Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sigmund

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

35,700 posts in this topic

The Square

2008 R 106 minutes

Bored with married life, middle-aged Ray devises a dangerous scheme to steal a large sum of money and run away with his beautiful young mistress, Carla, in this neo-noir thriller set in a decrepit section of Sydney. It looks as if the plot involving Carla's unscrupulous husband and a career arsonist is a success -- until an anonymous blackmailer threatens to expose the truth.

This was a suprisingly good thriller. The thick Aussie accents will be difficult for some to understand but overall this flick was better than expected.

:thumbup:

Reminded me of a Coen brothers movie. Really well done.

Speaking of the Coen brothers has anyone seen A Serious Man? Thoughts?
Lots of reviews in this thread for A Serious Man. I enjoyed its weirdness the first time around. The second time, I was so repulsed by Richard Kind that I didn't even finish it.

The ImmortalsNice visuals, otherwise very forgettable.

I can't argue with this. Although I'd totally see it again on Blu Ray just for the visuals.

Been watching too many dark depressing dramas lately, so I thought I would cleanse the palate with a couple of mindless rom-coms tonight:

Friends With Benefits - predictable story with two people trying to have the sex without the feelings. Was pleasantly surprised with the humor in this one. Mila and Justin played off each other well, and it helps that Timberlake is actually a fairly funny guy to begin with. This one was helped by the R rating as well. Actually one of the better entries in the genre in the past year or so along with Crazy Stupid Love.

What's Your Number -

You can pass right by this one. Really dumb premise and the Faris/Cpt. America combo was a dud. This one couldn't hold my attention, and I ended up reading a magazine during the 2nd half of the movie.

Saw Paul over the weekend. I enjoyed it not much to add really :shrug:

Take Shelter - Taut psychological drama. It's very well done but the pacing is somewhat slow and there is one scene where the tension feels contrived (but it leads to a great rant by Michael Shannon). Michael Shannon seems to have legitimate acting chops, though I wonder if he could pull off a non-dramatic role. Ultimately I enjoyed it because it is very well acted and keeps you guessing whether Shannon is having true premonitions or slowly losing his mind.

shannon is weirdly intense. he was a stage actor with steppenwolf before his film career really took off. my wife worked at steppenwolf for a time and saw him in rehearsals for McDonaugh's "The Pillowman" a lot. i got to see him once it got to previews and he's pretty amazing on stage. it was that same kind of thing he does with his turn in Revolutionary Road. i love actors like him.

Tower Heist: Pretty boring. Was going to say that it was waaay to long for a comedy then checked and saw it was only 104 minutes :unsure:. A couple laughs but completely forgettable. 2/5

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy: A group of friends (led by Jason Sudeikis) plan an orgy for their final labor day weekend together; hilarity ensues. Beautiful women, good laughs and a story that moves quickly. Tower Heist should take notes. 4/5

Tower Heist: Pretty boring. Was going to say that it was waaay to long for a comedy then checked and saw it was only 104 minutes :unsure:. A couple laughs but completely forgettable. 2/5

colossal waste of comic talent, i thought. squandered a decent premise with shoddy writing and lazy direction.

colossal waste of comic talent, i thought. squandered a decent premise with shoddy writing and lazy direction.

Agreed. I was really excited to see Eddie taking a role that wasn't rated G... oof.

Cyrus wasn't a bad little film. I remember it being portrayed as a straight-up comedy but it's definitely more of a drama with some subtle, dark comedic moments. I'm not a big John C Reilly fan but he carried the movie surprisingly well. Jonah Hill was good as the creepy son. It was an interesting movie that really needed to explore the subject matter with a little more depth. They probably could have taken out some of the stuff with his ex-wife and new husband to do it. Good movie, could have been more. 2.5/5

Big Monkees fan, but I've never seen their movie Head. Got a chance to watch it today. :mellow:

Very strange. I understand it was an attempt to deconstruct their manufactured teen pop image, but I think all they ended up doing was confuse people. Jack Nicholson and Teri Garr make cameos, among others, but they don't really add anything.

Oh well, at least I can say I've seen it now.

2/5

Humpday:

Thought this was an interesting little film. Don't want to talk about it too much, but thought it was refreshing to see the frankness of the discussion about sexuality on the screen. Didn't love it, but think that it is worth the recommendation to a handful of people that frequent this thread.

The Evil Dead:

Been way too long since I have seen the first Evil Dead movie, and I don't know why. Love the hell out of this movie. Now I am going to have to watch the other 2 to verify that this one might just be my favorite of the 3 movies.

Humpday:

Thought this was an interesting little film. Don't want to talk about it too much, but thought it was refreshing to see the frankness of the discussion about sexuality on the screen. Didn't love it, but think that it is worth the recommendation to a handful of people that frequent this thread.

I could see how its earnestly could be intriguing, but I despised this. Chuck & Buck addressed some of the same stuff a lot better.

Humpday:

I could see how its earnestly could be intriguing, but I despised this. Chuck & Buck addressed some of the same stuff a lot better.

Not sure they handled the 'climax' of the movie correctly, but I was intrigued by what the film was trying to do anyway. Again, not a high recommend - probably would give a 5/10 or so.

The League thread gets bumped so I do some browsing and now Cyrus and Humpday get mentioned both done by "Pete"

just a weird coincidence :shrug:

The Evil Dead:

Been way too long since I have seen the first Evil Dead movie, and I don't know why. Love the hell out of this movie. Now I am going to have to watch the other 2 to verify that this one might just be my favorite of the 3 movies.

Big fan of this movie. You should listen to the commentary by Raimi and Campbell if you haven't. Very entertaining.

Humpday:

Haven't seen Humpday yet, but Chuck and Buck sure was a good, quirky movie.

The Evil Dead:

Big fan of this movie. You should listen to the commentary by Raimi and Campbell if you haven't. Very entertaining.
I ordered it with the intent of listening to Campbell's commentary, which I heard are great. The disc only listed Raimi and the producer for the commentary. Is there a special edition I need to look for?

The Evil Dead:

I ordered it with the intent of listening to Campbell's commentary, which I heard are great. The disc only listed Raimi and the producer for the commentary. Is there a special edition I need to look for?
I own the DVD, but I haven't watched it in a couple of years. It's possible that Raimi and the producer do one track while Campbell does another. Either way, as a fan, you'll love it. Really makes you appreciate the movie on a whole new level.

What's fascinating to me about Evil Dead is that while it gets written off as a schlocky genre grinder, Raimi does some amazing camera moves in this movie that have been ripped off a thousand times.

Anyone plan on seeing "Act of Valor", opening this weekend? It's that movie that stars real life SEAL team members.

Anyone plan on seeing "Act of Valor", opening this weekend? It's that movie that stars real life SEAL team members.

I'd like to see this just because I've been interested in the SEAL teams ever since I read Richard Marcinko's books. That said, I think once you get past the novelty of seeing real SEAL members acting in a film, the movie doesn't seem to be all that exciting. Clearly, the dialogue is very authentic. But I bet that's not enough to lift this movie beyond being another pedestrian action flick.

Ink. Horrendous acting. Mostly terrible effects. The directing gets a bit sloppy at times. Clearly it's a limited budget. But despite all that this is actually a pretty solid movie. 79% RT score. When we go to sleep there are two groups - one which gives us nightmares and one that gives us sweet dreams. Nightmare group kidnaps a little girl which sends her into a coma. As she's dragged through the other world the two sides fight over her soul. Only his second movie directed (he wrote it as well though he's won awards for short stories) and it's been compared to early Terry Gilliam/Peter Jackson movies. I agree completely - he borrow very heavily from those playbooks. But those are two great acts to work from. If nothing else I'm going to pay attention to this director's next movie. If he can hone his abilities I think he could be something special. Rave review from Ain't It Cool News.

Currently showing on Hulu for free.

Now something for the action movie fans. I saw this trailer and omgomgomgomg. Very early RT score has it at 100%. It won several film festival awards. 'The Raid' is getting limited release next month. The Raid.

The Tree of Life. Not for me. I could have done without the first 45 minutes and the last twenty. Those parts reminded me of Kubrick's 2001, but seemed more out of place in this movie. Brad Pitts character reminded me of my father, the parts where he was being a ####. Especially the pulling weeds from the lawn and the insane punishments. The nastiness of the older brother was familiar as well, but I don't get how those things connect to the rest of the movie.

Dazed and Confused. I was expecting a comedy more like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Instead, for me this was like "Easy Rider" an honest depiction of a part of the culture at that period of time. I didn't find it funny, at most I'd smile when I'd recognize the same type of person portrayed in the movie that I encountered in my high school days in the late 80's. That just shows that other than the clothing, music and cars, not much has changed since the '70s, teens rebel against authority, they like to get drunk and many do drugs. So what? If the purpose was to show the different categories of people in high school, I feel "The Breakfast Club" did that better and was much more entertaining.

Matthew McConaughey is the character that most people seem to talk about but his character is pretty forgettable when compared to Sean Penn's Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times.

I'm surprised Dazed got an R rating since it doesn't have much sexual content or nudity.

The Tree of Life. Not for me. I could have done without the first 45 minutes and the last twenty. Those parts reminded me of Kubrick's 2001, but seemed more out of place in this movie. Brad Pitts character reminded me of my father, the parts where he was being a ####. Especially the pulling weeds from the lawn and the insane punishments. The nastiness of the older brother was familiar as well, but I don't get how those things connect to the rest of the movie.

Dazed and Confused. I was expecting a comedy more like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Instead, for me this was like "Easy Rider" an honest depiction of a part of the culture at that period of time. I didn't find it funny, at most I'd smile when I'd recognize the same type of person portrayed in the movie that I encountered in my high school days in the late 80's. That just shows that other than the clothing, music and cars, not much has changed since the '70s, teens rebel against authority, they like to get drunk and many do drugs. So what? If the purpose was to show the different categories of people in high school, I feel "The Breakfast Club" did that better and was much more entertaining.

Matthew McConaughey is the character that most people seem to talk about but his character is pretty forgettable when compared to Sean Penn's Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times.

I'm surprised Dazed got an R rating since it doesn't have much sexual content or nudity.

i am guessing its due to the constant references to drugs

i like mcconaughey's few 1 liners but you are spot on with the spicoli comment.

anywho, has anybody ever known of that paddle tradition with the seniors on the freshman ever be true?

Ink. Horrendous acting. Mostly terrible effects. The directing gets a bit sloppy at times. Clearly it's a limited budget. But despite all that this is actually a pretty solid movie. 79% RT score. When we go to sleep there are two groups - one which gives us nightmares and one that gives us sweet dreams. Nightmare group kidnaps a little girl which sends her into a coma. As she's dragged through the other world the two sides fight over her soul. Only his second movie directed (he wrote it as well though he's won awards for short stories) and it's been compared to early Terry Gilliam/Peter Jackson movies. I agree completely - he borrow very heavily from those playbooks. But those are two great acts to work from. If nothing else I'm going to pay attention to this director's next movie. If he can hone his abilities I think he could be something special. Rave review from Ain't It Cool News.

That's an accurate summary. Ink worked for me as well.

Made it about a half hour through Hall Pass with maybe a chuckle or two. Really bad. Maybe I'll give it more of a shot one day. Let me guess, Owen Wilson doesn't cheat. 1.5/5 I give it an extra .5 because of the Australian chick. Does she get naked?

Made it about a half hour through Hall Pass with maybe a chuckle or two. Really bad. Maybe I'll give it more of a shot one day. Let me guess, Owen Wilson doesn't cheat. 1.5/5 I give it an extra .5 because of the Australian chick. Does she get naked?

Sure does.

That's an accurate summary. Ink worked for me as well.
:goodposting:

A Good Ole Fashioned Orgy

Jason Sudeikis is really beginning to grow on me. It's pretty bad, but there is something about crappy low key comedies that make them infinitely watchable for me. I've seen Grown Ups like 5 times even though I hate it.

2.5/5

Sure does.
I knew I shouldn't have deleted it so fast. I'll have to set it to record again.

It's Sean Penn remembering his childhood - he is the older brother.

I'd like to see this just because I've been interested in the SEAL teams ever since I read Richard Marcinko's books. That said, I think once you get past the novelty of seeing real SEAL members acting in a film, the movie doesn't seem to be all that exciting. Clearly, the dialogue is very authentic. But I bet that's not enough to lift this movie beyond being another pedestrian action flick.
How can there even be a movie starring active duty SEAL teams?

They are on rotation. They would burn out pretty quickly otherwise.

They are on rotation. They would burn out pretty quickly otherwise.
But I thought they were supposed to kind of be faceless. How are they allowed to do this?

It's Sean Penn remembering his childhood - he is the older brother.

I understood that and I assume the beach is heaven or something like that. But the most of the first 45 minutes isn't needed, the dinosaur stuff etc. Seems like the either the director was too close to the material that he didn't realize a large part of the audience wasn't going to follow his meaning or he wasn't clear what he was trying to say so he left things ambiguous.

I understood that and I assume the beach is heaven or something like that. But the most of the first 45 minutes isn't needed, the dinosaur stuff etc. Seems like the either the director was too close to the material that he didn't realize a large part of the audience wasn't going to follow his meaning or he wasn't clear what he was trying to say so he left things ambiguous.

there is some chatter about how ToL is at least semi-autobiographical. that said, it's far more allegorical than that. the characters, as loosely as they are constructed and written within the film, follow the narrative that malick starts from the beginning. the VO points to this and the story doesn't really deviate:

[voice over] The nuns taught us there were two ways through life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow.

there is some chatter about how ToL is at least semi-autobiographical. that said, it's far more allegorical than that. the characters, as loosely as they are constructed and written within the film, follow the narrative that malick starts from the beginning. the VO points to this and the story doesn't really deviate:

[voice over] The nuns taught us there were two ways through life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow.

Nuns are dumb.

The Rum Diary is brutal.

I didn't think it was terrible, but I didn't think it was particularly good either. A few funny lines, Depp stellar as usual, Giovanni Ribisi was particularly funny in his supporting role (dude's an underrated actor methinks), and Amber Heard was gorgeous; overall making it decent enough. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone though.

Just got Netflix streaming to replace my cable. First up, watched Limitless last night. For a movie centered about intelligence granting pills, this movie was anything but smart. All kinds of plot holes, inconsistencies, and vapid appeals to adolescent viewers

So what do you do with super intelligence artificially granted by pills? No, not learn chemistry at an advanced level and learn to produce the pills yourself without side effects, you bang women, make money, become a business mogul and run for the Senate. Really? Not to mention the idiotic side plot with the Russian gangster, which of course made no sense at all. And Van Loon, now in possession of the company that made the pills, doesn't use them? (And neither do any of the people manufacturing them ...)

5/10.

Just got Netflix streaming to replace my cable. First up, watched Limitless last night. For a movie centered about intelligence granting pills, this movie was anything but smart. All kinds of plot holes, inconsistencies, and vapid appeals to adolescent viewers

So what do you do with super intelligence artificially granted by pills? No, not learn chemistry at an advanced level and learn to produce the pills yourself without side effects, you bang women, make money, become a business mogul and run for the Senate. Really? Not to mention the idiotic side plot with the Russian gangster, which of course made no sense at all. And Van Loon, now in possession of the company that made the pills, doesn't use them? (And neither do any of the people manufacturing them ...)

5/10.

I can't remember if it was the regular ending or the alternate ending, but as Cooper is walking DeNiro out to his car he mentions that he's re-engineered the pill with the side-effects removed.

The Rum Diary is brutal.

I didn't think it was terrible, but I didn't think it was particularly good either. A few funny lines, Depp stellar as usual, Giovanni Ribisi was particularly funny in his supporting role (dude's an underrated actor methinks), and Amber Heard was gorgeous; overall making it decent enough. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone though.
I agree with Daywalker. Absolutely awful.