What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (4 Viewers)

jamny

Footballguy
Howard Stern sucks
He was never funny
Howard Stern is old and out of touch
His time has passed
I used to like him
I never got him

Just trying to get all the bashing out of the way.

The truth is, like him or not, Howard Stern shaped not only radio, but entertainment as we know it today.
Anyone that knows what radio was like before Howard realizes that it was nothing more than newsradio or musicjocks.
Anyone that heard Howard in the early days noticed that this was something different. It was like nothing else on the air.
I remember early on, when he was forced to play music, that I actually couldn't wait for the song to end so the show would continue.
I was working as a plumbers helper, and the mechanic was a big fan. We would wait for the commercial before we would go into the house and hope to finish the job before the commercial break ended.

Anyone that listened in those days knew that this was something special.

That said, 20 years later, I will say Howard Stern is the greatest entertainer in my lifetime. Who else could keep fans interest 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, for this long. Some people seem to like him, and then turn on him. My guess is that he insulted them somehow along the way
Me, I'll be listening to him as long as he's on the air.
GB Howard, for 20 years of great entertainment.
I'll be there on Day 1 of Sirius

Bashers welcome
At this point, you'll never get it.

For the fans:

http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1HADB5O...002QI27P29MQLJE

Last edited by a moderator:
The truth is, like him or not, Howard Stern shaped not only radio, but entertainment as we know it today.
How? I always hear people say this, but I don't get it.I'm not a Stern hater, or lover, I think he's aight. But I don't get the whole "he changed entertainment" stuff.I'm willing to listen.

"I used to be a big fan." I've sort of grown away from him. On the rare occasions when I listen to him now I simply can't deal with the non-stop anti-FTC, anti-company, etc. rants. Dude, you've said it 12 billion times already. Move on and go back to being funny.

he realized that hot lesbians kissing and touching eachother was entertaining, even if you couldnt see it. that gets a big :thumbup: in my book.o yeah, jokes about people's private parts are funny as well. Seriously, i think the show has fallen off in the last few years, but howard is still a funny guy. I think the move to satelite is gonna jumpstart the show. Its just a shame he's going to lose a huge percentage of his audience in the process.

"I used to be a big fan." I've sort of grown away from him. On the rare occasions when I listen to him now I simply can't deal with the non-stop anti-FTC, anti-company, etc. rants. Dude, you've said it 12 billion times already. Move on and go back to being funny.
That's pretty much what he's doing with the move to Sirius, but it's been too long since he's been funny for me to want to pay for a satellite service.

I love his show, and it's too bad he's moving to Sirius because I don't have it. I'll miss listening to him on the rare mornings I'm driving in my car.

Howard is a genius....I still think he is hilarious...I already have my sirius...Ive bought stock in Sirius...I will be there Day 1...and can hardly wait! If you dont get it by now....you never will...unless of course you pay for sirius and see the new Stern, just like the old Stern. There is not a better interviewer in the world. Hes not an easy interview which is what makes him great. He finds out what we all what to know and askes the questions no one else would dare to ask. I agree he has been a lot weaker lately than a few years ago, but that is not his fault. He has been restricted more than any other entertainer in the history of any medium. Once he gets to Sirius he will once again change the face of radio. If you dont have Sirius now but are at all a fan of Stern, I guarantee you will be buy Sirius within the next two years. We are willing to pay 40-60 bucks a tank for gas, but cant spare 12 bucks a month for quality radio?? This my friends will change. Satelite radio is the future and Howard will be the main reason why.Everything O&A does was once done by Howard....and a lot better I might add.The most recent theft of Howards influcence is that "Everyone Hates Chris" show. Howard has been talking about his "Howard Stern: The High School Years" for years. Chris was fortunte enough to be free to get the show going...mainly due to his lack of work.His influences are endless...

:rolleyes: I'm guessing you think Vick has revolutionized the QB position also.....
I'll take "Comparing Apples to Oranges" for $100, Alex.edited because I *still* can't spell when I'm sleep-deprived and grouchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont get it by now....you never will...
I'm always amused when I hear the old "you just don't get it" argument. I hear this from the Jim Rome "clones" all the time. Okay, for the last time......I "get" it, I just think it's stupid and I'm not entertained by it.

Just purchased a Sirius XACT replay from Comp USA -small sleek designvery good FM transmittersticks on bottom of windshieldnice small remote45 minute pause featureOnly $75 with rebate (plus subscription fee)Love it - big Howard fan and can't wait to hear him on the true free radio. But for all the haters - its not just about Howie. Love my commercial free music (every type you can think of and good play lists). NFL games and NFL channel is sweet. Raw Dog channel - uncensored stand up and Jim BreuerPlus Stern Show and Howard 100 ("no more bullsh...)Its a great product and not just for Stern. However - I think the Stern show on Sirius will be much funnier than he has been. No more #####ing about mgt and the FCC! Can't wait for January!!!

Just purchased a Sirius XACT replay from Comp USA -

small sleek design

very good FM transmitter

sticks on bottom of windshield

nice small remote

45 minute pause feature

Only $75 with rebate (plus subscription fee)

Love it - big Howard fan and can't wait to hear him on the true free radio. But for all the haters - its not just about Howie.

Love my commercial free music (every type you can think of and good play lists).

NFL games and NFL channel is sweet.

Raw Dog channel - uncensored stand up and Jim Breuer

Plus Stern Show and Howard 100 ("no more bullsh...)

Its a great product and not just for Stern. However - I think the Stern show on Sirius will be much funnier than he has been. No more #####ing about mgt and the FCC! Can't wait for January!!!
Any reason in particular you went with the Xact over the sportster? Not sure which one to get

Just purchased a Sirius XACT replay from Comp USA -

small sleek design

very good FM transmitter

sticks on bottom of windshield

nice small remote

45 minute pause feature

Only $75 with rebate (plus subscription fee)

Love it - big Howard fan and can't wait to hear him on the true free radio.  But for all the haters - its not just about Howie. 

Love my commercial free music (every type you can think of and good play lists). 

NFL games and NFL channel is sweet.

Raw Dog channel - uncensored stand up and Jim Breuer

Plus Stern Show and Howard 100 ("no more bullsh...)

Its a great product and not just for Stern.  However - I think the Stern show on Sirius will be much funnier than he has been.  No more #####ing about mgt and the FCC! Can't wait for January!!!
Any reason in particular you went with the Xact over the sportster? Not sure which one to get
My research showed the Xact was just as good as the Sportster and Starmate. The others were sold out so I went with this - there is very limited supply out there so take what you can get.

He's been hitting the talk show circuit a lot lately.Anyone catch him on O'Reilly last night??? It was great. Two huge egos in one room is always interesting. Part 2 is on tonight.recap:

Howard Stern & Bill O'ReillyO'Reilly interviewed Howard Stern tonight in the first section of a three part interview. Tonight's interview was all about Howard Stern's earning power and his move to Sirius. O'Reilly tried to diminish both Stern and Satellite Radio but Stern held his own. 12/7/05O'Reilly started the interview asking Stern about being paid 500 million bucks and Stern responded , "I'm worth every penny." When Stern said that the 500 million figure wasn't right, O'Reilly kept pumping him for amounts. Stern pounced on O'Reilly with,"Look at you. You're so jealous." Then Stern asked him about all the " chachkis" he sells adding, "I know you do it for charity."O'Reilly couldn't figure out how Sirius could make a profit from Stern but Stern was quick. "Is it my problem?" Then he quieted O'Reilly with Sirius growth this year from 600,000 subscribers to 3.1 million. Stern claimed that all the regulations on FM and AM has watered down the programing which will drive people to Satellite. O'Reilly barked,"We'll see."At this point O'Reilly was getting annoyed so he asked, "What are you gonna do? Curse every two minutes?"Stern making fun of him returned with " Calm down!" Then he told him to sit back or he'd slap him around. O'Reilly realized that he better take the joke and a half chuckle emerged.Stern tried, at this point to explain what he was trying to express about his work. Using Chris Rock as an example , Stern said that Rock's first special was brilliant but would have been ruined if it had aired on a restrictive network.He tried to get O'Reilly to see that he wanted to do "revolutionary" work and claimed that he was tired of being "harnessed".O'Reilly didn't want to hear Stern asking again " More four letter words combined with...?"Stern tried again to explain that the regulations are stopping him from doing the fun bits that may seem sophmoric but he and his viewers like. He mentioned a Bathroom Olympics bit where he had races to see who could go to the bathroom faster. Now, he claimed, he's not allowed to say bathroom.When O'Reilly simplified the meaning of his statement into wanting to do "More four letter words." Stern got mad but kept his joking tone telling Bill, "Don't be a wise ###!"comment: O'Reilly's message to Stern was clear and insulting. He was saying you're overpaid and you're only popular because you use 4 letter words. O'Reilly was obviously threatened by Stern and Sirius. Despite O'Reilly's close minded and rude demeanor, Stern came off looking serious, sane and dedicated. Let's see what happens in Part 2.

It's put up or shut up time for Howard and co. If you're interested enough to think about paying for his show, this is the time to do it. I'm convinced he's been hoarding some pretty rich ideas for the last year or so and will come out with guns blazing.

Just got my Sirius installed in my car. Listened to Howard 100 almost the whole way home. Although Hard Attack is pre-set #2. :headbang:With all the content, I know for sure that I'm gonna love Sirius.Can't wait for Friday so Howard can have full access to his channels. I was tempted to take off work and head into Manhattan since it's so dead at work this time of year. I still might.

Just got my Sirius installed in my car. Listened to Howard 100 almost the whole way home. Although Hard Attack is pre-set #2. :headbang:

With all the content, I know for sure that I'm gonna love Sirius.

Can't wait for Friday so Howard can have full access to his channels. I was tempted to take off work and head into Manhattan since it's so dead at work this time of year. I still might.
Doesn't the full access start after the 1st of the year?

Just got my Sirius installed in my car. Listened to Howard 100 almost the whole way home. Although Hard Attack is pre-set #2.  :headbang:

Can't wait for Friday so Howard can have full access to his channels. I was tempted to take off work and head into Manhattan since it's so dead at work this time of year. I still might.
I'm not positive. I thought his contract ends Friday and he would be able to go live on Sirius anytime after that. You might be right though. I did hear that after Friday Sirius will be able to use his likeness in any advertising.

And I'm gonna have to set a VCR tape to record Jackie on the show. I don't want to miss it. I'll probably do the same for Friday in since I never get to hear the whole show and I'm sure that's one I'll want to hear all of.

I don't know but his and Arties sound like they'll be good. Artie had to talk to his lawyer to make sure about Statute of Limitations.I could see Garys being a gay story. :lmao: I wish KRock would let them announce before leaving.I also hope they let Howard take his material with him as some kind of goodbye gift.What's the difference. I don't think they can do anything with it.

P.S.  Jackie is back tomorrow!!  :excited:
I haven't been listening.Jackie's coming back?

Is it for a day or for good?

Is Artie leaving?
Howard had been having old friends come in to say goodbye.KC was in today. Jackie is in tomorrow. It should be great.

I don't know but his and Arties sound like they'll be good.

Artie had to talk to his lawyer to make sure about Statute of Limitations.

I could see Garys being a gay story. :lmao:

I wish KRock would let them announce before leaving.

I also hope they let Howard take his material with him as some kind of goodbye gift.

What's the difference. I don't think they can do anything with it.
I think Viacom won't release the material because they can use it as a bargaining chip to lure Howard back if he flops on satellite. It's not a big bargaining chip but I wouldn't give it up if I was Viacom either.

I don't listen but i heasr a promo for "ROVER" here in Detroit.. some schmuck there lets 'em take a gas powered weed whip to his leg?? to quote Stan "that's some real @#$%ed up Stuff there"

Jackie segment was one of the best Stern show moments Ive ever heard, in the 15+ years Ive been listening.Hearing Howard, Fred, Jackie, Gary and Robin reminisce for about 40 minutes was just awesome. You could just tell Artie didnt want to even talk during it, he just wanted to be a fan again. The chemistry between that group was still there, and Jackie was on point as usual

If you all think Stern is good you are going to love Bubba The Love Sponge.I use to listen to him in Tampa, but he got kicked off for pushing the limits.I want to get Sirius just to listen to him, he is going to be on Stern 100

Jackie segment was one of the best Stern show moments Ive ever heard, in the 15+ years Ive been listening.

Hearing Howard, Fred, Jackie, Gary and Robin reminisce for about 40 minutes was just awesome. You could just tell Artie didnt want to even talk during it, he just wanted to be a fan again.

The chemistry between that group was still there, and Jackie was on point as usual
:goodposting: Even when Artie did talk, it was only to say that he was a huge fan of Jackie.

I am one of the people that thought the show hasn't been the same since Jackie left. Setting aside his on-air personality, his writing was one of the things that made the show so great. It was great to hear him back on again, and I loved the old clips. The clip of him reading from Robin's book had me :lmao:

That show was a glimpse into the greatness of the past.Jackie was brilliant because of his constant antagonism and his inability to realize that instead of complaining all the time, he should have been thanking his lucky stars for that gig.Artie knows how lucky he is and just kisses everybody's ### all day while never stirring anything up and laughing more loudly at his own stupid jokes than Jackie ever did.

How? I always hear people say this, but I don't get it.I'm not a Stern hater, or lover, I think he's aight. But I don't get the whole "he changed entertainment" stuff.

I'm willing to listen.
almost every talk show i listen to now has adopted his "less produced" formatcasual talking while searching for stuff...interuptions...involving the producer of the show, etc, etc.

Just got my Sirius installed in my car. Listened to Howard 100 almost the whole way home. Although Hard Attack is pre-set #2.  :headbang:

I'm not positive. I thought his contract ends Friday and he would be able to go live on Sirius anytime after that. You might be right though. I did hear that after Friday Sirius will be able to use his likeness in any advertising.

And I'm gonna have to set a VCR tape to record Jackie on the show. I don't want to miss it. I'll probably do the same for Friday in since I never get to hear the whole show and I'm sure that's one I'll want to hear all of.
January 9th is Howard's first show on Sirius...The Sirius website has a countdown on this page.

I only caught a few minutes this morning, but was surprised at how modest Jackie was about not being on the show. They asked him if he'd be making the move to Sirius and he said he gets asked that all the time and basically said that Howard already has a very good short stop. He doesn't need another. Plus, he doesn't like to get up that early in the morning.

It really was a great moment in the shows history. It was great to hear them all reminisce (sp?) about the past. and Tribe is dead-on about Artie getting to sit back and be a fan again. Jackie had a great line to Artie when he asked him what they're paying him for since he really did nothing during the segment.Jackie had been unsure of what the reaction would be. He thought he'd get roasted on the show, but it's clear that they were having a great time. He really was as gracious and humble as can be, but still busted balls like hell to Gary. Got some inside stuff to about things that went on back in the day. Great interview. I suspect it will lead to some more appearances and maybe some collaboration in the future. One last show!

I can't speak to the writing aspect but I get many more laughs out of Artie than I ever did out of Jackie.I won't be shelling out for Sirius but I'd like to find out the revelations if someone would be kind enough to post them on the 9th.

It really was a great moment in the shows history. It was great to hear them all reminisce (sp?) about the past.

and Tribe is dead-on about Artie getting to sit back and be a fan again. Jackie had a great line to Artie when he asked him what they're paying him for since he really did nothing during the segment.

Jackie had been unsure of what the reaction would be. He thought he'd get roasted on the show, but it's clear that they were having a great time. He really was as gracious and humble as can be, but still busted balls like hell to Gary. Got some inside stuff to about things that went on back in the day.

Great interview. I suspect it will lead to some more appearances and maybe some collaboration in the future.

One last show!
I don't know, Jackie always kinda annoyed me, especially near the end of his time there. I much prefer Artie.Artie's Babe the Pig story almost made me wet myself.

The Opie and Anthony Army will o\/\/n Stern tomorrow.
I've always liked O&A and hated when they got taken off the air. Since being able to hear them on DirecTV, I'm really surprised how much they focus on Howard. I thought they were better than that.I doubt their fans will have any effect on the festivities today.

Users who are viewing this thread