What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Eulogy - it was entertaining. it's a dark comedy involving a quirky family gathering together after the father dies. it's nice to see debra winger back in films again. i've always liked her work.Hotel Rwanda - the movie is good. Don Cheadle is very good in it.

The Jacket...... :thumbdown: I thought this movie was better when it was Donnie Darko or The ButterFly Effect. I can't take Kris Kristoferson seriously as a doctor. Adrian Brody was alright in this but I thought it didn't deliver. On the plus side you get to see Kira Knightly's boobies.
Donnie Darko :thumbdown: Butterfly Effect :thumbdown:

The Jacket :shrug:

not bad. not great.. like Adrian Brody. like Kris Kristofferson. Keira Knightley is hot but a bad actress.

coulda been worse.

Hotel Rwanda...... Although billed by some as the African Schindlers List, I thought this movie wasn't as good as Schindler's List in portraying ones struggle to survive. Hotel Rwanda would have been much more powerful if it was a hard R ( it was pg 13) and showed more of the problems going on outside the hotel. That being said, I thought that the movie did a very good job of telling its primary story: that of Paul Rusesabagina and his attempt to save over 1200 Tutsi refugees. Don Cheadle was great.... :thumbup:
:thumbdown: thought this movie could have been much better. acting was mediocre. the story is much deeper than what could be portrayed in a movie. the forced accents killed me. C-.

saw "Hitch" last nite.

"cute" movie. Eva Mendes is smoking hot.

not much of a review other than to say it's a painless chick flick.. something us guys can actually sit through and not want to slit our own throats.

This weekend was Clerks :thumbdown: Didn't last 15 minutes. Didn't like the format, or the black and white. Its lucky it made 15 minute mark.Dreamcatcher. DC was alright. It seemed to be one of those where either Stephen King, or the director, needed to spend another 45 minutes finishing the story. It starts slow (as do all of SK's) and then it builds up, and suddenly, its over. You feel like there should be a second chapter, or dvd, but there's nothing. Good premise, however execution needs work.

This weekend was

Clerks :thumbdown: Didn't last 15 minutes. Didn't like the format, or the black and white. Its lucky it made 15 minute mark.
Dude, try again. Don't give up on it so fast. It's a very high quality flick.

Sin City - Best movie I've seen in a while. Mickey Rourke and Clive Owen are bad-###, and Jessica Alba is so hot I want to crap my pants. Plus, you get to see Carla Gugino's naughty parts.A Very Long Engagement - It's a French movie starring that chick from Aemelie. Very good story, and funny in parts. Plus, a quick look at Audrey Tautou's ####. Jodie Foster has a small role, too. It's strange to hear her speakins French.

Saw Over the Top...... :eek: :excited: :thumbup: .... MEET ME HALFWAY...... ACROSS THE SKY!!!!!....Friday Night Lights.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: This was one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Good soundtrack, good directing and good acting. BOOBIE MILES LIVES!!!!

This weekend was

Clerks :thumbdown: Didn't last 15 minutes. Didn't like the format, or the black and white. Its lucky it made 15 minute mark.
You're not allow to rent here anymore !!!Rewatch it, and thank us later....

The wife and I watched Man of the House last night. We thought it was pretty funny.

Kinsey. Great movie about '40s sex researcher Alfred Kinsey. Liam Neeson does a great job as Kinsey. Although not a comedy, it has some very funny parts. Thought provoking as well. Four stars.(However, if you have any sexual hang-ups, this movie is not for you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the movies I see are rentals, so I think I'm out of the loop. Anyway,Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Watched it a couple times and actually liked it a lot more the second time because I could follow it a lot better and it made more sense. Don't watch it with someone who likes to talk a lot. The Woodsman: Kevin Bacon as a child sex offender who tries to cope with life after being released from prison. I've read people say this movie glorifies child molesters. If Silence of the Lambs glorified cannibals, I guess that's true. It's dark but it's thought provoking and well-done, in my opinion.Meet the ####ers: Blar. I wish I did, but I just don't find 'Dog being flushed down the toilet by the cat' scenes funny. P.S. I hate Barbara Streisand. Hitch: Fell asleep in the middle of it.Everyday People: Why did I rent this??? Neighborhood restaurant is being sold and closed down due to big bad developers and such. Kinda preachy and hum drum. I just wanted it to end. The actors were pretty much all unknowns, wonder why. Closer: Meh. Like the actors, so I thought it would be better than it was. I found it depressing and slow. The message was, people suck. Which I already knew.Jersey State: Very good movie. Liked the whole thing- the ending, the characters, editing, etc.Aviator: Was okay. Seemed like the typical Hollywood blockbuster thing to me. It is what it is. I'm not a big Leonardo fan. But it was interesting. Cool plane scenes. Gwen Stefani not doing much. Planes. Fake Katharine Hepburns. Planes. Milk bottles. Planes. Soap. Planes.

Kung Fu Hustle: Slapstick kung-fu! Everyone has probably seen it already. Fun. :thumbup: :thumbup: :popcorn:

In the Mood for Love: Great, great, great film. It will not be for everyone since it's slow, subtitled and the ending is a little weird. The cinematography is fantastic and I think this makes my top 25. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sling Blade: Predictable, but I still liked it, yet I'm not sure why. :thumbup:

2001: A Space Odyssey: Long, slow. I fell asleep, partly because it was after midnight and I had been up all day. :unsure: :sleep:

Vanilla Sky: Not really sure what to think. It was good and I enjoyed it, but it was maybe not as memorable as a Memento. Since the story is explained to you at the end(and I guess there is a debate as to whether or not that is the truth) there's little left for the audience to figure out for themselves. I've read that if you watch it again you may notice some things that may change your view about said explanation, but I don't really have any desire to watch it again. :shrug:

Most of the movies I see are rentals, so I think I'm out of the loop. Anyway,

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Watched it a couple times and actually liked it a lot more the second time because I could follow it a lot better and it made more sense. Don't watch it with someone who likes to talk a lot.

The Woodsman: Kevin Bacon as a child sex offender who tries to cope with life after being released from prison. I've read people say this movie glorifies child molesters. If Silence of the Lambs glorified cannibals, I guess that's true. It's dark but it's thought provoking and well-done, in my opinion.

Jersey State: Very good movie. Liked the whole thing- the ending, the characters, editing, etc.

Aviator: Was okay. Seemed like the typical Hollywood blockbuster thing to me. It is what it is. I'm not a big Leonardo fan. But it was interesting. Cool plane scenes. Gwen Stefani not doing much. Planes. Fake Katharine Hepburns. Planes. Milk bottles. Planes. Soap. Planes.
I really liked Eternal Sunshine the first time, I should watch it again. I had absolutley no idea what the Woodsman was about when I rented it. It's a tough subject but Kevin Bacon was great. I guess I really should rent Jersey State and I still have no interest in renting The Aviator.

I :heart: Hucakbees..... ehhhh...it was alright.

Mulholland Drive........ :thumbdown:

Haunted Mansion........ For what it was it kept my attention. Not exactly Hamlet.

Bortherhood of the Wolf........ :thumbdown:

Lost in Translation...... Excellent.

American Beauty.........Excellent.
I agree on every count.

I finally saw this over the weekend, and I would agree :thumbup: . Completely different kind of movie, just like a comic book brought to life. I was amazed at the number of "names" in it. I knew about those that had been advertized, but didn't know about the bit parts of some other folks.

We rented The Pacifier this weekend. It's not really that funny but it's not bad for something kid friendly. It had a suprising lack of angst considering the setup.

Downfall - Story of Hitler in his bunker as WWII was ending. Very interesting. Them Nazi's weren't right in the head, boy. :no:Very good movie, though.

In America ...... :thumbup: Pretty good. The little girls in the movie were the best actors.

The Machinist...... :thumbup: I liked the Machinist but I realize that the real allure to this movie is looking at a 121 lb Christian Bale shamble around like a Holocaust survivor. If the movie was done with a less dedicated (or more sane) actor who didn't feel the need to lose over 100lbs ( I didn't feel the weight loss was essential to the movies story ), it would have been only an average movie. Christian Bale was disgusting in that movie, yet he shared a similar trait to the (for you Seinfeld fans ) Kramer painting done by one of Jerrys girlfriends...

"He is a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't

look away!"

League of ExtraOrdinary Gentlemen - :no: ehhh. Steampunk is a weird thing. Its kind of like mindless action for literary nerds. After all, how would some hucklebilly know about the backstory of characters like Dorian Gray, Dr. Jeckyl or Captain Nemo? I thought the special effects sucked and the casting was ordinary. As much as I like Sir Sean Connery.... he isn't a very good actor. And Stuart Townsend has to be the biggest moron in Hollywood, what with him being kicked out of the Lord of the Rings trilogy for having creative differences with Peter Jackson.

Just started watching the remake of "The Longest Yard." Courtney Cox's suddenly enormous chest makes it worth a rental if nothing else.

Just started watching the remake of "The Longest Yard." Courtney Cox's suddenly enormous chest makes it worth a rental if nothing else.
Is this true?Now I must rent it. I had no plans to before.

I just watched "The September Tapes" it is a documentary about a guy traveling to Afghanistan to find out for himself the answers about the terrorists who attacked America. I thought it was OK for a rental; horrible acting but the storyline is good. C+Anyone have any horror recommendations?

Saw Over the Top...... :eek: :excited: :thumbup: .... MEET ME HALFWAY...... ACROSS THE SKY!!!!!....

Friday Night Lights.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: This was one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Good soundtrack, good directing and good acting. BOOBIE MILES LIVES!!!!
Love the book Friday Night Lights and enjoyed the movie but the direction relative to the football scenes is laughable. On many occasions, they would start a play on the 35 yrd line and gain 15 yrds yet the next snap would be from the 35 yrd line again. :lmao: :lmao: Too many inconsistencies for me to say that it was a well directed movie.

Watched three yesterday.This boys life - DiCaprio plays a likable teen who has to deal with an ahole stepdad (DeNiro). Pretty good.Swimming with sharks - Kevin Spacey as a film executive. This sucked.Return to Paradise - Vince Vaughn and some other guy have to decide whether to go back to Malaysia to save their buddy from getting killed. If they stay in the states he dies, if they go back they get to spend time in a Malaysian prison. This one was great.

The Devils Rejects- If you got into Rob Zombies first effort, you'll like this one even more. I hated the end of House of a 1000 Corpses because it got too hokey.Rob Zombie got it right with this one. It never got too comicy. It was a belivevable story of some sick bastards.Mr. and Mrs. Smith.- I never made it all the way through the movie. My wife did, maybe you should ask her what she thought. I was dissapointed because I hoped I would like it.

The Corporation - Documentary about the rise of the corporation and its role in the world today. I liked it. A lot of the stories were interesting. It did get leftist-preachy to the point of being comedy in parts.The Seachers - The highest rated John Wayne movie at IMDB. It's about a Civil War veteran who spends years searching for a niece who has been kidnapped by Indians. I'd read that it was supposed to have some deeper meaning about things, but it seemed just like another John Wayne movie to me.

Layer Cake, :thumbup:
Watched this last night. Seemed average at best. Pretty run of the mill drug movie. My only recommendation here is to leave the subtitles on or find the language option for English (USA).

The Machinist -- Christian Bale loses 60 lbs and his mind (8/10)Murderball -- Quadripeligic Rugby players (9/10)

War of the Worlds - Very poorly done. So many inconsistencies (e.g., all electronic devices not working after pulse storm, but video camera was working fine?) made it ridiculous.21 Grams - Meh. Good concept, but it kind of just seemed to fall flat. Never really developed any real attachment to the characters. Naomi Watts is fine as hell, though.

House of a 1000 Corpses - hated it. It was recommended to me because I am a huge fan of TCM, this movie is horrible.

Session 9 - Great concept but the director needs to take some film classes. The acting was OK but the potential for the movie was wasted due to poor direction.

Paths of Glory GREAT MOVIE - made in 1957 by Kubrick. Set in WWI this is a timeless classic that is as true today as ever.

Has anyone seen SAW2 yet?

War of the Worlds - Very poorly done. So many inconsistencies (e.g., all electronic devices not working after pulse storm, but video camera was working fine?) made it ridiculous.
Also saw this last week. Along those lines, how come nobody else could figure out how to get their cars working? Tom Cruise was the only one that came up with the idea.The special effects were fun, but I thought they were too little and far between. I prefer Independence Day.

We also rented the original Transporter. Not as good as the sequel, but still a fun movie. :thumbup:

TIVO'd "Tae Guk Gi : Brotherhood of War" and thought it was awesome. One of the best war movies I've ever seen.Rented the Devil's Rejects and it just made me feel dirty watching it. Sickening, depraved, and perverted, but could have been worse. Better direction from Rob Zombie than his first effort. Nice to see Ginger Lynn Allen getting work too.

Duece Bigelow: European Gigelow = 3 out of 10...pretty raunchy, not nearly as funny as the first one

Batman Begins = 7 out of 10...bring back Michael Keaton as Batman!

Duece Bigelow: European Gigelow = 3 out of 10...pretty raunchy, not nearly as funny as the first one
Less funny than the original? That's unpossible!
:lol: , I should have qualified that by saying it was only comparing the first to the 2nd...not either to ANY OTHER movie....both are on a level by themselves, WAAAYY below other comedies (in value of funniness)

War of the Worlds - Very poorly done.  So many inconsistencies (e.g., all electronic devices not working after pulse storm, but video camera was working fine?) made it ridiculous.
Also saw this last week. Along those lines, how come nobody else could figure out how to get their cars working? Tom Cruise was the only one that came up with the idea.
You don't know about the history of auto repair. Tom Cruise does. :angry: Other observations of ridiculousness (spoiler alert on #3):

1. Multiple plane crashes destroy an entire neigborhood. Their van? Not a scratch.

2. Aliens are doing house-to-house searches out in the middle of farm country, but Boston is pretty much untouched.

3. Stupid son is right in the middle of the giant fireball at the top of the hill, yet is amazingly unharmed!

Layer Cake, :thumbup:
Watched this last night. Seemed average at best. Pretty run of the mill drug movie. My only recommendation here is to leave the subtitles on or find the language option for English (USA).
So you thought Layer Cake was average, couldn't understand it even though it was in English (which probably explains that you didn't quite get everything), thought Swimming With Sharks sucked, but Vince Vaughn in Return to Paradise was great...Bizzaro world man.

National Treasure. It was ok. I like the American History aspects as I find history in general to be very interesting. However, there were a number of scenes that simply didn't flow with the movie as well as conclusions that were jumped to that had no basis. That could have been more of an editing issue, at least for some of the problems. I really want to see Layer Cake and that will probably be my next rental.

old boy... strange but excellent korean movie... sort of a cross between memento, pulp fiction & count of monte cristo.don't watch with your three year old or grandma... disturbing content... can't get into why or it would be worst spoiler ever & defeat purpose of seeing movie...man is kidnapped & put in secret prison for 15 years... after nearly going insane (he doesn't know who or why), he is released, finds out his wife has been killed, he has been framed & he only has a cell phone where he gets occasional cryptic clues, a wallet full of money & five days to find out the answer.well paced & the clues are given out at right time... plot twists kept coming right to the end.* didn't read whole thread, so not sure if this was already mentioned. i would definitely watch what this guy does in the future based on this... also not sure, but may have gotten tarantino impratur (seal of approval). dark but compelling & brilliantly structured... some very original fade ins & fade outs & juxtapositions of present & past i hadn't quite seen before.

Users who are viewing this thread