What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lofa Tatupu (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
aside from whether scouts or the casual fan have an opinion about whether tatupu will turn out to be a player or not (i happen to think so, based on little film i have seen and trying to weigh sometimes conflicting scouting reports)... i have heard some say he is too small... maybe they are referring to when he supposedly played about 225 at UDC... i thought at combine & during pro day he was listed at about 240... since vilma was supposedly undersized at 230 but thrived (DROY), this would seem to ease that concern... peterson plays at about 235... of course vilma hasn't strung together many seasons, so it remains to be seen if he can hold up... it didn't prevent us from taking him high in one league last season... arguably a 240 or 250 lb player might hold up better... don't have stats at hand on whether big LBs don't suffer catatstrophic injuries as much as not so big ones... intuitively it might seem so, but smaller guys might be quicker & could avoid kill shots better?so if anybody else doesn't think he will make it, just wondering if size was one of the reasons.this could lead to general question... what is a good size for a MLB... conversely when is a guy too big to be WLB?not as empty, abstract exercise, but it might help us suss out rookie LBs better for dynasty purposes.

I have heard a couple of GM/scouts say that size can be overrated for LBs. Even the ones where no one questions thier size Urlacher/Lewis/Kendral Bell, can't regularly take on 300+ pound OLman. What you want to look for are the ability to read plays, secure tackling, instincts and leadership. Dat Nyugen, Al Wilson, and Zach Thomas are current guys who were too small but have been good pro middle LBs.

I feel size is a bit overrated....(I sound like DR, Ruth :yucky: ) Good instincts and good football intel are more important, espcially inside.I'm with ya on Tatupa, Bob.Good size for MLB, someone like Ruud 6-2 245-250For WLB, I don't know, obviously you have to be athletic, speedy, sideline to sideline player first. Guessing 245 range.

Some of the League's smaller MLB's (ie. Quarles and Peterson) weigh in the 225-230 range. This is obviously more of the exception as opposed to the norm. The majority of NFL MLB's seem to fall somewhere near 240 or so.Regarding the WLB position, the name of the game is "speed". Unless a WLB has the physical gift of LaVar Arrington (250+ with 4.5/40 speed), chances are he'll need to weigh less than 250 in order to maintain the speed needed to both pursue and drop into coverage. Unlike SLB's and even MLB's, WLB's do not (normally) encounter many OL and TE's. As long as they're big enough to bring-down the ball carrier with consistency, they're big enough to play WLB. I do know Raynoch Thompson was playing WLB for the Cardinals the past few years and he was "tipping" the scales at no more than 215. Thompson may not be the best example of success w/o size, but it now appears as if Thompson may be the starting WLB for the Packers this year.Other smallish WLB's starting in the NFL are James Davis - DET (220), Ian Gold - DEN (225), Barrett Green - NYG (225), Keith Adams - PHI (225), and Wil Witherspoon - CAR (230).

Users who are viewing this thread