What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning in round 1? (1 Viewer)

You can lock down safe QBs in round 4 or 5 in most drafts.
You can? Here is the list of 4-5 round QBs based on current ADPs:Bulger

Green

Collins

Bulger is nowhere near as safe as Manning, look at the injury history. Green I would say is, but with much lower upside and performance. Collins, Please tell me we are not serious that this guy is in the same classs as Manning.
You are being obstinant.If they were "as safe as" or "as good as" or "in the same class as" THEY'D be first round selections.

Look at the words he used - a "safe QB" in rounds 4-5. And, Yes Bulger and Green are very SAFE QBs.

The Manning proponents are staring at his VBD value and not looking at the overall effect that taking a QB in round 1 can have. 

In competitive leagues if you take Manning in the first round you're going to have fairly risky Runningbacks and you'll probably be fairly shallow at the position as well.  You're better off targeting value at QB in the fourth round then targeting value at RB in the fourth IMHO.

This applies to FBG standard scoring and format.

Last year I took Culpepper in a semi-competitive league in the second round and won the league because of it...but there is a huge difference between waiting until the second and waiting until the first.

An interesting upside strategy I've seen is to take Manning in the first and then take Bell in the second...a sort of all or nothing approach.  I think I can win without taking on that much risk, but if you want to roll the dice I can see why people may take this avenue.

I guess for me it comes down to that I do very well in all of my leagues without taking on the risk that comes with a QB in the first...Manning isn't the risk, the RBs and WRs you end up with are the risk.
BUTIf your round 1 runningback pulls an A.Green or a D. Mcallister from last year, then suddenly you are even more shallow at RB then you would have been with manning, AND you have questions at QB.

I am not saying taking him is a great idea, or even the right thing to do. But, it helps you manage risk by locking in one position with the safest player there is.

Green

Collins

Bulger is nowhere near as safe as Manning, look at the injury history. Green I would say is, but with much lower upside and performance. Collins, Please tell me we are not serious that this guy is in the same classs as Manning. I have been backing Collins all offseason and hardly anyone has been agreeing with me, but even I know darn well he does not match up with Manning in a FF sense.

To extend it out past round 5, 6-7:

Vick, Please....

Hassy, ummm

Favre, don't think so

Brady, great for real NFL

Plummer, egh maybe

Palmer, come on now
I count six safe QBs in that list. Don't forget that QBBC is an option as well.

When I see Manning go #2 overall in a Shark infested dynasty league, standard scoring, I get the same feeling when someone takes Vinateri in the top of the 7th round and comments "Best player available". In the next few rounds I take Mason, Shelton, Brooks, Rogers and A. Smith.

Manning in the top 3 overall is a bad, bad move.
unless you are in a start-2 QB league.
Which, maybe, would reflect reality a little more accurately than leagues where Dom Davis and Rudi Johnson are selected above a guy who's among the top 2 or 3 prolific passers of all-time.But, I understand how dead-set you guys are to have 2 RBs in the lineup and only 1 QB...hey all NFL teams do this, so why shouldn't we?
Well, cobalt, aren't we dealing with "fantasy" anyway?In a fantasy world, you might want to start your team with DD or Rudi over Manning - if this were a new NFL League, I'd hazard to guess (of offensive players) Manning would be the #1 overall selection.

Green

Collins

Bulger is nowhere near as safe as Manning, look at the injury history. Green I would say is, but with much lower upside and performance. Collins, Please tell me we are not serious that this guy is in the same classs as Manning.
You are being obstinant.If they were "as safe as" or "as good as" or "in the same class as" THEY'D be first round selections.

Look at the words he used - a "safe QB" in rounds 4-5. And, Yes Bulger and Green are very SAFE QBs.
After reading both your and lhucks posts, it's obvious that you must have missed this post I made earlier:
A guy like Manning does not HAVE to finish in the top 12 players overall for all drafters to VALUE him there. What Manning offers is unique in that he offers BOTH the highest degree of performance (at his position) and the LOWEST level of risk of any position or player on the board. He is a Cornerstone and rock to which some drafters love to build a team around. How many times do we hear the phrase "you don't win the league with yoru #1 pick, but you can loose it."? Manning should be one of the most appealing options for people like this. He never misses games and always performs at a high level. Your risk of a wasted pick with Manning is as low as it can possible get in FF. In a year such as this, where there seems to be an abundance of RB value in the 2nd and 3rd tier I don't know how anyone can scold those you would take Manning in the 1st. I wouldn't, but still I think the value he presents is obvious. While owners like you and I are gobbling up QBs in the 7-10 rounds, he has the liberty to take flyers on WRs/RBs with big risk/upside (the whole while knowing that QB is 99% locked down by a stud). It's simply a diferent phylosophy to drafting and what works for them and us is just that, different.
There is only one other player that offers the same kind of value as Manning and his name is Gonzo. It's a shame that some people can only see things "their" way though. For the 3rd time now in this thread, I do not agree with the idea of drafting Manning in the 1st, but I can certainly see the value in it to others. I just happen to choose and perform other stratagies better, but not everyone is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I see Manning go #2 overall in a Shark infested dynasty league, standard scoring, I get the same feeling when someone takes Vinateri in the top of the 7th round and comments "Best player available". In the next few rounds I take Mason, Shelton, Brooks, Rogers and A. Smith.

Which, maybe, would reflect reality a little more accurately than leagues where Dom Davis and Rudi Johnson are selected above a guy who's among the top 2 or 3 prolific passers of all-time.But, I understand how dead-set you guys are to have 2 RBs in the lineup and only 1 QB...hey all NFL teams do this, so why shouldn't we?
Well, cobalt, aren't we dealing with "fantasy" anyway?In a fantasy world, you might want to start your team with DD or Rudi over Manning - if this were a new NFL League, I'd hazard to guess (of offensive players) Manning would be the #1 overall selection.
I'd hazard to guess that Brady would be #1 overall. But that's another topic. :hey:

I also am inclined to wonder about taking Moss in the first. His OVERALL ranking has been 8, 10, 16, 19, 19, 5, 49.
Wow. But FOR SURE it will improve now that he's with a new team, in a new scheme, with a QB who completes 55% of his passes, right? Right?OVERRATED.

In the past 4 seasons, Manning has had 49, 29, 27 and 24 TD passes. One of these numbers is not like the others.Players do improve, but when do they ever sustain this type of dramatic increase? And what exactly did improve with Manning? His completion percentage hovered between 63% and 67% the last 4 years and we all know his attempts were down in 2004. INT's were the same as 2003. The big difference was in yards per attempt, with Wayne, Harrison, Stokley and Clark busting several long ones.It was a season for the ages where everything fell into place, not likely to be duplicated. I think the margin of return between Manning and Plummer or some other QB that can be had later isn't enough to warrant bypassing on an RB in round 1.

Green

Collins

After reading both your and lhucks posts, it's obvious that you must have missed this post I made earlier:
A guy like Manning does not HAVE to finish in the top 12 players overall for all drafters to VALUE him there. What Manning offers is unique in that he offers BOTH the highest degree of performance (at his position) and the LOWEST level of risk of any position or player on the board. He is a Cornerstone and rock to which some drafters love to build a team around. How many times do we hear the phrase "you don't win the league with yoru #1 pick, but you can loose it."? Manning should be one of the most appealing options for people like this. He never misses games and always performs at a high level. Your risk of a wasted pick with Manning is as low as it can possible get in FF. In a year such as this, where there seems to be an abundance of RB value in the 2nd and 3rd tier I don't know how anyone can scold those you would take Manning in the 1st. I wouldn't, but still I think the value he presents is obvious. While owners like you and I are gobbling up QBs in the 7-10 rounds, he has the liberty to take flyers on WRs/RBs with big risk/upside (the whole while knowing that QB is 99% locked down by a stud). It's simply a diferent phylosophy to drafting and what works for them and us is just that, different.
There is only one other player that offers the same kind of value as Manning and his name is Gonzo. It's a shame that some people can only see things "their" way though. For the 3rd time now in this thread, I do not agree with the idea of drafting Manning in the 1st, but I can certainly see the value in it to others. I just happen to choose and perform other stratagies better, but not everyone is the same.
Now you are REALLY being obstinant - you replied (harshly I might add) to LHUCKS comment that you can get a safe QB in the fourth or fifth when he was NOT responding to YOUR comment above, jurb.He was responding to this post:

BUT

If your round 1 runningback pulls an A.Green or a D. Mcallister from last year, then suddenly you are even more shallow at RB then you would have been with manning, AND you have questions at QB.

I am not saying taking him is a great idea, or even the right thing to do. But, it helps you manage risk by locking in one position with the safest player there is.
Neither LHUCKS nor I missed your earlier post - we weren't reponding to it. Neither of us were debating that Manning is the safest QB out there - or that he is one of the safest fantasy picks period. But, if all you care about is managing risk, you can STILL manage risk at QB by taking BUlger and/or Green in the 4th or 5th.

This thinking on Manning and CPep is especially difficult for me when the guppy in our 2QB league draft at the end of the first took BOTH Manning and CPep last year and rode them to the Championship while all the Sharks swam in circles. We all chalked this up to luck and it never will happen again as Manning and CPep will both go higher this year and not wind up on the same team.
:lmao: at "sharks". C'mon, if you can't see the supply/demand problem in 2 QB leagues and let Manning and Culpepper slip that far, you aren't a shark.

I think guys are talking around each other here.What I have a problem with is Collin making a pretty unambiguous/no exceptions statement about QBs in the first round and using what sounded a LOT like VBD ("relative values of different positions") as a justification for it when Manning's VBD using non-controversial projections puts him in the first round.If you have a problem with a QB in the first round, don't use VBD as your reasoning because it doesn't work. If your PROJECTIONS for Manning are a lot lower than some others, I can buy that but VBD in itself doesn't explain why you couldn't do Manning in the first. In fact, NOT having Manning in the first is COUNTER to VBD.As for "well, then you are weaker at RB" all I can really say is "DUH". That's what VBD is supposed to account for. The point is that you gain more at QB than you lose at RB. IF you went Manning late in the 1st and then went RB for the next 3 rounds you can't tell me those RBs couldn't compete with a team that selected a RB right in front of you. Especially this year, I'm not sure the RB you get in the middle of the first are all that much better than the guys you could get early in the 2nd anyway. There are a LOT of good prospects but very few "guaranteed" top 5ers out there this year. It's funny I'm taking this position, because I have always been a heavy RB guy, but these arguments just sound hollow to me and I think people are clinging to the past a little bit when "the sharks" went super-heavy RB and dominated.

I think guys are talking around each other here.

What I have a problem with is Collin making a pretty unambiguous/no exceptions statement about QBs in the first round and using what sounded a LOT like VBD ("relative values of different positions") as a justification for it when Manning's VBD using non-controversial projections puts him in the first round.

If you have a problem with a QB in the first round, don't use VBD as your reasoning because it doesn't work. If your PROJECTIONS for Manning are a lot lower than some others, I can buy that but VBD in itself doesn't explain why you couldn't do Manning in the first. In fact, NOT having Manning in the first is COUNTER to VBD.

As for "well, then you are weaker at RB" all I can really say is "DUH". That's what VBD is supposed to account for. The point is that you gain more at QB than you lose at RB. IF you went Manning late in the 1st and then went RB for the next 3 rounds you can't tell me those RBs couldn't compete with a team that selected a RB right in front of you. Especially this year, I'm not sure the RB you get in the middle of the first are all that much better than the guys you could get early in the 2nd anyway. There are a LOT of good prospects but very few "guaranteed" top 5ers out there this year.

It's funny I'm taking this position, because I have always been a heavy RB guy, but these arguments just sound hollow to me and I think people are clinging to the past a little bit when "the sharks" went super-heavy RB and dominated.
:goodposting: you can still get a quality #1 RB like cumar, rudi, or tiki in the early-mid 2nd and an good gamble like jordan, bell, arrington or caddy in the early 3rd. more interesting gambles like foster , bennett, barlow, and suggs are also there for the taking the 3rd/4th.

i think you can put together a decent RB corps with your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this year.

I stand by what I said. All the exceptions that have been pointed out are not contrary to my point.- Some people like that Manning is low-risk and can be counted on week in and week out. Agreed. That doesn't mean he'll be a top-12 overall player nor does it mean that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.- Some people think that Manning will produce at an amazingly high level and will finish in the top-12 overall in scoring. Fair enough. In such a case he might be worth a round 1 selection except for the fact that even a top-12 finish doesn't ensure that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.(Yes, I can have it both ways. ;) )The point of all of this is that only in the rarest circumstances can I envision a "first round pick Peyton Manning" offering enough value RELATIVE TO HIS ON-FIELD POSITION to be worth more then a RB. As I said, you may find that you like the safety of Manning just as someone might like the safety of Curtis Martin over the upside/risk of Tatum Bell in round 2. But "safety" is its own characteristic.For every scenario I can think of, when I look at ADP compared to expectations/projections, nowhere does drafting Peyton Manning in Round 1 pan out to get me more VBD points.Colin

I stand by what I said. All the exceptions that have been pointed out are not contrary to my point.

- Some people like that Manning is low-risk and can be counted on week in and week out. Agreed. That doesn't mean he'll be a top-12 overall player nor does it mean that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

- Some people think that Manning will produce at an amazingly high level and will finish in the top-12 overall in scoring. Fair enough. In such a case he might be worth a round 1 selection except for the fact that even a top-12 finish doesn't ensure that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

(Yes, I can have it both ways. ;) )

The point of all of this is that only in the rarest circumstances can I envision a "first round pick Peyton Manning" offering enough value RELATIVE TO HIS ON-FIELD POSITION to be worth more then a RB. As I said, you may find that you like the safety of Manning just as someone might like the safety of Curtis Martin over the upside/risk of Tatum Bell in round 2. But "safety" is its own characteristic.

For every scenario I can think of, when I look at ADP compared to expectations/projections, nowhere does drafting Peyton Manning in Round 1 pan out to get me more VBD points.

Colin
:goodposting:

As for "well, then you are weaker at RB" all I can really say is "DUH".  That's what VBD is supposed to account for. 
This is an inaccurate statement...and is an example of how many ffers apply flawed reasoning or just don't understand VBD altogether.

Green

Collins

Now you are REALLY being obstinant - you replied (harshly I might add) to LHUCKS comment that you can get a safe QB in the fourth or fifth when he was NOT responding to YOUR comment above, jurb.He was responding to this post:

BUT

If your round 1 runningback pulls an A.Green or a D. Mcallister from last year, then suddenly you are even more shallow at RB then you would have been with manning, AND you have questions at QB.

Neither LHUCKS nor I missed your earlier post - we weren't reponding to it. Neither of us were debating that Manning is the safest QB out there - or that he is one of the safest fantasy picks period. But, if all you care about is managing risk, you can STILL manage risk at QB by taking BUlger and/or Green in the 4th or 5th.
I don't really know why you are not seeing this, but it does not just come down to security. It's the fact that Manning is not only one of the safest if not THE safest player(s) in FF, but that he combines that with top tier performance. You and lhucks are only taking half the equation (if that)... which is why I directed you again to that previous post. I know what you and him were responding to. It just doesn't cover the complete picture in regards to why Manning is valued in the 1st to some. His performace is better than any other QB on a consistent basis (Cpep being the exception but he has no Moss) and there is an abundance of quality RBs it would seem this year. You can very easily follow up a 1st round pick of Manning with RBs such as: K.Jones, Barber, J.Jones, Dillon, Green, Rudi, Jackson, Westy, Jordan, Martin, Bell. Any combo of these 2.You said it yourself earlier in this very thread:

If they were "as safe as" or "as good as" or "in the same class as" THEY'D be first round selections.

Is this right here not justifying Manning in the 1st? :shrug:

I stand by what I said. All the exceptions that have been pointed out are not contrary to my point.

- Some people like that Manning is low-risk and can be counted on week in and week out. Agreed. That doesn't mean he'll be a top-12 overall player nor does it mean that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

- Some people think that Manning will produce at an amazingly high level and will finish in the top-12 overall in scoring. Fair enough. In such a case he might be worth a round 1 selection except for the fact that even a top-12 finish doesn't ensure that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

The point of all of this is that only in the rarest circumstances can I envision a "first round pick Peyton Manning" offering enough value RELATIVE TO HIS ON-FIELD POSITION to be worth more then a RB. As I said, you may find that you like the safety of Manning just as someone might like the safety of Curtis Martin over the upside/risk of Tatum Bell in round 2. But "safety" is its own characteristic.

For every scenario I can think of, when I look at ADP compared to expectations/projections, nowhere does drafting Peyton Manning in Round 1 pan out to get me more VBD points.

Colin
With all due respect, what the heck are you talking about?"Safety" aside, Manning's current projections (not previous performance, PROJECTIONS) put him in the 1st for VBD purposes.

You really CAN'T have it both ways. You talk about "VBD" points but igonore the fact that Manning has a 1st round VBD ranking. How do you explain this? Is the VBD model flawed in some way that you'd care to share? Are his projections too high? Where's the discrepancy?

You can stand by your statements if you want to, but as they stand right now, they just don't make sense. You are double-talking.

You can very easily follow up a 1st round pick of Manning with RBs such as:  K.Jones, Barber, J.Jones, Dillon, Green, Rudi, Jackson, Westy, Jordan, Martin, Bell.  Any combo of these 2.
First, in most 12 team shark leagues you're not going to find K. Jones and Barber in the 2nd round. Now let's look at the other Runningbacks you've mentioned:

Steven Jackson = never played a full season and has Faulk around

Julius Jones = reeks of risk

Dillon = solid, but lacks upside, up there in age

CuMar = see Dillon

Bell = as mentioned earlier I can actually see this argument although I don't agree with it.

Westy = Never been a fan

Jordan = never played an NFL season

So IF, and only if, Dillon and Martin are there for you in the second I'd say you may pull it off if you land a solid RB in the third. A lot of ifs though.

And we haven't even looked at what you'll be facing at WR and TE.

In Guppy leagues you may land a solid set of backs, in shark leagues you'll get burned with limited upside and risk at both RB and WR in most cases.

You can very easily follow up a 1st round pick of Manning with RBs such as: K.Jones, Barber, J.Jones, Dillon, Green, Rudi, Jackson, Westy, Jordan, Martin, Bell. Any combo of these 2.
In most 12 team shark leagues you're not going to find K. Jones and Barber in the 2nd round. Now let's look at the other Runningbacks you've mentioned:

Dillon = solid, but lacks upside, upthere in age

CuMar = see Dillon

Bell = as mentioned earlier I can actually see this argument although I don't agree with it.

Westy = Never been a fan

So IF, and only if, Dillon and Martin are there for you in the second I'd say you may pull it off if you land a solid RB in the third. A lot of If's though.

In Guppy leagues you can land a solid set of backs, in shark leagues you'll get burned with limited upside and risk in most cases.
Well, call them guppy if you want, but this is the current ADPs like it or not:http://www.antsports.com/adp.aspx

Whats funny is that you or I could go through nearly all of the 1st round backs and do that very same thing to them with exceptions to LT and SA.

Edit to remove Holmes, we could list plenty of risks for him as well.

Well, call them guppy if you want, but this is the current ADPs like it or not:

http://www.antsports.com/adp.aspx

Whats funny is that you or I could go through nearly all of the 1st round backs and do that very same thing to them with exceptions to LT, SA and Holmes.
I consider any composite ADP from Yahoo, Antsports etc. to be guppy. Maybe that's snobbish but I just don't see those ADPs as being shark ADPs.

Whats funny is that you or I could go through nearly all of the 1st round backs and do that very same thing to them with exceptions to LT, SA and Holmes.
I consider any composite ADP from Yahoo, Antsports etc. to be guppy. Maybe that's snobbish but I just don't see those ADPs as being shark ADPs.
Pretty much agree with you there. :lol:

You can very easily follow up a 1st round pick of Manning with RBs such as:  K.Jones, Barber, J.Jones, Dillon, Green, Rudi, Jackson, Westy, Jordan, Martin, Bell.  Any combo of these 2.
In most 12 team shark leagues you're not going to find K. Jones and Barber in the 2nd round. Now let's look at the other Runningbacks you've mentioned:

Dillon = solid, but lacks upside, upthere in age

CuMar = see Dillon

Westy = Never been a fan

So IF, and only if, Dillon and Martin are there for you in the second I'd say you may pull it off if you land a solid RB in the third. A lot of If's though.

In Guppy leagues you can land a solid set of backs, in shark leagues you'll get burned with limited upside and risk in most cases.
Well, call them guppy if you want, but this is the current ADPs like it or not:http://www.antsports.com/adp.aspx

Exactly. There things to like and dislike about nearly every back out there. Holmes, as good as he is, has pretty big health question marks around him. Until very recently, SA has threatened to hold out. I might even dare to say LT has a few minor questions about him. Will he continue to catch the ball as frequently as he has in the past? Will all of those touches start to effect him at some point? Why was his YPC so crappy last year? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him and he's a clear #1, but even he's not the fantasy God that Faulk once was.

I get the strong feeling that anyone who values a player slightly differently than you do is a "guppy".If you don't like those ADPs, what do you like? Heck, throw out your own rankings and we'll go from there. In ANY set of rankings, there are very promising backs to be had in the 2nd round.

Colin
With all due respect, what the heck are you talking about?"Safety" aside, Manning's current projections (not previous performance, PROJECTIONS) put him in the 1st for VBD purposes.

You really CAN'T have it both ways. You talk about "VBD" points but igonore the fact that Manning has a 1st round VBD ranking. How do you explain this? Is the VBD model flawed in some way that you'd care to share? Are his projections too high? Where's the discrepancy?

You can stand by your statements if you want to, but as they stand right now, they just don't make sense. You are double-talking.
:yes:

I get the strong feeling that anyone who values a player slightly differently than you do is a "guppy".If you don't like those ADPs, what do you like? Heck, throw out your own rankings and we'll go from there. In ANY set of rankings, there are very promising backs to be had in the 2nd round.
I like CuMar and Dillon in the second round...the trouble begins when you start looking at RB2 and further down the road at your WR1, WR2, WR3, TEIt's just not worth the risk unless you're projecting another monster year from Manning, which most of us are not.

And the 3rd round! Heck lets just take the FBG top 36LT

SA

Edge

Holmes

McAllister

McGahee

K.Jones

Manning

Portis

Barber

J.Lewis

Moss

Dillon

Cpep

Green

Rudi

DD

Martin

TO

C.Johnson

J.Jones

Holt

Harrison

McNabb

Jordan

Westy

Horn

Jackson

Bell

Walker

Gates

Gonzo

A.Johnson

D.Jackson

Arrignton

Wayne

One justification for taking Manning in the first round (or basically any player in any round) is that his DVBD value is better than anyone else at that pick. For folks who weren't around when this came out, DVBD = dynamic VBD - the difference in VBD between the player you can get in this round and they player you'd get in the next. Let's imagine that you've got the fourth overall pick, and for simplicity's sake, we'll assume you have only two choices:QB1 (400 points), RB20 (200 points), RB24 (170 points) or RB4(270 points), RB20(200 points), QB4 (320 points). The question is, what is the value of QB1 relative to the other picks? The dropoff from QB1 to QB4 in this scenario is 80 points. And the dropoff from RB4 to RB20 is 70 points. So QB1 appears to be more valuable. But the reason that number is incorrect is that you'll still take RB20 if you take QB1. You're going to see a dropoff from your RB1 to your RB2, and another dropoff from your RB2 to your RB3 (alternately, you could look at it as the dropoff from the RB you take to the RB1 you could take to the RB3 you'll have to take instead). So the real dropoff is from RB4 (270) to RB24 (170), leaving you with a DVBD# of 100 - which is much bigger than the DVBD# of the QB in the same scenario (80). So the RB is the better value. But now let's assume you're at the 12th pick, and deciding between RB12/RB13 and QB1/RB12. You still have QB1 projected for 400 points, and you still think you'll get QB4 (320) at the bottom of the third if you wait, but the RB values have changed. RB13 is worth just 200 points in your projections, while you project that RB28 will be available in the third will be worth 140. Now the dropoff between Manning and QB4 is 80, you'll get RB12 in either scenario, and the dropoff between RB13 and RB28 is just 60 points, so Manning is the most valuable pick.

And the 3rd round! Heck lets just take the FBG top 36LT

SA

Edge

Holmes

McAllister

McGahee

K.Jones

Manning

Portis

Barber

J.Lewis

Moss

Dillon

Cpep

Green

Rudi

DD

Martin

TO

C.Johnson

J.Jones

Holt

Harrison

McNabb

Jordan

Westy

Horn

Jackson

Bell

Walker

Gates

Gonzo

A.Johnson

D.Jackson

Arrignton

Wayne
You just proved a good point Jurb. At 1.8 you get Manning in this example. At 2.5 you get Dominick Davis(very good, or Rudi or C-Mart), then at 3.8 you get your pick of:Gonzo

A.Johnson

D.Jackson

Arrignton

Wayne

I know I wouldnt' be comfortable with Arrington as my RB #2. Manning, DD, Arrington = :thumbdown:

I'd much rather go Mcgahee in 1, Julius Jones in 2 and then either grab bell, arrington or maybe grab Walker. :thumbup:

One justification for taking Manning in the first round (or basically any player in any round) is that his DVBD value is better than anyone else at that pick.

For folks who weren't around when this came out, DVBD = dynamic VBD - the difference in VBD between the player you can get in this round and they player you'd get in the next.

Let's imagine that you've got the fourth overall pick, and for simplicity's sake, we'll assume you have only two choices:

QB1 (400 points), RB20 (200 points), RB24 (170 points) or

RB4(270 points), RB20(200 points), QB4 (320 points).

The question is, what is the value of QB1 relative to the other picks?

The dropoff from QB1 to QB4 in this scenario is 80 points. And the dropoff from RB4 to RB20 is 70 points. So QB1 appears to be more valuable.

But the reason that number is incorrect is that you'll still take RB20 if you take QB1.

You're going to see a dropoff from your RB1 to your RB2, and another dropoff from your RB2 to your RB3 (alternately, you could look at it as the dropoff from the RB you take to the RB1 you could take to the RB3 you'll have to take instead).

So the real dropoff is from RB4 (270) to RB24 (170), leaving you with a DVBD# of 100 - which is much bigger than the DVBD# of the QB in the same scenario (80). So the RB is the better value.

But now let's assume you're at the 12th pick, and deciding between RB12/RB13 and QB1/RB12. You still have QB1 projected for 400 points, and you still think you'll get QB4 (320) at the bottom of the third if you wait, but the RB values have changed. RB13 is worth just 200 points in your projections, while you project that RB28 will be available in the third will be worth 140. Now the dropoff between Manning and QB4 is 80, you'll get RB12 in either scenario, and the dropoff between RB13 and RB28 is just 60 points, so Manning is the most valuable pick.
:goodposting: (I wish there was an "excellent posting" smilie) What a perfectly concise and clear explanation of DVBD.I also don't think there is a better argument for why Manning should be selected in the first round. The counter arguments against Manning in the first must come down to league rules that devalue QBs OR individual projections well below what most see. I, personally, have a low enough projection for Manning to keep him out of the first round - based on VBD/DVBD concepts - but I definitely understand why he will be selected in the first in a lot of drafts.

jurb - I apologize for jumping - I definitely understood what you meant and I am in 100% agreement. Most of the time, you and I are cross-talking in "bottom-line" agreement, and arguing against each other on different points.

There probably isn't a safer pick in the world of FF than Manning - primarily b/c, unlike the QB2 possibilities of C-Pepp and McNabb, Manning has the secondary advantage of a low injury risk combined with a style of play and offensive system designed for him not to ever GET injured - heck, I can't recall him getting knocked down much (unlike Marino who used to get knocked down after the play a lot).

Other 4th round QBs are definitely "safe" picks, however, and that was what I was reacting to - there is no other Manning out there - absolutely true.

OK - that was long winded enough without saying anything substantive. I still look back at Yudkin's post, and think about what he was trying to say - that just having the #1 overall QB (or #1 overall WR) does not automatically mean that the player's value justifies a first round pick.

And I think that is the essence of the Manning in the first debate - it also runs into the "C-Pepp in the first, too?" debate, but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.

I know I wouldnt' be comfortable with Arrington as my RB #2. Manning, DD, Arrington = :thumbdown:

I'd much rather go Mcgahee in 1, Julius Jones in 2 and then either grab bell, arrington or maybe grab Walker. :thumbup:
Maybe so - and you might be better off grabbing that 4th round QB of Bulger/Green.One thing overlooked here, though, arethe RBs not listed that you might value higher than FBGuys.com does - missing from the list are Duce Staley, Warrick Dunn, Fred Taylor, and Michael Bennett. Some of them I, personally, would take above Arrington, and some of them I would be comfortable with at RB2 if I had Manning and DD/Rudi/CuMar.

I'm not advocating that team as the stronger team, again - it all depends on whether you believe Manning is SO much more valuable than just about EVERY OTHER QB that you can take the perceived shortfall at RB2.

I stand by what I said.  All the exceptions that have been pointed out are not contrary to my point.

- Some people like that Manning is low-risk and can be counted on week in and week out.  Agreed.  That doesn't mean he'll be a top-12 overall player nor does it mean that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

- Some people think that Manning will produce at an amazingly high level and will finish in the top-12 overall in scoring.  Fair enough.  In such a case he might be worth a round 1 selection except for the fact that even a top-12 finish doesn't ensure that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

The point of all of this is that only in the rarest circumstances can I envision a "first round pick Peyton Manning" offering enough value RELATIVE TO HIS ON-FIELD POSITION to be worth more then a RB.  As I said, you may find that you like the safety of Manning just as someone might like the safety of Curtis Martin over the upside/risk of Tatum Bell in round 2.  But "safety" is its own characteristic.

Colin

Yes, projections. Projections that are too high.

I believe Manning went in the first round of 3 or 4 No Mercy leagues. Guppies?

I didn't say Manning's ADP was guppy, I said most composite rankings are guppy.I haven't seen the No Mercy ADPs, but I assume they're better than Antsports.

I didn't say Manning's ADP was guppy, I said most composite rankings are guppy.I haven't seen the No Mercy ADPs, but I assume it's better than Antsports.
I'm working on comparing them.They're not as far apart as you might think, at least from my first glance. Maybe it will get worse.

I think you discount Antsports too much, and give "expert" leagues too much credit.

While I disagree with LHUCK on this issue, you are making an unjustified characterization of his comment.

I think you discount Antsports too much, and give "expert" leagues too much credit.
And THAT I completely agree with - I rely on antsports' ADP numbers all the time and find them to be perfectly acceptable - and find them to be generally in line with FBGuys.com's ADP determinations.

I'm not advocating that team as the stronger team, again - it all depends on whether you believe Manning is SO much more valuable than just about EVERY OTHER QB that you can take the perceived shortfall at RB2.
That's basically what it comes down to. - How high do you have Manning projected at

- How does taking manning in round one effect your overall draft from a VBD perspective

My analysis shows increased risk at RB, WR and TE. Additionally it is more risky to be banking on one player to produce monster numbers as opposed to five different players that contribute to an overall points advantage. When you draft QB in round one you miss all the top tiers at the other positions as it forces your hand on what you're going to do for the next four or five rounds. The more conventional method of drafting is much more risk averse and flexible.

And THAT I completely agree with - I rely on antsports' ADP numbers all the time and find them to be perfectly acceptable - and find them to be generally in line with FBGuys.com's ADP determinations.
For starters I have a problem with CuMar at 3.01...FBG has him as a middle 2nd round selection which is where I have him. Tatum Bell is going earlier than middle 3rd in most of my drafts...etc. etc.

I didn't say Manning's ADP was guppy, I said most composite rankings are guppy.I haven't seen the No Mercy ADPs, but I assume it's better than Antsports.
I'm working on comparing them.They're not as far apart as you might think, at least from my first glance. Maybe it will get worse.

The only rankings I trust are my own. There are others that I pay close attention to, some of them FBG staff, but I do my own analysis for every player.When you compare Antsports to No Mercy make sure they are using the same scoring and have the same starting requirements etc. etc.

the same reason that Jeff George, Gus Frerotte, and Randall Cunningham weren't first rounders either without Moss- Moss is what gave them first round value, and without him that value goes away.

I stand by what I said.  All the exceptions that have been pointed out are not contrary to my point.

- Some people like that Manning is low-risk and can be counted on week in and week out.  Agreed.  That doesn't mean he'll be a top-12 overall player nor does it mean that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

- Some people think that Manning will produce at an amazingly high level and will finish in the top-12 overall in scoring.  Fair enough.  In such a case he might be worth a round 1 selection except for the fact that even a top-12 finish doesn't ensure that his VBD baseline will make him valuable enough to justify being a round 1 pick.

The point of all of this is that only in the rarest circumstances can I envision a "first round pick Peyton Manning" offering enough value RELATIVE TO HIS ON-FIELD POSITION to be worth more then a RB.  As I said, you may find that you like the safety of Manning just as someone might like the safety of Curtis Martin over the upside/risk of Tatum Bell in round 2.  But "safety" is its own characteristic.

Colin

Yes, projections. Projections that are too high.
FBG "free" projections were 4511 and 42. You can drop those numbers a fair amount before the VBD app would yield anything other than a 1st round selection for Manning.Again, I'm not saying that I think you HAVE to take Manning in the first, or that it is definitely the best thing to do. I'm just saying using VBD as a reason to AVOID taking Manning in the first doesn't make any sense.

I disagree with the DVBD strategy precisely because I'm NOT choosing betwix a RB in the first and a QB in the second vs. Manning in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd.I, personally, am more likely choosing between Manning in the 1st and a RB (who I will be counting on) in the 7th vs. a RB in the 1st and a QB (who I will be counting on) in the 7th.For example, I would MUCH rather have McGahee (1.06) and Aaron Brooks (7.06) then Manning (1.06) and TJ Duckett (7.06).Colin

Again, I'm not saying that I think you HAVE to take Manning in the first, or that it is definitely the best thing to do.  I'm just saying using VBD as a reason to AVOID taking Manning in the first doesn't make any sense.
Using VBD alone is a mistake in the first place, you should be taking a more holistic risk averse approach. :ph34r: Team A w/Peyton after six rounds vs. team B without Peyton after six rounds.

If the draft goes as should, I like the non-Peyton team every time. That's based on my projection of 4400/39 for Manning.

the same reason that Jeff George, Gus Frerotte, and Randall Cunningham weren't first rounders either without Moss- Moss is what gave them first round value, and without him that value goes away.
LOFL

Why not? Because Randy Moss was good. You can't assume that Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson will fill the void. I like Culpepper, but there's no way I'd take him the top 15 of most leagues.

Again, I'm not saying that I think you HAVE to take Manning in the first, or that it is definitely the best thing to do.  I'm just saying using VBD as a reason to AVOID taking Manning in the first doesn't make any sense.
Using VBD alone is a mistake in the first place, you should be taking a more holistic risk averse approach. :ph34r: Team A w/Peyton after six rounds vs. team B without Peyton after six rounds.

If the draft goes as should, I like the non-Peyton team every time. That's based on my projection of 4400/39 for Manning.
I have never said, nor do I believe in, using VBD the way you describe. If fact, I look at the output for the app to check out any interesting situations (like the Manning ranking for example) and apply the results of that thinking to my overall strategy (which, even though I am a serious numbers-geek, would be better described as the "gut" approach than anything else).Where we differ is that I'm not convinced Team A is better than Team B at all. Even without monster projections for Manning (which I don't have either), a fairly reliable top 3 performance from your QB WITH UPSIDE, is worth more than you are giving it credit for.

People act as if getting a good, solid QB in round 4 or 5 or 6 is no big deal, but it's not as simple as it is made out to be. They are available for sure, but you have to pick the right one or you are losing points every week to a guys with even average QBs. Everybody says Green or Bulger or Brooks, but there are so many of those guys to go around (the guys EVERY "stud RB theorist" is gunning for) and even the good ones are likely to be giving up points to the Manning owner every week.

All I am saying (and frankly what VBD is saying to some degree) is that there IS a point at which those extra points you get from Manning add up to more than you lose elsewhere. I have some confidence (not perfect confidence, but some confidence) that the guys I can get in the 2nd through X rounds (where you are picking YOUR QB) will be good enough RBs and WRs and potentially TEs that I will be able to compete with your guys in those rounds while Manning is beating up on your QB. It's a perfectly sound theory. I'm not guaranteeing it will work, but I think it's arrogant to suggest as many of you have that it is just "a guppy play" while the sharks beat you up with RBs.

LOFL
still laughingjust throwing Culpepper in with Frerotte, George and Cunningham.

Cunningham probably was first round material the year the Vikes set the scoring record, btw.

One justification for taking Manning in the first round (or basically any player in any round) is that his DVBD value is better than anyone else at that pick.

For folks who weren't around when this came out, DVBD = dynamic VBD - the difference in VBD between the player you can get in this round and they player you'd get in the next.

Let's imagine that you've got the fourth overall pick, and for simplicity's sake, we'll assume you have only two choices:

QB1 (400 points), RB20 (200 points), RB24 (170 points) or

RB4(270 points), RB20(200 points), QB4 (320 points).

The question is, what is the value of QB1 relative to the other picks?

The dropoff from QB1 to QB4 in this scenario is 80 points. And the dropoff from RB4 to RB20 is 70 points. So QB1 appears to be more valuable.

But the reason that number is incorrect is that you'll still take RB20 if you take QB1.

You're going to see a dropoff from your RB1 to your RB2, and another dropoff from your RB2 to your RB3 (alternately, you could look at it as the dropoff from the RB you take to the RB1 you could take to the RB3 you'll have to take instead).

So the real dropoff is from RB4 (270) to RB24 (170), leaving you with a DVBD# of 100 - which is much bigger than the DVBD# of the QB in the same scenario (80). So the RB is the better value.

But now let's assume you're at the 12th pick, and deciding between RB12/RB13 and QB1/RB12. You still have QB1 projected for 400 points, and you still think you'll get QB4 (320) at the bottom of the third if you wait, but the RB values have changed. RB13 is worth just 200 points in your projections, while you project that RB28 will be available in the third will be worth 140. Now the dropoff between Manning and QB4 is 80, you'll get RB12 in either scenario, and the dropoff between RB13 and RB28 is just 60 points, so Manning is the most valuable pick.
Look, this will happen when you double the starters at one position over the other. QBs score more than RBs across rankings 1-25 (QB1 v. RB1, QB2 v. RB2, QB3 v. RB3, etc.; if you'd like the data, I'd be happy to share), but even that's not enough to make up for the fact that you're starting 2 RBs and only 1 QB. In this setup of 1QB and 2RB, the function of "value" in your leagues isn't tied to the production of the guy at his position--it's tied to the lineup requirements. Not sure why some of you guys aren't terribly bothered by this. Not sure of any GM that would select Rudi Johnson over Manning or Culpepper. But, in your leagues, this is precisely what happens; you've set it up to penalize whomever selects the best player available (i.e., the sucker who gets Manning).

The remedy, of course, is the 2QB/2RB lineup. But, old, tired habits apparently die hard.

I presume that the same logic applies to Super Flex League (start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 Flex (can be qb, wr, rb, te, def).

Users who are viewing this thread