What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
Trying to compile a list of good/interesting cover songs. ExamplesAztec Camera - Jump (Van Halen)Footloose - Good Charlotte (Loggins?)Seasons in the Sun - Blink 182 (Terry Jacks?)Last Kiss - Pearl Jam (?)Red Red Wine - UB40 (some reggae dude)99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger (Nena)Mrs. Robinson - Lemonheads (S&G)I Will Survive - Cake (Gaynor)Mad World - Gary Jules (Tears for Fears)Others?

Last edited:
Born to be Wild: Redone by the Cult (Outstanding!): Don't know who did it originallyLove Roller Coaster: Redone by the Red Hot Chili Peppers: Don't knowSmokin in the Boys Room: Redone by Motley Crue: Don't knowTuesday's Gone: Redone by Metallica (Outstanding!!): Don't know (Almon Brothers?)Uncle Cracker has a hot one out right now...Can't remember the nameDidn't that fat, ugly Osborn chick do a crappy job of remaking an already crappy song by Madonna?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to compile a list of good/interesting cover songs. ExamplesAztec Camera - Jump (Van Halen)Footloose - Good Charlotte (Loggins?)Seasons in the Sum - Blink 182 (Terry Jacks?)Last Kiss - Pearl Jam (?)Red Red Wine - UB40 (some reggae dude)99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger (Nena)Mrs. Robinson - Lemonheads (S&G)I Will Survive - Cake (Gaynor)Mad World - Gary Jules (Tears for Fears)Others?
Baker Street--FooFighters(Gerry Rafferty)Thats When I Reach For My Revolver--Catherine Wheel(Mission of Burma)Voices Carry--Gang Green('til Tuesday-Aimee Mann)White Riot--Dropkick Murphys(The Clash)Jealous Guy--Bryan Ferry(John Lennon)

Just do a search on Kazaa(lite) for the band "me first and the gimme gimmes" for a ton of covers. Don't for get to buy if you like it or delete if you don't ;) . It is "punk" but not too punky for most ppl. They cover things that probably no one else would.

The bands website.

Born to be Wild: Redone by the Cult (Outstanding!): Don't know who did it originally (Steppenwolf)Love Roller Coaster: Redone by the Red Hot Chili Peppers: Don't knowSmokin in the Boys Room: Redone by Motley Crue: Don't know (Brownsville Station)Tuesday's Gone: Redone by Metallica (Outstanding!!): Don't know (Almon Brothers?) (No, Lynyrd Skynyrd)Uncle Cracker has a hot one out right now...Can't remember the nameDidn't that fat, ugly Osborn chick do a crappy job of remaking an already crappy song by Madonna?
Not sure on the second one.

"Cars" - Fear Factory (Gary Numan)ditto on the RHCP/Rollercoaster and Sundays/Wild Horses... great songs

Orgy - Blue Monday - Thought their version was much better than New Orders.Marilyn Manson - Sweet DreamsSugar Ray - abbra-whatever - Steve Miller originalMy friend gave me a CD of a few punk bands covering songs and Baby Got Back was awesome.Not really a remake, but you have got to find Gin And Juice (Spoken Word) version. Simply awesome.Edit - Easy - Faith No More - Yes, the old Commodores song.

Orgy - Blue Monday - Thought their version was much better than New Orders.
Couldn't agree less. It was blasphemy!Thought of a few others I like (drawing a blank right now):Night and Day - U2 (Cole Porter)Toys in the Attic - R.E.M. (Aerosmith)Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder)

Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" is my all-time favorite cover song. He took a classic song from a legendary band and made it his own.The Uncle Kracker song is a duet with the original artist...song's name is Drift Away, and singer's name is Dobie somethingedit to add: WOW! Is the language filter asleep?

Lots of my favorites have been mentioned, but here are some others: "Just Like Heaven" - Dinosaur Jr. (The Cure)"That's Entertainment" - Morrissey (The Jam)"Wall of Death" - REM (Richard and Linda Thompson)"Ziggy Stardust" - Bauhaus (David Bowie)"Dancing With Myself" - Blink 182 (Billy Idol)"Let My Love Open The Door" - Pearl Jam (Pete Townshend)"Take A Chance On Me" - Erasure (Abba)"Baby One More Time" - Fountains of Wayne (Britney Spears) - this sounds like a totally different song!"Daydream Believer" - U2 (The Monkees)

Red Red Wine - UB40 (some reggae dude)
Red Red Wine was by Neil Diamond, not "some reggae dude".Some of my favorites:Nut Bush City Limits - Bob Seger (Tina Turner)California Sun - **** Dale (The Rivieras)I'm Ready - George Thorogood (Fats Domino)Mexico - Jimmy Buffett (James Taylor)Southern Cross - Jimmy Buffett (Crosby, Stills, & Nash)Make You Feel My Love - Joan Osborne (Bob Dylan)Microphone Fiend - Rage Against the Machine (Eric B & Rakim)Have A Cigar - Primus (Pink Floyd)Boys of Summer - The Ataris (Don Henley)Come On Eileen - Save Ferris (Dexy;s Midnight Runners)Dancing Days - Stone Temple Pilots (Led Zeppelin)

Heroes - Wallflowers (Bowie0

I want you to want me/Dangerous Type/Cruel to be Kind - Letters to Cleo (Cheap Trick/The Cars/Nick Lowe)

Baby, Now that I've found you - Allison Krause 9The Foundations)

Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies (Velvet Underground)

Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles 9Simon and Garfunkle)

Sympathy for the Devil - Jane's Addiction (Stones)

With a Little Help from my Friends - Joe Cocker (Beatles)

Mrs. Robinson - The Lemonheads (Simon and Garfunkle)

Fairly definitive link

Worst cover song goes to G+R - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Edited to format like everybody else :follower:

Manic Depression-CarnivoreSymptom of the Universe-SepulturaLow Rider-Exodus, KornAstronomy Domine(sp?-Floyd)- Voivod

Breeders- Happiness is a Warm Gun (beatles)Pennywise - Stand By Me (i forget bah)Ulu- Super Mario BrothersPrimus- Have a Cigar (pink floyd)Megadeth- No More Mr Nice Guy (alice cooper)Replicants- Just What I Needed (the cars)Relient K- Charles In ChargeThrottlerod- Black Betty (forget)Freedom Bleeder- Ghouls Night Out (misfits)so many more.. :shock:

How 'bout Mone Mone by Bill Idol (Tommy James and the Shondells)I second Tuesday's Gone by MetallicaFaith by Limp Bizkit

"Ring of Fire"- Social Distortion (Johnny Cash)"Tangerine"- Big Head Todd and the Monsters (Led Zeppelin)"Sympathy for the Devil"- Opie Gone Bad (Rolling Stones)

TNT - Hayseed Dixies (AC/DC)Where The Streets Have No Name - Pet Shop Boys (U2)Go West - Pet Shop Boys (Village People)Take On Me - Reel Big Fish (A-Ha)Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos (Nirvana)When Doves Cry - Quinton Tarver (Prince)Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor (Prince)Mustang Sally - The Committments (Wilson Pickett?)Eleanor Rigby - Zoot (Beatles)

There are some great suggestions here. I thought of several more...First We Take Manhattan - R.E.M. (Leonard Cohen)Battle of Evermore - Heart (Led Zeppelin)Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - Dream Academy (The Smiths)Gloomy Sunday - Sarah McLachlan (old tune.. not sure who did it first)From the Beginning - Tesla (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)

The Afghan Whigs' cover of TLC's "Creep"Shai Hulud's cover of Bad Religion's "Anethesia"Christopher John's cover of Weezer's "The World Has Turned"

Boys of summer - Ataris
Ironically, this is the song that prompted my post."I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac

A little voice inside my head said don't look back you can never look back"

Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming (he said, surprised at the weekend volume for this post - must be the rain)

Ironically, this is the song that prompted my post.

"I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac

Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming (he said, surprised at the weekend volume for this post - must be the rain)
When you're done making this cover song boxed set, let me know. I'll buy a copy. ;)

Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm (Michael Jackson)My Way - Sex Pistols (Frank Sinatra)Satisfaction - Devo (Rolling Stones)Crimson and Clover - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (Tommy James and the Shondelles)Cum on Feel the Noise - Quiet Riot (Slade)Blinded By the Light - Manfredd Mann and the Earth Band (Bruce Springsteen)One - Korn (Metallica) - this was performed at the MTV ICON event so am not sure where you'd find it, but it rockedFaith - Limp Bizkit (George Michael)and...Red, Red Wine was by Neil Diamond...and... Tuesday's Gone was by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Across the Universe- Rufus Wainwright (Beatles)
I love the original, but this version is excellent. Way better than Fiona Apple's half-### attempt.I love that line in the Ataris version of Boys of Summer too. Black Flag.. priceless!How about..Michelle - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (Beatles)There are a number of songs that borrow heavily from others:Hippychick - Soho (The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?)My Sweet Lord - George Harrison (The Chiffons - He's So Fine)

I love the original, but this version is excellent. Way better than Fiona Apple's half-### attempt.
Right, the Fiona Apple version blows. I've actually heard people say that Rufus' version is even better than the original... not getting into that though. His album 'Poses' is one of my favorites though.

Jane's Addiction -- Ripple. Good stuff.
That's the one I was going to post. Great cover.Avoid the newer Johnny Cash covers where possible. I heard him covering "Personal Jesus" (Depeche Mode), and it was about as bad as anything I've ever heard.

That's the one I was going to post. Great cover.Avoid the newer Johnny Cash covers where possible. I heard him covering "Personal Jesus" (Depeche Mode), and it was about as bad as anything I've ever heard.
Cash's covers rule!!Desperado will get you where it hurts!The guy is a legend, gonna be sad when he goes.

"I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac

Sorry- not huge into music like many on this board- what's the Black Flag reference about? I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread