What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis worries ? (1 Viewer)

Right...I would contend that Jam isn't worth a 1st round pick, but he's certainly worth a 2nd rounder (mid 2nd) even in my less enthusiastic estimation. So it would hardly be a leap for someone to take him late 1st. I just don't think there's any value in that move, particularly because I believe he has almost no shot at being a top 5 RB.
Correct. However, assuming (for example) that Tomlinson, Alexander, James, Holmes, McAllister, McGahee, Portis, Barber and K. Jones are all gone when you are picking at 1.10, where are you getting your "value"? My thinking is that unless you think a guy like Dillon, Tatum Bell, Julius Jones, etc. is going to have a much better year than most of the "experts" do, and that everyone but you/us/??? have them rated way too low, you're picking zero-sum value in almost every case in the first round.

Unless a "consensus" guy shockingly drops out of the top 6-8 picks for no reason, I think it's hard to say that you are drafting "good value" until you're out of the first round. I'm generally a believer in the old adage that you can rarely win your FFL leagues in the first round of a draft, but you can easily lose them. We're simply looking for the best value/player available at our slots...and the best value in many cases IS the zero-sum value play unless you've got ***** the size of coconuts and are willing to gamble your season on a Tatum Bell or Julius Jones.....

:popcorn:
In nearly every league format I can envision, my top 12 wouldn't all be RBs...and since I have Jam ranked outside the top 12 at RB (much less overall), there are players I believe should be taken over him regardless of whether those guys you listed are off the board.
But he's saying that your other choices don't have much upside, either, unless you're willing to roll some dice. Who would they be, for that matter?
Good point - but guys like Manning, Moss, etc. are not zero-sum at that point - they are projected to be WAY above the other players at their position, so they are the equivelant of taking a guy like LT or Priest. They are only zero-sum since they are the first WR/QB off the board, so you expect them to be #1.Taking JLew when you don't believe in JLew's upside is actually worse value than taking the guy you expetct to be the #1 overall WR or QB.
No way is Manning still on the board. He shouldn't be in this discussion. I'd still like to hear the players that AREN'T zero-sum, AT THAT POINT, who Jason, or yourself, would prefer.
???I will be surprised if Manning is picked in the first 10 selections in my standard performance scoring league - he probably goes 1.10. 1.11, 1.12. I will also NOT be surprised if a WR (probably Moss) is selected before him in most drafts.

Everybody is talking about zero based value and what not, but you have to draft somebody in the first few rounds and not many are gonna exceed their draft position value. I think in rounds after the 4th can you realistically get good value based on draft position.

Hey datonn,I understand what you're getting at now. Let me see if this closes the gap...1) Yes, I think Jamal will be drafted long before 3.01 in nearly every redraft this year2) No, I don't think his current ADP offers much if any upsideDoes that answer the question?
Jason, yes that answers my questions. Thanks! :thumbup:
Well, if nobody thinks he'll get 2000 yards or be a top 5 fantasy RB, then why do people think he's a good pick late in the 1st round? I would hope that the RB I take at the end of round 1 has some chance of being a top 5 RB. Otherwise, I don't get much value.
Unlucky,I disagree. There are two sides to the value coin: 1. Upside. The chance that the guy I pick is going to out-perform his draft position, and2. Downside. The chance that the guy I pick is going to bust...falling well-short of expectations.I'll agree that Jamal Lewis doesn't likely have much/any Top 5 RB upside. However, I also see him as being a MUCH safer pick at around 1.10 then many of the other RBs that FBGs has in the "basket" just above Lewis' ranking or the "basket" that Lewis resides in.Sometimes "less-downside" is as/more important as "upside" when drafting value, ESPECIALLY in the early rounds...at least in my opinion.

Wow... lots of Jamal love... This is like a fight over a few spots... not a significant movement. Yet everyone is so passionate. Jamal is fun to watch run... be's like this giant bowling ball, and he's even more fun to watch run against CIN and CLE the last few years... but... he is wearing down already... he's got to spend time in prison away from football... he's playing the halfway house flag football team... and he's not that flashy player everyone wants him to be.In a 12 team redraft league, I'd rather take him in the early 2nd round then late in the 1st. He isn't a special back... Luckily he plays some week defenses, but otherwise he's a good #1 RB on the tail end... is that 1st round? Not exactly...His downside is greater then his upside. That is the problem. The upside to a KJ, JJ, Dom, Portis, Green, Deuce, Willis are all higher then Lewis in my opinion.His lack of use in the passing game hurts... and I'm not talking in PPR leagues... even in just regular leagues... the recieving yardage and TD's still count... and he doesn't get much of that.I see Corey Dillon as more of a good comparision for Jamal Lewis... that I think Dillon is better... and on a better team... and will do better then Lewis again this year.It's not a crime to say Lewis is a good #2 back... But between his lack of receiving skills, his ? marks because of injury, jail time, practice time... and the fact he still plays for the Ravens (hehe)... he's not who I want as my #1 back unless I can grab a Moss or Culpepper first, and then take Jamal.I hope someone takes him early in my league... I know I will be pumping up that 2003 season... maybe I can get someone to take him 6th... or 7th... that would be great.

Everybody is talking about zero based value and what not, but you have to draft somebody in the first few rounds and not many are gonna exceed their draft position value. I think in rounds after the 4th can you realistically get good value based on draft position.
Exactly.Mark, I think Manning goes right in the middle of R1. I should qualify this by saying I play in 6 pt TD leagues for QB's (he's #4 on my board right now), and that might swing this topic in another direction. Either way though, I don't think he's in the same area as Lewis. I'll also say I will not be taking Moss before Lewis.

So, back to the part of zero-sum players, who are the players in Lewis' tier that you and Wood see with MORE upside? Because at that point, I'd rather have what I see as consistency -- an obvious focal point of the offense, and arguably his best situation to date.

Everybody is talking about zero based value and what not, but you have to draft somebody in the first few rounds and not many are gonna exceed their draft position value.  I think in rounds after the 4th can you realistically get good value based on draft position.
Exactly.Mark, I think Manning goes right in the middle of R1. I should qualify this by saying I play in 6 pt TD leagues for QB's (he's #4 on my board right now), and that might swing this topic in another direction. Either way though, I don't think he's in the same area as Lewis. I'll also say I will not be taking Moss before Lewis.

So, back to the part of zero-sum players, who are the players in Lewis' tier that you and Wood see with MORE upside? Because at that point, I'd rather have what I see as consistency -- an obvious focal point of the offense, and arguably his best situation to date.
Dom Davis and Rudi Johnson - that's just for the RBs.I would take Harrison or Moss above JLew from the bottom of the 1st only b/c I would be just as happy with DD, Rudi, Tiki, CuMar or Dillon as my RB1 on the comeback as JLew, but I would expect both Moss and Harrison to be gone (at least in most of my leagues) by the time I choose in the 2nd from the 1.10 spot.

Therefore, I'd take the WR - or top QB - in the first, and be happy with whatever RB fell to me in the second. If you are committed to RB-RB from a bottom of the 1st draft slot, this discussion of zero-value is absolutely meritless since you are taking your two highest rated players from the same position regardless of "value". Take JLew or any RB you prefer at the 1.10 to 1.12 spot and then whatever RB you like best still on the board in the second. ;)

Everybody is talking about zero based value and what not, but you have to draft somebody in the first few rounds and not many are gonna exceed their draft position value.  I think in rounds after the 4th can you realistically get good value based on draft position.

Dom Davis and Rudi Johnson - that's just for the RBs.I would take Harrison or Moss above JLew from the bottom of the 1st only b/c I would be just as happy with DD, Rudi, Tiki, CuMar or Dillon as my RB1 on the comeback as JLew, but I would expect both Moss and Harrison to be gone (at least in most of my leagues) by the time I choose in the 2nd from the 1.10 spot.

Therefore, I'd take the WR - or top QB - in the first, and be happy with whatever RB fell to me in the second. If you are committed to RB-RB from a bottom of the 1st draft slot, this discussion of zero-value is absolutely meritless since you are taking your two highest rated players from the same position regardless of "value". Take JLew or any RB you prefer at the 1.10 to 1.12 spot and then whatever RB you like best still on the board in the second. ;)
You don't see more risk in Johnson and Davis? I do.

That's why all projections are individual.No, I don't see more risk in either Rudi or DD - I see comparable risk.I see much more from DD in the receiving game, which, generally, gives you more consistent fantasy production over "run-dimensional" backs. With Rudi, I see comparable risk/reward - all 11 starters return on offense and he has much better passing game support to prevent 8 in the box.A better passing game should also give him more G/L opportunities. W/Rudi, his last 8 games of 2004 were against Was, Pit, Cle, Bal, NE, Buf, NYG, and Philly - all had good run Ds in 2004 (thought Philly was coasting when the Bengals played them). He averaged 4.1 YPC against those tough Ds, he averaged 96 yards per game, and had 8 of his 12 rush TDs on the year. Five of those games were solid rushing efforts - 102, 202, 89, 130, 99. Yeah - he was helped by the 3 TD game at the end of the year versus a Philly team that was coasting, but he was very consistent.I liken Rudi to JLew - comparable - and with Rudi having better offensive support, I think he'll edge JLew out in TDs and land in a comparable fantasy realm.

That's why all projections are individual.

No, I don't see more risk in either Rudi or DD - I see comparable risk.

I see much more from DD in the receiving game, which, generally, gives you more consistent fantasy production over "run-dimensional" backs. With Rudi, I see comparable risk/reward - all 11 starters return on offense and he has much better passing game support to prevent 8 in the box.

A better passing game should also give him more G/L opportunities.

W/Rudi, his last 8 games of 2004 were against Was, Pit, Cle, Bal, NE, Buf, NYG, and Philly - all had good run Ds in 2004 (thought Philly was coasting when the Bengals played them). He averaged 4.1 YPC against those tough Ds, he averaged 96 yards per game, and had 8 of his 12 rush TDs on the year. Five of those games were solid rushing efforts - 102, 202, 89, 130, 99. Yeah - he was helped by the 3 TD game at the end of the year versus a Philly team that was coasting, but he was very consistent.

I liken Rudi to JLew - comparable - and with Rudi having better offensive support, I think he'll edge JLew out in TDs and land in a comparable fantasy realm.
BOTH backs have fairly solid players breathing down their neck. I just don't like that.As for your WR/QB strategy, I disagree, and for similar reasons. I think there is less risk in the RB's available, than taking Moss or Owens, BOTH of which are not the "locks" they were going into last year. Neither is Harrison, for that matter, as Wayne is not going to go away. Even if you think they are, we know WR's are inherently less consistent.

Furthermore, you're already conceding big points to the top 3-5 drafters at RB, and by not going with 2 RB's, even moreso...as you will be getting slim pickings 24 picks later.

Plus, passing on an RB ends up giving it to one of the same 3 - 5 guys you are already trying to catch at RB. Then, they get to turn right around and grab a top 10 WR to match yours. Dangerous.

If I'm at the bottom, I'm going RB/RB...no question.

I see much more from DD in the receiving game, which, generally,  gives you more consistent fantasy production over "run-dimensional" backs.  With Rudi, I see comparable risk/reward - all 11 starters return on offense and he has much better passing game support to prevent 8 in the box.

W/Rudi, his last 8 games of 2004 were against Was, Pit, Cle, Bal, NE, Buf, NYG, and Philly - all had good run Ds in 2004 (thought Philly was coasting when the Bengals played them). He averaged 4.1 YPC against those tough Ds, he averaged 96 yards per game, and had 8 of his 12 rush TDs on the year. Five of those games were solid rushing efforts - 102, 202, 89, 130, 99. Yeah - he was helped by the 3 TD game at the end of the year versus a Philly team that was coasting, but he was very consistent.

I liken Rudi to JLew - comparable - and with Rudi having better offensive support, I think he'll edge JLew out in TDs and land in a comparable fantasy realm.
BOTH backs have fairly solid players breathing down their neck. I just don't like that.Furthermore, you're already conceding big points to the top 3-5 drafters at RB, and by not going with 2 RB's, even moreso...as you will be getting slim pickings 24 picks later.

Plus, passing on an RB ends up giving it to one of the same 3 - 5 guys you are already trying to catch at RB. Then, they get to turn right around and grab a top 10 WR to match yours. Dangerous.

Really? Because I think Chester Taylor is far more accomplished than; Chris Perry, Verrand Morency, Tony Hollings, Kenny Watson or Jonathan Wells.I agree that grabbing a RB at the end of the first is a good way to go but to lock yourself into a RB:RB strategy without even considering other options is, IMO, very narrow sighted.

I see much more from DD in the receiving game, which, generally,  gives you more consistent fantasy production over "run-dimensional" backs.  With Rudi, I see comparable risk/reward - all 11 starters return on offense and he has much better passing game support to prevent 8 in the box.

BOTH backs have fairly solid players breathing down their neck. I just don't like that.Furthermore, you're already conceding big points to the top 3-5 drafters at RB, and by not going with 2 RB's, even moreso...as you will be getting slim pickings 24 picks later.

Really? Because I think Chester Taylor is far more accomplished than; Chris Perry, Verrand Morency, Tony Hollings, Kenny Watson or Jonathan Wells.I agree that grabbing a RB at the end of the first is a good way to go but to lock yourself into a RB:RB strategy without even considering other options is, IMO, very narrow sighted.
It's not about how "accomplished" the backups are, it's (AGAIN) the situation the starters are in. Perry is a first-round pick. Like it or not, that means something, and I'm sure they want to know what he can do. Davis' situation is somewhat fragile (injuries, backups), although that has been argued at length. On the other hand, I don't see Jamal Lewis, with his rushing title, being remotely close to being unseated by Chester Taylor. Sorry.As for your "narrow sighted" comment, save it. The very reason I know what I would do, AT THIS POINT, is that the situation is SO specific. So, I have looked at all my options already. Look, we know full-well what is going to happen in R1. Unless there are big injuries in the pre-season, or major changes, not much will be different. Cpep, Moss, Owens, and Harrison don't convince me they are worth it in the first, or early second. It's that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not about how "accomplished" the backups are, it's (AGAIN) the situation the starters are in. Perry is a first-round pick. Like it or not, that means something, and I'm sure they want to know what he can do. Davis' situation is somewhat fragile (injuries, backups), although that has been argued at length. On the other hand, I don't see Jamal Lewis, with his rushing title, being remotely close to being unseated by Chester Taylor. Sorry.As for your "narrow sighted" comment, save it. The very reason I know what I would do, AT THIS POINT, is that the situation is SO specific. So, I have looked at all my options already. Look, we know full-well what is going to happen in R1. Unless there are big injuries in the pre-season, or major changes, not much will be different. Cpep, Moss, Owens, and Harrison don't convince me they are worth it in the first, or early second. It's that simple.
Hogwash! The Bengals just ponied up 5 years 25 mil to Rudi and Chris Perry is still recovering from his third (fourth?) sports hernia in the last 12 months, no threat there. DD has no threats to his PT either (Morency is too far behind the curve) and I just read (was it CBS? maybe Pastabelli) that the Texans are negotiating an extension with DD.None of these guys (Jamal included) is being threatened for PT. DD is the biggest injury risk (IMO) but if you assume perfect health for the season I take him above both those other guys because of these three he is the only one who is in on every down and every situation for his team.

If you are not convinced by Daunte or Moss that is your perogative (I agree with you re TO and Marvin at this point). I see your thought process and I do not disagree with it...right up to the point where you lock yourself into it. IMO it is not as simple as you view it.

Link to DD contract extension talk (also in CBS premium content but I can't post that)

Hogwash! The Bengals just ponied up 5 years 25 mil to Rudi and Chris Perry is still recovering from his third (fourth?) sports hernia in the last 12 months, no threat there. DD has no threats to his PT either (Morency is too far behind the curve) and I just read (was it CBS? maybe Pastabelli) that the Texans are negotiating an extension with DD.None of these guys (Jamal included) is being threatened for PT. DD is the biggest injury risk (IMO) but if you assume perfect health for the season I take him above both those other guys because of these three he is the only one who is in on every down and every situation for his team.

If you are not convinced by Daunte or Moss that is your perogative (I agree with you re TO and Marvin at this point). I see your thought process and I do not disagree with it...right up to the point where you lock yourself into it. IMO it is not as simple as you view it.

Link to DD contract extension talk (also in CBS premium content but I can't post that)
More contract extensions "proof". Meh.Look, I am not arguing against Davis or Johnson being good picks, just saying that Jamal is more firmly entrenched. In fact, I would take both of the above players before any WR or QB.

So, let's get back to the part you have so much trouble with: it's that I appear to be set in my ways. Dude, it's July, when/if something changes, trust that I will be able to adapt.

However, AT THIS POINT, I can't see myself taking a WR or QB late first/early second. There are too many good RB's there to choose from. KJones, JJones, Dillon, etc.

Now, tell me how THAT situation would change. What QB/WR is going to all of a sudden become so desireable, in the next month, that I would rush to take him ahead of a bevy of RB1's?

Not many WRs jump out but with so many good RB options (and the pool is very deep this year) I am curious as to how many top notch WRs and QBs you see out there?I see Moss, TO, Chad, Holt and Javon as being the only elite options (Marvin has to much competition IMO). Daunte, Manning and maybe Donovan are the top tier QBs.If I am in the 10-12 spot and 9-10 RBs are off the board at my pick I would give serious consideration to a QB or WR with one of my first two picks, even in July. It all depends on where you see the value, I think WRs and QBs can win championships too. A guy won our league two years ago with Will Green, Troy Hambrick, Shawn Bryson and TJ Duckett, his WRs were Holt, Chad and Ward.

Chaka, I'll have to return to this later.But, the only QB I would take in the first (middle) is Manning (6 pt TD's).And like I keep saying, there is nobody else in the first, or early second, I would take. The situations have changed this year for the top 3 WR's, in my mind, and that drops them a bit. Also, I see the emergence of others I quite like, which will be there for me later.Now, I have answered your question, please answer mine, as you were quite critical of my "narrow minded" approach.

However, AT THIS POINT, I can't see myself taking a WR or QB late first/early second. There are too many good RB's there to choose from. KJones, JJones, Dillon, etc. Now, tell me how THAT situation would change. What QB/WR is going to all of a sudden become so desireable, in the next month, that I would rush to take him ahead of a bevy of RB1's?

Chaka, I'll have to return to this later.

But, the only QB I would take in the first (middle) is Manning (6 pt TD's).

And like I keep saying, there is nobody else in the first, or early second, I would take. The situations have changed this year for the top 3 WR's, in my mind, and that drops them a bit. Also, I see the emergence of others I quite like, which will be there for me later.

Now, I have answered your question, please answer mine, as you were quite critical of my "narrow minded" approach.

However, AT THIS POINT, I can't see myself taking a WR or QB late first/early second. There are too many good RB's there to choose from. KJones, JJones, Dillon, etc.

Now, tell me how THAT situation would change. What QB/WR is going to all of a sudden become so desireable, in the next month, that I would rush to take him ahead of a bevy of RB1's?
Fair enough. Didn't I answer your question already in my last post? I think you answered your question too, but no worries. With so many good RBs to choose from it decreases RB scarcity (and value) allowing you to grab a WR (Holt, Johnson or Moss IMO) or a QB (Daunte or Manning) at the turn setting you up to grab one or two more quality RBs, at the turn of rounds 3-4 (because RBs are so deep this year), who will have more value than whichever WR or QB you would be able to grab in the same spot. However if your league is so RB dominant that 30 or so RBs are off the board by the end of round 3 then I recommend that you revamp your scoring system to change that (maybe add another starting QB).

It all depends on how it breaks down in your draft but I see more options than just a standard RB:RB move.

None of these guys (Jamal included) is being threatened for PT. DD is the biggest injury risk (IMO) but if you assume perfect health for the season I take him above both those other guys because of these three he is the only one who is in on every down and every situation for his team.

Not picking on you but I laugh when I keep seeing how some guys are marked "injury risk" while others are not. Both Lewis and DD missed time last year due to injuries and were hampered during the season by the injuries. Lewis has already had major knee surgery, had off season ankle surgery but for whatever reason is not considered by the FF community as being an injury risk while DD hasn't had any major injuries/surgeries but is widely thought of an injury risk. Instead Lewis's perceived risk is no training, spent the summer in the pokey, one step away from a year suspension due to drugs but rarely ever hear that he is an injury risk. Deuce is another example of a back not considered an injury risk but has missed playing time and been hampered by a high ankle sprain two of the past 3 seasons (if I recall correctly).

None of these guys (Jamal included) is being threatened for PT. DD is the biggest injury risk (IMO) but if you assume perfect health for the season I take him above both those other guys because of these three he is the only one who is in on every down and every situation for his team.

Not picking on you but I laugh when I keep seeing how some guys are marked "injury risk" while others are not. Both Lewis and DD missed time last year due to injuries and were hampered during the season by the injuries. Lewis has already had major knee surgery, had off season ankle surgery but for whatever reason is not considered by the FF community as being an injury risk while DD hasn't had any major injuries/surgeries but is widely thought of an injury risk. Instead Lewis's perceived risk is no training, spent the summer in the pokey, one step away from a year suspension due to drugs but rarely ever hear that he is an injury risk. Deuce is another example of a back not considered an injury risk but has missed playing time and been hampered by a high ankle sprain two of the past 3 seasons (if I recall correctly).
Good point Banger, though I think Deuce's only injury in the pros was las season (of course his nickname at Ole Miss was 'Old Miss'). And I do not think you were picking on me...and if you were you really need to work on your material ;)

Users who are viewing this thread