What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you identify good DT's? (1 Viewer)

redman

Footballguy
Of all of the positions that I've evaluated as a relative newb (1 year) to IDP play, DT's are about as difficult a position as I can think of to evaluate and predict. For me, they're worse than CB's, which are also a challenge. Anyway, what criteria does everyone use to find DT's who don't merely end up with the standard 2-3 tackles (and nothing else) per game, aside from the obvious (healthy, starter, relatively young, good overall defense, etc.)?

Look for the ones with FirstName: Kevin and LastName: WilliamsIt always works for me.

You may want to look at Under tackles in a one-gap scheme because they are often quicker players who asked to penatrate and make plays. Chicago, Tampa, Colts, Atlanta, are among the teams that employ this defense.Outside of that, there are a few "name" DTs to target in 4-3 defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to look at Under tackles in a one-gap scheme because they are often quicker players who asked to penatrate and make plays. Chicago, Tampa, Colts, Atlanta, are among the teams that employ this defense.

Outside of that, there are a few "name" DTs to target in 4-3 defenses.
To piggy-back on this. When doing research look for the following two things:1) Depth charts that label the DTs as NT, and UT. The UT is called "up-tackle" and is a pass rushing tackle like Rod Coleman or Warren Sapp when he was in tampa.

2) Look for the use of the words "3-technique." This is refering to the same thing.

BTW...my sleeper at DT this year is Darnell Dockett. Green will use him the same way Minny uses Kevin Williams and he has similar measurables to boot.

In simply terms, take a DT that plays every down, less a series or two for some wind. If you can get 6+ sacks out of that player and 40 tackles (2 1/2 a game) for the year, he's about as best as you'll get.

You may want to look at Under tackles in a one-gap scheme because they are often quicker players who asked to penatrate and make plays. Chicago, Tampa, Colts, Atlanta, are among the teams that employ this defense.

Outside of that, there are a few "name" DTs to target in 4-3 defenses.
To piggy-back on this. When doing research look for the following two things:1) Depth charts that label the DTs as NT, and UT. The UT is called "up-tackle" and is a pass rushing tackle like Rod Coleman or Warren Sapp when he was in tampa.

2) Look for the use of the words "3-technique." This is refering to the same thing.

BTW...my sleeper at DT this year is Darnell Dockett. Green will use him the same way Minny uses Kevin Williams and he has similar measurables to boot.
To piggy back your piggy back...stay away from nose tackles and the term "two-gap"

Look for under tackles, 3-technique, one-gap players and, of course, anyone named Kevin Williams :)

Pretty much stay away from defensive linemen in a 3-4, with some exceptions. The emergence of the 3-4 defense is killing a lot of IDP fantasy value, not only across the line but at linebacker also (3-4 OLBs tend to suck also).

Look for the ones with FirstName: Kevin and LastName: Williams

It always works for me.
If that fails, try ones with FirstName: John and LastName: HendersonTwo other DTs I like a lot are

Tommie Harris - next to Ogun, will he be double teamed? He has the motor to get to the QB.

Kris Jenkins - one of the best DT in the game, coming off injury. His NFL value far exceeds his FF value, but he played pretty well in 03 and 04 when healthy.

FWIW, you can usually trade for top DTs at a fair price. KW and Henderson should be the only ones that cost much. OTOH, you can generally pick a decent one up on waivers too.

IOW - if you miss on your top end DTs, wait until the end of the draft.

So who do you guys like at DT from this year's rookie class? I'm presently ranking my top three as:BabineauxCodyPatterson

So who do you guys like at DT from this year's rookie class?

I'm presently ranking my top three as:

Babineaux

Cody

Patterson
In that order? I have looked at them a little bit and everyone else I considered draftable ended up in 3-4's or otherwise unlikeable situations.

Babineaux

Cody

Patterson
In that order? I have looked at them a little bit and everyone else I considered draftable ended up in 3-4's or otherwise unlikeable situations.
All of those guys are in 4-3's that appear to like their DT's to puch upfield and make plays. Babineaux is the one who 1) is the most specialized as a one-gap/up tackle and 2) is in a system that most obviously likes to use guys like him (Atlanta). That's why I put him at the top. But I agree that this is a tough class to rank - there's no obvious stud out there to aim for.

Babineaux

Cody

Patterson
I think Cody could be played at LDE opposite John Hall so I like his chances best. Babineaux seems like he'll be stuck behind Rod Coleman. Patterson seems likely to take over for Simon after this year.If Travis Johnson is eligible as a DT, I might take him over Babineaux and Patterson.

As far as DTs go, I really like Babineaux. He is one of those rare athlete types who has the speed and skills to play LB.That being said, he probably won't get the opportunity to play until Rod Coleman is out of the picture unless they want to go big and squeeze out Brady Smith (at DE).

With Corey Simon an UFA at years end and unlikely to get tagged 2 straight years Patterson has solid dynasty/keeper value as he would be the man to replace him as the under-tackle in the Eagles defense-

As far as DTs go, I really like Babineaux. He is one of those rare athlete types who has the speed and skills to play LB.

That being said, he probably won't get the opportunity to play until Rod Coleman is out of the picture unless they want to go big and squeeze out Brady Smith (at DE).
I agree. I like his scheme, I like his speed, and I like the fact that he's playing on turf, which should only help him shoot gaps.

Babineaux

Cody

Patterson
I think Cody could be played at LDE opposite John Hall so I like his chances best. Babineaux seems like he'll be stuck behind Rod Coleman. Patterson seems likely to take over for Simon after this year.If Travis Johnson is eligible as a DT, I might take him over Babineaux and Patterson.
Travis Johnson would be an easy choice over the others if he didn't go to a 3-4. Not likely to do much in his current situation.

Babineaux

Cody

Patterson
Travis Johnson would be an easy choice over the others if he didn't go to a 3-4. Not likely to do much in his current situation.
The same could be said for Castillo from what I've read about his skills. Too bad he's going to be a NT or a 3-4 DE at best.

I'm not so sure that a 3-4 DE is worse than a 4-3 DT. Guys like Marques Douglas, Aaron Smith, and Richard Seymour have had pretty productive seasons recently playing as 3-4 DEs.

I'm not so sure that a 3-4 DE is worse than a 4-3 DT. Guys like Marques Douglas, Aaron Smith, and Richard Seymour have had pretty productive seasons recently playing as 3-4 DEs.
Obviously we're going to have outliers in each category, both good and bad. In fact, it's those kinds of guys who excel despite their position who tend to be your best pickups. But this thread is best used as a general guide to drafting rookies based upon their role in a scheme, and perhaps to a lesser extent analyzing FA IDP signings by teams. As long as everyone realizes that this discussion is about general trends and not about absolutes, we'll be OK. :)

Obviously we're going to have outliers in each category, both good and bad. In fact, it's those kinds of guys who excel despite their position who tend to be your best pickups. But this thread is best used as a general guide to drafting rookies based upon their role in a scheme, and perhaps to a lesser extent analyzing FA IDP signings by teams. As long as everyone realizes that this discussion is about general trends and not about absolutes, we'll be OK. :)
Exactly. The obvious answers - K-Will, Hendo; aren't much help. I think what we're looking for here is which last round flier DT to take, what system will allow an average starter to produce good FF stats?

in a recent dynasty IDP draft with a few active FBG IDP board members (aaron, bloom, barry jive, reg, oz, wombat, etc), we took patterson with our second pick in the 6th round of 14 team draft. things to like about him (some of this recapping what was said above)...on film he looks lightning quick... may have an elite first step... great motor (he is relentless)... one of the strongest trojans with reported 530 lb bench (almost as strong as me)... should be in rotation a lot in '05 than start if simon moves on in FA as expected... the eagles are so good at drafting replacements 1-2 years ahead (see lewis, shepard & brown draft a few years ago when they drafted 3/4 of their secondary ahead of releases prompted by cap pressures) that it helps to take replacements in line to start with confidence they won't languish on bench for years... he will play in a one-gap, penetrating scheme & may have some sack opps... doesn't hurt that he will have ultra-disruptive jevon kearse on outside.things not to like...he is shy of 6'0" & 290 or less... could get engulfed by bigger OL... i think his quickness & power will offset this issue to an extent... he has innate sense of leverage, & was all-CIF wrestler.i like DTs that can get sacks... not two-gap guys that clog lanes to free up others to make plays (see ted washington)... the capability to get tackles is nice, too... there just aren't a lot of guys like this. the one & two-gap distinction is important one.two up & coming guys i like are darnell dockett & randy starks.of the top young DTs, guys like stroud, henderson & rodgers are better run stuffers & not the sack threats of kevin williams & rod coleman.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as DTs go, I really like Babineaux.  He is one of those rare athlete types who has the speed and skills to play LB.

That being said, he probably won't get the opportunity to play until Rod Coleman is out of the picture unless they want to go big and squeeze out Brady Smith (at DE).
I agree. I like his scheme, I like his speed, and I like the fact that he's playing on turf, which should only help him shoot gaps.
What's to like about Babineaux is his instincts...he's a FB Player and he'll get on the field.He's listed as a DT but there is nothing magic about that....he's gonna play somewhere and DT is just where he's listed on the roster, just an assigned jersey # that allows a "sleeper DT" to turn into a monster defensive player.

Users who are viewing this thread