What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derrick Johnson (1 Viewer)

A few things to note:The SLB job is a competition between DJ and Fujita right now. Fujita is injured, but may be healthy for the season.Gunther will get his top 3 LBs on the field at the same time, meaning it could very well be Fuji/Bell/DJ in the end.Barber is not being counted on, hence Bell 's possible move to WLB. Bell isn't a true MLB, he fits the WLB role better. This is APRIL.

Do you believe everything you read in the paper in April about a season that starts in late August?Fujita's injury is the big X-factor in all of this. If he can come back healthy, I doubt Mitchell sees the starting lineup. Unfortunately, anything can happen in KC with all of the injury problems they have at LB. Fujita, Bell, Masklowski, and Barber have all had serious injuries in the last couple of years. Couple this with the need to win this year and you might find some counter-intuitive decisions being made.I will also add that when a coach NEEDS to win in a given year (and Vermiel and Cunningham do) I find that some wierd decisions get made that are not always best for the team.

Fujita's injury is the big X-factor in all of this. If he can come back healthy, I doubt Mitchell sees the starting lineup.

Unfortunately, anything can happen in KC with all of the injury problems they have at LB. Fujita, Bell, Masklowski, and Barber have all had serious injuries in the last couple of years. Couple this with the need to win this year and you might find some counter-intuitive decisions being made.

I will also add that when a coach NEEDS to win in a given year (and Vermiel and Cunningham do) I find that some wierd decisions get made that are not always best for the team.
DJ is instantly the best cover LB for the Chiefs. In a division where KC will be facing TE's with the likes of Gates and converted WR's in Jeb Putzier and Teyo Johnson a total of six times in '05, you better believe DJ will be asked to help in pass coverage. This may very well translate into DJ being thrusted into the non-FF friendly SLB position.I personally believe Mitchell will keep Fujita on the bench (or in the medical tent).

If Fujita recovers fully from his ankle injury, and it sounds like it is progressing well, Kawika will play from a reserve role. With the injuries to most of our LB's, I imagine **** and Gunther are giving Kawika some encouragement to show up in camp prepared to play. For a 2nd round pick, he seems to take a long time to learn this system.Fujita is the better, smarter player of the two.Fujita, Bell, DJ start.Unfortunatly, I don't think Maslowski ever suits up again.

DJ is instantly the best cover LB for the Chiefs. In a division where KC will be facing TE's with the likes of Gates and converted WR's in Jeb Putzier and Teyo Johnson a total of six times in '05, you better believe DJ will be asked to help in pass coverage. This may very well translate into DJ being thrusted into the non-FF friendly SLB position.

I personally believe Mitchell will keep Fujita on the bench (or in the medical tent).
Barber is (was) also a good coverage linebacker. KC has seriously stepped it up this year after a slow start, although I still see them having coverage issues in their defensive backfield (aside from Surtain).

I would like to hear what kind of career people think DJ will have. I pick late in my IDP dynasty league and we start 4 LBs so I'm thinking of taking him (or the other LB drafted ahead of him.)After the Vikings traded away Randy Moss for the 7th pick, local radio here was talking about how it would be great if Johnson fell to it but that was very unlikely. Then as time passed local, and apparently national, media soured on him and he fell all the way to the Chiefs. Is he actually underrated with a bad combine or was he just overrated at the time?Thanks! :thumbup:

I think Johnson will be a good pro, but I think he needs to do some work to be great. 1) He had a reputation for being a freelancer, this is coachable, however but doesnt work well in the NFL.2) More important, he runs around defenders instead of taking them on. That might play in college, but it won't play in the NFL. He needs to become tougher, not just athletic, if he is going to take that next step.He has the raw talent to be great, but I am not sure he has perrenial pro-bowler tatooed on his chest yet.

I would like to hear what kind of career people think DJ will have. I pick late in my IDP dynasty league and we start 4 LBs so I'm thinking of taking him (or the other LB drafted ahead of him.)

After the Vikings traded away Randy Moss for the 7th pick, local radio here was talking about how it would be great if Johnson fell to it but that was very unlikely. Then as time passed local, and apparently national, media soured on him and he fell all the way to the Chiefs. Is he actually underrated with a bad combine or was he just overrated at the time?

Thanks! :thumbup:
Was his combine that bad?Paralysis by overanalysis. The guy is a playmaker, period.

I would like to hear what kind of career people think DJ will have. I pick late in my IDP dynasty league and we start 4 LBs so I'm thinking of taking him (or the other LB drafted ahead of him.)

After the Vikings traded away Randy Moss for the 7th pick, local radio here was talking about how it would be great if Johnson fell to it but that was very unlikely. Then as time passed local, and apparently national, media soured on him and he fell all the way to the Chiefs. Is he actually underrated with a bad combine or was he just overrated at the time?

Was his combine that bad?Paralysis by overanalysis. The guy is a playmaker, period.
I was actually surprised DJ's performance at the combine didn't get more positive press. The guy reported 10lbs+ heavier than expected plus ran two blazing 40s in the 4.50-4.52 range. His short-shuttle was even more impressive with a 3.87 clocking. For good measure, DJ popped-off a 37 1/2" vertical.

I saw his highlight reel on another FBG thread and noticed some disturbing things about him. He doesnt hit and he doesn't wrap up. Yeah sure, he's absolutely everywhere and is very fast, but all of his tackles are soft and he never squared up to blast anyone off their feet. This is why I think he will be a SLB in the NFL.

The one thing that makes DJ unique is his ability to force fumbles.

His diving, with a back side hack, technique is considered his trade mark move....in college, that is.

It remains to be seen if it's a game breaker in the pros. It's risky busness missing the tackle while your going for the TO at the Pro level.

I saw his highlight reel on another FBG thread and noticed some disturbing things about him. He doesnt hit and he doesn't wrap up. Yeah sure, he's absolutely everywhere and is very fast, but all of his tackles are soft and he never squared up to blast anyone off their feet. This is why I think he will be a SLB in the NFL.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Just because he was a man among boys in college, with his playing style, I am not so sure that is going to translate to "stud" status in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread