What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zealots trade help (1 Viewer)

mlbnfl

Footballguy
Hello,I have this trade on the table, and wanted to get some opinions. This is in a zealots league(1st year, in round 33 now). Well Im a bit scared of the Cato June/Gilbert Gardner situation. Here is the deal on the table:I give Cato June, Boo Williams, vet pick 36.10 and a 2nd round rookie pick next year for Lance Briggs, vet pick 41.7 and a 4th round rookie pick next year.My TEs are(start 1):Randy McMichaelBoo WilliamsTeyo JohnsonKris WilsonLBs(start 2-3):Will WItherspoonAl WilsonCAto JuneDemorrio WilliamsDontarrious ThomasAnd I would still have a 2nd round rookie pick next year, I currently have two.Im thinkin this would give me a pretty solid startin 3 in Witherspoon, Al Wilson and Briggs. Is it worth it?ThanksEdit to add: If it makes any diff, Lance Briggs was taken 11.1, Cato June was taken 22.7 and Boo Williams was taken 31.12(12 team league, so last pick of 31st).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard for me to break that one down, because off too many components, but there are no red flags for me to say no.

I mean the vet picks really mean nothing. Its basically is the gap from Boo Williams/Cato June to Briggs big enough for a 2nd to 4th rookie drop next year.

I mean the vet picks really mean nothing. Its basically is the gap from Boo Williams/Cato June to Briggs big enough for a 2nd to 4th rookie drop next year.
I'm a Briggs owner. I've heard a lot of talk about how his numbers will decline with a healthy Urlacher this year. It peeked my interest, so I did some number hunting. Seems that in the games where both played, Briggs averaged only 1 1/2 points less than when Urk was out. Briggs was the #4 LB in our scoring last year for WISW. I say do the deal. The projections have him listed WAY down as far as I'm concerned as well, as no one to my knowledge has stated just why.

Also weighing in favor of the deal is Boo's questionable status as discussed in the main Shark Pool recently ... he could lose his job to Zach Hilton or Shad Meier and is in some danger of being cut if he does not perform well in camp ...

I wouldn't do the deal based on the rookie picks alone. They are probably the most valuable components of this deal. Zealots has a scoring system that really doesn't reward IDPs very well. With question marks surrounding both June and Briggs I wouldn't bother making the swap.

Actually, with the rules changes over the past year, Zealots does a very good job of scoring IDPs. Many teams are approaching 45-50% of their scores being from IDP. I prefer leagues that give the offense more scoring, so I think Zealots is just about right. I won my Zealots championship last year with significant support from my IDPs.As far as the question posed here, I see no red flags in such a trade.

I think you should absolutely make this deal. Briggs will be a stud for a few years. All the other stuff is irrelevent in my eyes.

Actually, with the rules changes over the past year, Zealots does a very good job of scoring IDPs. Many teams are approaching 45-50% of their scores being from IDP. I prefer leagues that give the offense more scoring, so I think Zealots is just about right. I won my Zealots championship last year with significant support from my IDPs.
In Z5 it is quite the opposite.Our league champ had 36.5% defensive scoring, runner-up had 36.8% defensive. I had a crap team (finished 8th) and was around 32% defensive. The last place team had 39.3% defensive.

Actually, with the rules changes over the past year, Zealots does a very good job of scoring IDPs. Many teams are approaching 45-50% of their scores being from IDP. I prefer leagues that give the offense more scoring, so I think Zealots is just about right. I won my Zealots championship last year with significant support from my IDPs.

As far as the question posed here, I see no red flags in such a trade.
My Zealots squad scored a very modest 96 points per game last year. Even if we take that low figure, that would mean my 8 IDPs last year would have had to average 10.8 to 12 ppg in order to represent 45-50% of my total production. Even if you owned Peppers, Williams, Bullock, Edwards, Spikes, Reed, McGee and Harrison, the top 8 IDP you could have owned last year, you would only have averaged a little more than 10 ppg from them. The best IDP group possible wouldn't have even reached the 45% mark even when placed against my mediocre offense.

This year there is a 9th IDP being added to our lineups but even that won't have a significant effect on increasing IDP value. It is just WAY TO EASY to find good talent on waivers or in a rookie draft.

A 2nd round rookie pick can easily acquire a good offensive prospect in a Zealot rookie draft. At worst it will land you the #1 IDP talent.

This year there is a 9th IDP being added to our lineups but even that won't have a significant effect on increasing IDP value.
Unless I completely missed something it is still 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, and 2 flex spots (not to exceed 3 for one position).

This year there is a 9th IDP being added to our lineups but even that won't have a significant effect on increasing IDP value.
Unless I completely missed something it is still 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, and 2 flex spots (not to exceed 3 for one position).
I wanted to check the invision boards before I posted that but they are down. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the IDPs had been increased, but I could be wrong. If I am it only means that IDPs will remain as weak as they are now.

I wanted to check the invision boards before I posted that but they are down. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the IDPs had been increased, but I could be wrong. If I am it only means that IDPs will remain as weak as they are now.
reg is right the last i saw it was 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, and 2 flex spots (not to exceed 3 for one position).

Actually, with the rules changes over the past year, Zealots does a very good job of scoring IDPs.  Many teams are approaching 45-50% of their scores being from IDP.  I prefer leagues that give the offense more scoring, so I think Zealots is just about right.  I won my Zealots championship last year with significant support from my IDPs.

My Zealots squad scored a very modest 96 points per game last year. Even if we take that low figure, that would mean my 8 IDPs last year would have had to average 10.8 to 12 ppg in order to represent 45-50% of my total production. Even if you owned Peppers, Williams, Bullock, Edwards, Spikes, Reed, McGee and Harrison, the top 8 IDP you could have owned last year, you would only have averaged a little more than 10 ppg from them. The best IDP group possible wouldn't have even reached the 45% mark even when placed against my mediocre offense.

This year there is a 9th IDP being added to our lineups but even that won't have a significant effect on increasing IDP value. It is just WAY TO EASY to find good talent on waivers or in a rookie draft.

A 2nd round rookie pick can easily acquire a good offensive prospect in a Zealot rookie draft. At worst it will land you the #1 IDP talent.
Except for the whole "9th IDP" thing, this is a great post!

Reg and Spike are correct Zealots have not added an "extra" IDP position. There was a bill up for vote to increase scoring for tackles but was soundly defeated.The previous year we did add the extra flex position for IDPs.So that could be why there is a bit of confusion.

You guys are right. I went back and did an actual percentage breakdown of my weekly starters last season and found that my championship team's defenders scored 39.84% of my overall score. Still pretty good to get 40% IDP score when I start Culpepper.Regardless, I still like having the offense score more than defense. I hope Zealots never goes to a 50/50 scoring scheme.

Actually, with the rules changes over the past year, Zealots does a very good job of scoring IDPs.  Many teams are approaching 45-50% of their scores being from IDP.  I prefer leagues that give the offense more scoring, so I think Zealots is just about right.  I won my Zealots championship last year with significant support from my IDPs.

Except for the whole "9th IDP" thing, this is a great post!
That and the fact that its not a good post.96 points, eh? 45% would be 43.2 points from your IDPs. You're looking for 5.4 points out of each of them.

This is blatantly obvious. 8 IDPs x 10.8 points would give you 86.4 points from your defense.

Were talking 45% of the total points scored. 43.2 points is only 45% of my offensive points.

Have faith grasshopper. Trust the post and you will find enlightenment.

Were talking 45% of the total points scored. 43.2 points is only 45% of my offensive points.

Have faith grasshopper. Trust the post and you will find enlightenment.
No clearer, sensai. :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread