Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm running Virtual PC 7.0 on a G4 Powerbook. Installed XP Home. DD running fine so far. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.Anything in particular I should be wary of?

For interested parties, here are some screen captures. When in full screen mode it looks and feels just like I working on a PC.

Mac guy here running DD on Virtual PC.Dave, have you tried importing the VBD app into DD? I used the VBD app to change the projections because the DD help doc said it's easier. I used Excel for Mac since that's the only copy of Excel I have. But when I copied the file onto the Windows desktop in Virtual PC and attempted to import it into DD, I got the error message "Active X component can't create object" then "error reading VBD excel spreadsheet."Sounds like there's some incompatibility in reading a Mac-saved Excel doc, which is strange because I've never had any problem opening Windows created Excel docs in my Excel for Mac.Any suggestions?

Mac guy here running DD on Virtual PC.

Dave, have you tried importing the VBD app into DD?

I used the VBD app to change the projections because the DD help doc said it's easier. I used Excel for Mac since that's the only copy of Excel I have. But when I copied the file onto the Windows desktop in Virtual PC and attempted to import it into DD, I got the error message "Active X component can't create object" then "error reading VBD excel spreadsheet."

Sounds like there's some incompatibility in reading a Mac-saved Excel doc, which is strange because I've never had any problem opening Windows created Excel docs in my Excel for Mac.

Any suggestions?

I don't think Active X is installed on the Virtual machine that gets created using Virtual PC. I think you have to install it in some way. I've remember installing lots of poker software from Internet Explorer and getting asked if I wanted to install Active X (or something like that). Otherwise I'm stumped.

Actually, I've found its easiest to just remove the old version of Dominator and install it a second time from the website with the newer projections already built in. Is this a possibility for you?

Well, the reason I'm importing projections is that I want to enter my own, so just going with the newest version of the DD isn't going to work. Obviously, I can change the projections in the DD, but since I've spent a few hours plugging them into the VBD app, that would be a drag.Interestingly, I tried importing an unmodified, virgin download of the latest VBD app (I even downloaded it through IE in Windows withing Virtual PC) and I STILL got the same error, so it doesn't seem like something the Mac or Mac Excel is doing to the file.I think it might be something like the person in the other VBD error thread posted— If you don't have Excel for Windows installed, Windows gives you an error message. Maybe it needs Excel installed in order to identify an Excel file? He said that simply installing a copy on his PC instantly eliminated the error.Anyway, by the time I figure out how to import, I could reenter all my projections directly into DD, so I guess that's what I'll do.Maybe if we could figure this out, it can help other Mac folks down the line, though.

anybody have $249 for virtualpc 7? no, oh. oh okay. sorry.

Ditto. I got all fired up last year when it was explained that all I needed was Virtual PC.

Made sense and seemed simple enough. Then I found out it cost $250.

D-oh.

Alright, then.

I'm running Virtual PC 7.0 on a G4 Powerbook. Installed XP Home. DD running fine so far. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Anything in particular I should be wary of?

Thanks David. Super Cool to include our Mac Brethren for the DD. :thumbup:

J

Hi Dave,

Seems to be quite a few of us with Macs who are having difficulty downloading and installling draft dominator. I remember posting a message on the board (I think it was last year or the year before) and asked for help. I didn't have Excel on my old PC. Another forum member sent me the link to allow me to download an excel viewer and it worked fine.

But last year I "upgraded" to a Mac OS X and have been unable to download the DD and open it. It downloads ok, but I don't have anything to open it. I do have something called Stuffit but it tries to open it and then shuts down.

I do hope there is a way for you to help us poor Apple OS X users. Or do I have to junk my computer and go and buy a new PC just to have access to the DD?

Thanks.

I do hope there is a way for you to help us poor Apple OS X users. Or do I have to junk my computer and go and buy a new PC just to have access to the DD?

The Draft Dominator and Projections Dominator are native Windows applications. I've been told that you can install Windows on the new Intel Macs. You can also use VirtualPC to run the Draft Dominator and Projections Dominator on a Mac. I saw the DD running on Shick's Mac in Vegas using VirtualPC, and there was no difference at all.

The VBD Spreadsheet App will work on a mac if you have MS Excel.

Another option is to buy an inexpensive (possible used) windows laptop, or borrow a windows laptop from a friend or work.

Thanks Bruce. But the Virtual PC is too expensive and I don't MS EXcel on my Apple. I went to the library to try to use it but the library doesn't allow Macros. Perhaps I'll try my luck with someone else's computer. I sent you an email about this; please ignore it (unless you come up with another application for DD for Macs.

The reason peeps use Macs are to stay away from the virus ridden, totally unsecure Windows platform. So how about getting into the 21st century and getting this to run on a mac.

I would love to see this ported for use on the mac. I have office for the mac running on my laptop, but that is really about the only thing made by Microsoft that I want to have run on my laptop. I have another windows machine but I have everything else on my mac and would really love to use my speedy mac at the draft instead of my slow windows machine which is bound to crash.

Any possibility of this would really be outstanding.

I just installed parallels and then added the windows xp VM and this works like a champ. Parallels install was very simple and no issues at all. $79 investment is worth it.

We Mac users should get a discounted price or something. I paid thinking the DD would be the best thing on this site. The other stuff is cool, but I need the most help with my draft. I'm not about to run out and drop $250 for something that I tried to avoid by buying my Mac.

Anyone try the WINE thing?

I'm also curious if anyone has tried the WINE software?

I'm generally very leery of loading relatively unknown apps onto my MAC. Something seems to always go wrong.

So, anyone tried this WINE app?

I use both Bootcamp and Parallels and they both work well. Bootcamp is superior for giving you a full sized screen for the DD but I can't print in the application yet (probably need to install drivers ehh?)

Parallels also works very well but the display is only that of a 9" display and DD items start to overlap and get crowded. I can't print from Parallels either. The benefit of Parallels is that you can have the Mac OS and apps open simultaneously with the Parallels, you have to reboot to get back to Mac in Bootcamp.

I use both Bootcamp and Parallels and they both work well. Bootcamp is superior for giving you a full sized screen for the DD but I can't print in the application yet (probably need to install drivers ehh?)Parallels also works very well but the display is only that of a 9" display and DD items start to overlap and get crowded. I can't print from Parallels either. The benefit of Parallels is that you can have the Mac OS and apps open simultaneously with the Parallels, you have to reboot to get back to Mac in Bootcamp.

How does one download either Bootcamp or Parallels? And are they free?

wine (at least under various flavors of unix) cannot run the Draft Dominator application. Looks like the app hacks up some OLE extensions which wine can not readily override, leading to a nice segfault.

wine (at least under various flavors of unix) cannot run the Draft Dominator application. Looks like the app hacks up some OLE extensions which wine can not readily override, leading to a nice segfault.

VMWare has a new product called Fusion that runs on Mac. I download a trial the other day and installed XP on the VM. I'm going to try installing DD next so I'll give you guys a report. I expect it to work fine. VM Fusion is quite a bit cheaper than Virtual PC (currently $59 after rebate...assuming you have a copy of Windows).

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/?url...CFQGdPAodvCUrwg

Mitch

I don't understand why it isn't compatible with a mac either. With the popularity of the macbooks, this is the one feature that DD needs.

Sonny, you need to download Bootcamp for Mac and then partition your HD. Then download DD into windows. When you use bootcamp it disables a lot of options that you use while using the mac but it gets DD to work.

Bruce and Co. really should add mac compatibility IMO.

Blows that there isn't a way of getting DD on a mac without having to get into a windows environment. Not being a computer savvy individual, I was hoping my Office for Mac would allow me to run the program. Come on Football guys, bring in some outside help if you need to so us mac users can run the program. More and more people are going to Macs these days.

Blows that there isn't a way of getting DD on a mac without having to get into a windows environment. Not being a computer savvy individual, I was hoping my Office for Mac would allow me to run the program. Come on Football guys, bring in some outside help if you need to so us mac users can run the program. More and more people are going to Macs these days.

I agree with this post......are we getting any further with this?

+1

I too have "Parallels" installed on my Macbook Pro. DD and related products works well on my Mac.

With the introduction of the new line of MacBooks, I will buy one before the end of the year. This will spill the end of "Parallels" and any Microsoft related products. So, bye bye to the DD family as my subscription runs out. I'm just tired of running Parallels when the DD family of stuff is the only thing I run on it at this time.

FootballGuys don't corner the market on Draft Dominator types. So, Not the end the world.

Whether you're part of the "Apple" user group or not, it cannot be ignored that Apple Inc. dominates the notebook market.

Yes, let's be clear. According to NETAPPLICATIONS, computers running a flavor of a Windows OS account for around 92% of all the computers accessing the internet. Computers running a Mac OS account for around 6.5% and then a few others fill in the rest.

So you are asking FBGs to cater to less than 10% of their subscribers? Really?? Macbooks are dominate, but only is sales of laptops that cost over $1200. If you are spending a premium on your notebook then a little more for Virtual PC or Parallels shouldn't bother you!

It is unreasonable to ask a mac user to buy a potentially expensive Parallels/Bootcamp/whatever solution to get a faulty windows operating system to work on a previously smooth running mac. Everyone I talk to that has installed windows on their mac has reported problems. WINDOWS SUCKS and I don't want my mac to start sucking as it gets infected with Windows.

Also, to say that only 6% of computer users use macs doesn't take into account that the type of people that pay for a fantasy football site are more likely to have money, be younger, more tech savvy, and in generally more likely to use a mac than the average computer user. I'm not saying it's 50%, but it's probably a lot higher than 6%.

Even if it's only 10% of their potential customers using a mac, is it good business sense to cut out 10% of your customers? How much money can it really cost to make the program mac compatible? They made an iphone app, why not a mac app.

You guys using a Mac need to look into Virtual Box.... It's free and you can install windows on top of OS X.. I haven't used a MAC because Linux Ubuntu is just as good and free :). I've used Virtual Box for over year and is works perfectly on a Linux laptop for me.. I'm sure it would work for a MAC as it is also a form of Linux.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads Here is a link to the free download site.. Check it out it might be a solution to your demands.. If you use a MAC or Linux you have to understand a majority of the world uses Windows and adapt... Virtual Box is a tool that can help you with that...

Now, if we could have a DD for a smart phones that would be sick ;)

PS. Virtual Box will not infect your MAC with windows, it's an app that runs on top of OSX and it can be shut down like any other app.. You can even control the resources it's allowed to use(RAM/hard drive etc.).. It's a very slick software.. Many guys run huge resource hog Video Games with it.. It's Backed by SUN and ORACLE 2 stall-worths in the server computing world..

You guys using a Mac need to look into Virtual Box.... It's free and you can install windows on top of OS X.. I haven't used a MAC because Linux Ubuntu is just as good and free :). I've used Virtual Box for over year and is works perfectly on a Linux laptop for me.. I'm sure it would work for a MAC as it is also a form of Linux.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads Here is a link to the free download site.. Check it out it might be a solution to your demands.. If you use a MAC or Linux you have to understand a majority of the world uses Windows and adapt... Virtual Box is a tool that can help you with that...

Now, if we could have a DD for a smart phones that would be sick ;)

PS. Virtual Box will not infect your MAC with windows, it's an app that runs on top of OSX and it can be shut down like any other app.. You can even control the resources it's allowed to use(RAM/hard drive etc.).. It's a very slick software.. Many guys run huge resource hog Video Games with it.. It's Backed by SUN and ORACLE 2 stall-worths in the server computing world..

Thanks for the suggestion Donnie, I downloaded VirtualBox this weekend and setup my "virtual PC". I've got Draft Dominator and Projections Dominator loaded and they appear to be working flawlessly. I love that it's just an application on my MacBook Pro that can be opened and closed just like any other App.

Obviously a Mac dedicated Draft Dominator would be preferable, but in the mean time, I would definitely recommend this option for Mac users.

Just FYI, Projections Dominator runs on a Mac with CrossOver but Draft Dominator does not.

Crossover is a Mac application that allows Windows apps to run directly on an Intel-based Mac by supplying aliases for Windows functions. It's modestly priced (about half the price of Parallels or VMFusion) and does not require a Windows license. Apps run at normal speed because they are basically "native". Windows versions of Office, Quicken, and loads of other programs are supported by Crossover and run just fine directly on the MacBook.

I normally run PD and DD on Windows XP and Parallels on my MacBook Pro, but I recently discovered that Projections Dominator will run directly on the Mac as long as it's installed as a CrossOver app. It updates, prints, and appears to work perfectly. But there's some internal issue that prevents Draft Dominator from running.

If the moderators would like to help, I am willing to interface between the CrossOver developers and your guys to see if we can't make Draft Dominator work as well as Projections Dominator.

just switched from PC to Mac, only to find out that DD doesn't work on Mac??? Yikes. I need help figuring out tohow to get it to work. I downloaded Virtual Box, but it is asking me for the boot disk. Huh??? Help....

just switched from PC to Mac, only to find out that DD doesn't work on Mac??? Yikes. I need help figuring out tohow to get it to work. I downloaded Virtual Box, but it is asking me for the boot disk. Huh??? Help....

Did you try downloading the DD for Mac? http://footballguys.com/13download9.php

yes, downloaded it. only seems to support basic features, but not Mock draft which is critical for me...

yes, downloaded it. only seems to support basic features, but not Mock draft which is critical for me...

The only way I've been able to mock is to do just run a draft and then clear teams at the end. Bruce Henderson is supposed to be the development guy on this, so it might be worth sending him a PM. I've been able to find workarounds for most of my issues. (Running mock drafts as regular drafts, adding to the player notes section to change WR#220 into Tyler Wilson)

so how would I do Keepers? Does not show up anywhere?

How many keepers do you have and how do you work them?

My league keeps six, allows draft picks trades and requires you to keep a guy in the round he was drafted (and acquire picks for certain rounds if you need to keep more than 1 guy. For instance I have Harvin and McFadden who are both 8th round picks, so I need to pick an extra 8th up somewhere.)

First thing I do is go into setup and assign teams under team name. I sucked last year, so I have the third pick.

Then I go to setup->pick order and set the draft order to straight (that may be different for your league, but we figure the guys that finished worst need the help each round)

Next, I use the draft status window to assign keepers. Because I have to match keepers up with rounds/picks I select the player from the player pool window, then go back to the draft status window to select the team, round and pick. If a person has more than 1 pick in a round the draft status window automatically puts up that person's first pick in the round, so you may need to change the pick. After that's done I check the keeper box and click move player.

Then just repeat the process for each keeper.

If you don't need to select rounds you can move keepers by selecting round 0 to put them on teams before the draft. If some people only keep 3 while others keep 5, and the people with fewer keepers draft first, once someone would draft you would have the other teams keeping in round 1...round 2...round 3 if need be.