What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pariah - Mock 2 - May 25th (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Dowling

Footballguy
PLEASE PM THE NEXT PERSON PICKING WHEN YOU HAVE MADE YOUR PICK.You start with ONE pariah. Each team is granted an additional Pariah at the conclusion of every even-numbered round. You may use them whenever you want (as long as you are on the clock), one at a time, on whatever position you want..Colin1. Dolfan - OTC2. S_ezy3. elway4. hitmen5. jcvdwvwcyv6. Knowledge Reigns Supreme7. Duckboy8. Deepout9. Wood 10. Indy Havoc11. Cutter 12. Snotbubbles

You can add commentary if you would like. Truthfully, with these being mocks, I don't expect tons of input on the picks themselves. However, for "development" purposes, I'm very interested on all input regarding "well, this is cool about this format..." and "this sucks about this..." and "I would do this this way instead of like this next time..." etc.I already really like how this one has starter though.COlin

Yes you can.Y oucan pariah any position. I'll edit the rules if I didn't explain it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can add commentary if you would like. Truthfully, with these being mocks, I don't expect tons of input on the picks themselves. However, for "development" purposes, I'm very interested on all input regarding "well, this is cool about this format..." and "this sucks about this..." and "I would do this this way instead of like this next time..." etc.

I already really like how this one has starter though.

COlin
Well along those lines, has anyone brought up yet [the obvious] how this thins out the player pool a lot? I remember you posted the starting lineup requirements in another thread but don't remember exactly what they were. Seems to me they were not much different from "regular" fantasy lineups... Seems like we could have some people forced to start Zach Crockett types by midseason once injuries work their way into things...

You can add commentary if you would like. Truthfully, with these being mocks, I don't expect tons of input on the picks themselves. However, for "development" purposes, I'm very interested on all input regarding "well, this is cool about this format..." and "this sucks about this..." and "I would do this this way instead of like this next time..." etc.

COlin
Well along those lines, has anyone brought up yet [the obvious] how this thins out the player pool a lot? I remember you posted the starting lineup requirements in another thread but don't remember exactly what they were. Seems to me they were not much different from "regular" fantasy lineups... Seems like we could have some people forced to start Zach Crockett types by midseason once injuries work their way into things...
IMO...that is the challenge of this format. You really have to study and research who the deep sleepers are. Makes you work a little in the mid to late rounds.

oh

i was under the impression you have to pariah a different position

whoops

no biggie
Sorry if my pick threw you off.. I think most people have been doing it the other way [drafting a RB and the PARIAHing another RB] so far... I wanted to try something different...

My $.02 is that coaches at the end of the odd rounds get the biggest penalty against them in this format. Example: My 1st pick at #11 will be after 20 players are off the board. Most of the pariah picks will be used by the time the 2nd round begins and so most likely none will be used in the even number rounds. So between the 1st pick and the 12 coaches pick, 23 players will drop off the board. However, between the 12 coaches pick and 1st players pick, only 12 players will come off the board. Huge swing of talent available before the pariah picks bring players off the board toward the end of the rounds.How about a pariah pick after every 3 rounds. That way the new pariahs come available at the opposite ends of the round each time.

You can add commentary if you would like.  Truthfully, with these being mocks, I don't expect tons of input on the picks themselves.  However, for "development" purposes, I'm very interested on all input regarding "well, this is cool about this format..." and "this sucks about this..." and "I would do this this way instead of like this next time..." etc.

COlin
Yes. And Yes.The point is to create a league where people have to be smarter - a LOT smarter - then just selecting the "next best" guy off a list of 100. Handcuff values go through the roof, guys making "average" contributions become valuable, etc.

However, I think it will bare out that having a flex position may not be the best idea. Starting 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K with no flex will help with the thinned out player pool issue.

Colin

My $.02 is that coaches at the end of the odd rounds get the biggest penalty against them in this format.

Example: My 1st pick at #11 will be after 20 players are off the board. Most of the pariah picks will be used by the time the 2nd round begins and so most likely none will be used in the even number rounds.

So between the 1st pick and the 12 coaches pick, 23 players will drop off the board. However, between the 12 coaches pick and 1st players pick, only 12 players will come off the board. Huge swing of talent available before the pariah picks bring players off the board toward the end of the rounds.

How about a pariah pick after every 3 rounds. That way the new pariahs come available at the opposite ends of the round each time.
:goodposting:

My $.02 is that coaches at the end of the odd rounds get the biggest penalty against them in this format.

Example: My 1st pick at #11 will be after 20 players are off the board. Most of the pariah picks will be used by the time the 2nd round begins and so most likely none will be used in the even number rounds.

So between the 1st pick and the 12 coaches pick, 23 players will drop off the board. However, between the 12 coaches pick and 1st players pick, only 12 players will come off the board. Huge swing of talent available before the pariah picks bring players off the board toward the end of the rounds.

How about a pariah pick after every 3 rounds. That way the new pariahs come available at the opposite ends of the round each time.
Interesting. Mock 3 may hold off the Pariah's a bit, but that kind of defeats part of the purpose. I'll have to look in to that....On the flipside though, by the time 1.01 picks in the 2nd round, 22 players will have been selected and possibly 11 more would have been pariah'ed, meaning he/she would end up with their #1 player and their 34th ranked player.

Colin

oh

i was under the impression you have to pariah a different position

whoops

no biggie
Another idea/form that I just thought of that would be cruel/interesting would be for everyone in the draft to get 2 Pariah's.....the bookends only get 1 since I feel they have an advantage as talked about in Mock 1. Now, the Pariah would mean that the next owner Pariahed could not draft a certain position for that round.For example, if I chose first and I Pariahed RB, then the next person could not pick any RB.......so maybe you'd take Peyton Manning or Randy Moss. An owner could use only 1 of their Pariah's on one particular owner, and his remaining Pariah on the other owner next to him.

I think it would be interesting to hold onto a Pariah a bit longer because of an owner went RB, RB......and you Pariahed WR on them, you might force them to alter their draft.

Or in a Survivor League Pariah......there's always that QB run and to Pariah someone in that run could be devastating.

Example:  My 1st pick at #11 will be after 20 players are off the board.  Most of the pariah picks will be used by the time the 2nd round begins and so most likely none will be used in the even number rounds. 

So between the 1st pick and the 12 coaches pick, 23 players will drop off the board.  However, between the 12 coaches pick and 1st players pick, only 12 players will come off the board.  Huge swing of talent available before the pariah picks bring players off the board toward the end of the rounds.

How about a pariah pick after every 3 rounds.  That way the new pariahs come available at the opposite ends of the round each time.
Interesting. Mock 3 may hold off the Pariah's a bit, but that kind of defeats part of the purpose. I'll have to look in to that....On the flipside though, by the time 1.01 picks in the 2nd round, 22 players will have been selected and possibly 11 more would have been pariah'ed, meaning he/she would end up with their #1 player and their 34th ranked player.

Colin
Yeah, but that is still better than what the guy picking in the 12 spot is looking at [23rd and 24th players]In this league, the guy picking from the 1 spot gets his #1 and #35 with his 1st and 2nd round picks.

The guy picking from the 12 spot gets his #23 and #24.

Add them up and it's 36 vs. 47 ==> Advantage to number 1 guy by 11 slots.

In a "regular" league, the guy picking from the 1 spot gets his #1 and #24 with his 1st and 2nd round picks.

The guy picking from the 12 spot gets his #12 and #13.

Add them up and it's 25 vs. 25...

This format clearly gives a bigger edge to folks picking in the earlier parts of the round than does other formats.

Interesting...Which brings us full-circle: The way to even that out is to have two Pariahs available in the first 2 rounds so that the guy a 1.01 can be punished to the tune of having 23 players selected and 23 players pariahed before he selects...Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting...

Which brings us full-circle: The way to even that out is to have two Pariahs available in the first 2 rounds so that the guy a 1.01 can be punished to the tune of having 23 players selected and 23 players pariahed before he selects...

Colin
Maybe no Pariahs in the first round so everyone can their franchise player and than after that it's all fair game. This way since the owner that drafts last in the first round gets the worst pick in the first round but the first opportunity to Pariah in the second round.

Interesting...

Which brings us full-circle:  The way to even that out is to have two Pariahs available in the first 2 rounds so that the guy a 1.01 can be punished to the tune of having 23 players selected and 23 players pariahed before he selects...

Colin
Maybe no Pariahs in the first round so everyone can their franchise player and than after that it's all fair game. This way since the owner that drafts last in the first round gets the worst pick in the first round but the first opportunity to Pariah in the second round.
I like 1 PARIAH in each round better. Problem is this REALLY thins out the player pool.. Getting rid of the flex would help with this. Also, since it seems the PARIAH is much less valuable in the later rounds, maybe get rid of it after, say, the 4th round... So everyone gets a PARIAH in each of the 1st 4 rounds and then that's it. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST. 12 teams -- 14 rounds. I also think Cowboy's idea is interesting about PARIAHing a position for the next guy drafting after you. Problem with that is it is only between you and 1-2 other guys -- you don't get to piss everyone in the league off -- no fun :boxing:

Also it defeats part of the purpose to make people work harder at 3rd and 4th tier players because it doesn't really thin the player pool out at all..

This might be a good idea. Maybe something to look at as well would be only using a required pariah round every 3 rds, starting in the 2nd (so 2nd, 5th, 8th, etc).

I'll take Priest Holmes and I'll pariah McGahee.Commentary: Not really happy with this draft spot. I would've liked Edge or Manning here. Holmes offers #1 RB potential though, and I can't pass that up with what is essentially the 9th pick of the draft.P.S. Colin can you please keep your first post updated, as I think it will help the draft go a lot quicker.

Interesting...

Which brings us full-circle:  The way to even that out is to have two Pariahs available in the first 2 rounds so that the guy a 1.01 can be punished to the tune of having 23 players selected and 23 players pariahed before he selects...

Colin
I like 1 PARIAH in each round better. Problem is this REALLY thins out the player pool.. Getting rid of the flex would help with this. Also, since it seems the PARIAH is much less valuable in the later rounds, maybe get rid of it after, say, the 4th round... So everyone gets a PARIAH in each of the 1st 4 rounds and then that's it. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST. 12 teams -- 14 rounds. I also think Cowboy's idea is interesting about PARIAHing a position for the next guy drafting after you. Problem with that is it is only between you and 1-2 other guys -- you don't get to piss everyone in the league off -- no fun :boxing:

Also it defeats part of the purpose to make people work harder at 3rd and 4th tier players because it doesn't really thin the player pool out at all..
I think getting rid of the FLEX is a good idea as well. I think my biggest hang up is someone using Pariah's back to back in rounds 1 and round 2. I don't care when anyone wants to use them but if everyone uses them in the first 2 rounds than a lot of talent is gone. I think we should keep in mind that part of the fun of fantasy football is watching players and enjoying watching those players.

How about this? Give everyone a set number of P picks at the start to be used whenever (use only 1 per pick though). Whenever one is used, the user then will drop 3-5 draft positions on their next pick. This would make it very costly to use the P pick in the early rounds, however, that is when the P picks will mean the most also.

1. Dolfan - Alexander P:Manning2. S_ezy - LT2 P:Moss3. elway - Edge P: Deuce4. hitmen - Culpepper P: McNabb5. jcvdwvwcyv - Holmes P:McGahee6. Knowledge Reigns Supreme - Owens P: Holt7. Duckboy - OTC8. Deepout9. Wood 10. Indy Havoc11. Cutter 12. Snotbubbles

I'm gonna have to bow out too. I was hoping to get a couple rounds in but once I leave work it's gonna be hard for me to logon.

um...not as well as anticipated. Everyone was fired up to get in on it and then seem to have disappeared. :wall:
Colin sorry to hold everyone up. I had left you a message a couple of hours ago that I had to drop out. Can you move 9-12 up and add a wait lister? I'm not going to be available. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm aborting this attmept. Good solid picks/strategies coming to light, but if you don't grab momentum quickly, suddenly it takes 2 days to finish a round and thats not going to hack it. Participants interested in Mock #3 tomorrow will get first dibs.Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread