What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most underrated Offensive Player in the NFL (1 Viewer)

Carter_Can_Fly

Footballguy
Jake Delhomme seems like an obvious choice for me. He continues to put up solid numbers every year but people always look elsewhere to praise the Panthers offense. Lasy year Mushy got all of the love. This year it is S. Smith. Heck even S. Davis is getting praised more then Jake. All of these guys deserve praise but, Delhomme continues to prove that he is a good offensive player that just does not get enough credit IMO. The ball he threw to S. Smith this past week for his TD was perfect. Delhomme is a good QB that just seems to get overlooked to much.

thats because Steven Davis has all the vulture TD's and Delhomme doesnt put up alot of 4 TD gamesif they passed at all near the goal line, he would and he would be more appreciatedLoop

I heard on the radio this morning since this time last year - The most TD passes1. Peyton Manning2. Jake Delhomme

I'll also put in a vote for Tiki ...
From a Peter King column:Since the start of 2004,

Barber:

games 24

carries 474

rush yds 2,278

YPC 4.8

Rush TDs 18

Rec 68

Rec yds 730

YPR 10.7

Rec TDs 3

Total Yds: 3,008

Tomlinson:

Games 24

Carries 531

rush yds 2,170

YPC 4.1

rush TDs 30

Rec 81

Rec yds 705

YPR 8.7

Rec TDs 3

Total Yds: 2,875

Barber:

games 24

carries 474

rush yds 2,278

YPC 4.8

Rush TDs 18

Rec 68

Rec yds 730

YPR 10.7

Rec TDs 3

Tomlinson:

Games 24

Carries 531

rush yds 2,170

YPC 4.1

rush TDs 30

Rec 81

Rec yds 705

YPR 8.7

Rec TDs 3

Of course, Tomlinson was hurt for the large part of last year.

Barber:

games 24

carries 474

rush yds 2,278

YPC 4.8

Rush TDs 18

Rec 68

Rec yds 730

YPR 10.7

Rec TDs 3

Tomlinson:

Games 24

Carries 531

rush yds 2,170

YPC 4.1

rush TDs 30

Rec 81

Rec yds 705

YPR 8.7

Rec TDs 3

And has double the TDs.......

Barber:

games 24

carries 474

rush yds 2,278

YPC 4.8

Rush TDs 18

Rec 68

Rec yds 730

YPR 10.7

Rec TDs 3

Tomlinson:

Games 24

Carries 531

rush yds 2,170

YPC 4.1

rush TDs 30

Rec 81

Rec yds 705

YPR 8.7

Rec TDs 3

And has double the TDs.......
I'm not saying that Tiki is as good a RB as Tomlinson, but the given the stat comparison combined with the fact that Tomlinson is regularly called "the best player in the NFL" and Tiki is often omitted from the list of top RBs, I would say Tiki is underrated.

Tiki Barber is the clear choice. Definately among the best 5 RBs in the NFL.Also, Domanick Davis is VERY underrated.

lots of good calls here. in addition to delhomme, barber, dunn, and rod smith, who were the first 4 to come to mind, i would add:Chris Chambers - still waiting for a QB that can unlock his potentialHines Ward - his contributions as a blocker and leader/tone setter on offense cant be understatedDerrick Mason - just gets the job done

Brett Favre.

No, seriously, it's definitely Tiki Barber.  And you are a racist if you think otherwise.
Would you like to explain this last statement? If I pick Delhomme over Tiki, I am a racist? :rolleyes: Dom Davis is also VERY underrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your team includes return yards, I would throw Wes Welker of Miami onto this list. Even with just 17/266/0 he is the #8 WR in one of my leagues because of his 975 combine return yards!

If your team includes return yards, I would throw Wes Welker of Miami. Even with just 17/266/0 he is the #8 WR in one of my leagues because of his 975 combine return yards!
I picked up Wes Welker and played him against the Chiefs because I knew he would get a lot of return opportunities. He didn't disappoint and ended up with like 30 points.

lots of good calls here. in addition to delhomme, barber, dunn, and rod smith, who were the first 4 to come to mind, i would add:

Chris Chambers - still waiting for a QB that can unlock his potential

Hines Ward - his contributions as a blocker and leader/tone setter on offense cant be understated

Derrick Mason - just gets the job done
agree with Mason. Disagree with the others.I think Ward used to be underrated, but he gets a lot of press now, especially for someone that never drew the #1 CB before this year.

I'm tired of the excuses with Chambers, and I think hes overrated. Top WRs don't need a great QB to succeed. Guys like TO and Moss would produce anywhere, with any QB. For some reason, Chambers has always gotten a pass for his completely average stats because his QBs havn't been great.

I agree with Barber, Dunn, Neal, and Delhomme. Good picks there.I'd also throw out Jimmy Smith, Jake Plummer, and Shaun Alexander.

Chambers, Barber and Rod Smith were the first players I thought of.

I'm tired of the excuses with Chambers, and I think hes overrated. Top WRs don't need a great QB to succeed. Guys like TO and Moss would produce anywhere, with any QB. For some reason, Chambers has always gotten a pass for his completely average stats because his QBs havn't been great.
No, you don't have to have a great QB, but you need at least a pretty good one. Look at how Eric Moulds' stats suffered when Losman was starting. Was he all of a sudden a bad receiver? Of course not. Every QB Chambers has ever had has been one of the 5 or 6 worst starting QB's in the NFL at the time.

I agree with Barber, Dunn, Neal, and Delhomme. Good picks there.

I'd also throw out Jimmy Smith, Jake Plummer, and Shaun Alexander.
I'm with you on Jimmy Smith. Jake Plummer has been vastly OVERrated his entire career, although he certainly has been solid this year. Alexander is clearly an elite fantasy RB, but I'd hardly consider him underrated from a real life perspective.

:confused:
The man puts up the best stats in football. How often do you hear him mentioned as the best player in football? How often do you even hear him mentioned as a top 10 player in the NFL?

Chambers, Barber and Rod Smith were the first players I thought of.

No, you don't have to have a great QB, but you need at least a pretty good one. Look at how Eric Moulds' stats suffered when Losman was starting. Was he all of a sudden a bad receiver? Of course not. Every QB Chambers has ever had has been one of the 5 or 6 worst starting QB's in the NFL at the time.
I agree that your QB can't be terrible. But a guy like Fiedler or Frerotte is not terrible at all. Putting up bad stats with Losman in his first year...understandable. Putting up bad stats year after year with decent veteran QBs....not good.

I'm with you on Jimmy Smith. Jake Plummer has been vastly OVERrated his entire career, although he certainly has been solid this year. Alexander is clearly an elite fantasy RB, but I'd hardly consider him underrated from a real life perspective.
I think that 90+% of people would agree with you here, which is why I think hes underrated. Priest Holmes has had a better o-line than SA imo. Emmitt smith had a better o-line imo. Yet these guys are still considered great, while SA is just considered a "product of the system."

The man puts up the best stats in football. How often do you hear him mentioned as the best player in football? How often do you even hear him mentioned as a top 10 player in the NFL?
He may have the best stats, but he is clearly overrated in real life due to his FF production.Top 10 RB in real life.... :yes:

Top 10 player... :no:

Shaun Alexander is not underrated, and this is coming from a hard core Seahawks fan.

He may have the best stats, but he is clearly overrated in real life due to his FF production.Top 10 RB in real life.... :yes:

Top 10 player... :no:

Shaun Alexander is not underrated, and this is coming from a hard core Seahawks fan.
So please explain to me why a guy like Priest Holmes is as good as his stats but SA isn't.SA is a former first round pick. He puts up amazing stats. I think hes underrated because he doesn't do any one thing great and isn't flashy. However, he does everything well. He has great vision, good moves, surprising speed, quick cuts, and can catch some passes too.

I really don't think Tiki is underrated. The fact that he is one of the first guys mentioned whenever a discussion like this takes place kind of proves that. You can only be considered underrated for so long before the secret's out.

I really don't think Tiki is underrated. The fact that he is one of the first guys mentioned whenever a discussion like this takes place kind of proves that. You can only be considered underrated for so long before the secret's out.
That makes him the new Hines Ward.

Tom BradyLeads league in passing... no one seems to care...I know he's not a caretaker QB anymore, but damn, he's putting up HUGE numbers in games this year. It's gonna be great to watch him shred the Colts tonight.

Galloway - Sad that we didn't get to see him healthy for most of his career.Honorable mention: Drew Bledsoe

Tom Brady

Leads league in passing... no one seems to care...

I know he's not a caretaker QB anymore, but damn, he's putting up HUGE numbers in games this year. It's gonna be great to watch him shred the Colts tonight.
No way is Tom Brady underrated. He is by and large considered one of the two best QBs in football... and gets compared to Joe Montana, one of the best ever, ALL the time.

Tom Brady

Leads league in passing... no one seems to care...

I know he's not a caretaker QB anymore, but damn, he's putting up HUGE numbers in games this year. It's gonna be great to watch him shred the Colts tonight.
:rolleyes: :fishing:

I disagree with Tiki Barber. In the fantasy world this guy may be undervalued slightly but he gets press time, he is on the cover of magazines, He gets T.V. time. I just don't agree that he is underrated any more.Dunn is like Tiki as well. He is not as much appreciated but he still gets T.V. time. Delhomme is still my favourite here. The guy threw for 3900 yards last year and 29 TD's and gets much less T.V. time then Palmer, Leftwich, Bulger etc........! I keep hearing S. Smith this and S. Smith that. Well last year Mushy put up wicked stats with Delhomme as well. Delhomme is a good QB that helps out his WR's a lot. Sure S. Smith is great, but Delhomme is underrated.

I disagree with Tiki Barber. In the fantasy world this guy may be undervalued slightly but he gets press time, he is on the cover of magazines,
The only magazine he was on, was FBG's and that is because FBG was trying to be different naming the "steal of the draft".When people name their Top 10 RBs, Barber is often omitted. If Barber isn't even considered in some people's list regarding their Top 10 RBs, it means he's underrated.

Another RB that is underrated...Westbrook.

Galloway - Sad that we didn't get to see him healthy for most of his career.

Honorable mention: Drew Bledsoe
Cheer for a team with Bledsoe behind center and you'll change that tune to overrated.

QB: Trent Green, D.BreesRB: D.Rhodes, M.MorrisWR:R.Smith, A.ToomerAlso I think A.Randle El is a very underrated all around player

Users who are viewing this thread