What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (1 Viewer)

"For confession to mean something you must have a penitent heart" = Eko's brother the Priest

I am taking this and the black smoke to mean that Eko has confessed his sins and now has a penitent heart.  Not speaking for 40 days after killing 2 Others has to have some kind of penitence to it as well.
Eko is not a "bad guy" anymore. I think that he always thought of himself as a good person, i.e. not shooting the boy after slicing the two guys, but that he would be dead and possibly his brother if he didn't continue as a warlord type guy. I think when his brother was shot he really changed to a good person.That is why he answered yes to the question of whether or not he was a priest.After he killed the 2 others, he did stop talking for 40 days because he considered himself a priest and even though he did it in self-defense he did it as you said to serve his penitence.
Eko is the yang to Locke's yin. Locke is the Good half (yin), which contains a touch of Evil within it; Eko is the Evil half (yang), which contains a bit of Good.And if my earlier theory pans out (about Locke representing Gilgamesh, and Eko representing his enemy/friend Enkidu), then Eko, alas, will eventually be killed...but not before he and Locke together defeat (or at least face) a common enemy. This has already begun to happen, with the two of them facing down the smoke monster.
I kind of agree, but I thought Endiku and Giglamesh fought each other first.
They did. On Lost, everyone will eventually fight with everyone else at least once. I'm popping corn in advance of the Kate/Sun grudge match.

They did. On Lost, everyone will eventually fight with everyone else at least once. I'm popping corn in advance of the Kate/Sun grudge match.
Heh. It's a shame we'll never see a Kate/Shannon mud wrestling contest.

"For confession to mean something you must have a penitent heart" = Eko's brother the Priest

I am taking this and the black smoke to mean that Eko has confessed his sins and now has a penitent heart.  Not speaking for 40 days after killing 2 Others has to have some kind of penitence to it as well.
Eko is not a "bad guy" anymore. I think that he always thought of himself as a good person, i.e. not shooting the boy after slicing the two guys, but that he would be dead and possibly his brother if he didn't continue as a warlord type guy. I think when his brother was shot he really changed to a good person.That is why he answered yes to the question of whether or not he was a priest.After he killed the 2 others, he did stop talking for 40 days because he considered himself a priest and even though he did it in self-defense he did it as you said to serve his penitence.
Eko is the yang to Locke's yin. Locke is the Good half (yin), which contains a touch of Evil within it; Eko is the Evil half (yang), which contains a bit of Good.And if my earlier theory pans out (about Locke representing Gilgamesh, and Eko representing his enemy/friend Enkidu), then Eko, alas, will eventually be killed...but not before he and Locke together defeat (or at least face) a common enemy. This has already begun to happen, with the two of them facing down the smoke monster.
I kind of agree, but I thought Endiku and Giglamesh fought each other first.
They did.
This, from Wikipedia:
Enkidu acts as a foil to Gilgamesh in the beginning of the story, and as a sidekick in the remainder. (The author expressly states to the reader that the main character of the epic is Gilgamesh rather than Enkidu.) Enkidu also acts as a form of balance and dialogue opportunity for Gilgamesh.

Enkidu's status as a beloved companion makes his death serve as a sufficient motive for Gilgamesh to pursue an apparently impossible quest [a search for Eternal Life] in the remainder of the story.

I think that is possible, but personally I am not so sure that Locke and Eko are ying-yang to each other yet. I think both of them, at this point in their lives, are good people. I think both of them have their own thought faiths, but I don't know if they will battle. I guess I haven't bought into the pure black and white thing that there is one good side and one bad side.Also, do you think that they were facing down the monster? When Locke saw it, he was just still and seemed to smile. He said it was beautiful. I think the smoke monster somehow sees the intentions of people. I think it leaves good people alone or least people with strong beliefs/faith. The Others are not in league with the smoke monster, which may be why they grabbed "good" people to maybe keep the smoke monster away?

Oh well, I already can't wait until the next one. At least with 24 starting this weekend, I will have both for a while. The preview for next week looked so good that I don't want to wait a whole week.

Maybe because he wasn't really a priest and didn't know those verses very well?
Charlie screwed it up as well.
I agree, I don't think it means anything more than they didn't get it exactly right. Charlie hasn't been a church going guy for a while and Eko wasn't religious at all until a couple years ago when his brother died. He may have taken over his brother's position, but he probably isn't an ordained priest like his brother was.

Maybe because he wasn't really a priest and didn't know those verses very well?
Charlie screwed it up as well.
I agree, I don't think it means anything more than they didn't get it exactly right. Charlie hasn't been a church going guy for a while and Eko wasn't religious at all until a couple years ago when his brother died. He may have taken over his brother's position, but he probably isn't an ordained priest like his brother was.
I think they messed it up because if they said it word for word they would have to pay the owner of the work it came from. They did not want to plagarize it.

agree that they are yin yang. was represented well in the exchange where locke asks eko what are the chances that he crash on the otherside of the island and find the other half of the film and then bring it back to his side. eko replies dont mistake coincidence for fate.

Does anyone know of any good screen-caps of Rousseau's maps of the island? Or maybe some fan's map [like they did with Desmond's bunker]?

The screen-caps on Lost-Media aren't that great.
I found this set of maps. It doesnt look like there is any spoiler information, but I dont know anything about the site.
Could this be the"shadow of the valley" Eko & Charlie spoke of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious about the smoke figure. Last year, when it grabbed Locke there was a mechanical sound like a roller coaster - last night nuthin.Plus what is with the ground explosions? Is this thing in the ground?I think anyone looking for a "logical answer" to everything like the writers promised have a better chance of getting mugged by the Easter bunny.

Curious about the smoke figure. Last year, when it grabbed Locke there was a mechanical sound like a roller coaster - last night nuthin.

Plus what is with the ground explosions? Is this thing in the ground?

I think anyone looking for a "logical answer" to everything like the writers promised have a better chance of getting mugged by the Easter bunny.
A few comments/my answers:1. I hope you didn't have the volume too low, because although it didn't sound like a roller coaster (or a chain pulling something) with Locke it definitely made mechanical sounds. It sure didn't sound like it looked, hence the whole nanobot theory. Maybe enough tiny machines would make a loud sound when they are together. Also, it wasn't pulling Eko, thus the formation of the cloud (machine?) had no reason to sound like it was pulling something.

2. I think it does travel underground sometimes and what seemed like an above ground tree shaking monster early in season 1 does actually travel underground at times and pops-up thus violently uprooting trees. Remember that it was trying to pull Locke down a hole. Maybe the cload/machine is able to dig fast and thus is almost diving into the ground knocking over trees.

3. Logical answers may still be there. You may have to suspend belief a bit, but if you didn't have a problem with the psychic telling Claire to get on the plane because he saw something, then nanotechnology is less of a stretch to me. Nanotech is at least something you know that companies are working on now and thus plausible in a TV show that a company/government has done more with it than we know. Not sure about mind reading nanotech, but oh well, I am still OK with it knowing the "psychic" stuff we have let go so far.

I hope Clint Eastwoods Pale Rider priest shows up. That would be way cool. He handled a stick pretty well to. :popcorn:

Why did Eko need his brother to sign the ordination documents? It would have been much easier to forge his signature.

Why did Eko need his brother to sign the ordination documents? It would have been much easier to forge his signature.
Wondered about that myself. Omly thing I could come up with is that they may call his brother and they needed him to be in on it to cover for them.

Curious about the smoke figure. Last year, when it grabbed Locke there was a mechanical sound like a roller coaster - last night nuthin.

Plus what is with the ground explosions? Is this thing in the ground?

I think anyone looking for a "logical answer" to everything like the writers promised have a better chance of getting mugged by the Easter bunny.
Maybe it's part of the flashback. Maybe that is how Lock was paralyzed?

Theory that I am just making up but you may not want to read it because it could be a spoiler:I think that the car crash that Shannon's father died in was the crash the paralyzed Locke.

I bet we're going to find that Eko did something very, VERY bad back in the real world. Seems like he is paying one whale of a penance for something. He's obsessed with doing the right thing but to me it seems like it is more based in guilt and shame than it is because of purely altruistic reasons.
Damn :goodposting: Sorry, I'll try to put my shoulder back in the socket now.

Theory that I am just making up but you may not want to read it because it could be a spoiler:

I think that the car crash that Shannon's father died in was the crash the paralyzed Locke.
Maybe you missed the episode, but Shannon's father died when he crashed into Jack's wife. Since we know both parties in the accident, I don't see how Locke could be involved.

Smoke Monster Thoughts:Man, that thing just reminds me of Prey. If you haven't read Prey, its basically about nanobots... and the nanobots can form up into pictures easily, kinda like they did when they were showing Eko his past. I know that the writers/producers have said previously that there are no nanobots on the show, I just don't see another way to explain what that thing is.Also, if it is nanobots, I think that the Swan station's giant electromagnet is most definitely tied to them. Maybe the whole 108 minutes thing powers up a large electro-magnetic burst that pulls all the nanobots back to the top of the Swan station... it does it every 108 minutes to prevent it from getting off the island and wreaking havoc on the rest of the world. This is assuming that the nanobots have some sort of hive intelligence and that they went rogue from whatever project created them. Maybe 108 minutes is the time it would take them to get out of the super magnet's range of effect? Who knows. I know this probably isn't exactly right, because all the Lostie's watchs don't go crazy every 108 minutes, but I tell you that timer and that monster are connected. I feel strongly that the timer prevents the monster from escaping the island. Maybe it sends an electromagnetic signal to the nano-monster that prevents it from leaving?I'm just starting to brain storm on it, but maybe this nano-monster is also tied to the Others as well? Maybe the nanobots have found a way to infect humans and somehow control them? Apparently these nanobots can read minds, so why not control minds? Maybe the whole project went haywire when the nanobots went rogue, and people were left behind from some of the other projects?Regardless of all my speculation, I think the monster is going to be very central to the story of what happened on this island to make things the way they are.

I suspect the writers and producers of Lost have created many of these plot twists (the 108 minutes, the mysterious numbers, etc.) without having a clear idea as to what they mean, or how they'll be resolved. It must be fun for them. They've written a hugely successful show, and now they get to figure out what to do with all the loose ends.

I'm currently reading The Lost Chronicles, a book about both the on-camera and off-camera drama surrounding the show's first season. I'm about a third of the way through, but it's clear that they're making most of it up as they go along. It's much more interesting than I would have assumed at first. A DVD is included with the book, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Smoke Monster Thoughts:

Man, that thing just reminds me of Prey. If you haven't read Prey, its basically about nanobots... and the nanobots can form up into pictures easily, kinda like they did when they were showing Eko his past. I know that the writers/producers have said previously that there are no nanobots on the show, I just don't see another way to explain what that thing is.
Hmmm, so a non-existant, sci-fi creation is the only possible explanation? How about a telepathic creature (able to read minds and project a disguised image of itself as smoke) that needs to feed on a specific hydrocarbon every 108 minutes or it will die? Entering the codes releases a pre-set amount of that hydrocarbon into the air, thus making sure that Dharma's one-of-a-kind creation doesn't tragically disappear before they figure out how to make millions of dollars off of it. Works about as well.

I'm not sure which element of the last episode was more rewarding: Eko's flashback sequences, the actor's performance in the role, or the long-awaited unveiling of the smoke monster. Whatever, this episode raised the bar for the rest of the show's run.

Smoke Monster Thoughts:

Man, that thing just reminds me of Prey.  If you haven't read Prey, its basically about nanobots... and the nanobots can form up into pictures easily, kinda like they did when they were showing Eko his past.  I know that the writers/producers have said previously that there are no nanobots on the show, I just don't see another way to explain what that thing is.
Hmmm, so a non-existant, sci-fi creation is the only possible explanation? How about a telepathic creature (able to read minds and project a disguised image of itself as smoke) that needs to feed on a specific hydrocarbon every 108 minutes or it will die? Entering the codes releases a pre-set amount of that hydrocarbon into the air, thus making sure that Dharma's one-of-a-kind creation doesn't tragically disappear before they figure out how to make millions of dollars off of it. Works about as well.
Hey, speculation is speculation. I like my explanation better, but to each their own.I do feel solidly now though that the 108 minutes thing is tied to the monster. And that the monster is tied somehow to the others.

Smoke Monster Thoughts:

Man, that thing just reminds me of Prey.  If you haven't read Prey, its basically about nanobots... and the nanobots can form up into pictures easily, kinda like they did when they were showing Eko his past.  I know that the writers/producers have said previously that there are no nanobots on the show, I just don't see another way to explain what that thing is.
Hey, speculation is speculation. I like my explanation better, but to each their own.I do feel solidly now though that the 108 minutes thing is tied to the monster. And that the monster is tied somehow to the others.
I agree with you. Based on the mechanical sounds, the ability to grab Locke and pull him down a hole make me think about the nano-bot/advanced technology.On the other hand, I actually think that the monster is not connected to the Others, I almost think that they might be at odds. I think that the fact that it scanned Eko and left him alone and the comment from Goodwin about wanting good people made me think that if Goodwin were in front of the monster, it would have killed him. If the monster were controlled in any way by the Others, they could have used it to grab Walt/Aaron and kill Locke and Eko.

Not sure if I like Charlie or not but his " I find it ironic that your scripture stick has dried blood on it" line to Eko was pretty funny.You have to wonder about him though. I mean you would think that he would have learned not to leave the shire by now. :D

It would be pretty cool if a future episode has the castaways missing one of the 108-minute deadlines, and the nanosmokebotmonster goes on a killing rampage. :excited: :eek: :shock:

Not sure if I like Charlie or not but his " I find it ironic that your scripture stick has dried blood on it" line to Eko was pretty funny.

You have to wonder about him though. I mean you would think that he would have learned not to leave the shire by now. :D
He called it his "Jesus stick" and it was funny.

I am beginning to think that the creators of the show envisioned this island to be a sort of purgatory/ proving ground where the people in the plane crash were dead and trying to reach the afterlife. I think that when most internet geeks hypothesized this by the second or third show they quickly had to throw that away as to not give away the whole point of the show. Now they are throwing #### against the wall and seeing if something will stick.

Smoke Monster Thoughts:

I agree with you. Based on the mechanical sounds, the ability to grab Locke and pull him down a hole make me think about the nano-bot/advanced technology.On the other hand, I actually think that the monster is not connected to the Others, I almost think that they might be at odds. I think that the fact that it scanned Eko and left him alone and the comment from Goodwin about wanting good people made me think that if Goodwin were in front of the monster, it would have killed him. If the monster were controlled in any way by the Others, they could have used it to grab Walt/Aaron and kill Locke and Eko.
If the monster is a bunch of nanomachines similar to Prey, its entirely possible that the machines branched off into two distinct groups. One group is the smoke monster, and one group that somehow infects the Others. Remember the whole "sickness" thing brought about by Russo, and then reiterated with the quarentine stamps and by what the hatch dude said, "How many of you are sick?". I was thinking the illness could be related to the monster. Again, total speculation, but this is my suspicion.

Dont know if it had been mentioned but there have been 2 people to stare down the black fog.Eko and Locke have both stared it down and presumably been scanned. Locke in the first season in one episode was seen staring up into the camera and then it went to commercial. After the show came back Locke was seen walking into camp I believe. It was later, dont know if it was same show, that Locke was grabbed. I am thinking the Locke being grabbed monster and the stare down monster are two different ones if the grabbing one is even a monster.

Dont know if it had been mentioned but there have been 2 people to stare down the black fog.

Eko and Locke have both stared it down and presumably been scanned.  Locke in the first season in one episode was seen staring up into the camera and then it went to commercial.  After the show came back Locke was seen walking into camp I believe.  It was later, dont know if it was same show, that Locke was grabbed.  I am thinking the Locke being grabbed monster and the stare down monster are two different ones if the grabbing one is even a monster.
I mentioned yesterday, only a page back:
Eko is the yang to Locke's yin. Locke is the Good half (yin), which contains a touch of Evil within it; Eko is the Evil half (yang), which contains a bit of Good.

And if my earlier theory pans out (about Locke representing Gilgamesh, and Eko representing his enemy/friend Enkidu), then Eko, alas, will eventually be killed...but not before he and Locke together defeat (or at least face) a common enemy. This has already begun to happen, with the two of them facing down the smoke monster.
I might have been wrong about Locke being the "good" half of the yin-yang, and Ecko being the "bad" half. Could be reversed...

Whats the over/under for this thread?

150?

(I'd still take the over)
I'd take the Over, even if you'd said "200". This isn't going away any time soon, and the thread isn't season-specific. The only threat to 200 pages is if someone starts a separate Season Three thread.Edit: 106, baby! :thumbup:

If you search around that site some more you come across This pic is that the dharma logo on the crashed plane?
From episode 3...watched it on the DVDs yesterday...crazy stuff...more along the lines of the thought that they were all brought there/selected for a reason.

Not sure if I like Charlie or not
Not that it hasn't been done before, but it isn't done very often on network TV -- they're exposing all of these charactors, good and bad sides of each, to let the viewer decide who s/he likes and doesn't. It's a much better approach than the "OK, here's the good guy, here's the bad guy....now here's the story...."

Smoke Monster Thoughts:

If the monster is a bunch of nanomachines similar to Prey, its entirely possible that the machines branched off into two distinct groups. One group is the smoke monster, and one group that somehow infects the Others. Remember the whole "sickness" thing brought about by Russo, and then reiterated with the quarentine stamps and by what the hatch dude said, "How many of you are sick?". I was thinking the illness could be related to the monster. Again, total speculation, but this is my suspicion.
How about this? What if the smoke monster doesn't cause the sickness, but somehow can scan people for it. Russo said it was a security system. What if it is the thing patrolling the island for people that are "sick"? Maybe that is why the Others grab "good" people.That is just a thought to comes to my mind, but I really don't think the monster is on the bad/sick side. First off, Locke hasn't gotten sick and second, it hasn't just been killing people left and right.

That is just a thought to comes to my mind, but I really don't think the monster is on the bad/sick side. First off, Locke hasn't gotten sick and second, it hasn't just been killing people left and right.
Am I off base in thinking that Mike "is sick" now as he could be seeing things and thus acting irrationally? Similar to Shannon seeing Walt when there was no possible way he would be in the tent. Later Sayid saw him but Sayid could be sick as well in this sense. Now, Sayid may not be healed but he may be the next to die. Was Boone "sick?" Shannon saw things and died. Kate saw a horse but then so did Sawyer. Who all saw a polar bear? Seeing things = being sick????

That is just a thought to comes to my mind, but I really don't think the monster is on the bad/sick side. First off, Locke hasn't gotten sick and second, it hasn't just been killing people left and right.
Am I off base in thinking that Mike "is sick" now as he could be seeing things and thus acting irrationally? Similar to Shannon seeing Walt when there was no possible way he would be in the tent. Later Sayid saw him but Sayid could be sick as well in this sense. Now, Sayid may not be healed but he may be the next to die. Was Boone "sick?" Shannon saw things and died. Kate saw a horse but then so did Sawyer. Who all saw a polar bear? Seeing things = being sick????
While I agree that Mike would be the one I would consider looking the closest to "being sick", I think he is mainly acting that way due to losing Walt. On the other hand, based on the fact that the communication on the computer wasn't there when Jack walked behind him, I am definitely willing to think that Michael is seeing things.As for the other folks, they all seem to be doing fine and I think the visions of Walt, the horse and Jack's dad aren't the same as Russo's sickness. To be honest, we don't really even know if the sickness existed. For all we know Russo, as evidenced by kidnapping Aaron, could be completely loony and her stories may be a little untrue.

I am beginning to think that the creators of the show envisioned this island to be a sort of purgatory/ proving ground where the people in the plane crash were dead and trying to reach the afterlife. I think that when most internet geeks hypothesized this by the second or third show they quickly had to throw that away as to not give away the whole point of the show. Now they are throwing #### against the wall and seeing if something will stick.
This is my fear as well. Has anyone else read "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien, which was supposed to be so important to the plot? I don't want to give too much away about the book, but the purgatory/hell idea would fit very well.

I am beginning to think that the creators of the show envisioned this island to be a sort of purgatory/ proving ground where the people in the plane crash were dead and trying to reach the afterlife.  I think that when most internet geeks hypothesized this by the second or third show they quickly had to throw that away as to not give away the whole point of the show.  Now they are throwing #### against the wall and seeing if something will stick.
This is my fear as well. Has anyone else read "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien, which was supposed to be so important to the plot? I don't want to give too much away about the book, but the purgatory/hell idea would fit very well.
Certainly seems like it's the point of the show. Still wouldn't shock me to see it's the central theme.Shannon found somebody to love her, and that she could love -- she moved on.

Boone resolved his issues -- he was able to move on.

DAMN!!! Just found this thread and wished I had months ago. The ideas you guys are putting out are awesome. I'm on board! Gotta be the best 'Lost' thread out there. We really are multi-faceted geeks aren't we?BTW, what's with the scripts that are 'white out'? Does somebody w/knowledge of the writing of the story oversee? Who does this?

DAMN!!! Just found this thread and wished I had months ago. The ideas you guys are putting out are awesome. I'm on board! Gotta be the best 'Lost' thread out there. We really are multi-faceted geeks aren't we?

BTW, what's with the scripts that are 'white out'? Does somebody w/knowledge of the writing of the story oversee? Who does this?
Just self-imposed courtesy so that those who don't want to see spoilers won't see them while those who want to read them can (use your mouse to highlight the "whiteouts" and they appear).

DAMN!!!  Just found this thread and wished I had months ago.  The ideas you guys are putting out are awesome.  I'm on board!  Gotta be the best 'Lost' thread out there.  We really are multi-faceted geeks aren't we?

BTW, what's with the scripts that are 'white out'?  Does somebody w/knowledge of the writing of the story oversee?  Who does this?
Just self-imposed courtesy so that those who don't want to see spoilers won't see them while those who want to read them can (use your mouse to highlight the "whiteouts" and they appear).
is this code button how?

Users who are viewing this thread