What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (5 Viewers)

I think a lot of that change was also driven by current zeitgeist and things like the #metoo movement -- Howard's whole history and career as a shock jock was built upon and revolved around things that, in today's light, can be seen in a very derogatory, exploitative lens in terms of attitudes towards women, etc.

We can argue about whether certain elements of the overall shift is too PC or not, but at end of the day, with celebrities being held to task for a single tweet years ago, this change is simply really sound risk/legal mitigation. Maturation with age is definitely a part of it as well.
wait, having Dr Sal Callabro offer free implants, having Ralph with a laser pointer point out negative flaws and throwing ham on girls and telling girls to come to the studio to get topless can be viewed in a negative light

Not so sure I agree.  Don’t think it’s a conscious decision.  Age has a way of mellowing one out.  That fire just doesn’t burn as hot.  
He brought in someone to oversee the whole operation.  Make it more tame.  Was completely conscious.

Yeah, the whole "only stuff Howard likes to do is ok" schtick is really annoying.

"What kind of idiot plays golf for four hours? Walking around hitting a stupid ball...."

"And then I painted all day and watched TV shows on my iPad. Best day ever"

I do take pleasure in the fact that he has to deal with packing his multi million dollar apartment with 50 cats and a litter box in every room just to keep his trophy wife satisfied. Even though he likes the charity aspect, this has to just be insanely annoying to deal with on a daily basis

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Sirius for years just bc of Howard. Hadn’t listened for many months until yesterday. If it’s not an interview with someone I’m interested in, I have no desire to hear him anymore. I actually prefer days it isn’t live so I have a better chance at a good interview. 

Yeah, the whole "only stuff Howard likes to do is ok" schtick is really annoying.

"What kind of idiot plays golf for four hours? Walking around hitting a stupid ball...."

"And then I painted all day and watched TV shows on my iPad. Best day ever"

I do take pleasure in the fact that he has to deal with packing his multi million dollar apartment with 50 cats and a litter box in every room just to keep his trophy wife satisfied. Even though he likes the charity aspect, this has to just be insanely annoying to deal with on a daily basis
It's a small price to pay for not having another kid

:shrug:  The show isn't as good as it once was but I still listen every day and enjoy it. It'll suck when he retires, imo. My current favorite is when The Hulk (Eric Andre, I believe) calls in.

I think he does great interviews but sometimes he can be annoying in how he needs to pump out questions and sometimes barely listens to the answers before moving on to the next question. I actually skip over a lot of the interviews because I don't care about the people for the most part. I still like the staff stuff and just general conversations. I like when they bring the crew into the studio. Not looking forward to all the book promotion stuff. I've never liked when he hypes up his big projects but I don't think he'll go overboard with the book.

It's interesting how he is becoming a hermit again. That's what caused the end of his first marriage. Beth has her own life so maybe it won't be so bad this time but he is falling into the same rut it seems. He really is messed up inside. It's sad that he hasn't learned to enjoy life already. I can't imagine being so miserable. Someone else mentioned that he's becoming more crotchety but I don't think he's really changed. he's always hated people as much as he tries not to.

to cut against the grain here, i don't mind stern now as much as a lot of other people. Sometimes the show lags or isn't very good, or the interviewee isn't that interesting, and there are plenty of other options. Maybe it's nostalgia, or I'm getting old too, I dunno.

:shrug:  The show isn't as good as it once was but I still listen every day and enjoy it. It'll suck when he retires, imo. My current favorite is when The Hulk (Eric Andre, I believe) calls in.

I think he does great interviews but sometimes he can be annoying in how he needs to pump out questions and sometimes barely listens to the answers before moving on to the next question. I actually skip over a lot of the interviews because I don't care about the people for the most part. I still like the staff stuff and just general conversations. I like when they bring the crew into the studio. Not looking forward to all the book promotion stuff. I've never liked when he hypes up his big projects but I don't think he'll go overboard with the book.

It's interesting how he is becoming a hermit again. That's what caused the end of his first marriage. Beth has her own life so maybe it won't be so bad this time but he is falling into the same rut it seems. He really is messed up inside. It's sad that he hasn't learned to enjoy life already. I can't imagine being so miserable. Someone else mentioned that he's becoming more crotchety but I don't think he's really changed. he's always hated people as much as he tries not to.
I don’t think it’s eric Andre.  There is a writer who sounds almost just like Eric Andre (Mike something?). The guy who does jeffs lump.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Trainor

he can be annoying in how he needs to pump out questions and sometimes barely listens to the answers before moving on to the next question.
This. Lot of talk in this thread about what a great interviewer he is, but this has always held me back in thinking that. Asking good, thoughtful, tough, interesting questions? Yes. Knowing how/when to let the interviewee answer in length, and when to steer them to a different question, was never something he was good at. Probably a blessing he didn't move to a podcast at his last renewal. 

This. Lot of talk in this thread about what a great interviewer he is, but this has always held me back in thinking that. Asking good, thoughtful, tough, interesting questions? Yes. Knowing how/when to let the interviewee answer in length, and when to steer them to a different question, was never something he was good at. Probably a blessing he didn't move to a podcast at his last renewal. 
Yes it is his blessing and his curse. He rapid fires some questions at celebs and throws them off of their past answers that they have burned into they brain and they start just speaking during the interview.

But in saying that, he cuts off celebs when they are giving long answers to questions because he has this boredom meter in his head and he feels that their long answers have people tuning out.

Yes it is his blessing and his curse. He rapid fires some questions at celebs and throws them off of their past answers that they have burned into they brain and they start just speaking during the interview.

But in saying that, he cuts off celebs when they are giving long answers to questions because he has this boredom meter in his head and he feels that their long answers have people tuning out.
I wish this boredom meter would go off when he spending hours #####ing and moaning about something.  

Howard caught admitting that the show is in trouble: Audio Clip / Transcript Below 

It's The Howard Stern Show I work for. How do we get the word out? So set up a fake Twitter account. Become ten different people, I don't give a ####. And then one week when our core team says to you, "We want to get Lady Gaga on the show", they announce it on Moldred and all of a sudden Lady Gaga - I'm telling you every celebrity reads their Twitter (unintelligible). Every celebrity starts getting just random things from fans, "Hey! When are you gonna do the Howard Stern show? We want you on the show." And you're getting all this publicity material and you're getting, and they're getting bombarded. And it works. Said before a Jehova witness they bang on the door. We gotta bang on people's doors. They're forgetting about us. And I'm pissed. Ok. So we're gonna have a core team. It's gonna be about six or seven people who are gonna head this up. They're going to meet weekly. But everyone in this room I'm telling you is responsible for involvement, pitching guests, and strategizing. It's up to us. If we don't do this, ugh, I think we're in trouble.

Still a big Howard fan but its just not the same with the empty Artie chair....after seeing Artie implode I dont question why he cut him off but the show just isnt the same with just Robin/Howard....I get bored without someone like Kimmel sitting in for a few hrs....

Also I know Howar "evolved" and Im ok with that but the best of has become an embarrassment.  They play way to little from the golden age and even sanitize it....I would love if Howard 101 would just start with show 1 and play the entire uncensored show in its entirety up until today one after the other like the Simpsons did a few yrs back.....  Would be months of great entertainment - he is probably afraid he'll lose his celeb and PC friends now so doubt that will ever happen.  

The past week was the 20th anniversary of the Gary Apology Tape. I can remember hearing it first on the radio which was hilarious, but then seeing it on the E! Channel took it to another level.

Hello....hello....hello.

I lost my lover and I lost my best friend. You gained a lover and a best friend.

Fa-fa math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrA2Xm1ExfE&t=64s

There's a Gary doppleganer at a local watering hole that I mess with about every 6 months. I go up to him and tell him how much I love the show and ask for a picture and an autograph. The guy is always so nice and always participates. I can barely keep from laughing as he always has this confused look on his face when it's going down. Two years ago I talked to one of his friends about it and found out he has no idea who Howard Stern or Gary even are. Lol, I must have like 8 autographs from this guy

The past week was the 20th anniversary of the Gary Apology Tape. I can remember hearing it first on the radio which was hilarious, but then seeing it on the E! Channel took it to another level.

Hello....hello....hello.

I lost my lover and I lost my best friend. You gained a lover and a best friend.

Fa-fa math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrA2Xm1ExfE&t=64s
20 years already? This was like a Challenger Explosion or 911 moment for me. Those 20 years flew by. 

Greatest whack packer. IMO, show started going downhill once ETM died.
Oh 100% we've talked about it extensively in here. ETM was the king of the whackpack and a part of the best radio era of all time as far as Stern goes. 

BTW you can find his entire compendium for download or on youtube in order from beginning to end. It lasts like 100 hours but I listen to it on repeat all the time during the work day

Eric, Hank and Beatlejuice are the no-doubt top 3 wack packers.

The 4th spot on Mt. Rushmore is open for debate. Not sure who i'd give it to.

I LOVE Sour Shoes but I kinda think he doesn't quite qualify. He knows what he's doing and he's a legit talent.

If you havent scene the Howard presentation video that leaked from 2013 u should check it out.  Eye-opening.

Howard always been an ###, what makes him funny, but geez it is bad.

Whole presentation is basically a indictment of Gary.  A blueprint for how the show "evolved" in past five years.

The presentation is high school senior type quality.  Embarrassing.

If you havent scene the Howard presentation video that leaked from 2013 u should check it out.  Eye-opening.

Whole presentation is basically a indictment of Gary.  A blueprint for how the show "evolved" in past five years.

did you copy and paste this from dawgshed?

Eric, Hank and Beatlejuice are the no-doubt top 3 wack packers.

The 4th spot on Mt. Rushmore is open for debate. Not sure who i'd give it to.

I LOVE Sour Shoes but I kinda think he doesn't quite qualify. He knows what he's doing and he's a legit talent.
Absolutely agree with the top 3.  But Sour is the clear 4.  He may know what he’s doing but he’s 40+ years old lives at home, baby talks primarily and was playing music on a street corner when Howard met him for the first time.   Dude is straight wack pack.   

That was brutal.  Has he ever commented on that?

Agree to disagree.  I'll let you guess who my vote goes to.

Also, the show began to die when Artie left.
I admit I was a big Artie fan....brought a good dynamic and energy to the show....I think it could have stayed on the same level if they replaced Artie or had a constant rotation of comedians in his chair.....show is so much better when Kimmel or someone is sitting in.....just bores me when its just Howard and Robin at this point....I check in once in a while but not the every day listen like the old JAckie/Artie days

I admit I was a big Artie fan....brought a good dynamic and energy to the show....I think it could have stayed on the same level if they replaced Artie or had a constant rotation of comedians in his chair.....show is so much better when Kimmel or someone is sitting in.....just bores me when its just Howard and Robin at this point....I check in once in a while but not the every day listen like the old JAckie/Artie days
Agree with all this.  I don't know why he never filled the Artie seat.  Weeks with Kimmel's input, or even times when Shuli would camp out, make the show much better.  

The Sirius radio in my car broke so I haven't listened to him in a few weeks.  I don't miss the Stern show at all whereas five years ago I was praying he'd re-sign.

If you have a chance listen to the Katelyn update on her weekend away from Brent.  The swingers update is gold.  Even Robin was killing it.

I think Brent was telling the truth and that girl was lying because she was pissed off about being stood up. I also don't think that marriage will last but what do I know. It's a bizarre lifestyle that I'll never understand.

I think Brent was telling the truth and that girl was lying because she was pissed off about being stood up. I also don't think that marriage will last but what do I know. It's a bizarre lifestyle that I'll never understand.
yeah, zero chance of it lasting.

Users who are viewing this thread