What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (2 Viewers)

The Others could wipe-out the losties with little difficult.
I'm not so sure I agree with this part of your theory. I think it's entirely possible The Others are not as powerful as they appear. Recall when Jack and Mr. Friendly were face-to-face and Jack essentially called him on that very point and there was a noticeable flinch on Mr. Friendly's face that led me to speculate at the time that Jack had nailed it. The Others weren't quite as powerful and were making an overt show of force to try and lead the survivors into thinking they were more dominant then they really were. It was only when they produced Kate as a hostage that they were able to elude Jack's line of questioning about the true nature of their power and strength. If they really were all powerful it seems to me they could've wiped out all of the survivors by now (or at least the ones who aren't "good"). Perhaps one of the reasons why they haven't is because they are aware that when push comes to shove they may not win the fight. I don't think this point has been forgotten by Jack and I believe it will return at a later date when he really begins to take the "war" to them.
Or perhaps they don't want to kill them. Ethan showed that he was a very competent hunter and a skilled woodsman (carried two hostages ahead of a running Jack and heroine-boy), as well as a skilled fighter (whupped Jack and managed to penetrate the perimeter of their defenses to kill Scott). Assuming he wasn't just a blip, but rather indicative of the abilities of The Others, I think that The Others could take them. Throw in their seeming ability to acquire tools from the outside (a boat, medical supplies, theater makeup, fuel for the boat, food, etc...), it's not so hard to imagine that they could acquire some interesting weaponry and, combined with their hunting/combat prowess and knowledge of the geography make short work of the 45 or so civilians holed-up on shore.
And yet nearly everything they've done has been in the undercover of the night which leads me to wonder if they lack the resources for a complete assault and must attempt to work in stealth in order to mask their own weaknesses. If they are truly capable of wiping the survivors out without a worry then they don't need to carry out their plans only at night, they can attack in the daylight without fear of being turned back (and yes I realize the dramatic implications of such events occuring in nightfall and don't dispute that aspect of the storytelling). They've assaulted some but not all of the survivors and they've abducted some but not all. The question then is why not just carry out the job and take who they want and kill who they want and be done with survivors completely?Of course, that question may lie at the very heart of the entire drama which is the reason why we haven't seen a direct and more complete attempt at an assault by The Others.
Wasn't Jack wrong when he speculated to Mr. Friendly that the Others weren't as strong as they appeared? Didn't like 10-15 Others lit torches at the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate also had "daddy issues"

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think Zeke's group are as strong as they're making themselves out to be.

Jack went toe to toe with Ethan, nearly getting the best of him. Jack's not Charlie, but he doesn't appear to be a formally trained figher, either.

Eko, obviously no slouch, took out a couple of them during the nighttime raid.

Ana Lucia (yes she was a cop) took out Goodwin with relative ease.

They do seem to be able to acquire "tools" but much of the stuff they have seems somewhat rudimentary. They had a gun or two on the boat when they kidnapped Walt, but they also had molotov cocktails made in what appeared to be mason jars.

The show of strength they exhibited during the "line in the sand" meeting was posturing IMO. Yes, a dozen or so torches lit up on Zeke's request, but I have a feeling that's about as much as they've got. They took a few guns from Jack and Sawyer, but the survivors still have a lot of firepower - provided Sawyer gives it out.

I'm not so sure I agree with this part of your theory. I think it's entirely possible The Others are not as powerful as they appear. Recall when Jack and Mr. Friendly were face-to-face and Jack essentially called him on that very point and there was a noticeable flinch on Mr. Friendly's face that led me to speculate at the time that Jack had nailed it. The Others weren't quite as powerful and were making an overt show of force to try and lead the survivors into thinking they were more dominant then they really were. It was only when they produced Kate as a hostage that they were able to elude Jack's line of questioning about the true nature of their power and strength. If they really were all powerful it seems to me they could've wiped out all of the survivors by now (or at least the ones who aren't "good"). Perhaps one of the reasons why they haven't is because they are aware that when push comes to shove they may not win the fight. I don't think this point has been forgotten by Jack and I believe it will return at a later date when he really begins to take the "war" to them.
Or perhaps they don't want to kill them. Ethan showed that he was a very competent hunter and a skilled woodsman (carried two hostages ahead of a running Jack and heroine-boy), as well as a skilled fighter (whupped Jack and managed to penetrate the perimeter of their defenses to kill Scott). Assuming he wasn't just a blip, but rather indicative of the abilities of The Others, I think that The Others could take them. Throw in their seeming ability to acquire tools from the outside (a boat, medical supplies, theater makeup, fuel for the boat, food, etc...), it's not so hard to imagine that they could acquire some interesting weaponry and, combined with their hunting/combat prowess and knowledge of the geography make short work of the 45 or so civilians holed-up on shore.
And yet nearly everything they've done has been in the undercover of the night which leads me to wonder if they lack the resources for a complete assault and must attempt to work in stealth in order to mask their own weaknesses. If they are truly capable of wiping the survivors out without a worry then they don't need to carry out their plans only at night, they can attack in the daylight without fear of being turned back (and yes I realize the dramatic implications of such events occuring in nightfall and don't dispute that aspect of the storytelling). They've assaulted some but not all of the survivors and they've abducted some but not all. The question then is why not just carry out the job and take who they want and kill who they want and be done with survivors completely?Of course, that question may lie at the very heart of the entire drama which is the reason why we haven't seen a direct and more complete attempt at an assault by The Others.
Wasn't Jack wrong when he speculated to Mr. Friendly that the Others weren't as strong as they appeared? Didn't like 10-15 Others lit torches at the point.
Sure, but 10-15 against 40+? And some of the 40 have military/police training as well (and others like Echo/Locke are very capable in some other way). The others could expect to lose at least half their number, if not get wiped out completely in a direct frontal assault. Perhaps they lost too many assaulting the tailies already.Anyhow, I don't think the others want to wipe out the survivors. The survivors have been brought here for a reason.....we're just not sure why yet.

New thought about why Henry came to the Losties.

He's not a plant. He expected to get found out. He even put the bug in Jack and Locke's heads about trading him for another person.

What I'm speculating is that the others WANT to trade Gale for Walt.

Because Walt has been brainwashed, and Walt will be the perfect mole.

He's not a plant. He expected to get found out. He even put the bug in Jack and Locke's heads about trading him for another person.

why go through all the trouble? why not just release walt?

Well we know that the others can manuver around the island without being detected. We know that they killed or kidnapped most 13-15 of the "tailes", so I feel confident in thinking that the "others", if they really wanted, could take out the survivors.

Now ... back to "HIM" that Henry mentioned.

I reacall that Ethan, during Clair's flashback was pulled out of the Nursery by the "bearded man" and he was reprimanding Ethan becuase he did not "Make the List of them" and that "HE" would be very disappointed.

I think it is safe to assume that Ethan was there for 2 things. One, to get clair and 2 to make that list of the survivors, similar to the one that the "tailies" found on the other that Ecko killed.

But now we are seeing multiple references to "HIM" by the others.

Then where does Michael fit in?

If he has indeed found Walt.

I'm wondering why they haven't mentioned Michael is some time.

He's not a plant.  He expected to get found out.  He even put the bug in Jack and Locke's heads about trading him for another person.

why go through all the trouble? why not just release walt?
Good point. Maybe the thought of a 12 year old kid outwitting and escaping from them didn't seem credible?Plus, this allowed Henry a good chance to do some recon on the Losties.

Despite him being a liar, buy in for at least this post that he was telling Locke he was done lying.  Thus, he really didn't enter the numbers into the computerSo what's this say?  I dunno.  To me, I believe he was planted to find out what went on in the hatch.  What does the computer do?  I think it's a mystery to The Others as well as to the Losties.  He was to gain their trust, thinking that Desmond had instilled in Jack/Locke/etc... some knowledge of the purpose of the hatch.
I agree with some of your thoughts. I don't think Henry was a plant, but I do think that he was telling the truth after he was found out.This goes back to some of my posts before where for some reason I ignored Sayid/Rousseaus telling us (the viewers) that Henry was an Other. I just thought that the writers were trying to trick us, but they usually do not do this. Thus, I take the "I am not lying anymore" line from Henry at face value. I think that was the writers cue to us that what he said was true.

So, if we take what he said to be true then he also told Locke that this hatch was nothing. The way he said that meant to me that the Others do know that the hatch was just some sort of psych expirement and is nothing compared to what is present in other parts of the island. That is why I don't think he was a plant to find out about the hatch.

Also, I think the most important thing that Henry said was about Zeke not being important either and the leader. As packersfan and someone else alluded to this "He" that we don't know is very powerful to make Zeke and Henry worried. There were some posts about it during Claire's epsiode based on Zeke and Ethan's conversation, but that seemed more like a worried about your boss conversation whereas Henry was legitimately fearing for his life.

Anyone notice that the hatch is a reverse Skinner box?

They finally don't push the button, and they're rewarded with food.

I was going to post this yesterday. I was thinking that the forst time that Locke missed the 108 minute deadline was what prompted the delivery of the food. But when you think of it, how would the one that is in the hatch get out to get it?

I was going to post this yesterday. I was thinking that the forst time that Locke missed the 108 minute deadline was what prompted the delivery of the food. But when you think of it, how would the one that is in the hatch get out to get it?
Door rise automatically?Whatever the case may be, I'm thoroughly convinced that the hatch is just an experiment and has no practical use.

Door rise automatically?Whatever the case may be, I'm thoroughly convinced that the hatch is just an experiment and has no practical use.
How about, the doors are to shield the computer against the EM pulse and rise automatically after the pulse dissipates.

Sure, but 10-15 against 40+? And some of the 40 have military/police training as well (and others like Echo/Locke are very capable in some other way). The others could expect to lose at least half their number, if not get wiped out completely in a direct frontal assault. Perhaps they lost too many assaulting the tailies already.Anyhow, I don't think the others want to wipe out the survivors. The survivors have been brought here for a reason.....we're just not sure why yet.
I must have missed something somewhere. The Others arent just another tribe of people hanging out picking coconuts here, right. Certainly they for some reason spend days getting grubbed up and unshaven just to make an appearance like they are when making a foray into Lostie camp, but when we see Claire at the facility, everyone's wearing Khakis and sportshirts, etc. I'm pretty certain Robinson Crusoe wouldnt have energy fields and shields (was I high or did I see Jack or Sawyer take a shot at the old bearded dude and it bounce of some field?), a lab and all sorts of hightech mumbo jumbo. They only make an assault for experimental reasons near as I can tell. They might kill or kidnap someone, but something tells me its because they need to control the experiment/subjects in some way.

Anyone think Henry could have used the computer to contact the Others?
I don't.Like Hulk, I just think this hatch is just a psych expirement and has no real purpose. I don't think that computer is anything other than an old POS to enter numbers on.

I think Michael talking to Walt was a vision/mind projection/etc. because we saw Jack walk around behind Michael and there was nothing on the screen.

Also, I believe Henry's discussion with Locke since the writers put that "I'm done lying" line, and he said that this hatch was nothing and the numbers did nothing.

It seems apparent that the "He" Henry referred to and the "He" refererd to in Claire's abduction story is destined to be a someone each of the survivors encountered in their pre-island life.
I'm glad this is finally being mentioned (and if someone mentioned it before my apologies but I missed it). Whoever "He" is, it's someone The Others are damn scared of. Mr. Friendly ("Zeke") seemed worried about "his" reaction to Ethan not following the plan with regard to Claire's abduction and Henry is convinced whoever "he" is will kill him if he says a word about what he's up to. Whoever this person is he's wielding a ton of power and exerting enough influence to generate fear among The Others who are carrying out whatever plan(s) he is implementing.
Does Henry remind anyone of Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects? Something about his voice and just the way he talks...So...going with that...maybe the he is....Keyser Soze

Good point. Maybe the thought of a 12 year old kid outwitting and escaping from them didn't seem credible?

Plus, this allowed Henry a good chance to do some recon on the Losties.
A drugged up 9 month pregnant girl escaped them. Why couldn't a 12 year old kid? Assuming that the "Alex" that brought out Kate during the "line in the sand" meeting is the same Alex that helped free Claire, there appears to have been no great consequences suffered. Based on Zeke and Henry's fear of "Him" you'd think that if one of them was found to have aided a Lostie there would be severe repercussions. Unless Claire's been an unwitting plant since her return?

Agreed that it allows Henry to get a great recon on the Losties.

I must have missed something somewhere. The Others arent just another tribe of people hanging out picking coconuts here, right. Certainly they for some reason spend days getting grubbed up and unshaven just to make an appearance like they are when making a foray into Lostie camp, but when we see Claire at the facility, everyone's wearing Khakis and sportshirts, etc. I'm pretty certain Robinson Crusoe wouldnt have energy fields and shields (was I high or did I see Jack or Sawyer take a shot at the old bearded dude and it bounce of some field?), a lab and all sorts of hightech mumbo jumbo. They only make an assault for experimental reasons near as I can tell. They might kill or kidnap someone, but something tells me its because they need to control the experiment/subjects in some way.
Clearly high. ;) You might have missed Kate searching through lockers and finding beard glue with a Dharma label on it. The Others are definitely in on it, it being some form of the Dharma expirements which may or may not still be going on. I agree that they only kidnap people when necessary. The only people that have been killed or attempted to be killed were Scott/Steve, Charlie and Michael/Jin/Sawyer. I think Scott/Steve and Charlie were because Ethan went a little haywire and wasn't an overall Other plan. Remember that Zeke told Ethan that Claire wasn't even on the list, i.e. Ethan did that on his own. Zeke and friends blew up the raft because I don't think they want to let the survivors get off the island.

"see you in another life".

Yes...Dave said it...Desmond said it to Jack....and now I am told it was said 2 other times....by who?

Nadia wrote it on the picture to Sayid AND it is what Locke's dad said to him as they were going into surgery for the kidney transplant.

I have not confirmed this...but have been told this...

Whatever the case may be, I'm thoroughly convinced that the hatch is just an experiment and has no practical use.
While I agree it's part of the experiment, the fact that there was a veritable arsenal in there, makes its use at least somewhat practical. If all the guns were fakes and the ammunition blanks I could see it as part of the experiment, but since the guns have been used and fired I think there may be a slightly deeper use for the hatch that we just don't know yet.Does pushing the button do anything substantive? I don't think so.

What purpose does arming a "useless" hatch with real guns and live ammunition serve? Perhaps it could be argued they're there to see if one of the subjects will use a gun to commit suicide. Having guns there for "effect" to emphasize the importance of the "mission" for the experimental subject could be accomplished by real guns adapted to fire blanks.

my new theory is that henry was sent to do something within the hatch. perhaps the others were unable to return to the hatch because desmond had it locked up tight? the timer has reached "zero", so maybe it reaching zero triggered something in the other hatches? maybe henry needed to send a command, reset or something? we know that the computer is connected to some kind of network becuase of the the michael/walt exchange. he admitted to not keying the numbers in but he did really account for the time between his entering the vent and returning to help locke. as much as anything, i think the others needed to know how much the losties actually knew about the island/dharma/etc. they knew they had breached the hatch, given their last encounter, but little else beyond that. maybe that hatch has greater importance than the others (clearly because some were abandoned) and the others were forced to act?

Whatever the case may be, I'm thoroughly convinced that the hatch is just an experiment and has no practical use.
While I agree it's part of the experiment, the fact that there was a veritable arsenal in there, makes its use at least somewhat practical. If all the guns were fakes and the ammunition blanks I could see it as part of the experiment, but since the guns have been used and fired I think there may be a slightly deeper use for the hatch that we just don't know yet.Does pushing the button do anything substantive? I don't think so.

What purpose does arming a "useless" hatch with real guns and live ammunition serve? Perhaps it could be argued they're there to see if one of the subjects will use a gun to commit suicide. Having guns there for "effect" to emphasize the importance of the "mission" for the experimental subject could be accomplished by real guns adapted to fire blanks.
I highly doubt Sayid or Ana Lucia would be unable to immediately recognize blanks.I know I can.

I highly doubt Sayid or Ana Lucia would be unable to immediately recognize blanks.I know I can.
The hatch wasn't designed to have Sayid or Ana Lucia in it, though.Still, if the hatch is, in fact, "useless" why is it armed to the teeth for a two-man team who's supposed to be in there?

I like Sainfool's idea that the hatch actually has greater importance than we're being told/led to believe.

The hatch wasn't designed to have Sayid or Ana Lucia in it, though.Still, if the hatch is, in fact, "useless" why is it armed to the teeth for a two-man team who's supposed to be in there?

I like Sainfool's idea that the hatch actually has greater importance than we're being told/led to believe.
You've got a strong point about that... although I think almost anyone who has seen a bullet before would realize that a blank looks significantly different.I think the button pushing is definitely just and experiment in psychology. Beyond that, the hatch may have some other purpose. I'd wager that those two thoughts are not mutually exclusive.

You've got a strong point about that... although I think almost anyone who has seen a bullet before would realize that a blank looks significantly different.I think the button pushing is definitely just and experiment in psychology. Beyond that, the hatch may have some other purpose. I'd wager that those two thoughts are not mutually exclusive.
Or that the hatch once had a significant purpose and now is relatively useless.

See, I don't buy that. The other hatches that we have seen that have been abandoned are effectively stripped clean. The one that the Tailies used was empty. The one which Ethan used to keep Claire was pretty bare. This hatch is anything but that. That would imply some real value to me.

I must have missed something somewhere.  The Others arent just another tribe of people hanging out picking coconuts here, right.  Certainly they for some reason spend days getting grubbed up and unshaven just to make an appearance like they are when making a foray into Lostie camp, but when we see Claire at the facility, everyone's wearing Khakis and sportshirts, etc.  I'm pretty certain Robinson Crusoe wouldnt have energy fields and shields (was I high or did I see Jack or Sawyer take a shot at the old bearded dude and it bounce of some field?), a lab and all sorts of hightech mumbo jumbo.  They only make an assault for experimental reasons near as I can tell.  They might kill or kidnap someone, but something tells me its because they need to control the experiment/subjects in some way.
Clearly high. ;)
No kiddin...... :unsure: I only watch it once, and even then I get a bit frustrated with watching something I've seen 4 times already and am kinda in and out. I thought when Kate (whoever she is, the curly headed cute chick thats either kissing Sawyer or Jack) was captured and they had the little standoff off with old bearded guy that Jack took a shot at him from close range and it sort of crackled off some field or similarly had no affect.

I gotta stop drinking so early in the evening. This is one of those shows I cant decide if I'm interested in enough to get the DVDs and actually study, or disinterested in the payoff enough to never watch again. :lmao:

See, I don't buy that. The other hatches that we have seen that have been abandoned are effectively stripped clean. The one that the Tailies used was empty. The one which Ethan used to keep Claire was pretty bare. This hatch is anything but that. That would imply some real value to me.
"Useless" was a strong, poorly chosen word. "Less significant" than the original purpose would have been better.The guns are intended to provide a level of security, be it mental, physical, or both. The food drop is an obvious ressuply, but we haven't seen anymore guns/ammo being provided with the food drop. I'm jump from there to the conclusion that the hatch is less important than it once was.

"Useless" was a strong, poorly chosen word. "Less significant" than the original purpose would have been better.The guns are intended to provide a level of security, be it mental, physical, or both. The food drop is an obvious ressuply, but we haven't seen anymore guns/ammo being provided with the food drop. I'm jump from there to the conclusion that the hatch is less important than it once was.
to me, the only thing that suggests the hatch is less signifcant than any of the others is that it had a single person manning it. First Kelvin, then Desmond and now the Losties. It's less significant because a single person is sequestered there perhaps. However, if it were insignificant why bothered having anyone keying the numbers at all? Again, why not abandon it entirely? There is something there.

On another forum, there is a debate on wether or not the fake Henry was also at the mental hospital:

Henry:

http://www.thetailsection.com/forums/attac...jpg?d=114437882

Hospital Henry?:

http://www.thetailsection.com/forums/attac...pg?d=1144378842
kinda resembles him but I'm pretty sure it's not the same guy.
Looks like the same guy to me :confused:
Looks like the same guy to me too. I kept watching the backgound for familiar faces but I must have missed this one.

my new theory is that henry was sent to do something within the hatch. perhaps the others were unable to return to the hatch because desmond had it locked up tight? the timer has reached "zero", so maybe it reaching zero triggered something in the other hatches? maybe henry needed to send a command, reset or something? we know that the computer is connected to some kind of network becuase of the the michael/walt exchange. he admitted to not keying the numbers in but he did really account for the time between his entering the vent and returning to help locke. as much as anything, i think the others needed to know how much the losties actually knew about the island/dharma/etc. they knew they had breached the hatch, given their last encounter, but little else beyond that. maybe that hatch has greater importance than the others (clearly because some were abandoned) and the others were forced to act?
With all of the other "hallucinations" on the island...did the Michael/Walt talking really happen...or was it just in Michael's head?

to me, the only thing that suggests the hatch is less signifcant than any of the others is that it had a single person manning it. First Kelvin, then Desmond and now the Losties. It's less significant because a single person is sequestered there perhaps. However, if it were insignificant why bothered having anyone keying the numbers at all? Again, why not abandon it entirely? There is something there.
Good question. I can think of a couple possible solutions.IIRC Desmond said that Kelvin wasn't alone there originally. Once Desmond was there, there were two people pushing the button.

I don't think Kelvin or Desmond are related to DHARMA, they are/were merely test subjects. The Losties are now in the hatch continuing the experiment.

It's possible that the Others, while somehow related to DHARMA, are also test subjects to some degree and they didn't actually know about the hatch, and that only the "Him" or the other puppeteers know everything about the island.

I don't believe a word "Henry" has said. If he was really ready to be honest with Locke why not give his real name?

The reverse Skinner box is a good thought. Maybe that's why Desmond had such a large store of food in the pantry. Maybe he quit entering the numbers for a while and the food just kept dropping in. Maybe to fight off insanity he thought it would be better to pretend to have a purpose rather than just sit in the hatch all alone.

I still don't think Henry let the timer run out though. He pushed the button and he lied to Locke about it. Perhaps it is a test of Locke's faith, and perhaps that is the reason he was sent in the first place.

On another forum, there is a debate on wether or not the fake Henry was also at the mental hospital:

Henry:

http://www.thetailsection.com/forums/attac...jpg?d=114437882

Hospital Henry?:

http://www.thetailsection.com/forums/attac...pg?d=1144378842
kinda resembles him but I'm pretty sure it's not the same guy.
Looks like the same guy to me :confused:
Looks like the same guy to me too. I kept watching the backgound for familiar faces but I must have missed this one.
That wasn't in this week's episode. That lightbulb guy was from I think a season one episode.

Good question. I can think of a couple possible solutions.

IIRC Desmond said that Kelvin wasn't alone there originally. Once Desmond was there, there were two people pushing the button.

I don't think Kelvin or Desmond are related to DHARMA, they are/were merely test subjects. The Losties are now in the hatch continuing the experiment.

It's possible that the Others, while somehow related to DHARMA, are also test subjects to some degree and they didn't actually know about the hatch, and that only the "Him" or the other puppeteers know everything about the island.
I think Desmond said that Kelvin left him alone but I could be wrong. I do not think that Desmond was directly connected to Dharma either. He happened to crash on the island. Kelvin may have been too but who knows for sure at this point?

I still think the Others are Dharma refugees/survivors. Dharma/Hanso were using the island but ultimately abandoned it. The Others either chose to remain or were left behind. The Others that we have seen very suspicious of new people, so perhaps they were concerned that they were suddenly being forced to leave the island?

Good question.  I can think of a couple possible solutions.

IIRC Desmond said that Kelvin wasn't alone there originally.  Once Desmond was there, there were two people pushing the button.

I don't think Kelvin or Desmond are related to DHARMA, they are/were merely test subjects.  The Losties are now in the hatch continuing the experiment.

I think Desmond said that Kelvin left him alone but I could be wrong. I do not think that Desmond was directly connected to Dharma either. He happened to crash on the island. Kelvin may have been too but who knows for sure at this point?

I still think the Others are Dharma refugees/survivors. Dharma/Hanso were using the island but ultimately abandoned it. The Others either chose to remain or were left behind. The Others that we have seen very suspicious of new people, so perhaps they were concerned that they were suddenly being forced to leave the island?
Kelvin left Desmond alone because he apparently got "sick" and died. I believe that Desmond told the Losties that Kelvin had a partner there at one point, as well. I could be wrong though.I'm flip-flopping between your theory/thoughts and my new one. I originally thought that they left behind or whatever, as well.

But, if DHARMA/HANSO are this deep (somehow bringing all these people who have interacted in some way, shape or form before the island), it would make sense for them to make it seem like the Others were in charge, when in fact they were still a part of the experiment.

I thought that in the tallie flashback episode.... someone commented on the children doing something to one of the survivors?

When you take that with the episode where Ecko and Jin were watching the children's feet walk through the jungle.... (Ecko had an expression of fear) you get the sense that the DHARMA project is an attempt to transform children into weapons (like in the book Firestarter).

People like Ethan ( who appears younger than Zeke) were the Alpha subjects.... and were gifted with superior strength, endurance....

Walt and the children with the Tallies are the Betas.... and are gifted with physic/telekinetic powers.

So, anyone looking forward to the Rose/Bernard flashback?  :yawn:
Actually, yes. I read a little spoiler, so here is why I am interested:
From Spoilerfix.com, Rose supposedly has a connection with Locke which is why she doesn't want to leave the island. Next week's epsiode has Bernard trying to signal for help. I also read somewhere that as a hint about the connection one could also say that Rose and Jin are connected. The only thing in common with Locke and Jin are that they were both "healed" by the island. Locke no longer needed the wheel chair and Jin miraculously got Sun pregnant even though the doctor said it was impossible. I think we will find out that Rose also was afflicted by something and it is now gone and maybe Bernard doesn't know yet.

I am very interested in the whole healing angle. I think it opens up another mystery on the island which is probably related to another one of the Dharma expirements. Also, the healing thing makes me think that the mind control/reading/projecting thing is definitely there. If people can accept Locke/Jin and maybe now Rose getting healed, why not the mind control/reading/projecting?
Edit to Add: This is a very minor spoiler, kind of a single line blurb about the next episode, definitely not on par with Hulk's spoilers. I just wanted to point that out because I don't think much has been discussed about it and how/what may be causing it.

I thought that in the tallie flashback episode.... someone commented on the children doing something to one of the survivors?

When you take that with the episode where Ecko and Jin were watching the children's feet walk through the jungle.... (Ecko had an expression of fear) you get the sense that the DHARMA project is an attempt to transform children into weapons (like in the book Firestarter).

People like Ethan ( who appears younger than Zeke) were the Alpha subjects.... and were gifted with superior strength, endurance....

Walt and the children with the Tallies are the Betas.... and are gifted with physic/telekinetic powers.
I don't remember that, do you have a transript or can you find one?I just remember a couple things about that. First, it surprised me that Eko was so afraid. Him and Jin should have been able to physically handle what looked like young kids. Second, Eko said that if they don't want to be found, they won't be found. Again, if as you said, the kids were still 100% normal, then Eko/Jin could have ambushed that small group and the kids would have gone willingly with Eko.

Think the producers got some inspiration from real life? Snipped from a Toronto Star article.

Uncle Sam's scientists busy building insect army

No, it's not an April Fool's joke Defence research agency creates landmine-sniffing bugs

Lynda Hurst, Toronto Star

A rocky foreign terrain. Platoons of remotely controlled cyborg-insects sniffing out landmines, transmitting their location back to human handlers.

Can you picture it? No?

Well, that's the difference between you and the scientists, "extreme thinkers," at DARPA, the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency, where soldier insects are already in the works.

The agency's mandate is to maintain the technological superiority of the U.S. military through "far-future" thinking. Its cutting-edge, some would say lunatic-fringe, researchers give new meaning to the concept of brainstorming.

But way back at the dawn of computer time, circa 1969, they developed the precursor to the Internet, known as the ARPANET. They invented GPS, global positioning systems. They're credited, in fact, with half the major innovations in the high-tech industry, not to mention the 120-plus technologies they've come up with for the military, everything from the now standard M-16 rifle to stealth aircraft.

But back to the bugs.

DARPA's current big idea is to implant tiny microsystems into insects at the pupa stage of their development, when they can be "integrated" into their internal organs.

A step or three later, they could be turned into miniature unmanned vehicles for use on military missions "requiring unobtrusive entry into areas inaccessible or hostile to humans." Osama Bin Laden's cave, say.

But first things first.

In its call for proposals from university researchers and private firms last month, DARPA said the immediate goal is "the controlled arrival of an insect within five metres of a specified target located 100 metres away. It must then remain stationary indefinitely, unless otherwise instructed ... to transmit data to sensors providing information about the local environment."

Dragonflies and moths are "of great interest," but "hopping and swimming insects could also meet final demonstration goals."

Or not. Similar research on honeybees and wasps in 2003 was, quite frankly, a wash-out. The insects had tiny radio transmitters glued to their backs to track their movements in the hope their natural foraging behaviour could be harnessed to check for toxic substances. But the bees buzzed off, to feed and mate. In agency parlance, "their instinctive behaviours prevented them from performing reliably."

Still, researchers learned that bees can recognize individuals. Whether they could also learn to salute, as one skeptic put it, is unknown. The whole cyborg-insect idea may sound hare-brained, but to Stephen Tobe, a University of Toronto zoologist specializing in invertebrate endocrinology, it's plausible. "If the correct microsystem was inserted, the insect's neurons could surround it. But its entire nervous system would have to be reprogrammed. It's difficult to conceptualize where they'd implant it."

The question is intriguing, says Tobe, but "whether it should be pursued, well ... I won't even go there. It's great DARPA has lots of money to throw around for blue-sky thinking."

Indeed it does $3.1 billion this year. That compares with the $325 million Ottawa has earmarked for supposedly blue-sky research up here. The difference is more than enough to make Canadian scientists "weep with envy," says John Polanyi, the Nobel Prize-winning U of T chemist. But it's the philosophy of the research they truly envy, he adds. "The long-term, out-of-the-box approach is why the U.S. is the world leader in science. Canada thinks in the short term. It's all about wealth creation here, having business models, setting milestones for work even before it's begun."

DARPA's staff of scientists and engineers, drawn from universities and IT companies, work on a project for three to five years before they're rotated into something fresh. Their assignment is to come up with big ideas, the most impossible-seeming referred to in-house as "hard problems" or the "unobtainiums." The actual development work is contracted out to university labs, Harvard among them, and private companies.

"Our job is to take the technical excuse off the table, so people can no longer say it can't be done," director Anthony Tether told the U.S. Congress in 2003. The agency was created in 1958, four months after the Soviets launched the Sputnik satellite, seriously denting American assumptions of military superiority. It coordinates with the Pentagon, but from the start has been independent and self-governing. "Failure to keep the bureaucracy at bay would have doomed the value of DARPA, and this has been consistently recognized over the years," says its website.

"These guys have the freedom to think big, run wild," says Noah Shachtman, a New York technology analyst who runs Defensetech.org. "They know some of their more outlandish schemes won't ever happen - like maybe the armies of cyber-insects - but they pick up important pieces of knowledge in the process."

With a defence department budget of $600 billion a year, he says, "there is room for a place like DARPA, where the research is imaginative, far-out and sometimes creepy."

The insect work is part of DARPA's Controlled Biological and Biomimetic Systems Program. Biomimetics is taking an idea from nature and putting it into technology How does a gecko climb up walls, an octopus camouflage itself, a beetle sense fire from 40 kilometres away? And how can those skills be adapted into machines, or more likely, robots? (DARPA likes robots so much that it funds the $2 million prize for an annual robot-car race between Los Angeles and Las Vegas to foster research.)

Back in the lab, work is well-advanced on a biomimetic underwater robot that the agency calls the "robolobster." It mimics the action of its organic cousin, scurrying along the ocean floor, looking for mines and buried bombs.

Then, there's "BigDog," a "robotic beast of burden" that's being developed to haul over rough terrain at least 40 kilograms of supplies that soldiers have to carry.

And not least, the Raptor project, a "marsupial" robot aircraft that will command a squad of roving robots. In the military scenario, Raptor would be airdropped into enemy territory and, like a kangaroo spilling out her young, would release a squad of small robots. They would traverse unknown terrain using night vision lenses and laser radar and the intelligence they pick up communicated back to the Raptor for transmission to the humans at base.

DARPA isn't limiting itself to mimicking nature. It's also changing it.

The department of naval research famously pioneered the use of dolphins for military service in the Vietnam War. DARPA plans the same for sharks. It's working on a neural implant to manipulate sharks' brain signals, allowing humans to control their movements, decipher their brain activity, possibly decode their perceptions. The "unobtainium" here is to transform the sharks into stealth spies, capable of following vessels without being spotted, sensing chemical trails and electromagnetic fields.

At least, that's the plan. (DARPA doesn't comment on the status of its projects, but word is they're still at the dogfish stage.)

Rats have already come through with flying colours. Remote-controlled electrodes implanted in their brains make them capable of searching through piles of rubble

The jury is still out on the research being funded on "brain machine interface," which would allow mechanical devices to be controlled via human thought-power. To date, a monkey has been taught to move a computer mouse and a tele-robotic arm simply by thinking about it.

It's a start. It may be the finish. But at an agency where the mantra is "high risk, high pay-off," a high failure rate is hardly a surprise. Some 85 to 90 per cent of projects don't accomplish their planned goals.

"When we fail, we fail big," wrote Charles Herzfeld, director in the mid-1960s, in summing up research disasters in an official 1975 history. "You could do really any damn thing you wanted, as long as it wasn't against the law or immoral."

On the one hand, that led to the Internet. On the other, to several fiascos, including the now-infamous mechanical elephant, part of the decade-long Project Agile during the Vietnam War. The idea was for the early-robot Babar to penetrate through the Vietnam jungle when jeeps couldn't. But when the then-director found out about the work, he shut it down, calling it a "damn fool" idea that would destroy the agency's credibility if word got out.

Hearing in the 1970s that the Soviets were beavering away on telepathy and psychokinesis (moving objects by mental force), DARPA swiftly followed suit, searching for the magical someone who could psychically spy around the globe without leaving home. It was a bust. Several million dollars later, the agency concluded that, if parapsychology even existed, it couldn't be tapped into on demand.

More recent debacles - but from a public-relations, if not research, standpoint - have occurred in the spate of anti-terrorism projects ignited by the 9/11 attacks. In 2002, DARPA-funded biologists built an infectious polio virus from its chemical components. The virus wasn't created as a weapon, but it prompted fears that it, or even more hazardous viruses, could be.

Its "Total Information Awareness" project, a data-mining technology aimed at detecting suspected terrorists through credit card and computer use, sparked furious outrage from privacy and civil rights advocates. "It was cancelled," says Noah Shachtman, "but sections of it are probably still going on in surveillance circles."

He says a giant surveillance blimp that would float 28,000 metres in the sky and look down on a city is still in development. "Some of the stuff can be Orwellian, but the agency really is interested in dual-use technology that benefits the military and the public, like the Internet."

And so it continues. Insects, rats, even geckos sacrificing themselves for the cause of unfettered, visionary research. Plants too Their ability to bend and wave in a breeze is being studied for adaptation into aircraft.

Incredibly, however, DARPA has been knocked lately for being too practical. "Some people think they're not blue-sky enough," says Shachtman. He pauses, and adds "I don't agree."

What about Henry's comment about God not being able to see the island?
Based on this comment, and some of the books.....I'm starting to think they're in another dimension.Perhaps a pocket dimension that if it collapses they'll all die. They have to hit the button, otherwise the magnet powers down and the dimension starts to collapse.

They have a limited ability to influence events in our dimension, and the pocket dimension isn't time specific, i.e. the others can influence any point in history and have drawn the survivors together. In some of their initial experimentations they pulled the Black Rock and Rousseau through, etc. They have fined tuned it enough now that they pulled through what they really wanted.....the lost plane.

The cloud monster is an entity from the other dimension.....the others are somehow using the children to communicate with it. The others aren't innocent/good/pure of heart enough for the monster to understand them.

Other entities are communicating with the survivors through the whispers/visions etc, some of it may also be "spill over" from our dimension.....not all of them are "good". The disease is if you listen to the entities too much and essentially lose your mind, what almost happened to Hurley.

Most of the survivors aren't really effected by the disease because there are enough real people together to distract them from the entities' influence. If you're alone you are much more susceptible. Rousseau's party was probably too small to overcome the influence of the entities and they fell victim to the disease.

Yes, probably way off here.....but it's another theory.

:popcorn:

What about Henry's comment about God not being able to see the island?
Based on this comment, and some of the books.....I'm starting to think they're in another dimension.Perhaps a pocket dimension that if it collapses they'll all die. They have to hit the button, otherwise the magnet powers down and the dimension starts to collapse.

They have a limited ability to influence events in our dimension, and the pocket dimension isn't time specific, i.e. the others can influence any point in history and have drawn the survivors together. In some of their initial experimentations they pulled the Black Rock and Rousseau through, etc. They have fined tuned it enough now that they pulled through what they really wanted.....the lost plane.

The cloud monster is an entity from the other dimension.....the others are somehow using the children to communicate with it. The others aren't innocent/good/pure of heart enough for the monster to understand them.

Other entities are communicating with the survivors through the whispers/visions etc, some of it may also be "spill over" from our dimension.....not all of them are "good". The disease is if you listen to the entities too much and essentially lose your mind, what almost happened to Hurley.

Most of the survivors aren't really effected by the disease because there are enough real people together to distract them from the entities' influence. If you're alone you are much more susceptible. Rousseau's party was probably too small to overcome the influence of the entities and they fell victim to the disease.

Yes, probably way off here.....but it's another theory.

:popcorn:
Not too bad.

Wasn't there a scene in Fight Club where something like this happened?
The first rule of Fight Club is....On a more relevent subject, I think Libby may have been *pretending* to be a patient in the ward to observe the actual patients. It's equally likely as the alternative, and makes as much sense as her actually being crazy. She wants to hide it from Hurley so she can help him with his issues without being perceived as a spy. They already have a couple crazy people. Adding Libby to that group doesn't give them as many options.

Like Mahoney, I think Hurley's story about what happened in his accident may not be entirely accurate.

I didn't seen the "evil look" that Libby had after she walked him down from the ledge. Could that also be a look of concern/frustration? Pics?

To get some closure on whether or not Henry pushed the button.... why would he lie?

If he were lying, that would indicate that he did indeed press the buttons but did not want the Losties, and Locke specifically, to know that he did. Why would he make this lie? I can't think of many good reasons....

1) Theory #1Because not pushing the button causes something catastrophic to happen, Henry was too close to escape the ramifications, thus he had to push the button. Hopefully he can get away far enough so that he won't be caught up in the ensuing chaos when John chooses not to push it and destroys himself and the hatch, protecting whatever secrets the Hatch contains... I'm not buying this because there are too many "ifs". Maybe Henry is willing to die for the cause, but I'm not thinking that this is the right angle, even though it provides the best rationale I can think of for him to lie.

2) Just to mess with them. More impish than purposefully devious. I'd really like my bad guys to have some sort of direction here. Bad guys without a purpose pretty much ruin a good show, so I'm not thinking this is correct either.

3) I can't think of any other reason. Anyone?

Logically, I just can't come to the conclusion that Henry pushed the button and then lied about it. I don't see any motivation for this type of behavio(u)r. Maybe I'm missing something. So I believe he did not push the button. I still belive that he intentionally did not push the button to see what happened and that was his goal in getting caught, but I may be wrong (seems that nobody has agreed or backed up that theory).

Military history is filled with decimated armies who thought "we have X times as many troops, there's no way we can lose".

Military history is filled with decimated armies who thought "we have X times as many troops, there's no way we can lose".
It's also filled with guys like Custer who thought "So what if there are more of them? We're better prepared."

You guys are both taking what the Others have done and said at face value, and Im not sure that's safe to do. The fake beard tells me that they are making a concerted effort to appear to the survivors in a certain way, maybe to hide what they really are and what they're really doing.I dont think the Others want any kind of war with the survivors; they only want[ed] the children. All attacks on the survivors were somehow connected to the Other's abduction of a child or some children.

Users who are viewing this thread