What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How I Met Your Mother (2 Viewers)

djcolts

Footballguy
Anyone watch this last night? I liked Doogie Howser and Willow in their roles in it. The main character was kind of dull, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it. It was pretty good. We'll see though. It could do downhill or pick itself up through the season if they do it right.

Well, maybe I analyzed this too much, but it didn't add up....The premise is that two kids are listening to their father talk about how he met their mother. The one kid looks be in her early to mid teens. However, in the flashbacks I noticed a few things:1) While playing laser tag, Doogie Howser answered a flip phone. Did those exist when Laser tag ruled? I mean, 15-18 years ago, was a flip phone around?2) Once scene had a couple sitting with a modern looking laptop computer? How is that possible? What were the laptop choices in 1990? Just curious....Seemed odd to me....

Well, maybe I analyzed this too much, but it didn't add up....

The premise is that two kids are listening to their father talk about how he met their mother. The one kid looks be in her early to mid teens. However, in the flashbacks I noticed a few things:

1) While playing laser tag, Doogie Howser answered a flip phone. Did those exist when Laser tag ruled? I mean, 15-18 years ago, was a flip phone around?

2) Once scene had a couple sitting with a modern looking laptop computer? How is that possible? What were the laptop choices in 1990? Just curious....

Seemed odd to me....
He was talking to his kids at some future date-- around 2020?? The flashbacks were to 2005. It showed that on the screen in big letters beforehand. C'mon, dude--- and I was baked when I watched it!We thought it was an ok show. Some potential.

The premise is that two kids are listening to their father talk about how he met their mother. The one kid looks be in her early to mid teens. However, in the flashbacks I noticed a few things:

1) While playing laser tag, Doogie Howser answered a flip phone. Did those exist when Laser tag ruled? I mean, 15-18 years ago, was a flip phone around?

2) Once scene had a couple sitting with a modern looking laptop computer? How is that possible? What were the laptop choices in 1990? Just curious....

Seemed odd to me....
He was talking to his kids at some future date-- around 2020?? The flashbacks were to 2005. It showed that on the screen in big letters beforehand. C'mon, dude--- and I was baked when I watched it!We thought it was an ok show. Some potential.
Also, why did he say at the end, "And that is how I met your aunt?" which totally confused the kids as they thought he was telling them the story about how me met their mother?

Seemed odd to me....
Also, why did he say at the end, "And that is how I met your aunt?" which totally confused the kids as they thought he was telling them the story about how me met their mother?
yeah, that kinda bummed me out. i liked that chick and was hoping to see a lot more of her. not sure if ill be a steady watcher if she aint on regularly.

Seemed odd to me....
yeah, that kinda bummed me out. i liked that chick and was hoping to see a lot more of her. not sure if ill be a steady watcher if she aint on regularly.
Agreed. We were suprised by that, but I guess he ends up with that chicks sister? Possibly a twin, and the same actress would still play that role. :thumbup:

Seemed odd to me....
Agreed. We were suprised by that, but I guess he ends up with that chicks sister? Possibly a twin, and the same actress would still play that role. :thumbup:
As stupid as this sounds, it kind of ruined it for me. I'm all for the sappy stuff so...THEY HAD BETTER FIX IT NEXT WEEK!! :rant:

Seemed odd to me....
I think there's a misinterpretation here. It means she will be a regular I think, but not his future wife. Remember early in the episode he referered to both of the male supporting characters as "Uncle" (and both are friends, not relatives in the first episode) - so "Aunt" can mean female friend in this context.Edit - I took a look at the official site - she's definitely a regular cast member.

Seemed odd to me....
I see. Didn't see the beginning, sorry. Having 1.5 year old twins = don't get to watch as closely as I'd like.

Seemed odd to me....
I think there's a misinterpretation here. It means she will be a regular I think, but not his future wife. Remember early in the episode he referered to both of the male supporting characters as "Uncle" (and both are friends, not relatives in the first episode) - so "Aunt" can mean female friend in this context.Edit - I took a look at the official site - she's definitely a regular cast member.
Yeah, that is how I interpreted it too. She will be a good friend of his. And that was the saving grace actually for me for the show. It's now TIVO worthy, although Willow gave it borderline status all her own. They set up this whole premiere making you expect that the big romance will be the geek and the hot reporter, and they flip it at the end so you don't know who will be involved. Shows a lot of promise just for that little bit.

I see. Didn't see the beginning, sorry. Having 1.5 year old twins = don't get to watch as closely as I'd like.

Seemed odd to me....
Wow. How closely would you have watched it if not for the kids? ;) I hear ya on the kiddies, though. We have 3 little ones and we would be doomed if not for TiVo.

Seemed odd to me....
Wow. How closely would you have watched it if not for the kids? ;) I hear ya on the kiddies, though. We have 3 little ones and we would be doomed if not for TiVo.
Hey, bath time ran long, so I missed the improtant tidbit about the future. Turned it on when they were already rolling the story. Makes sense now though.....

It was almost like two shows. When Doogie Howser was in the scene, it was funny. When he wasn't, it was run-of-the-mill crap relying on sexual innuendo.I'll watch it agian though. It's never really fair to pass judgment based on a pilot and it wasn't awful.

I'll watch again. It's better than King of Queens at this point.
What isn't? The whole pole thing was almost too much to watch. Why didn't they do that storyline in the first season (when she was hot??)??

meh ... nothing really stood out in this show.On a side note, the new shows this year have been total crap so far. No real standout comedies yet (Earl was okay), and nothing even close to last year's hit, Lost. :X

I enjoyed the episode last night more than the pilot. Doogie's dumping of a one-night stand after he runs into her again was funny (though predictable).

I enjoyed the episode last night more than the pilot. Doogie's dumping of a one-night stand after he runs into her again was funny (though predictable).
It's an OK show, but I don't see it lasting too long. I can't not watch Allyson Hannigan and Doogie though.

I enjoyed the episode last night more than the pilot.  Doogie's dumping of a one-night stand after he runs into her again was funny (though predictable).
It's an OK show, but I don't see it lasting too long. I can't not watch Allyson Hannigan and Doogie though.
It'll last because most CBS sitcoms on Monday survive. The only exception I can think of recently was "My Big Fat Greek Life" - which was awful.

I watched last night and thought it was pretty funny. The "Doogie Howser" character was funny (legendary), and I thought the law student guy was also pretty good.

The show has not improved since the pilot. They are wasting Doogie, which is a shame because he'll more than pulling the weight here - but the writing is just average at best, and the main character is still dull.

The show has not improved since the pilot. They are wasting Doogie, which is a shame because he'll more than pulling the weight here - but the writing is just average at best, and the main character is still dull.
I was watching the Wings game last night so I have it TIVO'd for later. I think they are wasting Hannigan as well. Those two are too good to waste on background players.

The show has not improved since the pilot.  They are wasting Doogie, which is a shame because he'll more than pulling the weight here - but the writing is just average at best, and the main character is still dull.
I was watching the Wings game last night so I have it TIVO'd for later. I think they are wasting Hannigan as well. Those two are too good to waste on background players.
She didn't want to do an Alyson Hannigan show - and I understand the theory behind that, but the writing must improve and I don't think the other 3 cast members are interesting enough.

She didn't want to do an Alyson Hannigan show - and I understand the theory behind that, but the writing must improve and I don't think the other 3 cast members are interesting enough.
She's got no depth though, she's a throw away character. At least Doogie gets some decent lines.

The show has not improved since the pilot.  They are wasting Doogie, which is a shame because he'll more than pulling the weight here - but the writing is just average at best, and the main character is still dull.
She's got no depth though, she's a throw away character. At least Doogie gets some decent lines.
I agree.

I still watch this show (mainly because of Doogie and the hot brunette) - but it really has been a disappointment. They really need to make the main character a lot more interesting and I don't think the writers are good enough to do it.

If they really want it to work, then need to make doogie the main character.Scooby doo used to be called "Fred". Scooby stole the show and the name changed. This needs to be "Doogie grows up and abuses women."

If they really want it to work, then need to make doogie the main character.

Scooby doo used to be called "Fred". Scooby stole the show and the name changed. This needs to be "Doogie grows up and abuses women."
I'm not sure Doogie can be the main character - I think his role is just right. The main character needs to be less of a wuss - and the writers need to find a way to credibly do that (some incident that changes his life to end his wussiness and become more interesting to watch).

Scooby doo used to be called "Fred". Scooby stole the show and the name changed. This needs to be "Doogie grows up and abuses women."
Como say what?

Como say what?
According to this site, he's half right:
The show actually started out revolving around four teenage detectives who traveled the country in a van, called the Mystery Machine, solving mysteries in dangerous situations. A Great Dane accompanied the foursome but was not a promient character. The show was first known as Mysteries Five and later changed to Who's Scared?

You can't make Kramer the main character and expect the show to be a hit. You have to have solidly-written Jerrys, Elaines and Georges. THEN toss in Kramer with his random, wacky, off-the-wall antics.

Scooby doo used to be called "Fred".  Scooby stole the show and the name changed.  This needs to be "Doogie grows up and abuses women."
Como say what?
According to this site, he's half right:
The show actually started out revolving around four teenage detectives who traveled the country in a van, called the Mystery Machine, solving mysteries in dangerous situations. A Great Dane accompanied the foursome but was not a promient character. The show was first known as Mysteries Five and later changed to Who's Scared?
I know that part...the "five" were sort of a hybrid of the Archie's with a band who solved crimes inbetween their gigs...but Scoobs was never named "Fred". He was named "Too Much".

I like the show. But i got a feleing the whole Robin thing will drag out for quite awhile, sure he'll hook up with other girls etc. but I guess Robin is the mother? Guess we really wont know until the show ends.

I like the show.

But i got a feleing the whole Robin thing will drag out for quite awhile, sure he'll hook up with other girls etc. but I guess Robin is the mother?

Guess we really wont know until the show ends.
I keep thinking he'll end up with Robin, and then I have to remind myself that, in the opening, when he's talking to the kids, he keeps mentioning "Aunt Robin"

I like the show.

But i got a feleing the whole Robin thing will drag out for quite awhile, sure he'll hook up with other girls etc. but I guess Robin is the mother?

I keep thinking he'll end up with Robin, and then I have to remind myself that, in the opening, when he's talking to the kids, he keeps mentioning "Aunt Robin"
He's really starting to look like a schmuck, this new chick better boost up his image.

Problems come when the essential gimmick starts to break down. He is retelling a tale to his kids on how he met their mother, however, he still hasn't met the girl and he is telling story's about incidents he was not witness to. :bs:I dropped this show after 4 episodes

I like the show.

Wait, so the Cobie Smulders character isn't the "mother"?

Users who are viewing this thread