What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE Onterrio Smith Saturday night thread (1 Viewer)

The Boss

Footballguy
Alright, if you're getting to watch this game, please post anything relevant about Onterrio Smith. How does he look when in the game, what are broadcasters saying about him, etc. Thank you. :thumbup:

I'm watching the game. Vikings first possession was 2 50 yds pass attempts, and then one short pass to Moss. 3 and out. I'll let you know how the RB's look.

I'm watching the game. Vikings first possession was 2 50 yds pass attempts, and then one short pass to Moss. 3 and out. I'll let you know how the RB's look.
Thanks Jaxjokers! Well, it's nice to see the Vikings offense being aggressive right out of the gate, hope we get a good look at the running game too.

Next Vikings series was nothing special for the RB's. The best run was a nice 9 yard run by M. Williams. The main guy that drive was Chapman who had about 3 carries. Twice for about 3-4 yards, and once stuffed at the line. Not much to say there. Culpepper to Bates for a 15 yd TD looked nice though. P.S. Avery was in the backfield once, and took a dumpoff by Culpepper for about 7 yards.

Only time O. Smith was on the field, he gave a pitiful block attempt against a DL, leading to a sack. Ned had 2 or 3 carries that series. Didn't look special.

Yeah, so far Chapman has been the man for the Vikes. O. Smith is mostly MIA.The Vikes' OL has looked pretty solid so far opening some holes.

Nothing special the next drive either. Ned had an 8 yd. carry, but it was 3rd and 15 at the time. It was a draw play.Frerotte has been in there the last 2 drives. It's been the 1st string O-Line though. The running game doesn't look too impressive at this point.

Chapman had one nice screen pass out of the backfield. They've been running him between the tackles. He's looked good (not great). More importantly, he hasn't been getting his QB killed.

The big story to me tonight was that Jimmy Smith looked pretty good.He came up with a nice grab against Denard Walker.J.J. Stokes has just about cemented the WR2 job.

I agree with JaxBill, with the exception of Chapman. Don't think he showed anything special.Stokes is going to be the #2 WR, and if you take Taylor, you better take Toefield. He looks like he is going to be a pretty good RB.

I guess I just had lower expectations of Chapman. It looked like they kept running him up the middle. He got stuffed once just past the line and his long was 6 yards. Since he was 4 for 16 rushing, that would make his other two around 4 yards each.To me, the important thing is that I don't remember seeing/hearing about O. Smth until after C-Pep was out of the game. Think Tice would live with a so-so back who can catch for a healthy C-Pep?

How does Ned look now? It seems he's had a couple of good carries. (Watching Box scores)
the best so far IMOEdit: sure wish I could delete :wall: this

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, poor Ned. I remember watching him with the Raiders last year in the preseason. He was returning punts and he fumbled the first one he got his hands on. My dad (SDSU alum) and I thought he was probably toast and sure enough they cut him. He'll get a longer look by the Vikings, but hopefully we'll see more Smith soon.

Onterrio Smith...SOD; SCHMUCK of the DRAFT! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: 1 attempt for 0 yds.
I know your comment is in jest, but come on, every RB gets stuffed every now and then, just ask Barry Sanders. :D

he is looking decent.. couple dud runs couple above average runs.. the td is good news for him too.. and ned fumbled.. now if champman would just put the ball on the ground.. lol

That drive was so unbelievably long, I think the Jags' Front 7 just wore down. Smith was getting nowhere to run for the first half of it, then suddenly they were giving him a hole and he was hitting it.Jags' D keeps jumping offside.

He's running the ball fine but his blocking is pitiful.
you guys are asking the wrong question: who cares how onterrio "runs"? if he can't block he will NOT be on the field. the vikes aren't going to risk culpepper getting injured so onterrio can shake his #### on the field.here's the million dollar question: how does onterrio look as a blocker? judging from the posts here, i'd say awful. not a good sign for someone wanting to be the #1 rb.

Man, Onterrio Smith is one guy I hope people reach for in ALL of my drafts, he'll amout to nothing more than a RBBC contributor, that stands on the sidelines to watch Moe Williams punch it in.And then when Bennett returns, he's basically a backup player.Chapman is going to be the starting RB for the first 6 to 8 games this season anyways...

you guys are asking the wrong question: who cares how onterrio "runs"? if he can't block he will NOT be on the field. the vikes aren't going to risk culpepper getting injured so onterrio can shake his #### on the field.here's the million dollar question: how does onterrio look as a blocker? judging from the posts here, i'd say awful. not a good sign for someone wanting to be the #1 rb.
Granted, blocking skills are important for a RB to master, BUT a lack of blocking skills never seemed to keep Michael Bennett off the field despite him being a pitiful blocking back himself. Blocking is overrated for a RB in my book. If you believe blocking is more important than running, maybe we should start calling them blocking backs.Anyone wonder how good Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Franco Harris, Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, etc. could block? Didn't think so.

Man, Onterrio Smith is one guy I hope people reach for in ALL of my drafts, he'll amout to nothing more than a RBBC contributor, that stands on the sidelines to watch Moe Williams punch it in.And then when Bennett returns, he's basically a backup player.Chapman is going to be the starting RB for the first 6 to 8 games this season anyways...
Can't agree with you more.All excited over a 3rd quarter 1 yard TD in a pre-season game with the second string offense? And he can't block?He's got a lot to learn and the Vikings won't do it at Culpepper's expense.

Anyone wonder how good Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Franco Harris, Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, etc. could block? Didn't think so.
No one wonders how good of a blocker Walter Payton was.For the others I am not sure of how good they were but Smith will not see the field on a full time basis unless he can block with some consistency. Bennett's value as a fantasy player and chances as a full time back last year were damaged by the fact that he was often replaced by Moe on 3rd down passing situations. At best, Smith is Bennett last year. Much more likely, he sees a fraction of what Bennett's opportunities would have been if healthy as Onterrio learns how to be a functional passing down back. Maybe later in the season (like Portis but probably much later) he emerges as more of a full time back but then Bennett's possible return might prevent such progression in touches.

i heard that same thing about portis last year...

Here's my thoughts on the RBs so far for the purple...Chapman looked OK, his 4 for 16 looked decent and he ran a nice screen play, but if he had made the right cut, he could have taken it longer, and maybe to the house... His blocking was OK, but you didn't see him much since he wasn't on the field long and he and Moe Williams split time on 3rd downs. He was on the sidelines in the second quarter with a bag of ice taped to his thigh... The announcers said it was 'probably precautionary' due to his hamstring injury. Over all he looked Ok, but didn't wow us...Larry Ned played most of the second quarter and he plodded along well, his YPC was not great, but he did have a few nice receptions. He really hurt himself at the end of the half. We were 1st and goal on the 1 after a pass interference call in the endzone...he was stuffed for a loss due to bad blocking. On the next play 1st and GL from the 4, he made contact with the pile, and then had the ball stripped and JAX Def ran it back to the house for a 97 Yd TD. He was the 'dark horse' entering the game, and didn't do much to improve that position. I don't remember anything remarkable about his pass blocking, so I'd call that a positive in his case...Onterrio Smith: He played the second half, and the thing that has not been mentioned yet in this post is that Onterrio ran behind our second string line the entire time. So his stats are even a little bit more impressive when you take that into account. He looked very good at making the first guy miss on 3 or 4 plays. There were a number of times where a Jax player was in the backfield when he got the ball. For example, on a 3rd a 2 he was hit in the backfield, sidestep the blitzing LB and turned it into a 2 yard gain that was good for a 1st down. He didn't break any long runs, but he made decent reads and showed quickness when he hit the hole. With regards to his pass blocking, he, and our entire line did make mistakes. Our entire second/third strings pass blocking was sub-par and Sean Hill was sacked several times. I didn't see anyone come free that Onterrio should have picked up, but there was twice where guys got around him. (Not a HUGE deal, it's not like Bennett was a world class pass blocker either)The surprise for me was John Avery. Hi snumber was called for a number of plays and he made some great moves. Two specific plays come to mind where he made nifty plays to turn short gains into first downs. He made up for his fumbled kickoff return, but still is not likely to be a big factor in the RB matchup...The bottom line: It's still as clear as mud, and a lot more is yet to be decided in the next few games...Hope this helps~S.I.M.

No one wonders how good of a blocker Walter Payton was.For the others I am not sure of how good they were but Smith will not see the field on a full time basis unless he can block with some consistency. Bennett's value as a fantasy player and chances as a full time back last year were damaged by the fact that he was often replaced by Moe on 3rd down passing situations. At best, Smith is Bennett last year. Much more likely, he sees a fraction of what Bennett's opportunities would have been if healthy as Onterrio learns how to be a functional passing down back. Maybe later in the season (like Portis but probably much later) he emerges as more of a full time back but then Bennett's possible return might prevent such progression in touches.
More like Bennett 2 years ago... Bennett wasn't bad last year.AFTER HE HAD A YEAR UNDER HIS BELT. But go ahead draft Smith in the early rounds - earlier the better! :thumbup:

Here are some quotes from Vikings fans who watched the game:bitterbruceRegistered UserPosts: 2112(8/9/03 8:26:44 pm)Reply Smith has earned his way into a chance-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- behind the starting line. He has looked very good in the second half. He is consistently making the first guy miss. Unfortunately there is very little chance for him to break anything as the offensive line...especially Haayer is horrible. Our you QB from Europe is looking effective also considering the poor protection. hovan99chavous21Registered UserPosts: 104(8/9/03 8:28:21 pm)Reply Re: Smith has earned his way into a chance-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- yea dude, onterrio deserves gametime next game ,and he better start. Also haayer is looking horrible, im a varsity player in high school, and im better than him(and im not even seeing the game, just reading the stats)!! lol It sounds like he had a decent game, despite mediocre numbers. There's definitely no clear favorite in this situation yet though.

sounds like a chapman owner if i ever ........... :lol:

Onterrio Smith: He played the second half, and the thing that has not been mentioned yet in this post is that Onterrio ran behind our second string line the entire time. So his stats are even a little bit more impressive when you take that into account.
Wasn't the D second string also here??Edited to add: Looks like I'm third in line on this one. Oh well.

Keywords here:second string.
Your dislike of Onterrio Smith is apparent, but really what are you trying to prove by emphasizing that Onterrio Smith ran with the second team tonight? If I recall, Clinton Portis didn't run with the 1st team offense week 1 of last preseason. Matter of fact, I don't recall many rookie RB's who run with the first team offense in week 1 of preseason. Bottom line: Onterrio Smith strengthened his position in the RB race tonight, while the other guys did nothing to help themselves.

Yea, I really wouldn't look too much into the fact that Onterrio was running with second stringers. This game doesn't seem to have changed much in the race for the starting job. I still think that the Vikes RB situation will mirror the Broncos from last year where Gary was the starter at first as the team gradually shifted to the more talented Portis. Smith is no Portis, but I still think he'll end up on top here. There's a long way to go though.

sounds like a chapman owner if i ever ........... :lol:
100% incorrect - don't have Chapman in any leagues and don't plan on it. But given the choice (in a redraft league), I'd take Chapman or Moe Williams over Onterrio Smith in a heartbeat. There's something to be said about veteran RBs that can get the job done vs. an unproven mid-round rookie.

Bottom line: Onterrio Smith strengthened his position in the RB race tonight, while the other guys did nothing to help themselves.
Huh?Smith was 12/33 with no receiving yards and 1 TD and a really bad blitz pickup. Chapman was 4/16 with 10 yards receiving. Does OSmith deserve a look with the first-team offense? Probably. Does Tice feel comfortable with him in there as the same time as CPep? I don't know.Hey. Smith had a couple of nice runs. He's definitely more of a big-play guy than Chapman or Williams. I don't think Tice will put up with his inconsistencies/weaknesses on a regular basis though. You're deluding yourself if you think that Tice isn't going to call out Smith on that "block".Personally, I think the Vikes open up the season with Chapman/M. Williams. If the team struggles, they'll work in Smith more.

Users who are viewing this thread