What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Jones News (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
From today's Chicago Tribune:

A MRI test on Thomas Jones' right knee revealed a stretched lateral collateral ligament. The results are being sent to noted surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, but it's likely Jones will miss Sunday's game against Minnesota.

Regardless, kudos to him on an impressive year thus far. Fending off a first round pick is not easy and Benson hasn't had much of a chance of starting til now, when he got hurt.

Hey Grid, check out page 118 of today's Sun Times. They are reporting the MRI revealed only a mild sprain and that Jones is day to day.John Tait is also listed as day to day and Ruben Brown has a slight pectoral tear that should cause him to miss a week or two.I am hoping for the best with Jones, as he has really been a bright spot this year with his play and attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have TJ on my team, but I hope he's OK. I had him last year, and was impressed with how hard he ran with no QB to speak of. Unfortunately for him, if he's out, it could be the inevitable start of the Benson era.The guy has sure come a long way from his Arizona bust days and the "phone incident".

Hey Grid, check out page 118 of today's Sun Times.  They are reporting the MRI revealed only a mild sprain and that Jones is day to day.

John Tait is also listed as day to day and Ruben Brown has a slight pectoral tear that should cause him to miss a week or two.

I am hoping for the best with Jones, as he has really been a bright spot this year with his play and attitude.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-biggs111.html
Looks good, go TJ!

As of last week I was 1-4 with only one legitimate running back on my roster. This week, I have Kevin Jones, Jerome Bettis, Tatum Bell, and Cedric Benson. Amazing how one week can turn things around...

As of last week I was 1-4 with only one legitimate running back on my roster. This week, I have Kevin Jones, Jerome Bettis, Tatum Bell, and Cedric Benson. Amazing how one week can turn things around...
How could you have been 1-4 last week? Doubleheader?Anyway, now you've got 1 RB, 2 parts of 2 RBBCs and a 1st round pick that may see time.

Congratulations. Start printing fantasy playoff tickets.

A MRI test on Thomas Jones' right knee revealed a stretched lateral collateral ligament. The results are being sent to noted surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, but it's likely Jones will miss Sunday's game against Minnesota.
I could be wrong, but isn't a stretched ligament a sprain or is it a strain? Where's my FBG magazine with the all the defined orthopedic vernacular? ;)

As of last week I was 1-4 with only one legitimate running back on my roster.  This week, I have Kevin Jones, Jerome Bettis, Tatum Bell, and Cedric Benson.  Amazing how one week can turn things around...
How could you have been 1-4 last week? Doubleheader?Anyway, now you've got 1 RB, 2 parts of 2 RBBCs and a 1st round pick that may see time.

Congratulations. Start printing fantasy playoff tickets.
I'm still in big trouble. I meant I was 1-4 after five weeks. The main thing that killed me is every team drafts 20 players, so you can't get RB's off the waiver wire. I had Arrington, a bust, Tatum Bell, who didn't play, Cedric Benson, who didn't play, and Staley and Bettis, who got dwarfed by Parker. Killed me. And then I had Culpepper, who has also killed me.

Knee injury likely to sideline JonesBy K.C. JohnsonTribune staff reporterOctober 10, 2005The Bears issued no official word on the severity of injuries to Thomas Jones, Ruben Brown and John Tait on Monday, but signs don't look as promising as hoped.A MRI test on Jones' right knee revealed a stretched lateral collateral ligament. The results are being sent to noted surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, but it's likely Jones will miss Sunday's game against Minnesota.Shortly after Brown painted an optimistic picture about his injured left pectoral muscle, coach Lovie Smith offered a different view."He didn't tear it completely, which is good," Smith said. "You never know how long it will take."Asked if that meant Brown's MRI test had revealed a partial tear, Smith demurred."He didn't tear it completely," he repeated. "I'll just say that. You go from there."Brown carried a shopping bag as he left Halas Hall."I've had a torn pec before," the guard said. "This one doesn't really feel like a torn pec. My range of motion is a lot better than it was [sunday]. [sunday] I couldn't even hold this bag in my hand. Now I can. I can raise my arm. I'm feeling good about the way things feel."Offensive line stability has been integral to the Bears' success in rushing the football. Roberto Garza replaced Brown and struggled early by committing a face-mask penalty and allowing a sack.But Garza played while the Bears marched 93 yards on 12 plays for their lone touchdown drive, with Jones rushing seven times for 73 yards.Tait blocked on that drive but later left with a sprained left ankle. Smith said the left tackle, who wore a walking boot, is day-to-day.Jones has three straight 100-yard rushing games, so losing him would be a big blow. If he's out, would Cedric Benson start?"Cedric is next in the rotation, but I was pleased with what Adrian Peterson did," Smith said. "He's a good running back."

The negative Tribune article is from the 10th. The more positive Sun Times article is from the 11th.Take it for what it's worth.

Hey Guys,Here's what I sent our subscribers.

Hi Folks,I'm getting lots of mail on Thomas Jones today so I wanted to passthis along to you.It's interesting as the news out of Chicago appears at first glance to be mixed.The Chicago Tribune ran a story by K.C. Johnson with theheadline : KNEE INJURY LIKELY TO SIDELINE JONES.Mr. Johnson wrote: "The Bears issued no official word on the severityof injuries to Thomas Jones, Ruben Brown and John Tait on Monday, butsigns don't look as promising as hoped."The article then went on to say: "A MRI test on Jones' right kneerevealed a stretched lateral collateral ligament. The results arebeing sent to noted surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, butit's likely Jones will miss Sunday's game against Minnesota."However, the Chicago Sun-Times had a more optimistic take on things. Astory this morning by Brad Biggs ran with the headline: ON BRIGHTSIDE, INJURY REPORT NOT BAD.Mr. Biggs wrote:  "An MRI revealed running back Thomas Jones, rankedfourth in the NFC with 413 yards, has only a mild sprain in his rightknee and is day-to-day."[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW  ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]Interesting spin on the same story. What's this mean? It means youhave to read between the lines and know a little about knee injuries.Both writers are describing the same thing. A "stretched lateralcollateral ligament (LCL) is the same thing as a "mild sprain".As readers of our Footballguys Strategy Guide from this summer know, I dida large article with my friend, Dr. David Hovis who is an orthopedicsurgeon specializing in Sports Medicine. Dr. Hovis is a Team Physicianfor the U.S. Alpine Ski Team and served as Assistant Team Physicianwith the Denver Broncos. As he describes, ligament sprains are gradedon a scale of 1 to 3. With 1 being a simple stretch to the ligament, 2being a partial tear of the ligament and 3 being complete tears of theligament.Grade one sprains generally do not show instability in the affectedjoint. For many players, they will return to action immediately with agrade 1 sprain. Granted, therse are subjective judgements and ligamentdamage is difficult to measure exactly. But the reality is that itappears Thomas Jones has a Grade 1 sprain of the LCL which is not anoverly serious injury.I would be inclined to lean more toward the Sun-Times spin on thisbeing thankful it's only a mild sprain (which remember is the same asa stretch) of the ligament. It's also a plus that it's the lateralcollateral ligament (LCL) as opposed to the anterior cruciate ligament(ACL).Bottom line: Good news it wasn't worse and expect him to be day to day.On another angle, don't expect for Cedric Benson to immediately jumpto the starter if Jones can't go. Benson still is struggling in passprotection and I'd expect the Bears to go with a two back rotationwith Benson and Adrian Peterson. Peterson converted a key 3rd and 19play in the fourth quarter Sunday and seems to have the confidence ofthe coaches. Said head coach Lovie Smith, "Cedric is next in therotation at the running back position. But I was pleased with whatAdrian Peterson did.''Obviously, this is one we'll stay on top of for you but I wanted toshoot this to you now.Have a great Tuesday.J

Hey Guys,

Here's what I sent our subscribers.

Hi Folks,

I'm getting lots of mail on Thomas Jones today so I wanted to pass

this along to you.

It's interesting as the news out of Chicago appears at first glance to be mixed.

The Chicago Tribune ran a story by K.C. Johnson with the

headline : KNEE INJURY LIKELY TO SIDELINE JONES.

Mr. Johnson wrote: "The Bears issued no official word on the severity

of injuries to Thomas Jones, Ruben Brown and John Tait on Monday, but

signs don't look as promising as hoped."

The article then went on to say: "A MRI test on Jones' right knee

revealed a stretched lateral collateral ligament. The results are

being sent to noted surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, but

it's likely Jones will miss Sunday's game against Minnesota."

However, the Chicago Sun-Times had a more optimistic take on things. A

story this morning by Brad Biggs ran with the headline: ON BRIGHT

SIDE, INJURY REPORT NOT BAD.

Mr. Biggs wrote:  "An MRI revealed running back Thomas Jones, ranked

fourth in the NFC with 413 yards, has only a mild sprain in his right

knee and is day-to-day."

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW  ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Interesting spin on the same story. What's this mean? It means you

have to read between the lines and know a little about knee injuries.

Both writers are describing the same thing. A "stretched lateral

collateral ligament (LCL) is the same thing as a "mild sprain".

As readers of our Footballguys Strategy Guide from this summer know, I did

a large article with my friend, Dr. David Hovis who is an orthopedic

surgeon specializing in Sports Medicine. Dr. Hovis is a Team Physician

for the U.S. Alpine Ski Team and served as Assistant Team Physician

with the Denver Broncos. As he describes, ligament sprains are graded

on a scale of 1 to 3. With 1 being a simple stretch to the ligament, 2

being a partial tear of the ligament and 3 being complete tears of the

ligament.

Grade one sprains generally do not show instability in the affected

joint. For many players, they will return to action immediately with a

grade 1 sprain. Granted, therse are subjective judgements and ligament

damage is difficult to measure exactly. But the reality is that it

appears Thomas Jones has a Grade 1 sprain of the LCL which is not an

overly serious injury.

I would be inclined to lean more toward the Sun-Times spin on this

being thankful it's only a mild sprain (which remember is the same as

a stretch) of the ligament. It's also a plus that it's the lateral

collateral ligament (LCL) as opposed to the anterior cruciate ligament

(ACL).

Bottom line: Good news it wasn't worse and expect him to be day to day.

On another angle, don't expect for Cedric Benson to immediately jump

to the starter if Jones can't go. Benson still is struggling in pass

protection and I'd expect the Bears to go with a two back rotation

with Benson and Adrian Peterson. Peterson converted a key 3rd and 19

play in the fourth quarter Sunday and seems to have the confidence of

the coaches. Said head coach Lovie Smith, "Cedric is next in the

rotation at the running back position. But I was pleased with what

Adrian Peterson did.''

Obviously, this is one we'll stay on top of for you but I wanted to

shoot this to you now.

Have a great Tuesday.

J
Is someone going to ban Joe for posting pay-per info verbatim? ;)

I could be wrong, but isn't a stretched ligament a sprain or is it a strain? Where's my FBG magazine with the all the defined orthopedic vernacular? ;)
Repost of a reply I put together a couple months back about orthopedic injuries..http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...dpost&p=3397755

Hey Guys,

Here's what I sent our subscribers.

Hi Folks,

I'm getting lots of mail on Thomas Jones today so I wanted to pass

this along to you.

It's interesting as the news out of Chicago appears at first glance to be mixed.

The Chicago Tribune ran a story by K.C. Johnson with the

headline : KNEE INJURY LIKELY TO SIDELINE JONES.

Mr. Johnson wrote: "The Bears issued no official word on the severity

of injuries to Thomas Jones, Ruben Brown and John Tait on Monday, but

signs don't look as promising as hoped."

The article then went on to say: "A MRI test on Jones' right knee

revealed a stretched lateral collateral ligament. The results are

being sent to noted surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, but

it's likely Jones will miss Sunday's game against Minnesota."

However, the Chicago Sun-Times had a more optimistic take on things. A

story this morning by Brad Biggs ran with the headline: ON BRIGHT

SIDE, INJURY REPORT NOT BAD.

Mr. Biggs wrote:  "An MRI revealed running back Thomas Jones, ranked

fourth in the NFC with 413 yards, has only a mild sprain in his right

knee and is day-to-day."

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW  ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Interesting spin on the same story. What's this mean? It means you

have to read between the lines and know a little about knee injuries.

Both writers are describing the same thing. A "stretched lateral

collateral ligament (LCL) is the same thing as a "mild sprain".

As readers of our Footballguys Strategy Guide from this summer know, I did

a large article with my friend, Dr. David Hovis who is an orthopedic

surgeon specializing in Sports Medicine. Dr. Hovis is a Team Physician

for the U.S. Alpine Ski Team and served as Assistant Team Physician

with the Denver Broncos. As he describes, ligament sprains are graded

on a scale of 1 to 3. With 1 being a simple stretch to the ligament, 2

being a partial tear of the ligament and 3 being complete tears of the

ligament.

Grade one sprains generally do not show instability in the affected

joint. For many players, they will return to action immediately with a

grade 1 sprain. Granted, therse are subjective judgements and ligament

damage is difficult to measure exactly. But the reality is that it

appears Thomas Jones has a Grade 1 sprain of the LCL which is not an

overly serious injury.

I would be inclined to lean more toward the Sun-Times spin on this

being thankful it's only a mild sprain (which remember is the same as

a stretch) of the ligament. It's also a plus that it's the lateral

collateral ligament (LCL) as opposed to the anterior cruciate ligament

(ACL).

Bottom line: Good news it wasn't worse and expect him to be day to day.

On another angle, don't expect for Cedric Benson to immediately jump

to the starter if Jones can't go. Benson still is struggling in pass

protection and I'd expect the Bears to go with a two back rotation

with Benson and Adrian Peterson. Peterson converted a key 3rd and 19

play in the fourth quarter Sunday and seems to have the confidence of

the coaches. Said head coach Lovie Smith, "Cedric is next in the

rotation at the running back position. But I was pleased with what

Adrian Peterson did.''

Obviously, this is one we'll stay on top of for you but I wanted to

shoot this to you now.

Have a great Tuesday.

J
Is someone going to ban Joe for posting pay-per info verbatim? ;)
I might, :bye: but they do not give mod powers to maniacs like me :( .Good factual info from the Dr. Hovis :thumbup: .

Grid (and all Chicago Fans)What's your take on what I said about Peterson? I really think Smith has thrown out a lot of the draft hype and whatever and is going by what he sees on the field. And it seems to me that on the field, he's not overly anxious to put Benson out there as his workhorse.J

Good factual info from the Dr. Hovis  :thumbup: .
Thanks DW. Doc's a good guy. He loves this stuff. Sent me the attached pic from the Alabama WR from a few weeks ago. IMPORTANT Do NOT view this file if severe orthopedic injuries bother you. Seriously.

J

alabamaprothroinjury.jpg

If Jones is out this week - would Benson get the load, or would it be more of a RBBC?
Even if he does get the start .... with no benchmark to gauge him by, you have to wonder HOW GOOD WILL HE BE. Just because TJ was getting 120-150 yards a game, it would not be a smart move to start him with expectations that he produces like Jones has.

I am not saying that he wont, but I am not a fan of starting someone that has not proven himself ... and benson has as much of a chance of flopping as he does of playing well.

First game, first start and first play in the NFL. He might be surprised at how fast the game moves in the pro's and on Sunday.

I want a productive game from him before he get a start in my leagues.

I am glad there is no mention of any ACL injury.The LCL is on the outside of the knee and you can definitely play with that type of injury.He may have to wear a brace of some sort, but he should be back soon.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Peterson see more action then Benson. So far Benson has fumbled and is not ready for the blocking assignments especially with a rookie QB back there.

Good factual info from the Dr. Hovis :thumbup: .
Thanks DW. Doc's a good guy. He loves this stuff. Sent me the attached pic from the Alabama WR from a few weeks ago. IMPORTANT Do NOT view this file if severe orthopedic injuries bother you. Seriously.

J
Thanks JB! There goes my lunch! :X Thanks for the info from the Doc. Agree with ya on the Peterson view.

Grid (and all Chicago Fans)

What's your take on what I said about Peterson? I really think Smith has thrown out a lot of the draft hype and whatever and is going by what he sees on the field. And it seems to me that on the field, he's not overly anxious to put Benson out there as his workhorse.

J
From what I see here in Chicago in the papers, I think Benson would be your "starter" but would rotate series with Peterson and Peterson would also handle 3rd down plays. Benson is improving in pass block schemes but is still lacking in that area. He still comes across and aloof and uninspired, as well as kind of sulking about his backup role. For the sake of all the Bears I hope Jones is ok and at most only sits 1 week.

Good factual info from the Dr. Hovis  :thumbup: .

J
That just made me want to look at it more but wow... :X That ain't right.

If Jones is out this week - would Benson get the load, or would it be more of a RBBC?
Even if he does get the start .... with no benchmark to gauge him by, you have to wonder HOW GOOD WILL HE BE. Just because TJ was getting 120-150 yards a game, it would not be a smart move to start him with expectations that he produces like Jones has.

I am not saying that he wont, but I am not a fan of starting someone that has not proven himself ... and benson has as much of a chance of flopping as he does of playing well.

First game, first start and first play in the NFL. He might be surprised at how fast the game moves in the pro's and on Sunday.

I want a productive game from him before he get a start in my leagues.
We also have to factor in the health of the OL. Tait is listed day to day and it looks like Ruben Brown is gonna miss at least 1 week.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Peterson see more action then Benson. So far Benson has fumbled and is not ready for the blocking assignments especially with a rookie QB back there.
If i'm not mistaken, didn't Peterson cause the fumble(Knocked it out of Orton's hands with his helmet?) that pretty much ended the Bears chances this last week?

This week could be a good week to get an idea of Benson's character. Does he come out with a chip on his shoulder and play well showing everybody he has game? Does he look lost, unprepared and unready? This could be a good glimpse into what kind of attitude he will bring to the NFL. I would be surprised if he does not get a good chance to showcase himself.

What's your take on what I said about Peterson? I really think Smith has thrown out a lot of the draft hype and whatever and is going by what he sees on the field. And it seems to me that on the field, he's not overly anxious to put Benson out there as his workhorse.

J
I agree 100% - Peterson lead the Bears with 233 yards on 51 attempts in preseason. (That's a 4.6 yards per) In terms of "style" of RB he anfdJones are very similar - both are 5' 10' abot 210-220, both have good speed, good hands and can block. Benson is more of a power runner (who hasn't been thrown to yet) - who's still working on his blocking and has "slippery fingers" all of the sudden. Combine this with a 2.7 yards/carry avearge and I see an even split between Peterson and Benson...at least. On an offense that can't afford missed assignments and turn-overs, unless Benson starts to really shine (i.e. more than 6 yards on 5 carries), I don't see him getting more than 50% of the work - and that's if Jones is out.(lived in Chicago for 35+ years - my whole life ;) )

If i'm not mistaken, didn't Peterson cause the fumble(Knocked it out of Orton's hands with his helmet?) that pretty much ended the Bears chances this last week?
The Orton fumble was caused when Peterson's left shoulder pad came into contact with Orton who was dropping back on a pass play. Peterson was attempting to cut at a defensive lineman who timed the snap and was through the line before the play action could occur. My take: It was neither the fault of Orton or Petersen; but rather the offensive line for allowing the penetration (or a good play by the Browns defensive lineman)Native to Chicago now, I have heard conflicting reports on 670-Score and ESPN-1000, even conflicting within hosts on the same station and same show about who would see the majority of the action if Jones was sidelined.

Reagrding Tribune/Sun Times news....my opinion is that Biggs is the more reputable reporter, and more often has the insight/breaking news we are all looking for. That said, as Joe pointed out, they were discussing the same thing...I guess we will have to wait and see.

That's what a sprain is - when the ligament is partially torn(stretched). Varying degrees of that, but just a sprain as long as it's still attached.

J
(Chicago Homer)Would agree on the Peterson comment, he has been with the bears for years and knows the system. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get more carries (than Benson) next week if jones cant go. I think the Benson deal is a combo of things.

1. Lack of experience

2. Thomas Jones is just better

3. Might go as far to say Peterson is better at this point. Not the same type of back but fast/similar to jones

Will be interesting to see if Benson does get a real shot this weekend to carry the load and start to either shine or really show its not his time. I guess from a Bear fan standpoint they stink and it really doesn't matter.. :thumbdown:

Will be interesting to see if Benson does get a real shot this weekend to carry the load and start to either shine or really show its not his time. I guess from a Bear fan standpoint they stink and it really doesn't matter.. :thumbdown:
So, are for sure that TJones is sitting this week out?

Will be interesting to see if Benson does get a real shot this weekend to carry the load and start to either shine or really show its not his time. I guess from a Bear fan standpoint they stink and it really doesn't matter..  :thumbdown:
Hi Fanatic,Not for sure at all. I think it's a wait and see for this week.

J

If Jones can't go, and Benson starts, Benson will get 80% of the carries IMO.

Why?

Because the Bears are at home -- against the pitiful, wayward Vikings. As bad as Ced has looked in his limited action, he is almost GUARANTEED to have success against that defense, which will in turn give him a much-needed boost of confidence and the majority of the workload. Peterson may well be a nice player, but he does not have Benson's talent.

Will be interesting to see if Benson does get a real shot this weekend to carry the load and start to either shine or really show its not his time. I guess from a Bear fan standpoint they stink and it really doesn't matter..  :thumbdown:
Hi Fanatic,Not for sure at all. I think it's a wait and see for this week.

J
That's what I thought. I didn't see anything so far that precludes the guy from starting next week. All I can see is that he's day to day. People looking at next week to see who will take over the role of starting RB may be watching TJ run the ball quite a lot...

If Jones can't go, and Benson starts, Benson will get 80% of the carries IMO.

Why?

Because the Bears are at home -- against the pitiful, wayward Vikings. As bad as Ced has looked in his limited action, he is almost GUARANTEED to have success against that defense, which will in turn give him a much-needed boost of confidence and the majority of the workload. Peterson may well be a nice player, but he does not have Benson's talent.
Can Benson block yet? I'd think the #1 priority right now is to have guys who can protect a rookie QB.

If Jones does not play, I look for the Vikes to beat the Bears. It iwll not be a grind it out type of game the Bears like. The people pimping Benson are doing so prematurely. He will get a chance to prove himself. I just do not think he is ready yet. At this time, Benson will only frustrate all concerned with subpar play. We are too quick to minimize what all Benson lost by missing the majority of training camp.

From KFFL:Bears may be Without Thomas JonesK.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (knee) had an MRI which showed a stretched lateral collateral ligament (LCL). The results are being sent to surgeon James Andrews for a second opinion, but it is likely Jones will not be able to play against the Minnesota Vikings during Week 6. RB Cedric Benson would likely be the next in line to start during Week 6 if Jones is unable to play. However, head coach Lovie Smith also noted he was pleased with how well RB Adrian Peterson has played

The people pimping Benson are doing so prematurely. He will get a chance to prove himself. I just do not think he is ready yet.
If I'm one of the "pimpers" to whom you refer, I'm doing nothing of the kind. I am a Benson owner, and I am also the first to admit that he has looked positively horrible so far. But the main point that I wanted to illustrate is that he could not have picked a better matchup for his starting debut. At home against the sorry Vikings. You could run for a buck and a half and two scores in this spot. If he gets 20-25 carries on Sunday and still doesn't get it done, then it's not gonna happen for him this year.

J
(Chicago Homer)Would agree on the Peterson comment, he has been with the bears for years and knows the system. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get more carries (than Benson) next week if jones cant go. I think the Benson deal is a combo of things.

1. Lack of experience

2. Thomas Jones is just better

3. Might go as far to say Peterson is better at this point. Not the same type of back but fast/similar to jones

The Bears brought in Ron Turner this year so aside from the time Benson missed holding out Peterson's tenure shouldn't give him that much of an advantage in this system. I can't see any way if Jones misses the game that Benson is not the feature back. Peterson is a nice player but the Bears spent a top 5 pick in the draft on Benson. It's bad enough that he hasn't been able to beat out Jones yet but if he can't even play ahead of Peterson than something is really wrong with this kid (personally I still think Benson is going to be a great RB). If TJ is out I see 20+ carries and 100+ yards for Benson this weekend.

RB Cedric Benson would likely be the next in line to start during Week 6 if Jones is unable to play. However, head coach Lovie Smith also noted he was pleased with how well RB Adrian Peterson has played.
Coachspeak.If Lovie doesn't praise Peterson, Benson will relax and figure he has the job sewn up.

RB Cedric Benson would likely be the next in line to start during Week 6 if Jones is unable to play. However, head coach Lovie Smith also noted he was pleased with how well RB Adrian Peterson has played.
Coachspeak.If Lovie doesn't praise Peterson, Benson will relax and figure he has the job sewn up.
:goodposting: Just like Caddy "could play" last Sunday. Game prep is a lot harder when you are not exactly sure who's in the backfield for your oppenent, no matter how scary (or not) they are.

My take on the situation as a Bears fan....Jones will sit this week, and Peterson will get about 15 carries, with Benson get about 5-8. Peterson will control 3rd downs. I don't think the Bears will be in this game without Jones and the Vi-Queens will tee off against the Bears.But the big problem that I see here, is that every team knows that when Benson comes into the game, he will run the ball. They know that he can't block so the LB and safeties come flying up looking for a tackle. There's no element of surprise when Benson is in the game. beacuse of this, unless Benson has shown enough improvement in practice, I think that Peterson is the short term fix.

If Jones sits, there's no compelling reason NOT to give Benson a one game "let's see what ya got, kid" game. In the long run, it's probably pretty sweet for both he and the Bears to do this.What will they gain putting Peterson in? They know what they have in him, for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread