What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pariah - MOCK 1 - May 24th (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Dowling

Footballguy
1. IWannaBEACowboy - LT2 (P: S.Alexander)2. Wood - Edgerrin James (P:Deuce McAllister)3. Elway - McGahee P:HOlmes4. Colin - Manning P:CUlpepper5. datonn - Jamal Lewis6. Hitmen - Clinton Portis7.Bicycle Seat Sniffers - Rudi Johnson P:C.Dillon8. Broadway - K.Jones P:Tiki Barber9. Jackal - Moss P: Owens10. Blue PeepPlease select using your pick "1.01", your name "IWBAC" and your selection "Joe Nedney". If you want to use a Pariah - you get 4 and can use them at any time when you are OTC, but only use one at a time - list it after your selection like this "PARIAH - Jay Feely"IWBAC is OTC

Last edited by a moderator:
Iwannbeacowboybaby! selects at 1.01 Ladanian Tomlinson, RB ChargersThis is a Pariah selection: S. Alexander, RB Seattle Seahawks3 Pariah Selections left in the draft.I will PM Wood.

Jackal is not online, so since this is a test, I'm going to step in and pick for him. If we hear from him before my pick, we can switch spots or something. I just want to keep it rolling...1.04: Jackal : Peyton Manning Pariah: Duante CulpepperArnold s OTCColin

Quick point that I've thought about in my short experience in this format. The bookends, myself and Bluedeep will always use their Pariah picks on the only owner next to us. For example, I have to use my Pariah's on Wood........in turn he will split up his most likely, in fact he's already used 1 on someone else. My point is that there's an advantage to selecting at the bookends and a definate disadvantage to picking 2nd to last and 2nd because you're gauranteed to be pariahed 4 times from the bookend, plus you could be pariahed from the other side of you.

Well okay, I'll break the trend and NOT use the Pariah pick just yet.At 1.05, datonn selects RB Jamal Lewis, Ravens :popcorn:

Quick point that I've thought about in my short experience in this format. The bookends, myself and Bluedeep will always use their Pariah picks on the only owner next to us. For example, I have to use my Pariah's on Wood........in turn he will split up his most likely, in fact he's already used 1 on someone else. My point is that there's an advantage to selecting at the bookends and a definate disadvantage to picking 2nd to last and 2nd because you're gauranteed to be pariahed 4 times from the bookend, plus you could be pariahed from the other side of you.
Intersting. I think as things go on though, people won't use the Pariah's so quickly...Colin

You can use them whenever you want, but only 1 at a time. So yes, they could be used in rounds 1-4.Obviously, we may change this rule later on depending on how it works out. For this mock, they can be used as you like.COlin

RE: the Holmes Pariah...personally I think he would be an IDEAL person NOT to Pariah because he's got an ADP of top 5 yet he is, in my view, far from a lock to give a full year of top 5 production.

Jackal is not online, so since this is a test, I'm going to step in and pick for him. If we hear from him before my pick, we can switch spots or something. I just want to keep it rolling...

1.04: Jackal : Peyton Manning Pariah: Duante Culpepper

Arnold s OTC

Colin
I like this Pariah, makes sense.

Iwannabeacowboybaby!, I don't think the Pariah picks being used on our squads (at least this early in the draft) is a disadvantage. I think of it as an ADVANTAGE. The first 2-3 rounds is a piece of cake from a drafting perspective.....it's those mid-round picks that can start to create problems for folks when the pickings are more-slim and all of our squads start to have more-pronounced needs. I hope all 11 other squads burn through their pariah picks in rounds 1-4, so that I can sit in the cat-bird seat and make the teams on either side of me sweat in the middle rounds..... :devil:So, in a "pariah" league, could the pariah designations be traded?!?! :unsure:

RE: the Holmes Pariah...personally I think he would be an IDEAL person NOT to Pariah because he's got an ADP of top 5 yet he is, in my view, far from a lock to give a full year of top 5 production.
Yes, I was debating, but thought I would use it just to eliminate the "potential" Holmes has. Might have been harder for me in a real draft.... :confused:

i am here
:thumbup: I moved you down a hair since you were offline a minute ago. If you want the pick I made for you (Manning) then I'll take the later slot. If not, you can keep the later slot. You decide.

COlin

Quick point that I've thought about in my short experience in this format.  The bookends, myself and Bluedeep will always use their Pariah picks on the only owner next to us.  For example, I have to use my Pariah's on Wood........in turn he will split up his most likely, in fact he's already used 1 on someone else. 

My point is that there's an advantage to selecting at the bookends and a definate disadvantage to picking 2nd to last and 2nd because you're gauranteed to be pariahed 4 times from the bookend, plus you could be pariahed from the other side of you.
Iwannabeacowboybaby!, I don't think the Pariah picks being used on our squads (at least this early in the draft) is a disadvantage. I think of it as an ADVANTAGE. The first 2-3 rounds is a piece of cake from a drafting perspective.....it's those mid-round picks that can start to create problems for folks when the pickings are more-slim and all of our squads start to have more-pronounced needs. I hope all 11 other squads burn through their pariah picks in rounds 1-4, so that I can sit in the cat-bird seat and make the teams on either side of me sweat in the middle rounds..... :devil:

So, in a "pariah" league, could the pariah designations be traded?!?! :unsure:
Really, I don't see it that way. I think using them in key spots where projected production dips down from the 2nd to 3rd player is a great place to use them.For example, me getting LT2 and getting rid of S. Alexander most owners NO.2 selection is well worth it. I also like the Manning selection and then getting rid of Culpepper, his next closest competition. So now, Colin has a huge advantage at the QB spot.

I mean, if you wait till later and Pariah your WR 30.......I don't see how that can be nearly as valuable as everyone's 25-35 Wr's will vary greatly anyway so my Pariah probably won't even effect someone.

1.06 Hitmen selects Clinton Portis

NO PARIAH
A little early to Pariah the NO defense don't you think Hitmen?
Well, Manning was my guy and I was going to pariah CPepp but he was taken. I don't want to Pariah just to Pariah. I will use them don't worry..If I Pariah someone I might want them later. I guess everyone has their own way..Which player deserved a Pariah at my pick?

Quick point that I've thought about in my short experience in this format.  The bookends, myself and Bluedeep will always use their Pariah picks on the only owner next to us.  For example, I have to use my Pariah's on Wood........in turn he will split up his most likely, in fact he's already used 1 on someone else. 

My point is that there's an advantage to selecting at the bookends and a definate disadvantage to picking 2nd to last and 2nd because you're gauranteed to be pariahed 4 times from the bookend, plus you could be pariahed from the other side of you.
Iwannabeacowboybaby!, I don't think the Pariah picks being used on our squads (at least this early in the draft) is a disadvantage. I think of it as an ADVANTAGE. The first 2-3 rounds is a piece of cake from a drafting perspective.....it's those mid-round picks that can start to create problems for folks when the pickings are more-slim and all of our squads start to have more-pronounced needs. I hope all 11 other squads burn through their pariah picks in rounds 1-4, so that I can sit in the cat-bird seat and make the teams on either side of me sweat in the middle rounds..... :devil:

Really, I don't see it that way. I think using them in key spots where projected production dips down from the 2nd to 3rd player is a great place to use them.For example, me getting LT2 and getting rid of S. Alexander most owners NO.2 selection is well worth it. I also like the Manning selection and then getting rid of Culpepper, his next closest competition. So now, Colin has a huge advantage at the QB spot.

I mean, if you wait till later and Pariah your WR 30.......I don't see how that can be nearly as valuable as everyone's 25-35 Wr's will vary greatly anyway so my Pariah probably won't even effect someone.
I think thats part of the forward thinking it will take to put together a good squad. You point out an obvious advantage to the guys on the end. But what happens if a QB run full of QB Pariah's happens? Its possible that 32 QBs could be selected or Pariah'ed between 3.01 and 4.12, meaning the guy in the 1 hole could end up without a QB at all.Colin

You said: NO PariahSo jokingly I said: A little too early to Pariah the NO Defense.......which means the NO Saints Defense. It was a bad joke. I know you didn't use it.

I'm moving Fred down to 10 and everyone else up a spot since you guys are here. Snifers then Broadway then Jackal pick.COlin

I think thats part of the forward thinking it will take to put together a good squad. You point out an obvious advantage to the guys on the end. But what happens if a QB run full of QB Pariah's happens? Its possible that 32 QBs could be selected or Pariah'ed between 3.01 and 4.12, meaning the guy in the 1 hole could end up without a QB at all.Colin
I thought of that as soon as you picked Manning.....I think Qb's have to go earlier, or someone drafting on the ends could get screwed big time. That really holds true for any position really.

You said: NO Pariah

So jokingly I said: A little too early to Pariah the NO Defense.......which means the NO Saints Defense. It was a bad joke. I know you didn't use it.
Ahhh..sorry. I thought that was it for a second. You're right it is a litte early for the NO pariah. I think that is a defense I will never draft. Wasn't that bad of a joke...Seriously, is there anyone you who have used a pariah on for conversation part?

Broadway OTC, then Jackal.There are a couple guys that I'm floored to still see on the board considering the "value maximization" that can be accomplished in this format.COlin

I think the ultimate advantage is to use the Pariah picks when the players are next-to-dried up on a particular "plateau", as well as giving your own team competitive advantage. Guys using their Pariah this early, IMHO, are creating shortages down the road, but have no idea if the team they are actually screwing is themselves in Round 3....4...5...6...7....1.01 No major competitive advantage gained by taking SA off the board behind LT1.02 No major competitive advantage gained by taking DM off the board behind EJ1.03 No major competitive advantage gained by taking PH off the board behind WM. Actually, I think I would have probably looked at Jamal Lewis or Clinton Portis as the Pariah instead of PH, since Holmes has got more risk this high in the 2005 draft board.1.04 I liked the use of the Pariah pick here, since Manning and Culpepper are the best in the game (although the loss of Moss in Minnesota has to knock Culpepper down at least a peg). Taking both off the board is a solid move though.1.05 No Pariah1.06 No PariahI guess my point is that using the Pariah at 1.01-1.03 to create shortages when you've gotta come back at 2.10-2.12 is some dangerous business IMHO. If there are 2-3 players on a plateau and the guys behind you need those same positions though, then I say THAT'S when you bring out the 'ol screw-job..... :boxing:

Moving Blue Peep to 1.10 and making this a 10 team draft. If Fred or Arnold shows, they can have my spot. PLus, we'll probably do more of these.Peep is OTC for 2 picks.Colin

Blue Peep 1.12 Dominick DavisBlue Peep 2.1 Stephen Jackson

I think thats part of the forward thinking it will take to put together a good squad.  You point out an obvious advantage to the guys on the end.  But what happens if a QB run full of QB Pariah's happens?  Its possible that 32 QBs could be selected or Pariah'ed between 3.01 and 4.12, meaning the guy in the 1 hole could end up without a QB at all.

Colin
I think the ultimate advantage is to use the Pariah picks when the players are next-to-dried up on a particular "plateau", as well as giving your own team competitive advantage. Guys using their Pariah this early, IMHO, are creating shortages down the road, but have no idea if the team they are actually screwing is themselves in Round 3....4...5...6...7....1.01 No major competitive advantage gained by taking SA off the board behind LT

1.02 No major competitive advantage gained by taking DM off the board behind EJ

1.03 No major competitive advantage gained by taking PH off the board behind WM. Actually, I think I would have probably looked at Jamal Lewis or Clinton Portis as the Pariah instead of PH, since Holmes has got more risk this high in the 2005 draft board.

1.04 I liked the use of the Pariah pick here, since Manning and Culpepper are the best in the game (although the loss of Moss in Minnesota has to knock Culpepper down at least a peg). Taking both off the board is a solid move though.

1.05 No Pariah

1.06 No Pariah

I guess my point is that using the Pariah at 1.01-1.03 to create shortages when you've gotta come back at 2.10-2.12 is some dangerous business IMHO. If there are 2-3 players on a plateau and the guys behind you need those same positions though, then I say THAT'S when you bring out the 'ol screw-job..... :boxing:
That's where we disagree in philosophy. I'm not trying to create a shortage by taking SA off the board. I'm trying to make a wider gap in VBD between LT2 and whoever the RB3 is, which I succeeding in doing IMO. Making a shortage is another angle of using the pariah however.

Jackal OTC.I think these 'disagreements in philosophy' will produce some compelling drafts, much more so than a standard format.Colin

I think thats part of the forward thinking it will take to put together a good squad. You point out an obvious advantage to the guys on the end. But what happens if a QB run full of QB Pariah's happens? Its possible that 32 QBs could be selected or Pariah'ed between 3.01 and 4.12, meaning the guy in the 1 hole could end up without a QB at all.

Colin
I think the ultimate advantage is to use the Pariah picks when the players are next-to-dried up on a particular "plateau", as well as giving your own team competitive advantage. Guys using their Pariah this early, IMHO, are creating shortages down the road, but have no idea if the team they are actually screwing is themselves in Round 3....4...5...6...7....1.01 No major competitive advantage gained by taking SA off the board behind LT

1.02 No major competitive advantage gained by taking DM off the board behind EJ

1.03 No major competitive advantage gained by taking PH off the board behind WM. Actually, I think I would have probably looked at Jamal Lewis or Clinton Portis as the Pariah instead of PH, since Holmes has got more risk this high in the 2005 draft board.

1.04 I liked the use of the Pariah pick here, since Manning and Culpepper are the best in the game (although the loss of Moss in Minnesota has to knock Culpepper down at least a peg). Taking both off the board is a solid move though.

1.05 No Pariah

1.06 No Pariah

I guess my point is that using the Pariah at 1.01-1.03 to create shortages when you've gotta come back at 2.10-2.12 is some dangerous business IMHO. If there are 2-3 players on a plateau and the guys behind you need those same positions though, then I say THAT'S when you bring out the 'ol screw-job..... :boxing:
That's where we disagree in philosophy. I'm not trying to create a shortage by taking SA off the board. I'm trying to make a wider gap in VBD between LT2 and whoever the RB3 is, which I succeeding in doing IMO. Making a shortage is another angle of using the pariah however.
This was my strategy as well, even though Wood's argument for Holmes is a legit one. I based the Pariah on him being healthy. Could be a wasted one, but we will see.

Colin,Can you continuosly repost the draft results so we don't have to go back to the beginning of the thread to view?

Yes, I was debating, but thought I would use it just to eliminate the "potential" Holmes has. Might have been harder for me in a real draft.... :confused:
I first thought the Holmes Pariah was a good idea...just to eliminate the potential that Holmes has, just as elwayfan said. But upon thinking about it...if everyone is sure Holmes will not play a full season, then a great Pariah would be LJ, not Holmes. That would really mess with the Holmes owner.

1.1. IWannaBEACowboy - LT2 (P: S.Alexander)1.2. Wood - Edgerrin James (P:Deuce McAllister)1.3. Elway - McGahee P:HOlmes1.4. Colin - Manning P:CUlpepper1.5. datonn - Jamal Lewis1.6. Hitmen - Clinton Portis1.7.Bicycle Seat Sniffers - Rudi Johnson P:C.Dillon1.8. Broadway - K.Jones P:Tiki Barber1.9. Jackal - Moss P: Owens1.10. Blue Peep: Dom Davis2.1 Blue Peep: S.Jackson2.2. Jackal - Julius Jones2.03 Broadway - Antonio Gates P:Tony Gonzalez2.04 Sniffers - Ahman Green2.05Sniffers emerges from the first two rounds with 2 bonafide RBs....good work.

I first thought the Holmes Pariah was a good idea...just to eliminate the potential that Holmes has, just as elwayfan said. But upon thinking about it...if everyone is sure Holmes will not play a full season, then a great Pariah would be LJ, not Holmes. That would really mess with the Holmes owner.
I first thought that everyone was going to hang onto their pariahs. Then you would see Holmes drop down people's draft boards because you know there's no way you're getting LJ once he's picked... I was curious to see if it would drive his ADP down as far as 2.12, who might then take Priest/LJ with back to back picks (way underspending on Holmes and way overspending on LJ, but with no risk of getting pariahed). Turns out it was moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread