What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Baltimore Orioles Thread! (1 Viewer)

jwvdcw

Footballguy
Off to a great start on the year.I'm loving this offense, but definitely unsure about the pitching staff's ability to hold up for the entire year. Regardless, at least theres some hope in Baltimore for the first time in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
7 years of losing records :cry: . It all started with that Jeffrey Maier catch. :hot: Buy 2 pitchers and find something else for Peter Angelos to do.

The Orioles offense is fine. So their entire season comes down to the pitching staff and if Ray Miller can work his magic with the young starters. I think it could be a decent season.Of course, in order to make the playoffs, they need to beat out the Yankees or the Red Sox in the division. No small feat.

East W L Pct GB Home Road East Cent West Streak L10 Toronto 8 4 .667 -- 2-1 6-3 4-2 0-0 4-2 Won 1 6-4 Baltimore 7 4 .636 0.5 3-2 4-2 6-2 0-0 1-2 Won 2 6-4 Boston 6 5 .545 1.5 4-1 2-4 6-5 0-0 0-0 Won 3 6-4 NY Yankees 4 7 .364 3.5 3-3 1-4 4-7 0-0 0-0 Lost 3 3-7 Tampa Bay 4 7 .364 3.5 4-5 0-2 2-6 0-0 2-1 Lost 2 4-6Going for a sweep of the Yankees today!

back in first: East W L Pct GB Home Road East Cent West Streak L10 Baltimore 11 7 .611 -- 5-5 6-2 9-4 1-1 1-2 Won 2 6-4 Boston 10 7 .588 0.5 6-2 4-5 10-7 0-0 0-0 Lost 1 7-3 Toronto 9 10 .474 2.5 2-5 7-5 5-7 0-0 4-3 Lost 4 3-7 Tampa Bay 7 10 .412 3.5 6-6 1-4 4-8 0-0 3-2 Won 2 4-6 NY Yankees 7 11 .389 4.0 4-6 3-5 7-9 0-0 0-2 Lost 2 3-7

Bedard looked great today. I feel somewhat safe when he or Lopez goes to the mound, but Chen, Cabrera and Ponson make me nervous as hell. I'm going Monday night to see them in Fenway. Hopefully Sammy breaks out with some blasts in the Monstah seats!!!!

I'm a Sox fan, but I grew up admiring the O's and their awesome pitching staffs in the early 70's. It just doesn't seem right to have the O's (and the Tigers) lagging behind like they have for so long.Saw my first Sox game against the Orioles on May 17, 1967. Boog Powell, Frank Robinson and Brooks Robinson all hit HR's-Sox lost that day.Taking my 5 year old to Wednesday's game. There will be no Boog homers on that day.

two game lead now:East W L Pct GB Home Road East Cent West Streak L10 Baltimore 13 7 .650 -- 5-5 8-2 11-4 1-1 1-2 Won 4 7-3 Boston 11 9 .550 2.0 6-3 5-6 11-9 0-0 0-0 Lost 1 6-4 Toronto 9 11 .450 4.0 2-6 7-5 5-8 0-0 4-3 Lost 5 2-8 NY Yankees 8 11 .421 4.5 5-6 3-5 7-9 0-0 1-2 Won 1 4-6 Tampa Bay 8 11 .421 4.5 7-7 1-4 5-9 0-0 3-2 Lost 1 4-6

make that three:

Standings

Regular Standings | Expanded Standings

American League

East W L Pct GB Home Road East Cent West Streak L10

Baltimore 14 7 .667 -- 5-5 9-2 12-4 1-1 1-2 Won 5 7-3

Boston 11 10 .524 3.0 6-4 5-6 11-10 0-0 0-0 Lost 2 5-5

Toronto 10 11 .476 4.0 3-6 7-5 6-8 0-0 4-3 Won 1 3-7

NY Yankees 9 11 .450 4.5 6-6 3-5 7-9 0-0 2-2 Won 2 5-5

Tampa Bay 8 12 .400 5.5 7-7 1-5 5-10 0-0 3-2 Lost 2 4-6

I was recruited to a college out West to be a LB. I ended up going to a college in the South(central part of the country) to play QB. I ended up playing WR in the pros. I'm not in the pro football Hall of Fame.

LINK

I was recruited to a college out West to be a LB. I ended up going to a college in the South(central part of the country) to play QB. I ended up playing WR in the pros. I'm not in the pro football Hall of Fame.

LINK
I don't know. I'm asking you! LOL...this is so silly. This is our conversation:A: Hey, where is the supermarket?

B: I don't know.

A: Oh ok.

B: Hey, where is the supermarket?

A: I don't know...I was just asking you.

B: Oh ok

A: :wall:

LINK
I don't know. I'm asking you! LOL...this is so silly. This is our conversation:A: Hey, where is the supermarket?

Hello? Ask the person you got the question from. The guy sure as hell should know the answer by now.

LINK

Hello? Ask the person you got the question from. The guy sure as hell should know the answer by now.
What guy are you talking about?

LINK

What guy are you talking about?
:lmao: You tell me. Here's a post of yours from the linked thread:

I've double checked with the person whom I got this question from....there are no mistakes in the wording of the question. Every single part of the question is worded just perfectly.

4 game lead now

Baltimore 16 7 .696 -- 7-5 9-2 14-4 1-1 1-2 Won 7 8-2

Boston 12 11 .522 4.0 6-4 6-7 11-10 0-0 1-1 Won 1 4-6

Toronto 13 12 .520 4.0 5-6 8-6 9-9 0-0 4-3 Lost 1 4-6

NY Yankees 10 14 .417 6.5 7-9 3-5 8-10 0-0 2-4 Won 1 5-5

Tampa Bay 8 16 .333 8.5 7-7 1-9 5-14 0-0 3-2 Lost 6 3-7

4 game lead now

Baltimore 16 7 .696 -- 7-5 9-2 14-4 1-1 1-2 Won 7 8-2

Boston 12 11 .522 4.0 6-4 6-7 11-10 0-0 1-1 Won 1 4-6

Toronto 13 12 .520 4.0 5-6 8-6 9-9 0-0 4-3 Lost 1 4-6

NY Yankees 10 14 .417 6.5 7-9 3-5 8-10 0-0 2-4 Won 1 5-5

Tampa Bay 8 16 .333 8.5 7-7 1-9 5-14 0-0 3-2 Lost 6 3-7
Is BJ Ryan ever going to get more than one save opportunity a WEEK??He's killing me.

A few thoughts...Miguel Tejada is, in my mind, the best player in baseball... bar none. Some will argue Pujols and others but what Tejada brings to the O's on the field and off is tough to match.Terry Crowley, the Orioles hitting coach, doesn't get nearly enough credit for the job he has done, especially with Melvin Mora and Brian Roberts.I would love to see the Orioles land Todd Helton although I think absorbing his salary for the next five or six season will probably preclude him from joining the O's.Adding Tejada has been the best move the Orioles have made in at least a decade, but some forget that they almost landed Vlad that very same offseason. Unfortunately for the O's he ultimately decided to take less money from the Angels so he could be part of a larger Latin community. Tejada and Vlad in the same lineup would have been something to behold.We all know the Yanks will come on as the season ages but does anyone like what they have seen from the Sox? The staff looks pretty rough as compared to Pedro / Schilling / Lowe.

A few thoughts...

Miguel Tejada is, in my mind, the best player in baseball... bar none. Some will argue Pujols and others but what Tejada brings to the O's on the field and off is tough to match.

Terry Crowley, the Orioles hitting coach, doesn't get nearly enough credit for the job he has done, especially with Melvin Mora and Brian Roberts.

I would love to see the Orioles land Todd Helton although I think absorbing his salary for the next five or six season will probably preclude him from joining the O's.

Adding Tejada has been the best move the Orioles have made in at least a decade, but some forget that they almost landed Vlad that very same offseason. Unfortunately for the O's he ultimately decided to take less money from the Angels so he could be part of a larger Latin community. Tejada and Vlad in the same lineup would have been something to behold.

We all know the Yanks will come on as the season ages but does anyone like what they have seen from the Sox? The staff looks pretty rough as compared to Pedro / Schilling / Lowe.
Agreed on Tejada. MVP.I think you presume a little too much on the Yankees, particularly their staff. There are indicators that Mussina AND Johnson are losing velocity and effectiveness. I'm not saying they are done, but if they come back to the pack, that is no longer the dominating staff we all expected.

The Sox are in a similar situation. Schilling and Wells are both pretty old, granted. But the injuries are to their ankles. I haven't heard or read anything to suggest they won't each come back completely healthy. Arroyo is underated. He is pretty solid and has been for a while now. Clement has the stuff, he just needs to figure it out and settle down. I think having veterans like Wells and Schilling can only help him. Wakefield is dependable, sometimes brilliant and usually pitches very well against the Yankees. Wade Miller could be a real wild card. And the Sox have the luxury of waiting until he is 100% before bringing him back.

Frankly, the offenses of Baltimore, NY and Boston look equally strong. But I have serious questions about how the O's pitching will hold up over the long haul. There are not a lot of proven, long term successes on that staff. And what's the depth like? Teams usually need to plug holes in the rotation at some point (see Boston and NY now).

I think the O's will hang around because of their offense, but they need help from either Boston or NY. If the Boston and NY pitching comes around, no way the O's can hang with that staff.

Brian Roberts is using steriods. He got them from Brady Anderson.
As I posted in the other thread:young players often mature and develop power as they come into their primes. Its not like he has been a career journeyman who is just now starting to hit for power in his mid-30s. He is entering his prime and is improving...nothing strange about that.

Brady Anderson was a perfect example of an older player who was obviously not a power hitter but suddenly started hitting them. Roberts is just hitting his prime. Tons of players have added power as they've entered their primes.

Brian Roberts is using steriods.  He got them from Brady Anderson.
As I posted in the other thread:young players often mature and develop power as they come into their primes. Its not like he has been a career journeyman who is just now starting to hit for power in his mid-30s. He is entering his prime and is improving...nothing strange about that.

Brady Anderson was a perfect example of an older player who was obviously not a power hitter but suddenly started hitting them. Roberts is just hitting his prime. Tons of players have added power as they've entered their primes.
I have been an Oriole fan since I was three years old, so I'll always side with the Birds. However, Brady Anderson is the most obscene user of steriods in the history of baseball... moreso than even Barry Bonds.Dude packed on like 30lbs of muscle one offseason and suddenly he is hitting pitches off his shoetops 500ft? C'mon.

Enjoy this while it lasts because they don't have the pitching to seriously compete.Brian Roberts just had a career April, hats off but if you think he is going to keep this pace up all year, you are insane.Bruce Chen also strung together a few good starts, again hats off, but that is not going to continue and you and I and the rest of MLB knows it. He hasn't bounced around from team to team because he is a good pitcher.This Bedard guy might be decent but he's not going to carry your pitching. Eventually that will be their downfall.Im glad you are posting this in April though. Yankees and Sox fans are really scared now.

... But I have serious questions about how the O's pitching will hold up over the long haul. There are not a lot of proven, long term successes on that staff. And what's the depth like? Teams usually need to plug holes in the rotation at some point (see Boston and NY now).

I think the O's will hang around because of their offense, but they need help from either Boston or NY. If the Boston and NY pitching comes around, no way the O's can hang with that staff.
The Oriole pitching staff can't hold up to being 10th in AL in ERA? Mediocre in most categories except strike outs and unearned runs (oh and wins).The wins are coming from the offense, and the defense only giving up 4 unearned runs all season. What was the 2004 Team ERA after Ray Miller arrived?

Orioles pitchers were last in the American League with a 5.34 ERA through 69 games when Miller took over last season...Over their final 93 games, they posted a 4.24 ERA, 2nd in the AL starting June 26, and finished 7th in the league with a 4.70 ERA...The ERA of Orioles starters was 5.94 before his arrival and 4.44 starting June 26
Winning is a pretty contagious thing. If the Orioles young pitchers believe in the classic Oriole way - work quickly, throw strikes, let the defense do their job that Ray Miller preaches there is no reason to believe that they cannot be mediocre for 162 games?

Brian Roberts is using steriods.  He got them from Brady Anderson.

I have been an Oriole fan since I was three years old, so I'll always side with the Birds. However, Brady Anderson is the most obscene user of steriods in the history of baseball... moreso than even Barry Bonds.Dude packed on like 30lbs of muscle one offseason and suddenly he is hitting pitches off his shoetops 500ft? C'mon.
No, you misunderstood me. The user was making a comparison between Anderson and Brian Roberts, saying that they both used. I was only pointing out how different their situations were....Brady Anderson was a well known player in his 30s who had shown no signs of tremendous power when all of a sudden he hit 50 HRs.

Brian Roberts is a young player who hit a ton of doubles last year(which future HR kings often do while they are young) and who was stuck in a platoon situation with Jerry Hairston. He worked hard and got the starting job, which gave him confidence. Then he worked out hard and is now entering his prime. He now is hitting HRs.

Yes, Brady is an obvious case of roids. But I can think of a ton of players who I'd suspect of roids before Roberts. I mean according to this poster, any young player who develops power is automatically on steroids :rolleyes:

...  But I have serious questions about how the O's pitching will hold up over the long haul.  There are not a lot of proven, long term successes on that staff.  And what's the depth like?  Teams usually need to plug holes in the rotation at some point (see Boston and NY now).

I think the O's will hang around because of their offense, but they need help from either Boston or NY.  If the Boston and NY pitching comes around, no way the O's can hang with that staff.
The Oriole pitching staff can't hold up to being 10th in AL in ERA? Mediocre in most categories except strike outs and unearned runs (oh and wins).The wins are coming from the offense, and the defense only giving up 4 unearned runs all season. What was the 2004 Team ERA after Ray Miller arrived?
Exactly...the argument of 'their pitching can't hold up' makes absolutely no sense because they aren't winning with their pitching. That would be like me saying, "Theres no way that the Miami Heat will continue to win like they did in the first round because I don't think that Christian Laettner will be able to keep it up."

...  But I have serious questions about how the O's pitching will hold up over the long haul.  There are not a lot of proven, long term successes on that staff.  And what's the depth like?  Teams usually need to plug holes in the rotation at some point (see Boston and NY now).

I think the O's will hang around because of their offense, but they need help from either Boston or NY.  If the Boston and NY pitching comes around, no way the O's can hang with that staff.
Exactly...the argument of 'their pitching can't hold up' makes absolutely no sense because they aren't winning with their pitching. That would be like me saying, "Theres no way that the Miami Heat will continue to win like they did in the first round because I don't think that Christian Laettner will be able to keep it up."
People keep doubting the O's staff, but Lopez/Bedard/Chen are actually all pretty good. Chen was once rated as the #1 pitching prospect in all of MLB when he was still with Atlanta, so it's not as if this is coming completely from nowhere. Also consider that he had a tremendous second half last season and seems to finally get it, and I don't think you can conclusively say he DEFINITELY won't keep it up. Who's to say he won't be a guy like Jamie Moyer, another lefty who bounced around from team to team before finally finding success later in his career than most others guys? And Bedard had sick stuff before TJ surgery two years ago; he could be legit all season long as well.That said, to whoever was mentioning the problems of the Yanks and Sox pitchers, why can we just assume that Wells and Schilling will make full recoveries? I just read the other day that Schilling's ankle injury could be a repeat of last season, and it could bother him the entire year. And with Wells, a player who has a long and storied history of non-arm injuries (but back, foot, ankle problems) that have kept him out extensively. I don't think there are any guarantees about them. And for Matt Clement, sure he's got the "stuff". But saying all he needs to do is calm down or settle down is like saying all Gabe Kapler needed to do was make solid contact and he'd be a superstar. Sometimes, the talent alone isn't enough. Clement isn't some young kid anymore, so giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll become this elite pitcher is probably not realistic.

And as for the Yanks, as a Yankee fan I'll tout the company line of it still being early, but the signs for a turnaround aren't presenting themselves. I truly feel that when the offense really kicks in consistently (5 or 6 runs every game, not 13 one game and then 1 the next), then that'll take pressure off the staff, pen, etc. So yeah, I think they'll be fine. But there are no guarantees about that, either. In truth, the O's are definitely making me think long and hard about this supposed two-team race. At the very least, they should be in contention late for a wild card berth because the rest of the likely 2nd place teams in the AL aren't particulary awe-inspiring.

A few thoughts...

Miguel Tejada is, in my mind, the best player in baseball... bar none. Some will argue Pujols and others but what Tejada brings to the O's on the field and off is tough to match.

Terry Crowley, the Orioles hitting coach, doesn't get nearly enough credit for the job he has done, especially with Melvin Mora and Brian Roberts.

I would love to see the Orioles land Todd Helton although I think absorbing his salary for the next five or six season will probably preclude him from joining the O's.

Adding Tejada has been the best move the Orioles have made in at least a decade, but some forget that they almost landed Vlad that very same offseason. Unfortunately for the O's he ultimately decided to take less money from the Angels so he could be part of a larger Latin community. Tejada and Vlad in the same lineup would have been something to behold.

We all know the Yanks will come on as the season ages but does anyone like what they have seen from the Sox? The staff looks pretty rough as compared to Pedro / Schilling / Lowe.
Agreed on Tejada. MVP.I think you presume a little too much on the Yankees, particularly their staff. There are indicators that Mussina AND Johnson are losing velocity and effectiveness. I'm not saying they are done, but if they come back to the pack, that is no longer the dominating staff we all expected.

The Sox are in a similar situation. Schilling and Wells are both pretty old, granted. But the injuries are to their ankles. I haven't heard or read anything to suggest they won't each come back completely healthy. Arroyo is underated. He is pretty solid and has been for a while now. Clement has the stuff, he just needs to figure it out and settle down. I think having veterans like Wells and Schilling can only help him. Wakefield is dependable, sometimes brilliant and usually pitches very well against the Yankees. Wade Miller could be a real wild card. And the Sox have the luxury of waiting until he is 100% before bringing him back.

Frankly, the offenses of Baltimore, NY and Boston look equally strong. But I have serious questions about how the O's pitching will hold up over the long haul. There are not a lot of proven, long term successes on that staff. And what's the depth like? Teams usually need to plug holes in the rotation at some point (see Boston and NY now).

Some Tejada talk from Peter Gammons:Orioles rolling right along

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Peter Gammons

Special to ESPN.com

May 1

There are several factors that have gone into the Orioles' best start since they held down first place for the entire season in 1997, not to mention proving that this is the best home for Sammy Sosa.

Baltimore's offense leads the majors in runs scored, mainly because the top third of its order is unrivaled: Brian Roberts (.465 on-base percentage, 1.182 OPS and eight home runs), Melvin Mora (.376 OBP and .952 OPS) and Miguel Tejada (.417 OBP, 1.154 OPS and nine homers). Pitching coach Ray Miller has done a marvelous job teaching the art of changing speeds to Erik Bedard, Rodrigo Lopez and Bruce Chen, while young right-hander Daniel Cabrera continues to learn. The O's bullpen has stopped the bleeding, with closer B.J. Ryan (21 strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings pitched), Jorge Julio (one earned run allowed in 12 2/3 innings pitched) and the surprising Todd Williams (one earned run allowed in 12 innings pitched).

But the players point to one man as the main reason for the club's turnaround. "There's no doubt in my mind that Miggy [Tejada] is the best player in the game," Roberts says. "Start with his position. He's by far the best at a [the] middle-infield skill position. Then, if you watched us every day, you'd see [Tejada's] RBI are not a fluke. He has an uncanny ability to knock in runs. Then, most of all, there's his energy. He is always up, pushing everyone and making the entire team better."

"I've never been around anyone like him," B.J. Surhoff says of Tejada.

"I played with Pete Rose and coached Kirby Puckett," Orioles hitting coach Terry Crowley says, "and Miggy is just like them. He is the best player in the game, hands-down. Like Rose and Puckett, he puts it out there every day, and they are those rare players off whom teammates feed. You can crunch every number you want, you can't put a premium on the energy one player can bring to an entire team. This franchise changed the day he arrived."

Adds a Red Sox official: "We watched him from the stands during BP. And we could not believe his energy, his enthusiasm, and how teammates feed off him. He is special."

Not to mention durable. "If some kid comes to the park to see me," Tejada says, "I had better be on the field." In the last five years (2001-2005, as of May 1), Tejada had played in 548 games, most of any player, and his 500 RBI rank third behind Albert Pujols' 504 and Alex Rodriguez's 501.

Summing up April

Through Sunday, Baltimore has the second-best record in the majors at 17-7 (a .708 winning percentage). The White Sox have the best at 18-7 (.720). Since 1976, 13 teams have finished April with a .700 (or better) winning percentage, and 10 have made the playoffs. The following is the gross data, and teams that were at those percentage levels heading into Sunday:

May 1 winning pct.; teams, made playoffs, pct. Teams heading into Sunday

Over .700; 13, 10, 77% White Sox

.600-.700; 46, 24, 52% Cardinals, Orioles, Twins, Marlins, Dodgers

.550-.599; 39, 16, 41% Braves, D-Backs

.500-.549; 42, 11, 26% Angels, Red Sox, Nationals, Cubs, A's, Giants, Mariners, Blue Jays, Tigers

.450-.499; 36, 8, 22% Rangers, Padres, Mets

.400-.44; 36, 2, 6% Yankees, Phillies, Reds, Astros, Brewers

Under .400; 54, 1, 2% Indians, Devil Rays, Pirates, Rockies, Royals

A Royal mess

The most disappointing team in April was likely the Royals. "I know a lot of our fans are disappointed and frustrated," K.C. general manager Allard Baird says. "But we have to build the right way. This is the way we have to go, and if anyone has to be fired, then fire me."

Baird is encouraged by his young pitching. Zack Greinke, Denny Bautista and Runelvys Hernandez (who still is getting his command back after undergoing Tommy John surgery) are the core of a future rotation, while Andy Sisco (20 strikeouts, two earned runs allowed in 18 innings pitched) was a great Rule V pickup from the Cubs, and Ambiorix Burgos shot out of Double-A hitting 98 mph on the radar gun.

Come July, the Royals will be looking to make some deals for young players. Mike Sweeney would love to go to the Dodgers. Brian Anderson could be available, as could Jeremy Affeldt, who will be a fourth-year arbitration case at the end of the season.

Baird's problem is that ownership doesn't breed relationships with young players. Affeldt had to go to arbitration over a $200,000 difference. Ken Harvey was shipped to Triple-A Omaha to open the season for arbitration reasons. That undermines what Baird and manager Tony Pena are trying to accomplish.

News and notes

• Red Sox executives who watched Wade Miller's first outing at Triple-A Pawtucket said he was "good, not great." Miller threw between 87 and 92 mph, and sat mostly at 89, with a very good breaking ball. He doesn't have the run -- especially back over the plate to lefties -- that he had in Houston, when he threw across his body, but he has diligently worked on pounding both sides of the plate with his fastball.

• The Red Sox are very encouraged by the maturity of catcher Kelly Shoppach (.413 OBP, seven home runs in April, threw out two runners attemtping to steal the night Miller pitched). They feel Shoppach is the best catcher in Triple-A, and if the Sox don't need to use him, Shoppach could be midseason trade bait when and if Boston tries to deal for a first baseman.

• The Red Sox, Cubs, Nationals and several other teams are waiting on Tampa Bay to see if Aubrey Huff will become available.

• Baltimore is looking for a right-handed bat to compliment Rafael Palmeiro, Jay Gibbons and Larry Bigbie. Shea Hillenbrand is one possibility.

• There isn't a lot more that can go wrong for the Cubs, so here is one piece of good news: Matt Murton, the outfielder they acquired with Nomar Garciaparra last July, is hitting close to .450 a Double-A.

• Tony Pena was astounded to get a phone call from Pedro Martinez, wanting to know if there was anything Pedro could do to help Tony and Pedro's cousin, Denny Bautista.

• When Nationals GM Jim Bowden revisited the White House this past week, he, too, was astounded to see a picture of himself, Frank Robinson and the Nationals players with President Bush on the wall of the West Wing. "That," says Bowden, "was the thrill of a lifetime."

• Koby Clemens threw the second no-hitter of his high school season Friday -- against his dad's alma mater, Spring Woods. Koby is signed to pitch at Texas next year. No surprise.

• If and when Diamondbacks GM Joe Garagiola, Jr. leaves the team to replace Sandy Alderson in the commissioner's office to work with John McHale, there is speculation that Pat Gillick will replace Garagiola. Gillick has had a long-standing replationship with D-Backs general partner Jeff Moorad.

• The Hall of Fame is holding its own fantasy camp, October 5-9 in Cooperstown, N.Y. HOF members George Brett, Lou Brock, Phil Niekro and Duke Snider are among the players participating, but there are only 48 spots available. Check the HOF website or call 888-Hall-Of-Fame for information.

• Once Mike Cameron gets back from his injury rehabilitation this week, Mets manager Willie Randolph has to find a way to get Victor Diaz four games a week in left and right field. So far Victor Diaz hasn't just been getting attention for his huge boner. "This kid can really hit," says one NL scout. "Cliff Floyd is in great shape and having a tremendous year, but Diaz may develop into their most dangerous hitter."

• The morning after Kevin Millwood threw 45 pitches in the first two innings but endured to give the Indians seven innings and a chance to win, GM Mark Shapiro called the veteran pitcher. "I just wanted to tell him how much I respect him," Shapiro says. "Pitching 200 innings is no minimal accomplishment. It takes a lot of physical and mental toughness, and Kevin has both."

• That sort of respect is why Indians players trust that they, Eric Wedge, the coaches and front office are all pulling in the same direction, so that C.C. Sabathia passed up an opportunity to become a 2006 free agent at the age of 26 to take a two-year, $17.75 million contract extension. Sabathia, who won't be 25 until July 21, already has 56 career wins. For some perspective, the only active pitchers with more wins before their 25th birthday are Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens, who had 60. Next in the under-25 group? Jake Peavy, who has 35 wins.

• The best rivalry thus far this season has been Dodgers-Diamondbacks, with all six games between the teams coming down to the last pitch.

• When Johnny Damon agreed to do a book with Peter Golenbock, he should have proofread the photo galleries, because it is embarrassing to refer to bench coach (and current manager) Brad Mills as "Brian."

Sizing up the end of the game

Florida now has to go with Todd Jones, Jim Mecir and Matt Perisho while they await closer Guillermo Mota's return from the disabled list. The Giants know Armando Benitez is likely gone for the year, and will mix and match with Jim Brower and friends until they determine which young minor-league pitchers might fit in their bullpen along with Scott Munter.

The Cubs, meanwhile, have scrambled for a month waiting for Joe Borowski to return. "There really isn't much of a [trade] market," Marlins GM Larry Beinfest says. "No one's giving up on May 1st, and why should they?" In Florida's case, losing Mota, who was throwing very well, is their worst-case scenario.

It's the same case with the Giants. "The one thing we're convinced of is that throwing strikes is more important than throwing the hardest when it comes to the closer role," Giants assistant GM Ned Colletti says.

The Tigers are trying to win, and won't trade Ugueth Urbina (whose velocity is in the 91-92 mph range, up considerably from last season) until and if they can extract a huge talent from another club. Tampa Bay has been willing to discuss dealing Danys Baez, but only for a Scott Kazmir fortune. That might make Affeldt very attractive come midseason.

Of course, if the Phillies continue to flounder and are buried in the NL East come the All-Star break, it will be very interesting to see what GM Ed Wade -- already in the public crosshairs -- will do with Billy Wagner.

If one believes that power bullpens win in October, it should be noted that the Twins and Angels ended April ranked first and fourth (with Cleveland and Seattle between them), respectively, in bullpen ERA (and Joe Nathan has gotten back to his '04 velocity). Francisco Rodriguez and Scot Shields have combined to have 34 strikeouts in 26 2/3 innings, and Angels relievers have thrown more innings than relievers on any team above .500. Going into the weekend, Angels relievers had inherited 23 runners, and one had scored.

If one believes that opponents' OPS is a valid measure of stuff, then check the lowest four staffs in OPS through April: Cleveland .534, Minnesota .599, Seattle .610, L.A. Angels .669. The Indians are 5-for-8 in save opportunities. Boston's bullpen has the worst opponents' OPS (.838) in the American League, a bad sign when Curt Schilling and David Wells are disabled. Best in the NL -- Houston (.621) and Florida (.635).

Perhaps the most remarkable handling of a bullpen the first month was Jim Tracy's survival without Eric Gagne. The Dodgers' pen is 6-1 with nine saves in 11 opportunities with Yhency Brazoban 8-for-9. "Brazoban has done an outstanding job," Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta says. "But there is no doubt that getting Eric Gagne back makes us much better, because it pushes Yhency into the seventh and eighth innings and pushes everyone else back."

Gagne might be back within two weeks, and Wilson Alvarez is expected to return this week. With Brad Penny back in the rotation, the Dodgers finally are close to having their pitching in its expected order, and with Jayson Werth on rehab, Tracy might also have his lineup in place.

All about the record

Mike Flanagan, the Orioles' vice president of baseball operations, has always looked for pitchers who can pitch in the powerful AL East. Here is a list of pitchers who currently (or in Pedro Martinez's case, once pitched) work in the division and their record against AL East foes:

P. Martinez 39-22

David Wells 57-50

T. Wakefield 41-25

Sidney Ponson 21-36

Rodrigo Lopez 20-14

M. Mussina 61-40

K. Brown 33-25

Roy Halladay 28-16

Ted Lilly 10-9

(Source: Elias Sports Bureau)

Some more espn.com material for ya:

Lee Mazzilli was on the firing line early this season, under heavy pressure to get the Orioles off to a good start. But that talk has dissipated now that the Orioles are the hottest team in baseball. By the time this season ends, the talk may be of the Orioles being one of the best offensive teams this century.

Right now, the easiest out in the Orioles' lineup is a guy with more than 500 career home runs, Rafael Palmeiro. Brian Roberts isn't the only Orioles player producing, either. Miguel Tejada has proven that he is one of the best players in the game, while Melvin Mora has continued the rate of production he posted last season. Baltimore right now is a five-tool team. It can hit, hit with power, run, field and throw.

Great Eight

Orioles' stats during their current eight-game winning streak:

Batting average .343*

Runs/game 7.8

Home runs 21

Stolen bases 14

* Miguel Tejada: .457 batting average, Melvin Mora: .412 batting average, Brian Roberts: .400 batting average.

I have followed the Orioles for a long time. I really believe they are for real this year. As I posted previously, the entire season comes down to the pitching staff and Ray Miller because the offense is a proven element. And Miller has a strong, proven track record. The pitching staff will probably finish better than middle of the pack in ERA. But more importantly are stats like quality starts, since young pitchers will periodically get bombed.Last years staff had potential, but bombed (Ainsworth, Riley, and Dubose). You never know when pitchers will become good, or turn in one good season. Interesting note: The five Oriole starting pitchers are all from different countries, and none from the US.Lopez - MexicoPonson - ArubaChen - PanamaCabera - Dominican RepublicBedard - CanadaCabera is the starter I am the most concerned about at this point. He just doesn't seem like the same pitcher he was last year.

bottom of the 11th, 2-2, O's have the bases loaded with 2 outs and Larry Bigbie at the plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Orioles stretched their lead in the AL East to three games over Toronto"I bet nobody thought they'd be hearing that 2 months ago.

I have followed the Orioles for a long time. I really believe they are for real this year. As I posted previously, the entire season comes down to the pitching staff and Ray Miller because the offense is a proven element. And Miller has a strong, proven track record. The pitching staff will probably finish better than middle of the pack in ERA. But more importantly are stats like quality starts, since young pitchers will periodically get bombed.

Last years staff had potential, but bombed (Ainsworth, Riley, and Dubose). You never know when pitchers will become good, or turn in one good season.

Interesting note: The five Oriole starting pitchers are all from different countries, and none from the US.

Lopez - Mexico

Ponson - Aruba

Chen - Panama

Cabera - Dominican Republic

Bedard - Canada

Cabera is the starter I am the most concerned about at this point. He just doesn't seem like the same pitcher he was last year.
They lost 2 of 3 to Toronto, but their starters were fantastic - I think the SPs gave up 4 runs in the 3 games. The bats went cold, but I'm not too concerned about the offense. If Miller can hold the pitching staff together.........

Users who are viewing this thread