What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** NFL Draft Thread 2005 (1 Viewer)

Tiz Mardonez

Footballguy
Post any and all comments regarding the NFL draft here.

First round results:

1. San Francisco QB Alex Smith, Utah

2. Miami RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn

3. Cleveland WR Braylon Edwards, Michigan

4. Chicago RB Cedric Benson, Texas

5. Tampa Bay RB Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, Auburn

6. Tennessee CB Adam "Pac-man" Jones, West Virginia

7. Minnesota WR Troy Williamson, South Carolina

8. Arizona CB Antrel Rolle, Miami

9. Washington CB Carlos Rodgers, Auburn

10. Detroit WR Mike Williams, USC

11. Dallas DE/LB DeMarcus Ware, Troy State

12. San Diego DE/LB Shawne Merriman, Maryland

13. New Orleans T Jammal Brown, Oklahoma

14. Carolina LB Thomas Davis, Georgia

15. Kansas City LB Derrick Johnson, Texas

16. Houston DT Travis Johnson, Florida State

17. Cincinnati DE David Pollack, Georgia

18. Minnesota DE Erasmus James, Wisconsin

19. St. Louis T Alex Barron, Florida State

20. Dallas DE Marcus Spears, LSU

21. Jacksonville WR Matt Jones, Arkansas

22. Baltimore WR Mark Clayton, Oklahoma

23. Oakland CB Fabian Washington, Nebraska

24. Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers, Cal

25. Washington QB Jason Campbell, Auburn

26. Seattle C/G Chris Spencer, Mississippi

27. Atlanta WR Roddy White, UAB

28. San Diego DT Luis Castillo, Northwestern

29. Indianapolis CB Marlin Jackson, Michigan

30. Pittsburgh TE Heath Miller, Virginia

31. Philadelphia DT Mike Patterson, USC

32. New England G Logan Mankins, Fresno St.

1 San Francisco David Baas - OC

2 Cleveland Brodney Pool - S

3 Philadelphia Reggie Brown - WR

4 Tampa Bay Barrett Ruud - ILB

5 Detroit Shaun Cody - DT

6 Oakland Stanford Routt - CB

7 Chicago Mark Bradley - WR

8 New Orleans Josh Bullocks - S

9 Tennessee Michael Roos - OT

10 Dallas Kevin Burnett - OLB

11 New York Corey Webster - CB

12 Arizona

13 Carolina

14 Miami

15 New York

16 Cincinnati

17 Minnesota

18 St. Louis

19 Green Bay

20 Jacksonville

21 Baltimore

22 Seattle

23 Buffalo

24 Denver

25 New York

26 Green Bay

27 Atlanta

28 Indianapolis

29 San Diego

30 Pittsburgh

31 Philadelphia

32 New England

Last edited by a moderator:
Sal Pal says that Alex Smith looks to be the target. Now the question is, what teams are trying to trade up with the 49ers.

It just hit me...The top two picks (Mike Williams and Ronnie Brown) on Mel Kiper's board didn't start a single game last year.

:clap: I've been waiting for this thread to pop up. Can we get this thing pinned maybe?
I don't think it will have a problem staying up most of the day;)This will likely be the fifth straight year a QB goes first (Vick, Carr, Palmer, Manning). The last time a QB didn't go first, the Browns took Courtney Brown. The Jets took Chad Pennington at 18, the first QB off the board.

I'm sure the Browns wish they could have taken the top QB that year :P

Madden Next Gen?Is that in lieu of Madden 06? Or is that just a sign that the next generation won't include NFL 2K?

It just hit me...

The top two picks (Mike Williams and Ronnie Brown) on Mel Kiper's board didn't start a single game last year.
I guess that backs up the claim that this year's draft isn't as good as last year's draft. At the same time, Mike Wiliams is awsome and his position is understandable.

You feel bad for anyone who is going to the 49ers......for just a second. Then you realize they hit the lottery and will make a #### load of money. :banned:

You feel bad for anyone who is going to the 49ers......for just a second. Then you realize they hit the lottery and will make a #### load of money.

:banned:
Personally, I'd love to go to the 49ers. They don't have the long history of the Packers or Steelers, but they're certainly one of the storied franchises in the NFL. Factor in the weather and the great QB history, and if I was a QB SF would be on my short list of teams to have the number one pick.(Unless your point is whoever has the number one pick is usually going to be terrible, then I take that all back)

:clap: I've been waiting for this thread to pop up. Can we get this thing pinned maybe?
I don't think it will have a problem staying up most of the day;)This will likely be the fifth straight year a QB goes first (Vick, Carr, Palmer, Manning). The last time a QB didn't go first, the Browns took Courtney Brown. The Jets took Chad Pennington at 18, the first QB off the board.

Or had taken ANY of the next 5 players: Arrington, Samuels, Warrick, Jam Lewis, Corey Simon. Overall a pretty solid top 10 that year.

You feel bad for anyone who is going to the 49ers......for just a second. Then you realize they hit the lottery and will make a #### load of money.

:banned:
Personally, I'd love to go to the 49ers. They don't have the long history of the Packers or Steelers, but they're certainly one of the storied franchises in the NFL. Factor in the weather and the great QB history, and if I was a QB SF would be on my short list of teams to have the number one pick.(Unless your point is whoever has the number one pick is usually going to be terrible, then I take that all back)
The 49ers look like they are going to suck hard for the known future. With that said, you bring up some good points. Great tradition, great city, great weather, and money out the wazoo.

Or had taken ANY of the next 5 players: Arrington, Samuels, Warrick, Jam Lewis, Corey Simon. Overall a pretty solid top 10 that year.
Maybe we're looking at a different list. Arrington has failed to live up to the hype, Samuels hasn't been close to an Ogden/Pace type player, Warrick has been a bust, Jamal Lewis' career has been great when on the field, but he's missed 25% of his team's games. And Simon is good, but not great.Of course, Pennington isn't great either. But he's still pretty raw and has excellent potential. [hijack] Pennington has 1091 pass attempts in his career; David Carr has 1205; Joey Harrington has 1472; Vick has 955 [/hijack]

Maybe we're looking at a different list. Arrington has failed to live up to the hype, Samuels hasn't been close to an Ogden/Pace type player, Warrick has been a bust, Jamal Lewis' career has been great when on the field, but he's missed 25% of his team's games. And Simon is good, but not great.

Of course, Pennington isn't great either. But he's still pretty raw and has excellent potential. [hijack] Pennington has 1091 pass attempts in his career; David Carr has 1205; Joey Harrington has 1472; Vick has 955 [/hijack]
Even though a lot of these guys have failed to live up to the "hype" around them, there is no way in retrospect that Brown was a better pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we're looking at a different list. Arrington has failed to live up to the hype, Samuels hasn't been close to an Ogden/Pace type player, Warrick has been a bust, Jamal Lewis' career has been great when on the field, but he's missed 25% of his team's games. And Simon is good, but not great.

Of course, Pennington isn't great either. But he's still pretty raw and has excellent potential. [hijack] Pennington has 1091 pass attempts in his career; David Carr has 1205; Joey Harrington has 1472; Vick has 955 [/hijack]
Even though a lot of these guys have failed to live up to the "hype" around them. But there is now way in retrospect that Brown was a better pick.
No doubt about that. I wonder a lot about what happenned to Courtney.He was a dominant player in college for sure, and he seemed to be the brains to Arrington's athleticism at PSU. Brown was almost a nerd, while Arrington was a crazy party animal. Brown was a guy that studied and was polite, had a great head on his shoulders and obviously has the physical tools. I wonder what went wrong, because injuries aside, he's still never been very productive. Maybe a change of scenery will help him.

How in the world can the Dolphins really draft based on the thoughts that Ricky will come back? :loco: I take my first guess back....I think Saban will trade down, but not for much. There's little value for the number two pick compared to the number seven, but I could see him trading down a handful of picks and pick up a second.

I'll guess Carnell Williams.
I believe there are two options here...a)trade down

b)take Edwards

I just don't believe they are looking RB here. I think they'll go for the gamebreaker and look to the running back position later in the draft.

Does Chris Berman listen?He just said Miami won't have a pick after this until the 3rd round, right after Hank mentioned the Surtain trade.

What's the bet on the 'Phins pick?

1) Trade Down

2) B. Edwards

3) R. Brown

4) C. Benson

5) C. Williams

6) M. Williams

7) Other
Screw it, go Edwards. If they can't get some semblance of offense with Chambers, Booker, McMichael and Edwards they don't deserve to be in the league. He's probably the BPA right now, even if I'm against QB/WR in the top 10. Sammy Morris was servicable last year at RB, and considering the circumstances, he actually played damn good for the team. If the o-line isn't gonna block, might as well put out as many receivers on the field as possible.

I'll guess Carnell Williams.
I believe there are two options here...a)trade down

b)take Edwards

I just don't believe they are looking RB here. I think they'll go for the gamebreaker and look to the running back position later in the draft.
If Saban learned from Belichick/Parcells, I think Carnell Williams would be the guy he wants. Workhorse RB with great vision and production.

Does Chris Berman listen?

He just said Miami won't have a pick after this until the 3rd round, right after Hank mentioned the Surtain trade.
So it wasn't just me. I thought I must have misheard that. I should know better than to think a Head like Berman actually knows what he's talking about.Wow. Ronnie brown.

Users who are viewing this thread