What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pariah - MOCK 1 - May 24th (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi FM, I'll be trying to do a mock or two each week for the next month or so in an effort to fine-tune the rules.  So I'll definitely catch you on the next one.

IwannabeDavidBoston is OTC.
Just ran this concept by one of my partners in my fund who also happens to be an FBG subscriber and he had some interesting observations:1) Thinks this will make a serpentine draft potentially too lopsided in that early picks not only have the advantage of drafting the highest VBD players but also doubling the potential "true" VBD by eliminating other first round talent

2) Thinks this would be ideal for an auction draft whereby someone who wins a bid on a player can in turn Pariah someone a finite number of times. Auctioners would have to figure in some massive inflation and be ready to adjust their values on the fly as players are removed.
We are all such FF :nerd: . I am looking forward to running with this concept and making it as much fun for everyone as possible. :thumbup:

CowboyFred has 1 Pariah left for the rest of the draft.

Colin
Correct. Although knowing what I know now about this format, I would never have used that first pariah on Alexander. I think we're seeing that it doesn't make sense to use a pariah on a position you'll need later, and that you'll want them later. Still, by biting the bullet on the QB pariahs on the end, I've forced a huge position run. If this were survivor, I'd have taken two QBs and pariahed two more.

i misunderstood something. for some reason, i thought i had to use the pariah on the same position i was selecting. i probably would have done something different. guess i know for next time

i misunderstood something. for some reason, i thought i had to use the pariah on the same position i was selecting. i probably would have done something different. guess i know for next time
Yeah, lots of finer points to work out. My apologies for the confusion, we'll get everythign cleared up by the fall, for sure.COlin

Colin- I think you have something here no matter how you tweak it. If this materializes in the fall and you start a league, put me on the list. :thumbup:Edited to add: Also PM or e-mail me for future mocks...I would like to participate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin- I think you have something here no matter how you tweak it. If this materializes in the fall and you start a league, put me on the list. :thumbup:

Edited to add: Also PM or e-mail me for future mocks...I would like to participate.
me also

Hi FM, I'll be trying to do a mock or two each week for the next month or so in an effort to fine-tune the rules.  So I'll definitely catch you on the next one.

IwannabeDavidBoston is OTC.
Just ran this concept by one of my partners in my fund who also happens to be an FBG subscriber and he had some interesting observations:1) Thinks this will make a serpentine draft potentially too lopsided in that early picks not only have the advantage of drafting the highest VBD players but also doubling the potential "true" VBD by eliminating other first round talent

2) Thinks this would be ideal for an auction draft whereby someone who wins a bid on a player can in turn Pariah someone a finite number of times. Auctioners would have to figure in some massive inflation and be ready to adjust their values on the fly as players are removed.
1) That's why I like the idea of having one last round of the draft where people can draft one pariahed player for themselves, starting with the last round pick. Now there's less incentive for 1.1 to pariah Alexander, but there's still a huge advantage to starting a position run. 2) I like the idea of rewarding early picks in an auction because it drives up their price a little. Interesting idea.

I think I am. It takes about 10 minutes just to figure out who has been drafted from pick to pick....for those of us that aren't running off of a printed cheatsheet. :no: Anyway, as best I can tell, I think Michael Vick is still available. If so, I'll take him, no Pariah. :popcorn:Edited to add: It would be a lot more efficient if we were running this mock at Xpert Sports or some other mock drafting, web-based service out there. Trying to cobble-together the list of who's been taken (or pariahed) and who's still available is tough.

1.1. IWannaBeBostonfred - LT2 (P: S.Alexander)1.2. Wood - Edgerrin James (P:Deuce McAllister)1.3. Elway - McGahee P:HOlmes1.4. Colin - Manning P:CUlpepper1.5. datonn - Jamal Lewis1.6. Hitmen - Clinton Portis1.7.Bicycle Seat Sniffers - Rudi Johnson P:C.Dillon1.8. Broadway - K.Jones P:Tiki Barber1.9. Jackal - Moss P: Owens1.10. Blue Peep: Dom Davis2.1 Blue Peep: S.Jackson2.2. Jackal - Julius Jones P: Tatum Bell2.03 Broadway - Antonio Gates P:Tony Gonzalez2.04 Sniffers - Ahman Green2.05 Hitmen - Curtis Martin2.06 datonn - Chad Johnson 2.07 COlin - Torry Holt P: Donovan McNabb2.08 Elway - Marc Bulger P: Kerry COllins2.09 Wood - LaMont Jordan P: B. Westbrook2.10 IWannaBeBostonfred - Trent Green P: Brett Favre3.01 IWannaBeBostonfred - Cadillac Williams P: Matt Hasselbeck3.02 Wood - Jake PLummer P: Aaron Brooks3.03 Elway - Marvin Harrison P:Javon Walker3.04 Colin - Chris Brown3.05 datonn - Ron Mexico

Sniffer said he'd be back in about half an hour, so for the time being we'll just wait. Thanks for participating so far everyone. COlin

Sniffer said he'd be back in about half an hour, so for the time being we'll just wait. Thanks for participating so far everyone.

COlin
Does anyone want to take the rest of tonight off and pick this up in the morning or am I the only one? If not, can someone pick for me and I will pick it up tomorrow morning about 9 am? It's been fun. If anything I am getting my mock draft 2 months early.Thanks Colin for letting me in.

I will not be on as frequently tonight, but can check in. I will be leaving work in about an hour and will have to check in from time to time to see if I am up. Whatever you want me to do, Colin....just let me know.

if you make it in tonight, fine. If not, we'll pick up in the AM. we're moving along pretty well and all 10 participants seem interested.COlin

Ron Meh-EE-coe. Yep, you guys left me no choice! LOL.I have a window between 5:30pm and 8:30pm where it will be next to impossible for me to draft my slots, but otherwise would be around until about 1-2am (central time). Of course, if we could move this over to a mock drafting site on the web, we could bang this entire thing out in 2-3 hours..... ;)

I'm leaving for the U2 concert in an hour so I'm probably done for the night. IWBACB can pick back up for the team tomorrow. Hope he doesn't mind the picks I made for him.

11 QBs off the board with five teams still needing one. This ten team draft will start worse QB1s than a 16 teamer.

I'm on my way home from work (about an hour)If this doesn't pick up again tonight, I will need a replacement for tomorrow as I'll be out of the office doing actual work.

3.10 Blue Peep Steve Mcnair (P Warrick Dunn)

4.01 Blue Peep Cedrick Benson (P Ronnie Brown)

This looks pretty interesting but it still seems like using the pariahs early is easily the best way to go. Maybe it would be interesting if there was a value assigned to the pariahs depending on when they're used. Something like you only get 50 pariah points for the entire draft and they're worth is scaled down throughout the draft thusly.1st rounder - 20 pts.2nd rounder - 16 pts.3rd rounder - 13 pts.4th rounder - 11 pts.5th rounder - 9 pts.6th rounder - 7 pts.7th rounder - 5 pts.8th rounder - 4 pts.9th rounder - 3 pts.10th rounder - 2 pts.11th and later 1 pointOr scale however appropriately. This way early pariahs cost you a lot more because they're more valuable. You would have to budget pariah points throughout the draft. Just a thought.

This looks pretty interesting but it still seems like using the pariahs early is easily the best way to go. Maybe it would be interesting if there was a value assigned to the pariahs depending on when they're used. Something like you only get 50 pariah points for the entire draft and they're worth is scaled down throughout the draft thusly.

1st rounder - 20 pts.

2nd rounder - 16 pts.

3rd rounder - 13 pts.

4th rounder - 11 pts.

5th rounder - 9 pts.

6th rounder - 7 pts.

7th rounder - 5 pts.

8th rounder - 4 pts.

9th rounder - 3 pts.

10th rounder - 2 pts.

11th and later 1 point

Or scale however appropriately. This way early pariahs cost you a lot more because they're more valuable. You would have to budget pariah points throughout the draft. Just a thought.
One way to account for the value is by round. A round 1 would have more value than if claimed in round 5 for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread