What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The countup to 3000 hits (2 Viewers)

Righetti

Footballguy
1775 total career hits aftter going 2 for 5 last night..only 1225 to go...guys with more hits than him who I think have a chance to get 3000Palmiero had 2922 going into the season and at 39 should still get thereBonds is at 2730 but considering the walks he will not get thereBiggio at 38 was at 2639 but I doubt he'll stick around long enoughother guys with more hits than The Captain with their agesSosa had 2220 at 35Sheffield has 2175 at 35Pudge had 2051 at age 32...:wow:Garrett Anderson 1776 at age 32 (more than I would have guessed)Manny Ramirez 1760 at age 32

Last edited by a moderator:
Yanks vs Mariners this afternoon at 1pm..Jamie Moyer on the mound..career 68 at bats and 19 hits, 3 doubles and 2 HR's with 3RBI adn 5 walks.302 career batting average.. could be a chance to ge that total need down to 1222

1775 total career hits aftter going 2 for 5 last night..

only 1225 to go...

guys with more hits than him who I think have a chance to get 3000

Palmiero had 2922 going into the season and at 39 should still get there

Bonds is at 2730 but considering the walks he will not get there

Biggio at 38 was at 2639 but I doubt he'll stick around long enough

other guys with more hits than The Captain with their ages

Sosa had 2220 at 35

Sheffield has 2175 at 35

Pudge had 2051 at age 32...:wow:

Garrett Anderson 1776 at age 32 (more than I would have guessed)

Manny Ramirez 1760 at age 32
How old is Jeter?

only 1225 to go...

Sosa had 2220 at 35

Sheffield has 2175 at 35

How old is Jeter?
31 in June

Even being at a huge disadvantage due to his late start, I would not rule out Ichiro from the 3,000 hit debate.Through age 30 (and 4 seasons) he had 924 hits (an average of 231 hits per season). He'd probably have to play until he was 40 or 41, but he gets so many at bats I wouldn't rule it out of the question.

Are you going to attempt to follow all of his hits in this thread for the next 7-8 years?

:yawn:
that is the thoughtthe hope is to create the longest lasting thread on the sharkpool

Are you going to attempt to follow all of his hits in this thread for the next 7-8 years?

that is the thoughtthe hope is to create the longest lasting thread on the sharkpool
The Shark Pool is one door over, but you were close. I think that they talk about football over there anyway. So please take this Jeter lovefest somewhere else. :metsfan:

The Shark Pool is one door over, but you were close. I think that they talk about football over there anyway. So please take this Jeter lovefest somewhere else. :metsfan:
Don't listen to these jealous bastids! He could get to 4,000 with some health and some luck! :yes:

Do these totals include the 759 "intangible" hits?

:rolleyes:

In important news, the World Champion Boston Red Sox just went back to back walk-off.

only 1225 to go...

Sosa had 2220 at 35

Sheffield has 2175 at 35

Raffy needs 55 to make him even more of a lock for the HoF than he already is...

2 for 6 yesterday.. kept the recent hitting streak alive although he had 3 K's and left 4 on base1785 for the career

Jeter 0-5 yestrdaystuck at 1785we could add a few other players to this thread to keep them comingI will keep the stats for the Yankees if somebody else would like to keep stats for other players

A-Rod (as of 5/17/05)1757 for his career (including a 2-4 night on 5/17)Jeter (as of 5/17/05)1785 for his career (including an 0-5 night on 5/17)

2 for 3 for Jeter today..game still going on but I know you guys want to know..1787 for the career and counting1 for 2 for A-Rod already

for the purpose of this thread why don't you just pick the player who is closest and still healthy and playing every day and track him until he gets it...then once he gets it go to the next closest and track him...that'd be a lot better than tracking guys who are over 1000 hits away.

Frank Thomas at 37 probably won't make it but he will end up with awesome OBS BA and Home Runs and RBI's if he gets 4-5 more decent seasons in. He has had some freak injuries these last few years and is one of the players hurt most by the inflated stats from the steroid boys IMO. I also feel he isn't a steroid user since he was so huge coming in from Auburn as a football and baseball player and is a workout freak. G ---- AB -- --R --H-------2B---3B-HR - RBI -- BB----K--SB-CS AVG OBP SLG OPS 1925 6851 1308 2113 444 11 436 1439 1450 1134 32 23 .308 .429 .567 .996

the closest is like Rafael Palmiero who I don't care for specificallyI'll keep it a Jeter affairto update the post I gave yesterdayfinished the day at 2 for 5 and finished with 1787 total hits

I did a search on google and about 1/2 the websites say its Frank the other say its Dean Martin... interestingI really don't know where to go for the official source

tough weekend for Jeter0-5 on Friday and left a ton of guys on base0-2 on Saturday before getting plunked on the elbow0-0 today.. only used as a pinch runner

Jeter going through a tough streak right now0-4 last nighthas gone hitless in his last 13 at bats.stuck at 1787 hits for the career.batting average has dropped from .327 to .299 from May 15th

IMO - Jeter will not get 3000 hits.Players who I think have a shot (other than the obvious Palmeiro):Pujols - 787 after 4 seasons (24 years old)A-Rod - 1707 after 11 seasons (28 years old)Juan Pierre - 859 after 5 seasons (26 years old)However, its really still to early to tell with these guys. You have to play a LONG time to reach 3000.

IMO - Jeter will not get 3000 hits.

Players who I think have a shot (other than the obvious Palmeiro):

Pujols - 787 after 4 seasons (24 years old)

A-Rod - 1707 after 11 seasons (28 years old)

Juan Pierre - 859 after 5 seasons (26 years old)

However, its really still to early to tell with these guys.  You have to play a LONG time to reach 3000.
I'm curious as to why you don't believe he will get to 3,000 hits. He will only be 31 in a few days and should easily finish with over 1,900 hits this year.His 162 game average throughout his career is 206 hits. Barring injury, that will get him to 3,000 before his 37th birthday. If Jeter is not spectacular, he is extremely consistent. If he cuts down on the strikeouts and stays healthy into his early 40's, he could actually attain 4,000 hits. I'm not saying it will happen, but it certainly could.

IMO - Jeter will not get 3000 hits.

Players who I think have a shot (other than the obvious Palmeiro):

Pujols - 787 after 4 seasons (24 years old)

A-Rod - 1707 after 11 seasons (28 years old)

Juan Pierre - 859 after 5 seasons (26 years old)

However, its really still to early to tell with these guys.  You have to play a LONG time to reach 3000.
I'm curious as to why you don't believe he will get to 3,000 hits. He will only be 31 in a few days and should easily finish with over 1,900 hits this year.His 162 game average throughout his career is 206 hits. Barring injury, that will get him to 3,000 before his 37th birthday. If Jeter is not spectacular, he is extremely consistent. If he cuts down on the strikeouts and stays healthy into his early 40's, he could actually attain 4,000 hits. I'm not saying it will happen, but it certainly could.
Jeter has played 10 years, 8 of them 'full' seasons. In the 8 seasons he played he avg'd 196 hits. If he maintained that avg for the next 4 years (including this season) that would put him at 2518 at age 34 (35 in June).Omar Vizquel is the only shortstop that I can think of that is still a starter at that age (he's 37), and that is because he's one of the best fielding shortstops in baseball history.

Jeter IMO is an above avg fielding shortstop right now, but that's it. 4 years from now will he still be able to cut it at short? A-Rod will be 32 - going on 33 at that point so I think its unlikely he's moved on or vacated the 3B position. So that's one issue.

The second issue is that we've assumed he'll maintain that 196 hit average. At this point he doesn't seem to be slowing down, but he will eventually, its just a matter of when.

Another negative is he doesn't have a ton of power. A lot of the 3000 club are able to maintain their careers because even if the batting avg suffers, they still have some pop. This won't be the case for Jeter, he'll need to continue to stay a .300 hitter throughout his career. (which, in retrospect, severely damages Juan Pierre's chances)

Finally, so at 34 going on 35 he still needs 482 hits. Which means he'd have to at least play 3 full seasons or play part time in several more seasons. Which means he'd have to be a full time player until age 38 or a part-timer into his 40s. Jeter is already a very rich man, do you think he'll still want to be playing at that age?

Its just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if he makes it. Of course its certainly not out of the question, but personally I'd give him a 10% chance.

Users who are viewing this thread