What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DirecTV to charge extra for HD games this year (1 Viewer)

There is an alternative to DirectTV that not too many people have mentioned. I've never tried it so maybe it just isn't a viable option. However, if you get a big dish satellite, there are at least a few Fox and CBS stations broadcasting for free. You may not get every game, but if you can locate local affiliates in most major cities then you could approach getting Sunday ticket for free - legally. Of course you haved the up front cost of the big dish.

http://www.lyngsat.com - Link to Big Dish station directory

Last edited by a moderator:
the galaxy 10 bird seems to carry quite a few locals from other markets. one will need a dish bigger than the 18" ones from dtv and dish, however. and i'm sure a motor will help in picking up more than one bird. pansat over-the-air receivers are coming down in price as dish moves to nagra2 encryption. thanks for the idea, this may be a viable alternative for the fantasy football and satellite hobbyist, rather than giving dave more money.

the galaxy 10 bird seems to carry quite a few locals from other markets. one will need a dish bigger than the 18" ones from dtv and dish, however. and i'm sure a motor will help in picking up more than one bird. pansat over-the-air receivers are coming down in price as dish moves to nagra2 encryption. thanks for the idea, this may be a viable alternative for the fantasy football and satellite hobbyist, rather than giving dave more money.
:nerd:

i've already paid dave $3500 :bag: so i guess i'm already pot committed.

I don't have a HD tv. I was wondering if DTV is going to require you to also subscribe to a DTV package or can you just order sunday ticket. I suspended my DTV package and Kind of got use to not paying $40 per month of stuff I don't watch. I'm willing to pay 215 but not 400 to watch football.

Wow, 9 pages with of lost D* customers on my favorite HD message board (AVS forum). I hope this greed severely backfires on DirecTV.

AVS Forum ST Topic
Thanks for the link Jim,this forum has been very interesting the last few days. :thumbup:
i read the AVS forum topic, which inspired me to call DTV customer retention. the CSR gave met $60 off the superfan price. not the $100 discount i hoped for, but better than the $50 i would have accepted.$199 renewal + $39 superfan = not that bad.

I don't have a HD tv. I was wondering if DTV is going to require you to also subscribe to a DTV package or can you just order sunday ticket. I suspended my DTV package and Kind of got use to not paying $40 per month of stuff I don't watch. I'm willing to pay 215 but not 400 to watch football.
I think this year they will require you to also subscribe to a DTV package. When I was moving last year I was told that I would not be able to get the Ticket alone any more. So I canceled it.

Just got off the phone with DirecTV. After explaining what is actually happening to the (very nice but somewhat clueless) CSR, I was offered 1/2 off the SuperFan package. Close, but no cigar. Considering the auto-renewal rate of $199, this would represent a 25% price increase for what I had last year (I ascribe zero value to the other bells and whistles in the SuperFan package).I told her I would think about it, but would be immediately cancelling HBO and the HD packages to send a message. Also, I would be checking out E-Bay tonight to see what the HD receiver I had to purchase would fetch.Given that cable seems to have realized that they were bleeding subscribers to satellite and are now offering bigtime incentives (e.g., HDTivos at $5/month, or so I'm told), I may have to play the game and switch back to Time Warner. My local TWC finally added ESPN HD sometime over the last 10 months, and it might be nice to have local channels again.Perhaps if enough people refuse to pony up $$$ for the privilege of Sunday Ticket w/HD they'll change their tune. For now I'll bide my time and see if their 1/2 off price doesn't improve.I'd encourage everyone to call the DirecTV customer retention number at 800-600-8977 to at least voice your displeasure. Who knows, if you've been a DirecTV/ST subscriber for long enough, you may get full off on the Superfan HD offering.

$220's a pretty healthy price increase in itself, isn't it?  Wasn't it around $180 last year?

*looks at calendar* It's about time they start the payments in advance, too, isn't it?  Always loved that part.
I was just thinking the same thing. About 30% increase without the extra $99.Double lame in that ALL TV will be in HD eventually, so why act like it is something special that should cost more.

I'd say I might dump it, but I doubt that would pan out as true. I'm too used to watching the Steelers each week.
I bit the bullet and cancelled the Ticket. I've had it for a few years. 10-15% increases were one thing, 30% was too much.

Been a DirecTV customer for about five years. Got DirecTV especially to get the ticket. I haven't been happy with the price increases the last couple of years. My situation is that I'm building a new house that will be done at the end of the year. I don't currently have a HD set, but will buy one when I move into the new house. I'm not about to go through the hassle of installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the equipment, plus moving a bulky set twice. I figure I can live with standard def for now and move to HD in the new place.So I figured DirecTV would be the way to go for Hi-Def in the new place, up until when I started researching it recently: Hi-Def local channels have to come in through an antennae, have to buy an expensive box, the Hi-Def package is an extra $10 a month, (ESPN HD, but a general crapfest after that), etc. Now with the extra $100 a year just for the Hi-Def ticket, I think I'm going to get cable in the new place instead of a dish.So I called DirecTV today. After jumping through a maze of touch-tone options, I finally got an operator. I said "I'd like to cancel my Sunday Ticket Subscription due to the outrageous increase in price for the Hi-Def ticket." Her response? "Done. Can I do anything else for you today?" No effort at all to retain me. So I asked to speak to the customer retention department.When I got the customer retenetion department I told the guy my situation. Basically that I was moving and instead of having DirecTV installed, it would be cable, with a large portion of my disatisfcation tied to the Hi-Def ticket increase. This prompted him to go into a diatribe about the cost of expanding their Hi-Def programming. They've recently launched several satelites he explained, which costs "hundreds of millions" a piece. In the past, their Hi-Def coverage was limited, as was their costs, but now that the coverage is expanding, they have to charge for everything hi-def. I responded by saying that each of their competitors is faced with the same overhead to build that hi-def infrastructure. Seeing as how the move to Hi-Def is federally mandated, I certainlly didn't expect them to pass the cost on to me. At that point, he offered me the $99 ticket Hi-Def package for free. I didn't take it, because I have no idea if I'll be in the new house by football season, and might not have Hi-Def. So he offered six free months of HBO instead, which I took.I figure I'm going to go the sports bar route for football season this year. I've already cancelled the ticket for this year on principal. When I move into the new place, I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether I want DirecTV or cable. Sure they'd comp it this year, but if I go with DirecTV, I'm looking at paying $320 and up per year to catch football. Cable is sounding like a better alternative, even if it means no ticket.I think my situation is close to everyone else's. I'm a football junkie. I've had the ticket for a long time. Sure, we can all call and complain and get some of the price increase back this year. But what happens long term? How much are you willing to pay, year in-year out for the ticket? What happens three or four years down the road when the Hi-Def Ticket price is $500? The sports bar is looking better and better.

I've been way too busy the last couple of weeks at work, and this is the first I've heard of this increase. I'll probably drop the ticket this year. :(

Bell Expressvu from Canada.

The direct ticket is 179.00 Canadian ( around 144.00 US) and the HD package is 10.00 Canadian (8.00 US).

The cost of a receiver is 115.00 can or about 90 US.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/PrsShpTvPPV_Sports.page

On your way to Bell World in Canada get yourself a PO box at Mail Boxes Etc.

When activating the receiver just say your doing it from your cottage.

If you are serious about cancelling the Sunday Ticket and/or Directv entirely, there is a concerted effort going on here $99 Fee Protest to send Directv the message that the price increases are unacceptable.

This just sucks.....I ordered DTV and was going to order the ticket, but like others have said....it is just to much.I would feel like I was losing money if I got up to take a piss durning the commercial!! :hot:

Conservatively say you spend $20 per sports bar visit every week ($340 total). You are still saving with the Ticket. Unless you just want to see the games your local affiliates feed you but that's not enough to quench my appetite. To each their own :towelwave:

Personally, I don't have HDTV, and don't plan on getting it for years, until it's both simple and affordable, so this new programming package doesn't really affect me.

I am more bummed by having to pay $219 for the "special early bird discount" this season. Also still bummed about the blackout of local games, as I don't get my local channels through DirecTV. It's a real pain in the #### to turn the DTV tuner off and tune in the local channels. That's not channel surfing; it's building a sand castle out of crabs.

All that said, one feature of the new package looks pretty swell, and makes me envy those who care not how wide their wazoo is from all the paying through it:

NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Short Cuts are commercial-free games showing every play in 30 minutes or less on channels 701 - 704.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Short Cuts will be available after the conclusion of all NFL Sunday games starting at approximately midnight ET Sunday.

Nice. I wonder if games that had been on local TV are blacked out.

All this is ### backwards!I only have direct tv because of the sunday ticket. Last year in December, locals finally came on in Vermont. I did all the necessary work (New Dish, New receiver, new wiring etc to have locals (although through one of the customer reps on D-tv had told me that with my new $399.00 HDTV receiver, I did not need a new dish)Got locals & still had long distance feeds. I pay $10.99 per month to have the networks in HD (distant feeds).Fast forward to the spring, a mere 4 months later. Long distance feeds are cut off, which included the majority of the HD Networks. I was furious. I make a call...Apparently, a letter was sent out saying I had to choose what I wanted (locals or distant)...never got the letter...If you did not respond, they D-TV makes a decisionsCant for you....finally after numerous calls, I have the distant networks back on & the HD programming..But no locals???? I cannot have both???Before it was locals no matter what to protect the local markert..now I get the distant feeds but no locals? I am willing to pay for the locals..Can't keep both?? Any help on this sat gurus???Now with charging more HD programming for Sunday Ticket??? It was part of the package last year? Direct TV will hear from me! :rant:

[programming..But no locals???? I cannot have both???

Before it was locals no matter what to protect the local markert..now I get the distant feeds but no locals? I am willing to pay for the locals..Can't keep both?? Any help on this sat gurus???

Now with charging more HD programming for Sunday Ticket??? It was part of the package last year? Direct TV will hear from me!
default_ranting.gif'

why don't you just get a hd antenna ($30 anywhere, they even have the indoor type that is only a foot long) and get your hd locals for free.

:yes:

I can't. I am in the mountains. Cannot get locals of an antenna. Went through hoops in 1998 with all the locals & getting waivers. I am sure also that there is no way that Burlington will offer local HD programming!

I just did something I never in my wildest dreams thought I would do.

I signed an on-line petition :bag:

I only did it because I think that the information, in particular the potential lost revenue, will get back to DirecTV and that they might change their policy.

As it stands, I've made one call to Customer Retention and the best they would offer was to reduce the "SuperFan" charge by half.

I told them it was not good enough and that I would be immediately canceling both HBO and the HD package. I've already got 4 Samsung TS SIR 360 HD receivers on my e-bay watch list (one's at around $150, better than I would have imagined).

Next step is to wait for them to put autorenewal of ST on my bill. Then I call and if they won't give me the full $99 credit for ST HD, I'm gone.

I'll sell the HD receiver - which will be obsolete soon anyhow - keep the other two receivers and the dish and go to cable.

Been a DirecTV customer for about five years. Got DirecTV especially to get the ticket. I haven't been happy with the price increases the last couple of years.

My situation is that I'm building a new house that will be done at the end of the year. I don't currently have a HD set, but will buy one when I move into the new house. I'm not about to go through the hassle of installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the equipment, plus moving a bulky set twice. I figure I can live with standard def for now and move to HD in the new place.

So I figured DirecTV would be the way to go for Hi-Def in the new place, up until when I started researching it recently: Hi-Def local channels have to come in through an antennae, have to buy an expensive box, the Hi-Def package is an extra $10 a month, (ESPN HD, but a general crapfest after that), etc. Now with the extra $100 a year just for the Hi-Def ticket, I think I'm going to get cable in the new place instead of a dish.

So I called DirecTV today. After jumping through a maze of touch-tone options, I finally got an operator. I said "I'd like to cancel my Sunday Ticket Subscription due to the outrageous increase in price for the Hi-Def ticket." Her response? "Done. Can I do anything else for you today?" No effort at all to retain me. So I asked to speak to the customer retention department.

When I got the customer retenetion department I told the guy my situation. Basically that I was moving and instead of having DirecTV installed, it would be cable, with a large portion of my disatisfcation tied to the Hi-Def ticket increase. This prompted him to go into a diatribe about the cost of expanding their Hi-Def programming. They've recently launched several satelites he explained, which costs "hundreds of millions" a piece. In the past, their Hi-Def coverage was limited, as was their costs, but now that the coverage is expanding, they have to charge for everything hi-def.

I responded by saying that each of their competitors is faced with the same overhead to build that hi-def infrastructure. Seeing as how the move to Hi-Def is federally mandated, I certainlly didn't expect them to pass the cost on to me.

At that point, he offered me the $99 ticket Hi-Def package for free. I didn't take it, because I have no idea if I'll be in the new house by football season, and might not have Hi-Def. So he offered six free months of HBO instead, which I took.

I figure I'm going to go the sports bar route for football season this year. I've already cancelled the ticket for this year on principal. When I move into the new place, I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether I want DirecTV or cable. Sure they'd comp it this year, but if I go with DirecTV, I'm looking at paying $320 and up per year to catch football. Cable is sounding like a better alternative, even if it means no ticket.

I think my situation is close to everyone else's. I'm a football junkie. I've had the ticket for a long time. Sure, we can all call and complain and get some of the price increase back this year. But what happens long term? How much are you willing to pay, year in-year out for the ticket? What happens three or four years down the road when the Hi-Def Ticket price is $500? The sports bar is looking better and better.
Depends on how much you spend at the bar. $400/year to watch any game I want in HD is a lot cheaper than me going out to a bar for 17 weeks. My decision is easy to make though. in addition to still being cheaper than the bar, my alternative is Adelphia cable. Their "digital" cable is at best on par with old school cable and their customer service is second to none as the poorest. This will be my first year with the HD ticket, and I'll pay for it. Sorry it disrupts the consumer's power but I'll at least tell them my feelings on it, especially future price increases. Everytime I call in to complain about something they usually bend over backwards to help. I can always get something from them. That'll have to do this year, the benefits ouweigh the costs for me. Not a chance in hell I give Adelphia one red cent more than I have to. They're already the only high speed option

Depends on how much you spend at the bar. $400/year to watch any game I want in HD is a lot cheaper than me going out to a bar for 17 weeks.
Comparing purchasing ST/HD to going to a bar and spending money is comparing apples to oranges.First, your bar does not make you pay for all 17 weeks in advance in 4 installmentsSecond, if you miss a week at the bar, you don't have to send them what you would have spentThird, you receive beer and/or food for the money you spend at the barRationalize it any way you want if that's what you need to do in order to make your decision. But you don't have to justify your purchase of ST to anyone (OK, maybe you've got some selling to do to your wife or signficant other).I'm not encouraging anyone to not buy the Ticket, with or without HD. I'm just encouraging people to make an effort to (1) express your displeasure at the 50% price increase (for those of you that enjoyed ST with HD last year) and (2) try to get DirecTV to rethink their pricing policy.If I do end up cancelling the ticket this year, hopefully all of us will benefit next year in the form of lower pricing. Long term, I think DirecTV is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. I think they are already losing longtime current subscribers and making it much more difficult to attact potential subscribers that were looking at DirecTV because of Sunday Ticket.

From the linked petition:

Standard Definition subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket: · All available NFL games · SUPERFAN premium tier - $99 optional upgrade to receive the extra features new this yearHigh Definition subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket: · Must subscribe to the $99 SUPERFAN package in order to receive the NFL games.
Is it true that HDTV users "[m]ust subscribe to the $99 SUPERFAN package in order to receive the NFL games" ?? Or must they subscribe to SUPERFAN to get HD games?If it's the former, I'd be really miffed.If it's the latter, it's just another price hike. The petition site seems a bit hyperbolic to me. Calling an exhorbitant rate hike a "tax" makes the creators seem a bit loopy (or at least loony).

Wow guys. Spend bunches of money on a system that has no requirements to be broadcast, yet. And then complain that they want to charge you for the extra service. So what they gave it for free last year. They also give people HBO for free for 3 months and then they start charging.If ya spent big money for a TV, you will/should be able to spend more for the signal.

They've just priced themselves out of my interest level.Since between season tickets and being away from home on the holidays, I can only count on using my Sunday Ticket for half the season, this puts it at about $40 a week.The big reason I'm on DTV was the Ticket. If I'm not getting it, then cable is suddenly a consideration. And instead of shelling out $700-$1000 for an HD receiver with Tivo (to replace my current HD one), I can get an HD-tivo cable box for $5 a month from the cable company. I love DirecTV over cable, but their pricing schemes are leaving Time Warner cable as being a much better option for me now. I'm going to give the customer retention line a call and see what they'll do, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about it.Edit to add: Doh, biggest downside is no NFL Network on Time Warner.

If ya spent big money for a TV, you will/should be able to spend more for the signal.
There's a pretty big difference between 'should be able to' and 'are willing to.' I believe I pulled in 80-90 HD games last year through Time Warner Cable (including playoffs) so I see little benefit in paying an exorbitant HD fee, on top of an exorbitant Sunday Ticket package rate, on top of an exorbitant DirecTV base package which doesn't include locals, on top of ridiculous equipment costs. I get my HD box from TWC for $5.95 per month and an entire package of HD channels (including ESPN HD) for $9.99/mos, and I get all the HD football I can watch. D* on the other hand expects its customers to foot the bill on $1000+ worth of HD equipment. D* is nowhere in the ballpark of TWC when it comes to delivering HD in a cost effective manner.

Before it was locals no matter what to protect the local markert..now I get the distant feeds but no locals? I am willing to pay for the locals..Can't keep both?? Any help on this sat gurus???
Without writing a novel, in summary no you cannot have both. It has nothing to do with DirecTV. Congress passed an act in the fall that provided the new "rules" on out of market television distribution. As you have been informed you either can have out of market stations (currently the only way to get HD network stations from DirecTV) or your local stations, but not both. DirecTV is really just following these rules and if they did not they stand to be issued some pretty huge fines.The good news is in the next 2 years they will be providing HD locals and this whole issue will be moot. The larger markets should be on line before the end of this year with the remainder being added over the next 2 years.

From the linked petition:

Standard Definition subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket:

· All available NFL games

· SUPERFAN premium tier - $99 optional upgrade to receive the extra features new this year

High Definition subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket:

· Must subscribe to the $99 SUPERFAN package in order to receive the NFL games.
Is it true that HDTV users "[m]ust subscribe to the $99 SUPERFAN package in order to receive the NFL games" ?? Or must they subscribe to SUPERFAN to get HD games?If it's the former, I'd be really miffed.

If it's the latter, it's just another price hike.

The petition site seems a bit hyperbolic to me. Calling an exhorbitant rate hike a "tax" makes the creators seem a bit loopy (or at least loony).
It is the latter, you need the superfan to get the HD games and other interactive "stuff". Just another price hike to the tune of roughly 75% :shock: :eek: :X

I've been pricing e-bay sales for the HD receiver I have. One just went for roughly 2/3 of what I paid back in August. Assuming I could pull in about the same for mine - and its in pristine condition - that would imply a $10/month lease fee for the unit over the 12 months of my committment.Switching costs just went down dramatically. :thumbup: Not to mention all of the issues with picture quality that DirecTV has been exhibiting over the last 1/2 year or so. I am not qualified to speak to it technically (you can check out the AVS link earlier in this thread if you are interested), but I can say without fear of contradiction that the picture quality on DirecTV's HD transmission has degraded notably over the year. Standard Definition appears to be worse as well, especially the games on Sunday Ticket last year that weren't available on HD. Perhaps it will get better as the additional HD satellites that DirecTV are putting up come on line. But what really put the fear of God into me was an upcoming switch in the HD technology to something called MPEG-4. There's no way I'm buying another expensive receiver, particularly if they're going to gouge on HD pricing. If the cable companies are willing to subsidize the switch to HD and offer more HD programming (with the notable exception of Sunday Ticket), I've got to at least seriously consider switching back.

Not to mention all of the issues with picture quality that DirecTV has been exhibiting over the last 1/2 year or so. I am not qualified to speak to it technically (you can check out the AVS link earlier in this thread if you are interested), but I can say without fear of contradiction that the picture quality on DirecTV's HD transmission has degraded notably over the year. Standard Definition appears to be worse as well, especially the games on Sunday Ticket last year that weren't available on HD. Perhaps it will get better as the additional HD satellites that DirecTV are putting up come on line.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Wonder if it's an attempt to get people to believe regular tv is not as good? Or they just have too much stuff in the pipes and dropped the res?

The first year I had Sunday ticket, it cost $79. It has been going up ever since so no, this doesn't surprise me in the least. :ph34r:

I just hit the DirecTV website and saw the pricing for Sunday Ticket is out for 2005. It's about $220 for anyone who subscribed last year,
Anybody got a link for the $220 renewal? I haven't been able to confirm this yet, and have heard elsewhere that renewal will be $199, but haven't been able to confirm that either.I dunno. I never thought I'd seriously consider dumping the package, but I dunno. Not made of money here. Does NFL Channel come with Total Choice, or does one have to subscribe to Sunday Ticket to get it?

I just cancelled my cable and switched to DTV. Ill be getting the football package (not the high def) .Its the only game in town, DTV has monopolized the nfl, if you want to see the games you have to get dtv.

I just hit the DirecTV website and saw the pricing for Sunday Ticket is out for 2005. It's about $220 for anyone who subscribed last year,
Anybody got a link for the $220 renewal? I haven't been able to confirm this yet, and have heard elsewhere that renewal will be $199, but haven't been able to confirm that either.I dunno. I never thought I'd seriously consider dumping the package, but I dunno. Not made of money here.

Does NFL Channel come with Total Choice, or does one have to subscribe to Sunday Ticket to get it?
I am getting the Ticket again this year and am being charged $199. Not getting the HD, just the standard package. I rationalize it out by knowing that if I went to just one NFL game, theres a good chance i'd spend $200 for just 1 game with parking, tickets, beer, more beer etc....

Anybody got a link for the $220 renewal? I haven't been able to confirm this yet, and have heard elsewhere that renewal will be $199, but haven't been able to confirm that either.I dunno. I never thought I'd seriously consider dumping the package, but I dunno. Not made of money here.

Does NFL Channel come with Total Choice, or does one have to subscribe to Sunday Ticket to get it?
The NFL Channel is part of DirecTV's regular package - for now anyway, you don't have to buy the Ticket to get it.

Conservatively say you spend $20 per sports bar visit every week ($340 total). You are still saving with the Ticket. Unless you just want to see the games your local affiliates feed you but that's not enough to quench my appetite.

To each their own

:towelwave:
Basically I agree with this guy.I sold my Eagles season tix for this year to purchase a big screen hi def TV along with direct tv and the sunday tix. Just bought a new home.

I spend at least 100 dollars every eagles home game on beer and food for tailgating and of course parking. So in my situation it is actually cheaper.

Now we all know we spend more than 20 dollars at the sports bar so again i think it works out. but like he said, to each is their own.

bottom line is im looking forward to finally getting the ticket.

Curious - does the NFL/ESPN/whoever offer a package that let's you see highlights on your PC "shortly" after they occur? I've got ST now and I'm starting to rethink my strategy of madly flipping between games. Even with the Redzone setup I still miss a lot of the scores. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather sit at the PC, watch the local game, and watch"near-live" highlights. I could train myself out of the Pavlovian reflex of checking the scores on the TV when the tone goes off. :crazy:

This might be a stupid question but here goes ..... I have Comcast Cable and want to keep it for my regular TV programming. Can I order Direct TV and get their box and only use it for the NFL Ticket? Will I only have to pay for the NFL Ticket? I have had Direct TV before but I switched to comcast. I do miss the NFL Ticket, :popcorn:

This might be a stupid question but here goes ..... I have Comcast Cable and want to keep it for my regular TV programming. Can I order Direct TV and get their box and only use it for the NFL Ticket? Will I only have to pay for the NFL Ticket? I have had Direct TV before but I switched to comcast. I do miss the NFL Ticket, :popcorn:
No. You can't just get NFL ST. There may still be some people that were "grandfathered" in and are allowed to only subscribe to the ST. But everyone else has to subscribe to at least their basic package (Total choice?).

This might be a stupid question but here goes ..... I have Comcast Cable and want to keep it for my regular TV programming. Can I order Direct TV and get their box and only use it for the NFL Ticket? Will I only have to pay for the NFL Ticket? I have had Direct TV before but I switched to comcast. I do miss the NFL Ticket,  :popcorn:
No. You can't just get NFL ST. There may still be some people that were "grandfathered" in and are allowed to only subscribe to the ST. But everyone else has to subscribe to at least their basic package (Total choice?).
Contrary to popular belief, this is wrong. According to DirecTV terms and conditions:
Sports, A La Carte and Pay Per View Programming

Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. To receive sports programming and to order pay per view by remote, a DIRECTV subscription is required (except NFL SUNDAY TICKET) and all DIRECTV Receivers must be continuously connected to the same land-based phone line. There is an additional $1.50 charge when pay per view events and movies are ordered by phone utilizing the automated ordering system or an additional $5.00 charge for an operator-assisted order. Pay per event purchase price is non-refundable. Most sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services, unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season. Commercial locations require an appropriate license agreement. Commercial signal theft is subject to civil and criminal penalties.

And can be found here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Legal.jsp
One guy in the AVS forum said he was told he needed a base package, but DirecTV caved once he pointed out that their terms and conditions explicitly say otherwise. If MoveTheChains wants ST and ST only, he should request this and point to the same language if he's given the expected runaround from some minimum wage CSR. They really should follow their terms and conditions or otherwise change them if they want to require a base sub.

What really sucks is when there are multiple blackouts, I live 30 minutes north of Daytona and they blackout Tampa games and Jax games, just doesn't seem fair, does anyone else experience this?As far as the rate increase it really blows but they have me by the short ones, by half time I can't tell the difference with HD through my beer goggles anyway and it's not worth risking a DUI to go to a bar. I will kep paying whatever they charge because it still saves me money in the long run.

It does suck that the price went up, but really, all you can do is fight with your dollar and that's probably not too likely to work.DirecTV had to pay an arm and a leg to get their monopoly on the NFL, so they're passing the cost on to us, no big surprise there. It's hard to be outraged. It's a service, you either buy it or you don't, but it's not like you have a god given right to the service at a price YOU find acceptable. The service provider gets to decide their price.There are a lot of things about DirecTV that annoy me. Like paying $5 per TV in my house and the high cost of equipment. I deal with it because the product is still vastly superior to cable and now the cable companies are adding in the $5 per tv to rent their digital boxes anyway. I am a bit surprised at how many people found the HD thing to be such a big deal. I'd rather watch on Tivo than HD TV any day of the week myself, and if you can afford the $1000 HD Tivo and the $11 bucks a month for about 10 HD channels then I find it hard to believe you'd be unwilling to cough up the $99 bucks for the NFL in HD. I'd love to have an HD Tivo and the NFL in HD, but it's too expensive for me to consider practical. I'm not complaining, I'm just not buying.

This might be a stupid question but here goes ..... I have Comcast Cable and want to keep it for my regular TV programming. Can I order Direct TV and get their box and only use it for the NFL Ticket? Will I only have to pay for the NFL Ticket? I have had Direct TV before but I switched to comcast. I do miss the NFL Ticket,  :popcorn:
Contrary to popular belief, this is wrong. According to DirecTV terms and conditions:
Sports, A La Carte and Pay Per View Programming

Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. To receive sports programming and to order pay per view by remote, a DIRECTV subscription is required (except NFL SUNDAY TICKET) and all DIRECTV Receivers must be continuously connected to the same land-based phone line. There is an additional $1.50 charge when pay per view events and movies are ordered by phone utilizing the automated ordering system or an additional $5.00 charge for an operator-assisted order. Pay per event purchase price is non-refundable. Most sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services, unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season. Commercial locations require an appropriate license agreement. Commercial signal theft is subject to civil and criminal penalties.

And can be found here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Legal.jsp
One guy in the AVS forum said he was told he needed a base package, but DirecTV caved once he pointed out that their terms and conditions explicitly say otherwise. If MoveTheChains wants ST and ST only, he should request this and point to the same language if he's given the expected runaround from some minimum wage CSR. They really should follow their terms and conditions or otherwise change them if they want to require a base sub.
Thanks Big Jim. I will use your advice and see what happens.

Basically I agree with this guy.

I sold my Eagles season tix for this year to purchase a big screen hi def TV along with direct tv and the sunday tix. Just bought a new home.

I spend at least 100 dollars every eagles home game on beer and food for tailgating and of course parking. So in my situation it is actually cheaper.

Now we all know we spend more than 20 dollars at the sports bar so again i think it works out. but like he said, to each is their own.

bottom line is im looking forward to finally getting the ticket.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you think you're gonna watch the Eagles over DirecTV and are within the Philadelphia broadcast area you are going to be very disappointed. Last year I had both Comcast and DirecTV in HD. Since the Eagles get blacked out you almost never see them on the Ticket so you have to go to the local channels. To get the local channels in HD with DirecTV you need to have a decent attenna installed. If you're interested in just the Eagles you could can the ticket and stick to the national broadcasts. You're almost guaranteed they'll be on in HD at all times. I honestly used the Ticket twice last year and have already cancelled my renewal. All that said, see a game in HD and you'll never go back!

Good luck man

Users who are viewing this thread