved time and again that I cannont quit for myself. I am not smoking at this minute because I don't want my kid to have a parent that is slowly killing himself. I am also not smoking right now because if i continue too, my wife (with athsma) will start again. I should do it for me, but I obviously hate myself. I am doing this for my wife & my son. They deserve better.

Btw: Thanks Keerock. Unfortunately, this means i will not be placing in the money in the fat farm contest. But quite frankly, this is much more important to me. My goal is to not gain anymore weight at this point...something i will consider a miracle if i do indeed stay off the smokes.

Hour 61 just passed. :cry:

Mrs BSR...i will not try to convince your hubby until I have been 100% smoke free for a month. We tried that before...obviously i should have stayed focused on me. :angry:

Mrs BSR...i will not try to convince your hubby until I have been 100% smoke free for a month. We tried that before...obviously i should have stayed focused on me. :angry:
I understand. :cry:

My apologies if these have been mentioned in the thread already - I didn't run back through the first 8 pages. Withdrawal is a very real and very difficult process. There are things that can help - patches, gum, etc. And by help, I mean double your chances of quitting successfully. Therapy helps, too. No, not psychoanalytical counseling, but a professinal to provide you with some alternatives and who deals with this type of thing on a regular basis. Either one will double your chances of quitting successfully. Both together help even more. Good luck to you and anyone else trying to end this most difficult addiction to break.

:thumbup: Keep up the good fight Tipsy! My GF smokes about 3/4 pack a day and I've been fighting with her to quit for a while now. Hopefully, when she's ready, I can point her to this thread. FYI we will be down in Nola on 9/24 and will probably be stopping in your place for dinner ;)

] :thumbup:

Keep up the good fight Tipsy! My GF smokes about 3/4 pack a day and I've been fighting with her to quit for a while now. Hopefully, when she's ready, I can point her to this thread.

FYI we will be down in Nola on 9/24 and will probably be stopping in your place for dinner ;)
if you don't come to the restaurant, i will probably have a smoke. no pressure bra. :excited:

] :thumbup:

Keep up the good fight Tipsy! My GF smokes about 3/4 pack a day and I've been fighting with her to quit for a while now. Hopefully, when she's ready, I can point her to this thread.

FYI we will be down in Nola on 9/24 and will probably be stopping in your place for dinner ;)
I was just down in Nola and almost made it to his restaurant but had some family obligations.

Good luck to the quitters.My wife and I quit together on the same day about 2.5 years ago when we decided to pull the goalie off the ice and have a kid. There was just no way that I wanted my kid to see me or my wife as smokers, even though I was very comfortable and happy with myself being a smoker for over twenty years. I think that is a result of the negative stigma now attached to smoking that didn't exist 5 or 10 years ago. I feel I am now officially "over the hump", but still have occasional cravings, as does my wife. I know I will be tempted again in a few weeks when I am in Vegas with my drinking and smoking buddies for our FF draft. I am continually amazed at how powerful nicotene is both mentally and physically. Good luck and strength to everyone trying to kick the smoking habit - I definitely feel your pain!

The annoying part is, I'm not quitting because I want to. I love cigarettes. I'm quitting because it #######g costs too much.

The annoying part is, I'm not quitting because I want to. I love cigarettes. I'm quitting because it #######g costs too much.
Your health and the health of those around you isn't enough? :shrug:

When I was low on cash, I would buy a bag of Drum, which would last a week or two.

When I was low on cash, I would buy a bag of Drum, which would last a week or two.
last week, when i was on another "im trying to quit, but im still going to smoke every now & then" moods, i consumed about 1/4 of one of my cooks' containers of this stuff. :X i hated every puff. Yet i still managed to smoke about 10 of them in the course of one shift. I kept sneaking back there & rolling them up like some kind of crack head. I even went so far as to smoke someone elses half used smoke in the break area. based on its taste...week old maybe. Yet i still smoked the whole thing. :wall: Nasty F'ing habit. Please, dear lord, please let me be strong at work again tonight!

NO SNEAKING. NO BEGGING. JUST DON'T SMOKE MORON!

Hour 62.5 just passed. Took the little one for a stroller ride for a mile or so to help with the cravings.Its funny...every person i passed on the street that was outside smoking looked absolutely unhappy. And I avoided them as best i could. Luckily, the smell of them smoking was not pleasent to me at all.Don't kid yourself Tipsy. You know you wanted one 30 seconds later. :angry:

The annoying part is, I'm not quitting because I want to.  I love cigarettes.  I'm quitting because it #######g costs too much.
last week, when i was on another "im trying to quit, but im still going to smoke every now & then" moods, i consumed about 1/4 of one of my cooks' containers of this stuff. :X i hated every puff. Yet i still managed to smoke about 10 of them in the course of one shift. I kept sneaking back there & rolling them up like some kind of crack head. I even went so far as to smoke someone elses half used smoke in the break area. based on its taste...week old maybe. Yet i still smoked the whole thing. :wall: Nasty F'ing habit. Please, dear lord, please let me be strong at work again tonight!

NO SNEAKING. NO BEGGING. JUST DON'T SMOKE MORON!
The "just say no" method is tough, especially for an established smoker. You are chemically dependent upon the nicotine, and your cravings are your brain asking for a hit. That's why the nicotine gums and patches can help. They don't eliminate the cravings, obviously, but they can blunt the yelling to a dull roar, which is the edge some people need. Whatever it takes, man.

Hour 62.5 just passed. Took the little one for a stroller ride for a mile or so to help with the cravings.

Its funny...every person i passed on the street that was outside smoking looked absolutely unhappy. And I avoided them as best i could. Luckily, the smell of them smoking was not pleasent to me at all.

Don't kid yourself Tipsy. You know you wanted one 30 seconds later.

:angry:
I'm sorry tipsy. You can do it though. :thumbup:

The "just say no" method is tough, especially for an established smoker. You are chemically dependent upon the nicotine, and your cravings are your brain asking for a hit. That's why the nicotine gums and patches can help. They don't eliminate the cravings, obviously, but they can blunt the yelling to a dull roar, which is the edge some people need. Whatever it takes, man.
I have to stand by the NO MORE NICOTINE mantra no matter what at this point. I've talked about the 72 hour withdrawl thing before...once its out of your system (3 days max) you only have the mental cravings (which are very hard to deal with too). Right now im approaching hour number 63 and don't want to go through the physical part of this again. It is kicking my butt like nobodys business right now. I feel like Pokey in New Jack City, without the night sweats. I hope it seems harder this time because i'm finally mentally prepared to quit no matter what. I just hope my obviously diseased brain doesn't convince me its ok to have one later on.

I NEVER WANT TO SMOKE ANOTHER CIGARETTE AS LONG AS I LIVE.

I have to stand by the NO MORE NICOTINE mantra no matter what at this point. I've talked about the 72 hour withdrawl thing before...once its out of your system (3 days max) you only have the mental cravings (which are very hard to deal with too). Right now im approaching hour number 63 and don't want to go through the physical part of this again. It is kicking my butt like nobodys business right now. I feel like Pokey in New Jack City, without the night sweats. I hope it seems harder this time because i'm finally mentally prepared to quit no matter what. I just hope my obviously diseased brain doesn't convince me its ok to have one later on.

I NEVER WANT TO SMOKE ANOTHER CIGARETTE AS LONG AS I LIVE.
Whatever you need to do, good for you. :thumbup:

This is the set of rules im trying to follow. I got them from Why Quit.com

1. Quit cold turkey. In the long run it’s the easiest, quickest, least expensive and most effective technique of smoking cessation. There are over one billion "comfortable" ex-smokers on earth today and almost all of them quit cold turkey. 2. Our minds will quickly forget most of the reasons that made us want to quit smoking. Take the time now to write yourself a loving letter that will fully remind you of all your reasons for quitting. Keep your reasons letter with you and read it often. 3. Get rid of all your cigarettes. All of them! Tell friends and family that you’ve started a new nicotine free life. Commit completely to your healing! 4. Quit smoking one day at a time. Do not concern yourself with next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow. Concentrate on not smoking from the time you wake-up until you go to sleep. Be patient with your healing. Baby steps! 5. Attitude is extremely important because we are what we think! If we allow our mind to dwell upon negative thoughts like "quitting is hard" and that we’re "depriving ourselves of smoking" we can make ourselves miserable. If we allow our mind to dwell upon positive notions like our freedom and healing are wonderful and glorious, or that we’re doing ourselves a favor, our journey home can be awesome. 6. Be proud of yourself for not smoking! Don’t rely upon others for your self pride or lien upon them to hard to support your quest for freedom! Trust in you! 7. Symptoms such as headache, inability to concentrate, dizziness, time perception distortions and the ubiquitous sweet tooth encountered by many, can be the result of a blood sugar drop that occurs after quitting. Help your body adjust by avoiding white sugar products and by putting small amounts of food (fuel) into your body at least every three hours. Always leave room for more food but never allow yourself to feel hungry. Get your sugar from juices and fruits (cranberry juice is excellent). 8. Be aware that many routine situations will trigger a crave for nicotine. Situations which may trigger a response include: after meals, talking on the phone, driving, drinking, reading, coffee, alcohol, setting in a bar or pub, social events with smoking friends, or even activities like card games. Try to maintain your normal routine while quitting. If any event seems to tough, leave it and go back to it later. Do not feel you must give up any activity forever. Everything you did as a smoker, you will learn to do at least as well, and maybe better, as an ex-smoker. 9. Drink plenty of fruit juice the first three days. It not only helps flush nicotine from your system it will also help raise your blood sugar level. Also, divide your body weight by two. Use the resulting number as the number of ounces of daily water that your body and lungs need for proper healing and flushing. 10. To help avoid weight gain, eat vegetables and fruit instead of candies and pastries. Celery and carrots can be used safely as short-term substitutes for cigarettes. Smoking was your bodies old cue that your meal had ended. Find a new cue. 11. If you are concerned about weight gain, do some moderate form of regular exercise. If you have not been exercising regularly, consult your physician for a practical exercise program which is safe for you. 12. If you encounter a crisis, (e.g. a flat tire, flood, blizzard, family illness, finances) while quitting, remember, smoking is no solution. Smoking will just complicate the original situation while creating another crisis - full and complete nicotine relapse. 13. Be honest! Truly see yourself as "addicted to nicotine" because you are! Just one puff and you will either immediately or shortly thereafter experience full and complete relapse back to your prior level of nicotine use or higher. Don’t look at it as taking just "ONE" puff, look at it as taking them all back. Picture them all. 14. Don’t debate with yourself how much you want a "cigarette." You don’t crave a cigarette any more than the heroin addict craves a needle. The cigarette and needle are simply drug delivery devices. What you want is the drug inside. 15. Save the money you usually spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something you really want after a week or a month. Save for a year and you can treat yourself to a vacation. 16. Practice deep breathing exercises when you have a craving. Breathe slowly and deeply into the bottom of each lung while clearing your mind of needless chatter. 17. Visualize the challenges ahead (stress, tremendous joy, weight gain, boredom, an accident, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, a funeral, financial problems, the end of a relationship, drinking, extended periods of time around a smoker) and picture yourself successfully overcoming each of them. 18. Climb out of your deep smoker’s rut and begin living your new life. Engage in activities that require more than an hour to complete and challenge your new body. 19. Ask yourself how you’d feel about going back to your old level of consumption. Quitting smoking is one of the few propositions in the world where being 99% successful means 100% defeat. It’s an all or nothing proposition. If you decide you really want to smoke, please promise yourself that you’ll come to the board and give the group a chance to work its magic. If feels almost like a slap in the face when a member is bold enough to post after relapse but not courageous enough to post while in crisis. What good is support for a smoker? None! 20. Remember that there are only two good reasons to take a puff once you quit. You decide you want to go back to your old level of consumption until smoking cripples and then kills you, or, you decide you really enjoy withdrawal and you want to make it last forever. As long as neither of these options appeal to you - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Following this thread is kind of like watching a trainwreck, you don't want it to crash, but you know it will and can't take your eyes off it.

Tipster - I am on day 22 of this round of quitting smoking in my life.I know you have that 72 hour thing ingrained in yout head. But I must tell you, the Commit lozenges are freaking amazing. IMO the main thing killing me /us is the smoke. Get rid of that and then its much easier to lose the nico (Theoretically, I hear). Whatever works for ya bro, and I will support you fully and completely, but I need the pot odds of 2-3x more likely to be successful using the lozenges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following this thread is kind of like watching a trainwreck, you don't want it to crash, but you know it will and can't take your eyes off it.
i resemble that remark.i miss peens in this thread. he would be dancing for joy knowing i started again. (yet it was reveled his motivation for giving me grief earlier was to make me want to quit to throw it in his face)

I don't deserve any praise until I get at least a month out.

My friends Domepatrol & Squirrels will be happy to "out" me if I start smoking again.

,Aug 23 2005, 01:18 PM] :thumbup:

if you don't come to the restaurant, i will probably have a smoke. no pressure bra. :excited:
No worries man.. .you've have kicked this BS by the time we come down. We're driving down that Friday for the jason mraz concert at Tulane... then we're staying in New Orleans for the weekend. We're planning on dinner saturday night. Would be great to meet another FBG and check out this fine grub we've heard so much about! :thumbup: Any chance you can guarantee a Sarah Jessica Parker sighting? ;)

This is the set of rules im trying to follow. I got them from Why Quit.com

Quit cold turkey. In the long run it’s the easiest, quickest, least expensive and most effective technique of smoking cessation. There are over one billion "comfortable" ex-smokers on earth today and almost all of them quit cold turkey.

Our minds will quickly forget most of the reasons that made us want to quit smoking. Take the time now to write yourself a loving letter that will fully remind you of all your reasons for quitting.  Keep your reasons letter with you and read it often.

Get rid of all your cigarettes.  All of them!  Tell friends and family that you’ve started a new nicotine free life.  Commit completely to your healing!

Quit smoking one day at a time.  Do not concern yourself with next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow.  Concentrate on not smoking from the time you wake-up until you go to sleep. Be patient with your healing.  Baby steps!

Attitude is extremely important because we are what we think!  If we allow our mind to dwell upon negative thoughts like "quitting is hard" and that we’re "depriving ourselves of smoking" we can make ourselves miserable. If we allow our mind to dwell upon positive notions like our freedom and healing are wonderful and glorious, or that we’re doing ourselves a favor, our journey home can be awesome.

Be proud of yourself for not smoking!  Don’t rely upon others for your self pride or lien upon them to hard to support your quest for freedom!  Trust in you!

Symptoms such as headache, inability to concentrate, dizziness, time perception distortions and the ubiquitous sweet tooth encountered by many, can be the result of a blood sugar drop that occurs after quitting. Help your body adjust by avoiding white sugar products and by putting small amounts of food (fuel) into your body at least every three hours. Always leave room for more food but never allow yourself to feel hungry. Get your sugar from juices and fruits (cranberry juice is excellent).

Be aware that many routine situations will trigger a crave for nicotine. Situations which may trigger a response include: after meals, talking on the phone, driving, drinking, reading, coffee, alcohol, setting in a bar or pub, social events with smoking friends, or even activities like card games. Try to maintain your normal routine while quitting. If any event seems to tough, leave it and go back to it later. Do not feel you must give up any activity forever. Everything you did as a smoker, you will learn to do at least as well, and maybe better, as an ex-smoker.

Drink plenty of fruit juice the first three days. It not only helps flush nicotine from your system it will also help raise your blood sugar level. Also, divide your body weight by two. Use the resulting number as the number of ounces of daily water that your body and lungs need for proper healing and flushing.

To help avoid weight gain, eat vegetables and fruit instead of candies and pastries. Celery and carrots can be used safely as short-term substitutes for cigarettes. Smoking was your bodies old cue that your meal had ended. Find a new cue.

If you are concerned about weight gain, do some moderate form of regular exercise. If you have not been exercising regularly, consult your physician for a practical exercise program which is safe for you.

If you encounter a crisis, (e.g. a flat tire, flood, blizzard, family illness, finances) while quitting, remember, smoking is no solution.  Smoking will just complicate the original situation while creating another crisis - full and complete nicotine relapse.

Be honest! Truly see yourself as "addicted to nicotine" because you are!  Just one puff and you will either immediately or shortly thereafter experience full and complete relapse back to your prior level of nicotine use or higher. Don’t look at it as taking just "ONE" puff, look at it as taking them all back. Picture them all.

Don’t debate with yourself how much you want a "cigarette."  You don’t crave a cigarette any more than the heroin addict craves a needle. The cigarette and needle are simply drug delivery devices.  What you want is the drug inside.

Save the money you usually spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something you really want after a week or a month.  Save for a year and you can treat yourself to a vacation.

Practice deep breathing exercises when you have a craving.  Breathe slowly and deeply into the bottom of each lung while clearing your mind of needless chatter.

Visualize the challenges ahead (stress, tremendous joy, weight gain, boredom, an accident, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, a funeral, financial problems, the end of a relationship, drinking, extended periods of time around a smoker) and picture yourself successfully overcoming each of them.

Climb out of your deep smoker’s rut and begin living your new life.  Engage in activities that require more than an hour to complete and challenge your new body.

Ask yourself how you’d feel about going back to your old level of consumption. Quitting smoking is one of the few propositions in the world where being 99% successful means 100% defeat.  It’s an all or nothing proposition. If you decide you really want to smoke, please promise yourself that you’ll come to the board and give the group a chance to work its magic.  If feels almost like a slap in the face when a member is bold enough to post after relapse but not courageous enough to post while in crisis.  What good is support for a smoker?  None!

Remember that there are only two good reasons to take a puff once you quit. You decide you want to go back to your old level of consumption until smoking cripples and then kills you, or, you decide you really enjoy withdrawal and you want to make it last forever. As long as neither of these options appeal to you - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Like I said, whatever works for you is the best option. If the rules help, more power to you. The only thing I take issue with is the first statement. Cold turkey may be the easiest, quickest, and least expensive option, but it is not the most effective. Numerous clinical studies demonstrate the effectiveness of nicotine replacement therapies and support groups in smoking cessation, including a review in the July 27 edition of JAMA.

For you, TM - you've made it through the hardest parts - the first few cravings and the first morning craving. Keep up the good work!

Tipster - I am on day 22 of this round of quitting smoking in my life.

I know you have that 72 hour thing ingrained in yout head. But I must tell you, the Commit lozenges are freaking amazing.

IMO the main thing killing me /us is the smoke. Get rid of that and then its much easier to lose the nico (Theoretically, I hear).

Whatever works for ya bro, and I will support you fully and completely, but I need the pot odds of 2-3x more likely to be successful using the lozenges.
I know a guy who is addicted to nicotine and uses these lozenges and other NRTs to hide his smoking habit from his wife and coworkers. they still have nicotine and still keep you addicted. i guess whatever works is good, but you'll still have cravings once you stop the lozenges.

I know you have that 72 hour thing ingrained in yout head. But I must tell you, the Commit lozenges are freaking amazing.

IMO the main thing killing me /us is the smoke. Get rid of that and then its much easier to lose the nico (Theoretically, I hear).

Whatever works for ya bro, and I will support you fully and completely, but I need the pot odds of 2-3x more likely to be successful using the lozenges.
I have tried every method, including the one I am on right now at some point in the past. I've used those lozenges before. I've used the patch. I've chewed the gum. Tried dipping, ate cinnamon sticks, etc....NOTHING WORKS FOR ME. I am weak minded/spirited when it comes to this problem in my life. I WILL ONLY QUIT IF I DON'T KID MYSELF ANYMORE AND TREAT THIS LIKE LIFE OR DEATH.

Btw: im yelling at myself...not you cosjobs. I appreciate the support & advice. Too bad i'm too stupid to listen to anybody else here. I am what the say "white knuckling" it this time.

Whatever works for ya bro, and I will support you fully and completely, but  I need  the pot odds of 2-3x more likely to be successful using the lozenges.
I know a guy who is addicted to nicotine and uses these lozenges and other NRTs to hide his smoking habit from his wife and coworkers. they still have nicotine and still keep you addicted. i guess whatever works is good, but you'll still have cravings once you stop the lozenges.
1) Anything is better than smoking. 2) The cravings for the lozenges/gum won't be as profound as they were for the cigarette.

]

No worries man.. .you've have kicked this BS by the time we come down. We're driving down that Friday for the jason mraz concert at Tulane... then we're staying in New Orleans for the weekend. We're planning on dinner saturday night. Would be great to meet another FBG and check out this fine grub we've heard so much about! :thumbup: Any chance you can guarantee a Sarah Jessica Parker sighting? ;)
no, but the word is Denzel will be in town around then filming the new Bruckheimer film "Deja Vu" and his production staff already know about the restaurant. They basically guranteed he will come to eat with us when/if he comes to town. My wife cannot wait. :bag:

I have tried every method, including the one I am on right now at some point in the past.  I've used those lozenges before.  I've used the patch.  I've chewed the gum.  Tried dipping, ate cinnamon sticks, etc....

NOTHING WORKS FOR ME.  I am weak minded/spirited when it comes to this problem in my life.  I WILL ONLY QUIT IF I DON'T KID MYSELF ANYMORE AND TREAT THIS LIKE LIFE OR DEATH. 

Btw:  im yelling at myself...not you cosjobs.  I appreciate the support & advice.  Too bad i'm too stupid to listen to anybody else here.  I am what the say "white knuckling" it this time.
Tipsy, I for one applaud what you're doing. The only real way to quit is to want to quit more than you want a cig. From the sounds of it, you want a cig pretty bad, but you're staying strong. Keep up the good work. Just one thing. . .don't dip, that stuff's rougher to quit than cigarettes from what I've heard.
The dip is some foul stuff, but as far as health concerns are related, nothing comes close to cig. smoking.

Haven't dipped since the early 90's. I'll never ever do that crap again. Made my gums kind of "soft".I have to give up the occasional cigar too. Smoking cigars during Mardi Gras directly led to me picking up the pack a day thing within 2 days of cigar smoking.

Off to work for the night. I'll probably keep this thread up while their tonight...sorry about all the bumping. I am finding venting in this thread is helping me maintain my last bit of sanity.Don't wish me luck either. Just ask me not to be an idiot.

,Aug 23 2005, 03:08 PM]

no, but the word is Denzel will be in town around then filming the new Bruckheimer film "Deja Vu" and his production staff already know about the restaurant. They basically guranteed he will come to eat with us when/if he comes to town. My wife cannot wait. :bag:
Sweet. When we get closer to that timeframe I'll PM ya my cell and if he comes in that sat night before we were planning on stopping in, then you can give me a ring and tell us to hurry the hell up ;) Hour by hour... keep it up man.

[coonass]YOOOO CAN DOOOOO EEEETTT[/coonass]

:thumbup:

Hour number 65 since I had a smoke. 1 more hour until 66 hours.I've been at work a little over one hour and actual haven't really craved one. I started the "drinking of the juice" like my list of helpful stuff suggests. Gotta say pineapple & cranberry is yummy, but did nothing for my palate when a wine rep showed up. Probably best i not get drunk right now anyway.So, in my own wierd way, i have started trying to get healthy in other ways as well. Most people have suggested working out & the like as great substitutes to smoking. I am so out of shape right now that the first step towards that is just getting acclimated to outside again. I've been cooped up all summer in my nicely air conditioned house, except for my 25 or so smoke breaks every day.. ITS FREAKING HOT HERE IN NAWLINS IN AUGUST. I played golf one morning at like 9 am & thought i was gonna die.So today:1.I worked in my yard for one hour chopping up banana trees & hauling away items my wife was non-plused about (window for craft projects...darn things were rotted away). Probably sweat out a gallon of toxins. Drank plenty of water.2. Took the kid on close to a mile walk in his stroller. Note to self...Walk him up to Tulane & Loyola next week. Chicks love babies! Sorry dear, just getting my perve on.3. Came to work & watered the plants & sprayed off the exterior of the restaurant for about an hour.Lame, i know. But it is a start & it was a great distraction today. Too bad I have to work inside now. Hopefully I'll be busy enough to stay distracted tonight. But im sure ill get the temptation real bad at some point.

Lame, i know. But it is a start & it was a great distraction today. Too bad I have to work inside now. Hopefully I'll be busy enough to stay distracted tonight. But im sure ill get the temptation real bad at some point.
nothing lame about what you're doing. a mile walk with your son shows you how much time smoking takes up. i'm sure he'd rather have you push him around than smoking outside.

Hour number 66. Only one more hour until hour 67!

Just ate something healthy. This is very strange considering what I have to eat around Here.

2 skinless chicken breasts with very light (like dust) seasoning. No oil or butter.

2 chopped up carrots raw

2 stalks raw celery

1 raw squash cut up & raw

1 red bell pepper sliced, raw

Dipping sauce = balsamic vin.

I cannot finish all the veggies, but have a hiding place under my front desk here so i can nibble all night on healthy stuff.

Still feeling ok at the moment, although i did have a bit of a "trigger" when i finished eating. The urge was there, but i have to say it was less strong than ive felt at other points after eating, even today. Maybe this is a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread