What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julius Jones Update Thread (1 Viewer)

Peyton Marino

Footballguy
93 yards and a TD are good stats, no doubt. However, he needed 26 carries to do so, a mediocre 3.6 YPC. If you look back to last year he did the same thing. Lots of 25-30 carry games in which he put up low YPC averages. So what's the problem if he puts up the stats? Fantasy leagues don't count YPC. Well, the problem is that there's no way he can get 26 carries per game. Over a full season that averages out to 416 total carries. The man's liable to fall apart (literally) before he comes close to that total. So, are you worried at all about Jones this year?

He was up against a tough d, and watching the game, he looked great to me. In fact a couple of his runs or at least 1 was called back due to a penalty and it's hard to explain but Dallas playcalling didn't do him many favours as far as stats go.

93 yards and a TD are good stats, no doubt. However, he needed 26 carries to do so, a mediocre 3.6 YPC. If you look back to last year he did the same thing. Lots of 25-30 carry games in which he put up low YPC averages.

So what's the problem if he puts up the stats? Fantasy leagues don't count YPC. Well, the problem is that there's no way he can get 26 carries per game. Over a full season that averages out to 416 total carries. The man's liable to fall apart (literally) before he comes close to that total.

So, are you worried at all about Jones this year?
Nah, not worried. S.D has a good run defence.....and JJ proved he is tough and took on more then 1 guy at a time. No need to panic...he is ggod at making something out of nothing and Parcells will lean on him heavy this year.I am worried about Witten a little bit though....

First game, San Diego seemed to key on him, Dallas was always behind, and the guy still gets 26 touches, 93yrds, and a TD. Go cry me a river :cry: .I'm a Jones owner and I'm satisfied with this week's result.

Extrapolation at its finest. So McCardell is going to score 32 TD's? Jones will have games that he only carries 15 times, thus bringing down his average. Kevin Jones had a low YPC (3.3) and it took 25 carries to do it. 25 x 16 = 400. Same thing, he will have games with low carries bringing his average down.Edited for math error

Last edited by a moderator:
Extrapolation at its finest. So McCardell is going to score 32 TD's? Jones will have games that he only carries 15 times, thus bringing down his average.

Kevin Jones had a low YPC (3.3) and it took 25 carries to do it. 25 x 16 = 400. Same thing, he will have games with low carries bringing his average down.

Edited for math error
Exactly. And during those games when he has 15 carries if his average remains the same, he'll put up 54-60 yards. Thank you for making my point for me.

93 yards and a TD are good stats, no doubt. However, he needed 26 carries to do so, a mediocre 3.6 YPC. If you look back to last year he did the same thing. Lots of 25-30 carry games in which he put up low YPC averages.

So what's the problem if he puts up the stats? Fantasy leagues don't count YPC. Well, the problem is that there's no way he can get 26 carries per game. Over a full season that averages out to 416 total carries. The man's liable to fall apart (literally) before he comes close to that total.

SD's def keyed on JJ the entire game and in some cases, they were in the backfield before he could get his hands on the ball. If you're worried about today's performance................you're in for a long season.

93 yards and a TD are good stats, no doubt.  However, he needed 26 carries to do so, a mediocre 3.6 YPC.  If you look back to last year he did the same thing.  Lots of 25-30 carry games in which he put up low YPC averages.

So what's the problem if he puts up the stats?  Fantasy leagues don't count YPC.  Well, the problem is that there's no way he can get 26 carries per game.  Over a full season that averages out to 416 total carries.  The man's liable to fall apart (literally) before he comes close to that total. 

SD's def keyed on JJ the entire game and in some cases, they were in the backfield before he could get his hands on the ball. If you're worried about today's performance................you're in for a long season.
Well, not really worried since I have no reason to (he's on neither of my teams). I guess I just see him struggling this year and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.

For those of you saying the SDG D keyed on Jones all day long, what's to stop every other defense he plays from keying on him as well?

Ok. Well its only week one. Give the Chargers some time before you start judging their defense. Same for almost every other defense except for Buffalo and Baltimore.
I have no rock solid proof of this. I only stumbled upon it accidently when I was testing out a forecasting model for weekly stats. At any rate, the average points per game league wide increased as the year went on. Based on comments of several ex NFL players who say the game slows down after the midway point because the players are already beat up I could hypothesize that defenses in general are getting worse or at least that this phenomenon benefits the offense. I only happened to track this for one year, so I wonder if this is true in most years.Anyone want to track passing/rushing YPG and PPG and break it down into 4 game segments over the course of several seasons?

For those of you saying the SDG D keyed on Jones all day long, what's to stop every other defense he plays from keying on him as well?
93 yards X 16 games= 1500 yds and 16 TDS....great season!!!

He was up against a tough d, and watching the game, he looked great to me. In fact a couple of his runs or at least 1 was called back due to a penalty and it's hard to explain but Dallas playcalling didn't do him many favours as far as stats go.
44 yds were called back on the one drive with 5 flags in a row. He will be fine, I have him and i am not worried. SD is a good d...run wise that is

93 yards X 16 games= 1500 yds and 16 TDS....great season!!!
If you use those stats you also have to use the 26 carries. 26 carries X 16 games = 416 carries....he'll collapse before he gets 416 carries (as stated in original post).

Because bledsoe showed other teams today they can get it done thru the air

Peyton my manStep away from the ledge, you are a seasoned FF player, it's going to be OK.This is a view of somebody who is just looking at the stat sheet.. Just because he has a 3.9ypc does not mean he did not have a good game, He looked good with the rock, especially in the 2nd quarter..take a step away from the ledge.. it will be OK

He was up against a tough d, and watching the game, he looked great to me.  In fact a couple of his runs or at least 1 was called back due to a penalty and it's hard to explain but Dallas playcalling didn't do him many favours as far as stats go.
44 yds were called back on the one drive with 5 flags in a row. He will be fine, I have him and i am not worried. SD is a good d...run wise that is
He looked real strong and I don't have him. Wish I did.

BTW, Ids be far more worried about Kevin Jones then Julius...JMO.

Ok.  Well its only week one.  Give the Chargers some time before you start judging their defense.  Same for almost every other defense except for Buffalo and Baltimore.
I have no rock solid proof of this. I only stumbled upon it accidently when I was testing out a forecasting model for weekly stats. At any rate, the average points per game league wide increased as the year went on. Based on comments of several ex NFL players who say the game slows down after the midway point because the players are already beat up I could hypothesize that defenses in general are getting worse or at least that this phenomenon benefits the offense. I only happened to track this for one year, so I wonder if this is true in most years.Anyone want to track passing/rushing YPG and PPG and break it down into 4 game segments over the course of several seasons?
Defenses do get tired as the year goes on, I'd agree with that. However, Jones had some 26 carry - 80 yard games at the end of last year as well.

The chargers have one of the best run defenses in the league.
Based on last year?
Based on defenses usually looking better in the early going.
Ok. Well its only week one. Give the Chargers some time before you start judging their defense. Same for almost every other defense except for Buffalo and Baltimore.
exactly. it is only week 1. give him some time before you start judging his ypc

Peyton my man

Step away from the ledge, you are a seasoned FF player, it's going to be OK.

This is a view of somebody who is just looking at the stat sheet.. Just because he has a 3.9ypc does not mean he did not have a good game, He looked good with the rock, especially in the 2nd quarter..

take a step away from the ledge.. it will be OK
Lol. If he really looked good like some of the people in this thread say then there's no reason to worry. However, I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people in this thread are Jones owners.

Based on last year?
IIRC he had four sub 3.8 YPC games last year as well.

Based on last year?
IIRC he had four sub 3.8 YPC games last year as well.
Instead of comparing him to himself, why don't we bring up how many low YPC games all RBs in the top 12 had.

I guess I need to panic as I have JJ and Deuce who went 26 for 65. :bag: JJ looked great. He had burst, he followed his blockers, he will have some long runs this year.

Corey Dillon 23/63Lamont Jordan 18/70Kevin Jones 25/87Curtis Martin 20/57Ladanian Tomlinson 19/72Stephen Jackson 19/60Priest Holmes 22/85Dom Davis 14/48Deuce McAllister 26/64Fred Taylor 20/76are we worried about these guys too????

Corey Dillon 23/63

Lamont Jordan 18/70

Kevin Jones 25/87

Curtis Martin 20/57

Ladanian Tomlinson 19/72

Stephen Jackson 19/60

Priest Holmes 22/85

Dom Davis 14/48

Deuce McAllister 26/64

Fred Taylor 20/76

are we worried about these guys too????
Nah, they didn't average 27 carries per game last year and have a low cumulative YPC average like Jones did.

im fairly sure guys like alexander, tomlinson, holmes, martin etc have much, much more work over the past season the jones has. remember he missed half the season, why aren't you down on those guys who have a ton of toucheswatching the game, he looked great.well worth an early 2nd round pick.

im fairly sure guys like alexander, tomlinson, holmes, martin etc have much, much more work over the past season the jones has. remember he missed half the season, why aren't you down on those guys who have a ton of touches

watching the game, he looked great.

well worth an early 2nd round pick.
Alexander only got 14 touches for 73 yards. Holgrem always abandons the run when they fall behind.

im fairly sure guys like alexander, tomlinson, holmes, martin etc have much, much more work over the past season the jones has. remember he missed half the season, why aren't you down on those guys who have a ton of touches

watching the game, he looked great.

well worth an early 2nd round pick.
Alexander only got 14 touches for 73 yards. Holgrem always abandons the run when they fall behind.
that maybe true for today, but over the last year alexander has had more work then jj, saying jj will fall apart would mean nearly every other rb would be in the same position.

there seems to be an assumption because he had high carry game at 3.8 or sub-3.8, that every game will go down exactly like this.what if he has some games where he breaks off a long TD or two? what if the cowboys get a big lead in second half of some games and they rest him?in that scenario, his YPC would go up and his carries per game average would simultaneously go down. also, there could be a linkage between the two. in other words, if the first event happens, this increases the liklihood of the second happening, too.

Not worried at all. He showed great burst and willingness to bang it up the middle as well. I'm also glad that this whole A-Train is going to get the goalline carries talk was put to rest today. Jones got all the carries near the endzone. If he stays healthy, he's going to be a top 10-15 RB easy this year.

93 yards and a TD are good stats, no doubt.  However, he needed 26 carries to do so, a mediocre 3.6 YPC.  If you look back to last year he did the same thing.  Lots of 25-30 carry games in which he put up low YPC averages.

So what's the problem if he puts up the stats?  Fantasy leagues don't count YPC.  Well, the problem is that there's no way he can get 26 carries per game.  Over a full season that averages out to 416 total carries.  The man's liable to fall apart (literally) before he comes close to that total. 

Well, not really worried since I have no reason to (he's on neither of my teams). I guess I just see him struggling this year and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.
If you aren't worried, maybe you should change the thread title. "Anybody Else worried?"While you're at it, I think you should change your Football guy name to Devil's Advocate.

No, there is nothing to be worried about. If I were a Julius Jones owner I would only hope he would get 400+ carries. The man is a stud. He looked explosive today. On the carries that he wasn't getting hit in the backfield due to poor blocking/good defensive penetration, he was breaking tackles, juking defenders, and showing of his speed/quickness. This was a tough game against an arguably better team.

It's week one, there isn't ANY reason to worry, or in your case, not worry.

Drew Bledsoe throwing 3 TDs.
So... this just means the Chargers are weak against the pass.
Ugh, :rolleyes: Maybe it was because they were "Keyed on Jones all day long".Why don't you just cut Jones off your roster then. While you're at it, cut Peyton Manning too, he ONLY threw 2 TDs tonight with 254yrds.

Enough of the :fishing: trip for me.

Drew Bledsoe throwing 3 TDs.
So... this just means the Chargers are weak against the pass.
Ugh, :rolleyes: Maybe it was because they were "Keyed on Jones all day long".Why don't you just cut Jones off your roster then. While you're at it, cut Peyton Manning too, he ONLY threw 2 TDs tonight with 254yrds.

Enough of the :fishing: trip for me.
Good point. :thumbup: The funny thing is he has already said he doesn't even have Jones on any of his rosters. :D

Jones looked awful in his first game of the season. So awful in fact that I plan on starting him in every game on every one of my teams that I have him.

Notable Week One Backs Under 4.0 YPC

Priest Holmes - 22 carries, 85 yards (3.9 YPC)

LaMont Jordan - 18 carries, 70 yards (3.9 YPC)

Edgerrin James - 23 carries, 88 yards (3.8 YPC)

Fred Taylor - 20 carries, 76 yards (3.8 YPC)

LaDainian Tomlinson - 19 carries, 72 yards (3.8 YPC)

Julius Jones - 26 carries, 93 yards (3.6 YPC)

Kevin Jones - 25 carries, 87 yards (3.5 YPC)

Jamal Lewis - 15 carries, 51 yards (3.4 YPC)

Domanick Davis - 14 carries, 41 yards (3.4 YPC)

Steven Jackson - 19 carries, 60 yards (3.2 YPC)

Curtis Martin - 20 carries, 57 yards (2.9 YPC)

Corey Dillon - 23 carries, 63 yards (2.7 YPC)

Deuce McAllister - 26 carries, 64 yards (2.5 YPC)

As you can see, Julius wasn't alone in posting disappointing week one totals. I think that the poor stats might be a trend for guys like Dillon, Martin, and Davis (who I've been skeptical about all offseason), but I think it's safe to say that many of the guys listed above will go on to have good years.

I don't think you have to worry about JJ. If anything, I think you should be excited about today's game. The Cowboys played great. If Bledsoe can continue to run the offense effectively and the defense can keep games close then Jones is going to have a big year (if he stays healthy).

Well, not really worried since I have no reason to (he's on neither of my teams).
Then why does your subject line say "anybody else worried"? Just curious why you're focused so much on him if you don't really have any vested interest in him.

Users who are viewing this thread