What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Little Melvin can't be exposed to peanuts (1 Viewer)

Thought about this thread the other day.

I heard from my sister that one of her friends, a hot blonde chick from the town we grew up in and who I always wanted to tippity tap, died from eating some sauce that was peanut based. She carried some special pen with her at al times that had an emergency shot in case she was exposed, but it broke, and she died in a restroom.

:bag:

Pretty freaking awful. The irony was that she was a recovering drug addict. She was turning her life around and well on the road to being ok. This is what did her in.

:hot:

My neighbors daughter just died 2 months ago from an ice cream product with peanuts.

She was 27 and had two kids. I never knew it was that serious.

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack.  The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies. 

It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child.  Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?
I think most people can live with the basic precautions. It's the scanning every item your child uses for trace amounts of peanut products, or telling your kid he can't have his favorite Peanut Butter Captain Crunch before school because he might breathe on a kid with peanut allergies.Where is the line between his rights and yours?
Would you really want to be the ##### parent you sends your kid to school with something that could potentially make another child sick or worse?

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack.  The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies. 

It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child.  Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?
I think most people can live with the basic precautions. It's the scanning every item your child uses for trace amounts of peanut products, or telling your kid he can't have his favorite Peanut Butter Captain Crunch before school because he might breathe on a kid with peanut allergies.Where is the line between his rights and yours?
Would you really want to be the ##### parent you sends your kid to school with something that could potentially make another child sick or worse?
Is Melvin's mom hot or not?

Is Melvin's mom hot or not?
I don't even recall his mom. His Aunt brought him to school along with her own. She was Mrs. D. kind of attractive. You know, blond, slender, athletically fit, beautiful eyes and smile, flowing hair, leggy, if you like that sort of thing.

when did peanut allergies become so dangerous?seriously.
I don't think it is really known, but I knew one girl who had peanut allergies growing up and she is 47 now. Not only does my kid have life threating nut allergies, but 4 kids on my street (all of whom grew up in different areas and have moved to my street). I think general thought is over the years, it is how the US processes it's peanuts as opposed to the rest of the world, where the allergy doesn't seem to be so preveaent.

It's always been a serious allergy, but the numbers are rising dramatically. Some say because parents are better now and keep their kids away from germs, the body has nothing to battle so it finds something, hence more allergies to innocent foods. Also, in general, allergies get worse as you get older, and they are passed on to children, so the entire world is becoming more allergic every day.

It's always been a serious allergy, but the numbers are rising dramatically. Some say because parents are better now and keep their kids away from germs, the body has nothing to battle so it finds something, hence more allergies to innocent foods. Also, in general, allergies get worse as you get older, and they are passed on to children, so the entire world is becoming more allergic every day.
:goodposting: I sometimes feel that we are making our world too sterile with antibiotic soap, stronger and stronger cleaners, trying to get rid of every single germ...Let the kids eat dirt sometime

:yes: I sometimes feel that we are making our world too sterile with antibiotic soap, stronger and stronger cleaners, trying to get rid of every single germ...Let the kids eat dirt sometime
Was hoping this was an alias. :sigh:

Just moved to Houston, TX and the first thing they tell us at my son's new elementary school (he's in 1st grade) is, "This campus is a peanut-free zone."

;) Bunch of :bag:

Wait, so this whole thing is DW's fault? You should kick in like 20% of mojo's alimony. And represent him pro bono when e-mom and crazy Imp file for a restraining order.

Oh, and offer to help with his kid's education after Imp goes nuts one night and murders mojo in his sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is..no one give a rats ### about Little Melvin anymore..heck he probaly passed on from eating a Reeses.

This is an awesome peanut Jihad.

I was wondering if there is an explanation to what seems to be an explosion of food allergies. We didn't have lactose intolerant, nut sensative kids when I was in school (or no one said anything about it), why does this seem to be such a pervasive problem now?
Actually, we did have them but you never heard about them because most people either didn't say anything or didn't know what exactly was going on. But yes, I would agree that they have become more of a problem than ever before. Problem is that no one knows why.
I defy anyone to find a kid with gd peanut allergy between, oh the BEGINNING OF TIME and 1995. Didn't exist - and if it were so dadblamed dangerous it would have been killing kids right and left. Its only been the last 10 years that we've even seen signs about "Peanuts served here" well no ####, they are served everywhere and never hurt a soul when ANY of us were growing up.According to Auntie Mojo, its the poisons, toxins, preservatives, man-made crap that the food and drug companies serve up to us on a daily basis. We run more, exercise more, have 10X better medical circumstances than even one generation prior, yet we are fatter, and sicker than ever.
.....and so it began

I always got a kick out of this post from the peanut board:

gvmom

posted October 24, 2005 02:40 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW E-mom, haven't visited football guys in awhile, but thought Mojo was pretty funny. You have to know the guy I thought was borderline was the one with the avatar that looked like Jack the Pumpkin King from Nightmare Before Christmas right? Can't remember his name -- but something a bit off about him.

couple questions here tdoss,

I don't know if your married, single, whatever.

if you knew your child would have, let's say, a peanut allergy, and the child was not yet born, would you want to abort the pregnancy?

how about "autism"?

blind?

deaf?

exactly where on the spectrum would you draw the line, if any, in determining who has a right to live, and who doesn't?
To be honest...if I knew I was going to pollute the genepool so severely after the first couple of strikes...I think I would've called it quits and stopped procreating...but that's just me. Some...I guess...might be inclined to go the other route and keep spitting them out as if there's some category in Guinness Book that'll cover "Most genetic afflictions in one household".Hey...that's on you...you say your kids are wonderful...I'm inclined to believe you. And I understand you're expecting everyone around them to walk on egg shells to make sure they have a happy and "normal" life but at some point don't you ask yourself just how many concessions should one family rate?

If it were me...and I just could not stop having kids with special needs...then I might look for an environment that might be more acceptable to/for them...instead of constantly expecting the surroundings/environment they're already in to change/alter to fit their needs.

What if the next kid is allergic to the sun...are you honestly going to the schoolboard to make sure they draw all the blinds and keep all functions indoors for little powder?

I applaud you on another level...to carry this type of load...I understand the immediate quick temper and vitriol now...and here I thought you just hated men...it's apparent life has dealt you some pretty crappy cards...all of which appear to be aces in your book...but from a deck no one seems too willing to play with...so...I understand you better...and for that...I apologize for rattling your cage.

And to answer your question further...no...I would not abort...it's not something I believe in...but again...I think I might put an end to continuing the trend...
Oh man...I forgot how much fun I had in this thread...no wonder she didn't like the "jack skellington" guy...

Wonder how all these kids are popping up with weird allergies? Some people just shouldn't be having kids. Nowadays if you have enough money you can have kids with all the medical science available, but will the kid be as healthy as a baby conceived normally?

In Vitro Babies Have a Higher Risk of Health Problems

In vitro fertilization (IVF) — the implantation of fertilized eggs in a woman's uterus — offers hope for couples unsuccessful in conceiving naturally. However, Finnish researchers found that children born via IVF experience more health problems than kids conceived naturally.

Researchers tracked the health of 4,559 kids born between 1996 and 1999, including the type of delivery and the child's weight at birth. Because Finland has a national health care system, they were able to determine the number of kids who'd received medical care or disability payments for chronic conditions, including allergies, asthma, epilepsy, diabetes, diarrhea, arthritis, pneumonia, or psychological disorders. Researchers then compared the health of kids born via IVF with the health of those conceived naturally.

This is an awesome peanut Jihad.

I was wondering if there is an explanation to what seems to be an explosion of food allergies. We didn't have lactose intolerant, nut sensative kids when I was in school (or no one said anything about it), why does this seem to be such a pervasive problem now?
Actually, we did have them but you never heard about them because most people either didn't say anything or didn't know what exactly was going on. But yes, I would agree that they have become more of a problem than ever before. Problem is that no one knows why.
I defy anyone to find a kid with gd peanut allergy between, oh the BEGINNING OF TIME and 1995. Didn't exist - and if it were so dadblamed dangerous it would have been killing kids right and left. Its only been the last 10 years that we've even seen signs about "Peanuts served here" well no ####, they are served everywhere and never hurt a soul when ANY of us were growing up.According to Auntie Mojo, its the poisons, toxins, preservatives, man-made crap that the food and drug companies serve up to us on a daily basis. We run more, exercise more, have 10X better medical circumstances than even one generation prior, yet we are fatter, and sicker than ever.
.....and so it began
How comically correct was that line?

when did peanut allergies become so dangerous?

seriously.
This is an interesting question. I'll preface my response by saying that I really have no clue -- only a few wild guesses.Guess #1: Peanut allergies have always been a severe problem, but have only such become a problem recently because people have only begun eating peanuts recently (i.e., within the last few thousand years). Evidence in favor of this guess: I can't really think of any. Evidence against this guess: allergies seem to have become much more of a problem just within the last few decades, based on what I can tell from having read about 10% of this thread, and Guess #1 does not account for that.

Guess #2: As others have pointed out above, our world has become more microbe-free in the past few decades, what with all the anti-bacterial soaps and whatnot. Human immune systems may be severely compromised because of this, and maybe allergies have something to do with the immune system. (Come to think of it, I don't know how allergies work in general.) Evidence in favor of this guess: peanut allergies seem to be more of a problem in western, civilized countries than in other countries, as far as I can tell, and that's also where most of the anti-bacterial soap, etc., is. Evidence against this guess: I can't think of any.

Guess #3: Along similar lines as guess #2, people in the U.S. have in recent decades gone away from traditional foods and toward a new sterile world where everything is pasteurized or irradiated. Our milk is pasteurized, our juice is pasteurized, our pickles are pasteurized, people eat canned foods that are all sterilized, etc. Traditional foods contain a lot of probiotic bacteria that help strengthen the immune system, but we don't have that anymore. Evidence in favor of and against this guess: same as Guess #2.

Guess #4: Along with ingesting fewer good bacteria, people are also ingesting fewer vitamins and minerals these days. Many foods contain completely empty calories like flour or sugar/HCFS. And even somewhat nutrient-dense foods like corn have fewer minerals today than they did 50-100 years ago because petrochemical fertilizers and monocultural farming practices have depleted the soil. Maybe the lack of vitamins and minerals contributes to allergies. Evidence in favor of this guess: vague correlation observed -- nutrients have gone down while allergies have gone up. Evidence against this guess: if Guess #4 were correct, we should expect to see more peanut allergies in places like Mexico and Canada as well as in the U.S., but I have no idea whether or not we do.

Guess #5: Maybe it has something to do with bottle-feeding with infant formula instead of breast-feeding. Since allergies commonly affect small children, the responsible environmental influence would have to be something that occurs early in life -- which is why bottle-feeding is a better candidate than something like a more sedentary lifestyle -- which primarily affects adults. (Infants aren't really more sedentary now than they were 100 years ago, are they?) Possible evidence against this view: I have no idea if there's a correlation, but it wouldn't be that difficult to test if somebody wants to fund the study.

I would guess that it's related to diet somehow, though. That's a pretty major environmental variable that differs between past and current generations, and it seems to have a major affect on all kinds of health issues -- so a priori it seems like a decent candidate to explain recent allergy trends.

Guess #2: As others have pointed out above, our world has become more microbe-free in the past few decades, what with all the anti-bacterial soaps and whatnot. Human immune systems may be severely compromised because of this, and maybe allergies have something to do with the immune system. (Come to think of it, I don't know how allergies work in general.) Evidence in favor of this guess: peanut allergies seem to be more of a problem in western, civilized countries than in other countries, as far as I can tell, and that's also where most of the anti-bacterial soap, etc., is. Evidence against this guess: I can't think of any.
Turns out I wasn't the first person to think of this one.From Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz:

Our culture is terrified of germs and obsessed with hygiene. The more we glean about disease-causing viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms, the more we fear exposure to all forms of microscopic life. Every new sensationalized killer microbe gives us more reason to defend ourselves with vigilance. Nothing illustrates this more vividly than the sudden appearance, everywhere in the United States, of antibacterial soap. Twenty years ago, mass marketing of antibacterial soap was but a glimmer in some pharmaceutical executive's eye. It has quickly become the standard hand-washing hygiene product. Are fewer people getting sick as a result? "There's no evidence that they do any good and there's reason to suspect that they could contribute to a problem by helping to create antibiotic-resistant bacteria," says Myron Genel, chair of the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs.

The antibacterial compounds in these soaps, most commonly triclosan, kill the more susceptible bacteria but not the heartier ones. "These resistant microbes may include bacteria . . . that were unable to gain a foothold previously and are now able to thrive thanks to the destruction of competing microbes," says Dr. Stuart Levi, director of the Tufts University Center for Adaptation Genetics and Drug Resistance. Your skin, your orifices, and the surfaces of your home are all covered with microorganisms that help protect you (and themselves) from potentially harmful organisms that you both encounter. Constantly assaulting the bacteria on, in, and around you with antibacterial compounds weakens one line of defense your body uses against disease organisms.

Microorganisms not only protect us by competing with potentially dangerous organisms, they teach the immune system how to function. "The immune system organizes itself though experience, just like the brain," says Dr. Irun R. Cohen of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. A growing number of researchers are finding evidence to support what is known as "the hygiene hypothesis," which attributes the dramatic rise in prevalence of asthma and other allergies to lack of exposure to diverse microorganisms found in soil and untreated water. "The cleaner we live . . . the more likely we'll get asthma and allergies," states Dr. David Rosenstreich, director of Allergy and Immunology at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine in New York.

Turns out I wasn't the first person to think of this one.From Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz:

Our culture is terrified of germs and obsessed with hygiene. The more we glean about disease-causing viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms, the more we fear exposure to all forms of microscopic life. Every new sensationalized killer microbe gives us more reason to defend ourselves with vigilance. Nothing illustrates this more vividly than the sudden appearance, everywhere in the United States, of antibacterial soap. Twenty years ago, mass marketing of antibacterial soap was but a glimmer in some pharmaceutical executive's eye. It has quickly become the standard hand-washing hygiene product. Are fewer people getting sick as a result? "There's no evidence that they do any good and there's reason to suspect that they could contribute to a problem by helping to create antibiotic-resistant bacteria," says Myron Genel, chair of the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs.

The antibacterial compounds in these soaps, most commonly triclosan, kill the more susceptible bacteria but not the heartier ones. "These resistant microbes may include bacteria . . . that were unable to gain a foothold previously and are now able to thrive thanks to the destruction of competing microbes," says Dr. Stuart Levi, director of the Tufts University Center for Adaptation Genetics and Drug Resistance. Your skin, your orifices, and the surfaces of your home are all covered with microorganisms that help protect you (and themselves) from potentially harmful organisms that you both encounter. Constantly assaulting the bacteria on, in, and around you with antibacterial compounds weakens one line of defense your body uses against disease organisms.

Microorganisms not only protect us by competing with potentially dangerous organisms, they teach the immune system how to function. "The immune system organizes itself though experience, just like the brain," says Dr. Irun R. Cohen of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. A growing number of researchers are finding evidence to support what is known as "the hygiene hypothesis," which attributes the dramatic rise in prevalence of asthma and other allergies to lack of exposure to diverse microorganisms found in soil and untreated water. "The cleaner we live . . . the more likely we'll get asthma and allergies," states Dr. David Rosenstreich, director of Allergy and Immunology at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine in New York.
:confused: I have read something about this before but still this is interesting.

A friend of mine who is a geneticist once asked me, "Do you know what there aren't many peanut allergies in Asia?" I had no clue."Because anyone with the allergy is dead by the age of three."

I don't know if it is true, but it made me think a little.

Maurile Tremblay said:

I thought that allergies were the result of an overreaction by the immune system. I have read about this hygiene hypothesis with regard to other illnesses, but if our immune systems are weakened by excessive hygiene, then how would they overreact?Is this part saying that the immune system not only functions on a strength scale, but also an accuracy scale?

The immune system organizes itself though experience, just like the brain.
So its not just that the number of organisms in the immune system is low as a result of excessive hygiene, but also that the organisms that do exist are "stupid" because they haven't had much practice?

My understanding (I have a son with a peanut allergy) is that the theory is that the immune system basically doesn't have enough to do so it starts reacting where it normally wouldn't. Maybe everything else that goes in to the body is so "clean" that it makes the peanut seem "dirty" in comparison so the immune system decides it better go after it.

Users who are viewing this thread