What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ZF25 vet draft (1 Viewer)

purplehaze67

Footballguy
I believe this is the first of the Baugh Syndicate drafts to kick off. You can check it out here

Feel free to comment as things get rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF with this trade????New York Giants / Detroit Lions Giants gave up vet 2.10, vet 4.09, rookie 1.10, rookie 2.03 + 100 ZBucks (very low $)Lions gave up vet 1.07 (MANNING), vet 7.04I see that these are two veteran player who made the swap, definitely intrigues me. If this was last year's rookie class (4 RBs, 7 WRs, 3 QBs, 1 TE) loaded with rookie talent, I guess I could see it. I wonder how much value those 2 extra rokie picks are going to add this year?Haze, any comments?

Some people are pretty high on the RB depth in this year's class. Some thing Morrency, Clarett, Fason, Moats, and Arrington can all be starters in the NFL.I don't.

Hey does anyone know how one gets into a Zealots league? Are they still looking for owners? I'd be interested but have no idea if it's even possible.

Yeah, head over to the Dating forum and read the post by Oscar Knight - he tells how to join. There are leagues looking for owners right now.

Some people are pretty high on the RB depth in this year's class. Some think Morency, Clarett, Fason, Moats, and Arrington can all be starters in the NFL.

I don't.
I partly agree with you. Although there are several good college RBs in this draft, I don't think the majority of them will work out to be more than solid RB2s or RBBC members.Last year's rookie draft had solid starter prospects going into the top of RD2. I don't see that kind of depth in this class. Hence I don't see as much added value in the rookie 1.10 & 2.03. Compare that to a vet #7 overall which had Manning, K.Jones, J. Jones, A.Green, D.Davis, C. Portis all waiting to be selected.

Will be very interesting to see how it works out.

WTF with this trade????New York Giants / Detroit Lions Giants gave up vet 2.10, vet 4.09, rookie 1.10, rookie 2.03 + 100 ZBucks (very low $)Lions gave up vet 1.07 (MANNING), vet 7.04I see that these are two veteran player who made the swap, definitely intrigues me. If this was last year's rookie class (4 RBs, 7 WRs, 3 QBs, 1 TE) loaded with rookie talent, I guess I could see it. I wonder how much value those 2 extra rokie picks are going to add this year?Haze, any comments?
Well, let me begin by saying that if I had any idea that KJ would have been there, I definately would have held onto the pick. Figured for sure he'd be long gone -- and staring at the options likely there for me (JJ, Deuce, Portis, maybe Lewis), I just didn't feel that comfortable hitching onto any of them I would not have taken Manning had I stood pat. Trading down allowed me to mitigate risk, build a more balanced team in the first several rounds and gave extra flexibility in both this draft and the rook draft. You may not be too high on those extra rook picks, and I admit that they aren't going to be as valuavle as they were in '04. But I feel confident that I'll be able to add two very useful components there, or package picks to move up or for vet considerations. There should be a lot of possibilities and rookie picks are always pretty liqiud assets.Just like the overall possibilities better vs. taking a questionable RB at 1.07. Had a couple other nibbles, but they felt the price paid was too high so I don't think there was a better offer to be had out of this group of owners. Given that and given the talent sitting there for me @ 2.10, I feel really good about how I did. Time will tell...

Cool Haze...I didn't see the time-frame of the trade. I find it hard to believe you didn't think Dillon would go in the Top 5 when making that deal prior to the start of the draft! :lol: Good luck with the rest of the draft!

WTF with this trade????
:rotflmao: Deja vu from Z22If at first you don't succeed - Try, try again. :bag:
Hmmm...IIRC the Z22 Lions were a playoff team in 2004, and look to be contenders for the next few years, so not sure what you are getting at. Or was it just a chance to be snarky and you couldn't resist? Anyway, keep the value-added comments coming...it'd be a lesser thread w/o your insight.

With a draft coming up, and picking at #14/15 (the turn), I'm taking a big interest in these drafts. Especially as I don't know who to target, it seems there's a drop off around #12, at least IMO, although there are players I wouldn't consider in the top 15 going higher.Can someone explain a few picks for me (por favor):Dillon @ 1.04 - already discussed, never mindD Davis @ 1.08 - is he that good? Nice system, but is he even a lock to keep the job for 3 years? (assuming no injury, etc)Tiki @ 15 in a dynasty seems highMoss @ 20 seems lowBrady @ 24? Sure if this is the NFL... but he's not the 3rd best QB in FF, even if QB was a need at that pickI won't discuss who I'm targetting with my picks, but I will say I'd be thrilled if people reach like that before me.

WTF with this trade????
:rotflmao: Deja vu from Z22If at first you don't succeed - Try, try again. :bag:
Hmmm...IIRC the Z22 Lions were a playoff team in 2004, and look to be contenders for the next few years, so not sure what you are getting at. Or was it just a chance to be snarky and you couldn't resist? Anyway, keep the value-added comments coming...it'd be a lesser thread w/o your insight.
Just found Barry’s comments funny because I was thinking the same thing when you made a similar trade in Z22. But to my surprise that trade actually worked out better for your team than it did for the guy with the 2-1st rounders. Who knows what will happen this time? And yes I was trying to be snarky and I will #### now. Z22 Bucs.

Geez - I must be on a different wavelength then most, cuz I've really liked how these trades have gone down for me so far. Here in 25, I've got SJ, LJ and TJ, and Fitz heading into the 5th, along with 4 of the 1st 19 rook picks (including 1.01 and 1.06). Same as I thought in 22 -- not aiming to build the best team in year one, but to build a solid base for long-term contention. I think I did that pretty well in 22 and am on the same path here. I suppose it's good that I'm not holding popular views, as that's how deals get done. I am a little surprised that no one else ever comes out of the woodwork prepared to pay a little more. You'd think folks would be chompin at the bit to slightly better these lopsided offers and nab that sweet deal for themselves. Never seems to happen...

Tom Brady at 2.12 is just a horrible, horrible pick. Torry Holt, Javon Walker and Marvin Harrison were all still on the board. I mean if you're going to take a Qb there, at least take McNabb.

Tom Brady at 2.12 is just a horrible, horrible pick. Torry Holt, Javon Walker and Marvin Harrison were all still on the board. I mean if you're going to take a Qb there, at least take McNabb.
I hope the guys in z28 like the Patriots as much as the guys in this league. :eek:

Quick question. I am a zealot newbie this year in z33 and was wondering if it was unusual for no IDP to be taken by the end of the 5th round or is the draft in z25 a bit of an abberation?

Quick question. I am a zealot newbie this year in z33 and was wondering if it was unusual for no IDP to be taken by the end of the 5th round or is the draft in z25 a bit of an abberation?
IMO, not unusual...there maybe a couple of teams that don't pick IDP until the teens

What do you think of the Chiefs now after KJ, J Lewis, Holt, Ward and Burleson?I think there were many better options than Burleson!No Defense is much easier to find gems latter in the draft than RBs, QBs and WRs since you start 4 WRs

Thought Burlson was a bit of a reach unless KC is thinking Moss is definitly gone and Burlson moves up to WR1 and becomes Culpepper's main target. But that is a lot of ifs

In last year's inaugural draft at Z18, Ray Lewis was the first IDP & was taken @5.07. Sharper went at 6.09 & Bullock at 7.02. Those were the only 3 taken in the first 8 rounds.

Wow. Barlow @ 7.03. In last year's initial drafts at Zealots (compiled by Tick in his sig :thumbup: ), Barlow was going in the first & second. Granted, last season was a bit of a disappointment, but I wouldn't have thought he'd drop that far - especially given the way RBs fly off of the board in Zealots drafts.

This was my problem with the ZFL leagues - there were always a bunch of amateurs in each one.
Hey, everybody has to start somewhere and ZF seems to be the entry point into IDP leagues for many owners. I was in that boat last year, and I'm sure I made plenty of tactical errors along the way. I'm confident that most will adapt quickly and develop into much stronger owners over the course of the year. I think I did and if I can, so can anyone. :D That being said, there does seem to be a lot of "unconventional" picks here in Z25. In a sense I like it, because it means people are doing their own thinking and not following in lockstep with consensus ratings. But on the other hand, too many failed risks in the vet draft will leave a team in woeful shape for years. There are a few different schools of thought in vet drafts as owners balance "win now" vs. "build for the future" differently. I know I've taken some negative feedback at times for my moves, but I've been satisfied with how I've built my teams. And as long as the rest of the owners feel the same way, that's good enough for me.

This was my problem with the ZFL leagues - there were always a bunch of amateurs in each one.
Hey, everybody has to start somewhere and ZF seems to be the entry point into IDP leagues for many owners. I was in that boat last year, and I'm sure I made plenty of tactical errors along the way. I'm confident that most will adapt quickly and develop into much stronger owners over the course of the year. I think I did and if I can, so can anyone. :D
Agreed. I was new to both IDPs and Dynasty when I joined Zealots last season (I had been playing in redraft leagues since '89), so I guess I was one of the amateurs that Portis is referring to. Seems to me that most who join Zealots are pretty hard-core FF players even if they are new to IDP/Dynasty.My amateur-ness showed, I guess, as I had the worst record in the league last year. But I'm having a blast & am working my butt off to improve my team. My newness to IDPs hurt me badly, but in all honesty my team is probably middle of the pack talent-wise. Everything that could go wrong with my RBs pretty much did. That coupled with the points I was giving away on defense each week made for a rough run.

Lots of :bag: picks here which set up the :eek: picks later on. The teams that I don't really like are the Raiders or Giants.The other teams seem to have a plan, whether that be draft young (Lions), draft Purple (Cowboys), or drafting for value (Balt).Interesting that the older RB's (Priest, CuMart, Fragile) went very late, while Gonzo was drafted ahead of most of those. I figured they would drop some, but that was pretty surprising considering they are all still producing.

So far I like Bal and KC a lot. Pit has a good young team but may take a year or two to produce. Tons of upside and risk.I also think Mia went too LB heavy to early, especially reaching on Edwards. He turns 32 next month. I would not have reached for him there. Probably a classic example of using last year's stats too much. Edwards was the top LB last year in ZF scoring. I don't think he'll repeat.

Interesting that the older RB's (Priest, CuMart, Fragile) went very late, while Gonzo was drafted ahead of most of those. I figured they would drop some, but that was pretty surprising considering they are all still producing.
TEs are going to be interesting in drafts this year. Traditionally, many of us ignore the TE position and try to get mediocre production from a late pick. Unless you got one of the top 3 TEs, there was little difference. Last year saw some crazy TE numbers. There were clearly more than just 3 guys that put up the numbers. Seven TEs have gone through 7 rounds with a big run at the beginning of round 7.

This is killing me. It's all wrong, just all wrong. How can this be so different from my mock?!? :eek: Eddie Kenninson (8.03) was drafted before B.Roethlisberger (8.04). It's all wrong, just all wrong.

To make a statement like that, you must have been one of them. :P These leagues have over 300 owners in them, so you are obviously going to have some amateurs in the mix. However, the overall level of competition is pretty high. Just because you have a few owners here or there that are losers, doesn't indict the entire Zealots community. If that were the case EVERY fantasy league would be guilty.Zealots is not for everyone, but they must be doing something very right for so many to be joining up. Also, their turnover is very low, which is a testiment to the quality of their leaders and system.Man, now I feel like I need for them to put me on payroll. :D

DragonFire, this is the first I heard the Zealots even had a payroll. :eek: You'd think I'd get a cut someplace along the line.Thanks for the kudos on Zealots guys. However, I do think Portis has a point when it comes to IDP. Most of our guys have years of fantasy football experience, but many come to Zealots as IDP virgins. That's just fine with me. We also have some of the best IDP-minds in all of fantasy football involved with Zealots Field, including some of FBG's best and brightest.So, while we have very few fantasy football amateurs, we have a fair share of IDP amateurs. However, students of the fantasy football game also know that IDP is a relatively new aspect of the game. For many years those of us who started the game back in the 1980's used only team defenses.DragonFire is right to say that Zealots Field is not for everyone.

To make a statement like that, you must have been one of them. :P These leagues have over 300 owners in them, so you are obviously going to have some amateurs in the mix. However, the overall level of competition is pretty high. Just because you have a few owners here or there that are losers, doesn't indict the entire Zealots community. If that were the case EVERY fantasy league would be guilty.Zealots is not for everyone, but they must be doing something very right for so many to be joining up. Also, their turnover is very low, which is a testiment to the quality of their leaders and system.Man, now I feel like I need for them to put me on payroll. :D
Everyone was an amateur at some point. Heck, in my first large IDP draft, I took Roy Williams in the 4th round, and Freeney in the 6th. :bag: 16 teams, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE (flexible, but this is the norm)Somehow I overcame the bad draft to win the league in its first year. :gang:

Wow. Barlow @ 7.03. In last year's initial drafts at Zealots (compiled by Tick in his sig :thumbup: ), Barlow was going in the first & second. Granted, last season was a bit of a disappointment, but I wouldn't have thought he'd drop that far - especially given the way RBs fly off of the board in Zealots drafts.
There is also another player (not Barlow) that I thought would be drafted about 4 rounds ago but still hasn't been drafted. Maybe people know something I don't?

Comparing to MOX and last year's Zealot drafts, some RBs I think were picked one round too early:Tiki BarberCorey DillonWarrick DunnLamont JordanOnterrio SmithDuce StaleyTJ DuckettNick GoingsSome RBs I think went at least a half-round too late:Some guy who hasn't been picked yet (the same guy Donnybrook's talking about)Kevin JonesJamal LewisLarry JohnsonCurtis MartinKevan BarlowTrend-wise, this draft is going a bit more RB-heavy than most Z drafts from last season, which means more guys will look like reaches and fewer will look like steals. Actually, this draft is kind of similar to Z22 last year, where the RBs went like crazy early (while I drafted WRs because that's where I thought the value was).

Wow. Barlow @ 7.03. In last year's initial drafts at Zealots (compiled by Tick in his sig  :thumbup: ), Barlow was going in the first & second. Granted, last season was a bit of a disappointment, but I wouldn't have thought he'd drop that far - especially given the way RBs fly off of the board in Zealots drafts.
There is also another player (not Barlow) that I thought would be drafted about 4 rounds ago but still hasn't been drafted. Maybe people know something I don't?
I know exactly who you're talking about. I had to skim down the draft report twice just to be sure.

I think I took this player in question (Foster) @ 9.03. I had considered him at some level since the 4th round, but just always talked myself into someone else every time -- injury history being the main reason. But as my RB5, I can live with it and he should make some nice trade bait if he can stay on the field...

Users who are viewing this thread