What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duce Staley's knees (1 Viewer)

As much as I hate the guy, Bettis is once again undervalued going into this year. Every year, its the same story. Too old and too slow. But the dude can still plod out 100+ games and punch it in the end zone a few times.If Staley is out, the Ageless Blob will represent real good value with an ADP of 9.06.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a Fast Willie fan since early last year - Went way out on the limb one week calling him our sleeper of the week. He's raw but very talented.Be somewhat careful though on the Buffalo game as one run was for 58 yards.2 5:15 13 - 7 2nd-and-9 opp 17 rushed for 4 yards 2 2:09 16 - 7 1st-and-10 own 20 rushed for -2 yards 2 1:59 16 - 7 2nd-and-12 own 18 rushed for -1 yards 2 1:55 16 - 7 3rd-and-13 own 17 caught pass for 5 yards 3 13:15 16 - 10 1st-and-10 own 20 rushed for 2 yards 3 12:19 16 - 17 2nd-and-10 own 20 caught pass for -1 yards 3 11:22 16 - 17 1st-and-10 opp 47 rushed for 5 yards 3 10:46 16 - 17 2nd-and-5 opp 42 rushed for 1 yards 3 1:48 16 - 17 1st-and-10 own 20 rushed for 58 yards (first down) 3 1:00 16 - 17 1st-and-10 opp 22 rushed for 1 yards 4 11:15 26 - 17 1st-and-10 own 39 rushed for 5 yards 4 10:09 26 - 17 2nd-and-10 own 39 rushed for 9 yards 4 9:26 26 - 17 3rd-and-1 own 48 rushed for 6 yards (first down) 4 8:42 26 - 17 1st-and-10 opp 46 rushed for 4 yards 4 7:57 26 - 17 2nd-and-6 opp 42 rushed for 0 yards 4 5:22 26 - 17 1st-and-10 opp 35 rushed for 1 yards 4 4:52 26 - 17 1st-and-10 opp 19 rushed for 9 yards 4 4:07 26 - 17 2nd-and-1 opp 10 rushed for 6 yards (first down) 4 3:18 26 - 17 1st-and-9 opp 9 rushed for -6 yards 4 2:37 26 - 17 2nd-and-15 opp 15 rushed for 2 yards 4 2:30 26 - 17 3rd-and-13 opp 13 rushed for -2 yards Still though, I love the kid as a deep sleeper.J

I'm liking Fast Willie as well. If Duce is out for an extended period of time, could easily see him getting 5-10 carries/game

damn, the eagles got rid of that dude at the right moment
This is NOTHING new.How'd Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent look the year after they left the Eagles?

Former Eagles players are CURSED, why aren't teams getting this? Andy Reid & co are DEAD on with their evaluations of their players.

NFL GMs/coaches take note. If Andy Reid lets a guy go, DON'T EVEN WASTE TIME CONSIDERING HIM.
:mellow: Staley showed tremendous power and burst when he played last year. The fact that he is injured... again is not suprising. The Eagles will fall apart at somepoint especially with the mess that no one wants to acknowledge right now because they have been oh so successful. Staley is a good fit for Pitt when healthy and at the begining of last year it looked as if the Eagles made a mistake.
I find it more than coincidence that when a high profile player leaves the Eagles, they vastly underperform and/or get hurt for a significant time the next year. It's downright eerie. It's like the Denver RBs in some reverse way.Reid & co have a good eye for when a guy is used up, and they cut bait at the right time.

And yes, the Eagles will fall apart at sometime, all teams do. They haven't lost their QB or coaching staff yet, which is usually the sign a dynastic team is on the decline.

I know a Bettis/George backfield would have to be the slowest in the league, but am I the only one who thinks that would be kinda cool?

It's official: surgery.
Hi mne,I'm hearing this too but unnofficially. You have a link yet? Thanks.

J
KFFL
Steelers | Staley Undergoing Knee Surgery

Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:43:05 -0700

ESPNews reports Pittsburgh Steelers RB Duce Staley (knee) will have arthroscopic knee surgery. There is no time table on his return to action.

It's official: surgery.
Hi mne,I'm hearing this too but unnofficially. You have a link yet? Thanks.

J
Steelers Staley to have surgery on right knee Monday, August 08, 2005

Link

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers running back Duce Staley will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to determine what, if any, damage there might be. An MRI test yesterday was inconclusive.

Staley has missed practices since Wednesday, when fluid on his knee was drained. He tried to practice Saturday, but Coach Bill Cowher said Staley told him the knee was uncomfortable.

Jerome Bettis assumes the role of number one halfback, as he did when Staley missed most of the last half of the 2004 season with a hamstring injury

Staley needs knee surgery; out indefinitely

By: Mike Bires - Times Sports Staff

08/08/2005

Steelers running back Duce Staley will need arthroscopic surgery to repair damage in his right knee and will be out of action indefinitely. There was no word from Steelers officials on whether Staley would miss the Sept. 11 opener against the Tennessee Titans.

Staley missed practice Monday morning to undergo a MRI procedure which reportedly determined that he needs surgery.

Staley, who missed six games last year with hamstring pulls, hasn't practiced since Tuesday due to inflammation of the knee. However, at least twice during the week Cowher said: "Duce is fine. We expect him back tomorrow."

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=478568&rfi=6
My pick of Bettis in MBSL1 suddenly looks a lot better.This seriously sucks for the Steelers though - they would be much better of with Staley running between the 20s and Bettis getting the end zone looks.

Assuming they're just going into clean up a little, Duce should still be OK for the season (although the opener at this point definitely looks questionable). On the other hand there is a good chance that he'll come up with another malady between now and then.

Tyrone Wheatley is homeless at the moment. Eddie George.
You do not replace age with age. There are few good back up RBs out there that could prosper in Pitt.Ricky Williams

Lamar Gordan

Ron Dayne - I cannot believe I said that

Maurice Morris

Davenport

Rhodes

I am not saying that this would happen. If I were the GM, there are a few names that I would be looking at.

If Staley's knee is really bad, id be on the horn with denver asking them what round pick they want for mike anderson.

But Pittsburgh really likes ot build through the draft, so I find it hard to believe that they'd part with a pick b/c of Staley's knee.
Dont know where you came up with that, neither Staley nor Bettis were drafted by Pittsburgh.

every time you turn around the steelers regress a bit...might not be a bad idea to stay away. roth is a poster child for regression, no burress not a god, but very good, lost some line on the right, bettis will not last as a starter, duce is good but may not be until late, this one will take half a year to figure out...stay far away. i see them turning into crap or just a bit above.

every time you turn around the steelers regress a bit...might not be a bad idea to stay away. roth is a poster child for regression, no burress not a god, but very good, lost some line on the right, bettis will not last as a starter, duce is good but may not be until late, this one will take half a year to figure out...stay far away. i see them turning into crap or just a bit above.
I hope other teams in the NFL share your mindset.

What makes Roethlisberger a poster child for regression? Based off of NFL history, it seems as though great rookie QBs turn into even better second year QBs.

How often do pre-season trades happen in the NFL? Someone could get cut, but would anybody getting cut from another team be an improvement over what the Steelers already have on their roster? I'd say :no: .

looked like crap late last year, lost his favorite target, lost there best back for a short time, hines is holding out, lost 2 top linemen, tougher schedule, if you buy into that (i do).i like the steelers as much as anyone but i don't see any fantasy value here. parker may have a few good games haynes may also.struggle, struggle, struggle!

Haven't read this whole thread so sorry if already posted but.... Staley out a month, reported on 6 OClock clock news here in Pitt. Small meniscus tear. Just a FYI of what I've heard so please no shooting the messenger.Oh, Bettis interviewed and didn't look happy about having to carry the load for the period of time Staley was out.

looked like crap late last year, lost his favorite target, lost there best back for a short time, hines is holding out, lost 2 top linemen, tougher schedule, if you buy into that (i do).

i like the steelers as much as anyone but i don't see any fantasy value here. parker may have a few good games haynes may also.

struggle, struggle, struggle!
They were 15-1 last year. Ben was a rookie. High probability he'll be better this year. One of the 2 "top linemen" you mentioned entered last season as the backup to the one that is replacing him this year (that only lost his starting position because of injury) and they have a young early round draft pick that is ready to step into the other position. Hines will be here once the season starts, he really has no choice. The RB situation is a mess from a fantasy perspective, but they have 4 RBs capable of sharing the load, no real worries there. He also now has a legitimate target at TE. I don't expect Ben to be a top 5 QB or anything, but I think he'll be better than what most people are projecting. And ARE showed last year when he was given the chance that he was a capable replacement for Plax.

Haven't read this whole thread so sorry if already posted but.... Staley out a month, reported on 6 OClock clock news here in Pitt. Small meniscus tear. Just a FYI of what I've heard so please no shooting the messenger.

Oh, Bettis interviewed and didn't look happy about having to carry the load for the period of time Staley was out.
I get the feeling that Jerome was looking forward to being the goal line guy this year. I think Haynes and Parker are going to see a LOT more touches than they did last year.

Seen this from this guy Bongo over at another message board. He'd pretty choppy but good info if you can decifer it. I guess he has connections with some organizations. Take it for what its worth.Staley had the MRI yesterday and they found a tear and a meniscus.........same injury TY had........he wont be ready for week one..........huge break.........that means Bettis has to run into AL and Starks because h no longer can get to the edge............and if he did 53 would eat him alive..........Bettis has never had 100 on us so i think the Pitt game is looking alot more favorable............it will come down to Mac vs Ben........and mac usually plays lights out againt the Steelers.............tough game but it is looking better and better as it approaches..............I hope Hines holds out then we really will have a huge advantagenow if you boys will remember roy williams horsecollar tackle of calico last year in the preseason cost him the the actual season...he had surgery to repair his medial meniscus and a frayed acl....buyer beware of staley...i wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole...if this is reported true he may be finished long term for the seasonjust a heads up

Link: AP

Steelers' Staley Undergoes Knee Surgery

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -- Steelers running back Duce Staley underwent surgery Monday to repair a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee.

Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher expects him to miss a month, but isn't worried about Staley's health in the long run.

"He felt good about what took place when he came out," Cowher said. "We're hopeful to have him by the opening of the season."

Staley practiced only once with the team before fluid built up in his knee. He rested three days and tried to practice Saturday, but didn't feel comfortable and decided to have it examined. An MRI exam Sunday revealed the tear.

The injury thrusts Jerome Bettis back into the role of starter. He thrived in that position last year after Staley injured his hamstring Oct. 31 against New England.

Bettis rushed for more than 100 yards in six of the eight games he started and finished the season with 941 yards on 250 carries. He ranks fifth on the all-time rushing list with 13,294 yards and third in carries with 3,369.

"I'm ready to go to work," Bettis said. "That's what I do. I didn't come back to be able to carry it 50 times. My goal was to come back, and if I was going to come back, to be able to go if they needed me, and right now it looks as though they need me."

The 33-year-old Bettis admits to feeling his age.

"Now I've got to get rest, get to bed, get iced. I've got to do all those things, a lot of preventive things I never used to do," he said. "It's so funny because I used to see all the older guys get the ice after practice, and do this, and stretch all the time. I'd just fly into the training room, grab a toothpick or something and, boom, I'm gone."

Bettis will likely give way to younger runners Verron Haynes, Willie Parker and rookie seventh-round pick Noah Herron throughout most of the preseason.

Cowher wouldn't reveal his plans for a backfield rotation, but Haynes said he believes the solution's simple.

"You stick to what got us to where we needed to be last year," he said. "Jerome was the guy and I came in on third downs and when he needed a breather. I don't see that changing."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Link: Staley out Indefinitely

Staley needs knee surgery; out indefinitely

By: Mike Bires - Times Sports Staff

08/08/2005

Steelers running back Duce Staley will need arthroscopic surgery to repair damage in his right knee and will be out of action indefinitely. There was no word from Steelers officials on whether Staley would miss the Sept. 11 opener against the Tennessee Titans.

Staley missed practice Monday morning to undergo a MRI procedure which reportedly determined that he needs surgery.

Staley, who missed six games last year with hamstring pulls, hasn't practiced since Tuesday due to inflammation of the knee. However, at least twice during the week Cowher said: "Duce is fine. We expect him back tomorrow."

-------------------------------------------

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05220/550592.stm

Steelers Staley out for a month

Monday, August 08, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An arthroscopic surgical procedure has revealed a torn meniscus in the right knee of Steelers running back Duce Staley.

He is expected to be out a month while recovering from the procedure to correct the problem.

An MRI test yesterday was inconclusive.

Staley has missed practices since Wednesday, when fluid on his knee was drained. He tried to practice Saturday, but Coach Bill Cowher said Staley told him the knee was uncomfortable.

Jerome Bettis assumes the role of number one halfback, as he did when Staley missed most of the last half of the 2004 season with a hamstring injury.

indefinitely sounds like a long time to me... Get that Bus tuned up & ready to roll!

From the Steelers website

RUNNING BACK DUCE STALEY OUT FOR ONE MONTH AFTER SURGERY; STEELERS SIGN ROOKIE FREE AGENT CHAD SCOTT

Steelers’ running back Duce Staley will be out for the next four weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his knee today, the team announced.

“It was a lateral meniscus tear on his right knee,” head coach Bill Cowher said following Monday’s practice. “The prognosis right now is a month. We’re hopeful we will have him by the beginning of the season.”

The Steelers also have signed rookie free-agent running back Chad Scott to fill the team’s empty roster spot.

Scott (5-9, 200) was an undrafted free agent who originally signed with the Cleveland Browns before being released last week. He spent the past two years at North Carolina where he led the team in rushing his senior year, earning honorable mention All-ACC. Prior to North Carolina, Scott played his first seasons at Kentucky and was named third-team freshman All-America by The Sporting News.

Has Staley had knee problems in the past? There's only so much meniscus you can tear and have cleaned out before it's bone on bone in the knee....

Seen this from this guy Bongo over at another message board. He'd pretty choppy but good info if you can decifer it. I guess he has connections with some organizations. Take it for what its worth.

Staley had the MRI yesterday and they found a tear and a meniscus.........same injury TY had........he wont be ready for week one..........huge break.........that means Bettis has to run into AL and Starks because h no longer can get to the edge............and if he did 53 would eat him alive..........Bettis has never had 100 on us so i think the Pitt game is looking alot more favorable............it will come down to Mac vs Ben........and mac usually plays lights out againt the Steelers.............tough game but it is looking better and better as it approaches..............I hope Hines holds out then we really will have a huge advantage
bold = :confused:

Seen this from this guy Bongo over at another message board. He'd pretty choppy but good info if you can decifer it. I guess he has connections with some organizations. Take it for what its worth.

Staley had the MRI yesterday and they found a tear and a meniscus.........same injury TY had........he wont be ready for week one..........huge break.........that means Bettis has to run into AL and Starks because h no longer can get to the edge............and if he did 53 would eat him alive..........Bettis has never had 100 on us so i think the Pitt game is looking alot more favorable............it will come down to Mac vs Ben........and mac usually plays lights out againt the Steelers.............tough game but it is looking better and better as it approaches..............I hope Hines holds out then we really will have a huge advantage
Hmm. Ty Law maybe?McNabb Vs. Roethlisberger?

AL & Starks???

Hmm. Ty Law maybe?McNabb Vs. Roethlisberger?

AL & Starks???
Bongo is a Titans fan who posts on the Jags MB sometimes.Ty = Tyrone Calico

Al & Starks = Albert haynesworth and Randy Starks (2 DTs)

53 = Keith Bulluck

It seems to me that Calico had a much more severe injury and damaged his ankle also?

STEELERS SIGN CHAD SCOTT
This was all I saw and my life flashed before my eyes. :shock: :wall:
Does it aeem clear to you that they are not too worried about Staley and expect him back soon? Otherwise I'd think they would make a move for somone.
a) Make a move for whom?b) It's the day of the surgery. You think the fact that they haven't done anything within 12 hours indicates that they are feeling fine?

STEELERS SIGN CHAD SCOTT
Does it aeem clear to you that they are not too worried about Staley and expect him back soon? Otherwise I'd think they would make a move for somone.
I wouldn't take inactivity as a sign they aren't worried. I'd image they think that if need be, a three headed monster of Bettis, Haynes and Parker can get them through the season, or at least until Staley is healthy. I'd tend to agree, if I was comfortable in the knowledge that Staley will be back this year. I have no reason to think he won't be, except for that little voice inside my head.... :unsure:

STEELERS SIGN CHAD SCOTT
a) Make a move for whom?b) It's the day of the surgery. You think the fact that they haven't done anything within 12 hours indicates that they are feeling fine?
Duce missed a bunch of games last year and the Steelers won every one of them. I am not saying they aren't concerned but if the o-line plays like they did last year then they'll do fine with Bettis, Haynes and Parker until Staley returns.

Anyone think this could make the Steelers feel a bit more urgency about getting Ward signed?

Users who are viewing this thread