What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (4 Viewers)

If it's not working out, why did terrestrial buy the rights to broadcast them? And why have they now been syndicated to over a dozen major markets? I can understand if you don't think they're funny, but their careers are extremely successful right now.
DLR was syndicated too. :mellow: One question for the o and a guy's. If Stern went back to normal radio, would you consider his Sirius stint a failure?
I don't consider his Sirius stint a failure now. He still has a hardcore fan base and apparently, they are happy with the show. But he now reaches barely 1/10th of the audience, O&A have the bigger audience like it or not (the numbers don't lie), and he's not the "pioneer of satellite radio" he tells everyone he is. He's doing what he wants now, but he's following in O&A's footsteps (see the uncensored Pat O'Brien tapes that they played 8 months before his "exclusive").And I ask the question back to you: Why do hardcore Stern fans (and Stern) insist on O&A being "failures" when EVERYTHING is going their way right now? And that's a serious question. Forget your O&A bias. If all of us were 1/10th the failures these guys are now, we would all be very lucky.

I work in radio in the tri-state area, have for the last 10 yrs. The dopey and anthony thing has not gone well for anybody, however it is an improvement over diamond Dave.And they were pushed on Letterman, if you dont think so you are just in denial
Dude, you could be the most delusional person on the planet. No joke. "not gone well for anybody"? "pushed on Letterman"? Are you f'n insane?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
And I ask the question back to you: Why do hardcore Stern fans (and Stern) insist on O&A being "failures" when EVERYTHING is going their way right now? And that's a serious question. Forget your O&A bias. If all of us were 1/10th the failures these guys are now, we would all be very lucky.
Hate to break it to ya man, and this has nothing to do with me not knowing who they are and being annoyed by you, but as someone who has worked in tri-state area radio for the last 10 yrs, this venture has not worked out very well for anybody involved

And I ask the question back to you: Why do hardcore Stern fans (and Stern) insist on O&A being "failures" when EVERYTHING is going their way right now? And that's a serious question. Forget your O&A bias. If all of us were 1/10th the failures these guys are now, we would all be very lucky.
Hate to break it to ya man, and this has nothing to do with me not knowing who they are and being annoyed by you, but as someone who has worked in tri-state area radio for the last 10 yrs, this venture has not worked out very well for anybody involved
He's a beef stew!

Hmmm...their ratings are great. They get new markets every day. Their comedy tour (with the final show tonight in Cleveland) has been a rousing success (culminating in one of the most popular YouTube videos to date, the Bill Burr vs. Philly rant). They have a national TV commercial. Hugh Panero, the CEO of XM, said O&A are directly responsible for a huge base of "new" subscribers (which means that people enjoy the FreeFM show enough to pay for the uncensored part of the show). They get fantastic guests on a daily basis.Not sure what role you have in radio, but apparently, they keep you in a cube that turns a blind eye to the truth. Either that, or CBS has a really weird way of hiding their failures.

[so if they were pushed on Letterman, it's safe to assume they won't be appearing again on Letterman's show anytime soon?

Hmmm...their ratings are great. They get new markets every day. Their comedy tour (with the final show tonight in Cleveland) has been a rousing success (culminating in one of the most popular YouTube videos to date, the Bill Burr vs. Philly rant). They have a national TV commercial. Hugh Panero, the CEO of XM, said O&A are directly responsible for a huge base of "new" subscribers (which means that people enjoy the FreeFM show enough to pay for the uncensored part of the show). They get fantastic guests on a daily basis.Not sure what role you have in radio, but apparently, they keep you in a cube that turns a blind eye to the truth. Either that, or CBS has a really weird way of hiding their failures.
I am a west coaster and have never heard of opie and andy, this is not schtick. I guess that they are not out here on the west coast? :confused: or maybe they are just not up in the bay area or so cal. That alone means they are not syndicated to 2 of the larger west coast markets which to me means they are nowhere near Howards kingdom.

I am a west coaster and have never heard of opie and andy, this is not schtick. I guess that they are not out here on the west coast? :confused: or maybe they are just not up in the bay area or so cal. That alone means they are not syndicated to 2 of the larger west coast markets which to me means they are nowhere near Howards kingdom.
They were syndicated to San Fran a few weeks ago. Syndication isn't a fast process. You think Stern did it overnight? O&A were nationally syndicated before. They have a proven product. The only thing they don't have is overwhelming trust that they won't screw up again.

And I ask the question back to you: Why do hardcore Stern fans (and Stern) insist on O&A being "failures" when EVERYTHING is going their way right now?
I dont care. Most Stern fans don't care. You are bringing o and a stuff into a Stern thread. We are not going out and stalking you about your boys. BTW, I didnt ask if he was a failure now. I asked if he went back to regular radio, would he be a failure then?

If it's not working out, why did terrestrial buy the rights to broadcast them? And why have they now been syndicated to over a dozen major markets? I can understand if you don't think they're funny, but their careers are extremely successful right now.
DLR was syndicated too. :mellow: One question for the o and a guy's. If Stern went back to normal radio, would you consider his Sirius stint a failure?
For Stern, or for Sirius?
Stern.

They were syndicated to San Fran a few weeks ago. Syndication isn't a fast process. You think Stern did it overnight? O&A were nationally syndicated before. They have a proven product. The only thing they don't have is overwhelming trust that they won't screw up again.
O&A have never been names on the west coast and they still are not, you can try and pimp them all you want but the fact is they are not on a big name station out here. Hell even Adam Carolla is on a station out here. :sick:

GiantsRule said:
RBM said:
GiantsRule said:
Where do I start?1 Ratings are FAR from great, unless you have extremely low standards. Poor KRock will never, ever see ratings like they did when they had the King2 Id almost gurantee that most people that dont listen loyally, had no idea they had a comedy tour3 Youtube? You gotta be kiddin me4 Nat'l tv spot? For what? Who would even know?5 XM getting new subscribers? You sure you want to break that one out man? :lmao: 6 Name some of these "fantastic guests"....Cant wait to hear all these a-list names you roll off. Im sure everyone in tv and film is running to the opie and anthony show to promote their latest project. You love the show, you love these guys, thats cool...enjoy. But dont come into a Stern thread and ever imagine you can make a fair comparison....thats just ridiculous

You love the show, you love these guys, thats cool...enjoy. But dont come into a Stern thread and ever imagine you can make a fair comparison....thats just ridiculous
:goodposting: This sums it up. Most of us here don't care. Just S T F U and move on.

maybe ! can come in here and purge the 'O&A vs Stern' crap and put it into another thread, and allow the stern thread to be what it was intended to be. :notgoingtohappen:

:goodposting:

What size crowds are they getting for the "comedy tour"?

100? 200 people?

Bringing up youtube is really a joke.

O&A have a nice little niche crowd. I think their best days are behind them. They won't push the envelope after too many firings.

Howard doesn't really care about the battles anymore. He likes the freedom that Sirius allows him. He competes with no one. He's doing his show for his real fans. The battles are done. O&A might try to bring it up, but it doesn't matter.

Let the losers in terrestrial radio battle it out.

The Gator said:
doctor Gunks said:
The Gator said:
Stern.
There are a lot of ways to define success/failure. Financially? Obviously a success, he almost has more money than Azcards by now. In terms of making a lot of money for Sirius? I'm not sure. In terms of maintaining the same level of visibility he had on terrestrial? He certainly hasn't done that, but I don't think anyone can. Comedically? Subjective, but I don't think he's been as funny as he was back in the Jackie days. And like I said before, I don't think O&A are as consistently funny as they were right before they got whacked.I can see how different people could like each show. I've heard quite a bit of both, and I would rather listen to O&A at this point in time.But like I said before, I think Kidd Chris is better than both of them right now.cgrdrjoe> O&A are on from 10 AM to 1 PM on 106.9 in the Bay Area. I think the delay to mid-mornings is because Corolla's there by default, but they're on in all of the major northeast markets. Stern's "empire", in case you haven't noticed, is gone. Kind of like the Angels.

The Gator said:
doctor Gunks said:
The Gator said:
Stern.
There are a lot of ways to define success/failure. Financially? Obviously a success, he almost has more money than Azcards by now. In terms of making a lot of money for Sirius? I'm not sure. In terms of maintaining the same level of visibility he had on terrestrial? He certainly hasn't done that, but I don't think anyone can. Comedically? Subjective, but I don't think he's been as funny as he was back in the Jackie days. And like I said before, I don't think O&A are as consistently funny as they were right before they got whacked.I can see how different people could like each show. I've heard quite a bit of both, and I would rather listen to O&A at this point in time.

But like I said before, I think Kidd Chris is better than both of them right now.

cgrdrjoe> O&A are on from 10 AM to 1 PM on 106.9 in the Bay Area. I think the delay to mid-mornings is because Corolla's there by default, but they're on in all of the major northeast markets. Stern's "empire", in case you haven't noticed, is gone. Kind of like the Angels.
One thing that needs to be set straight. Howard has been worth his weight in gold.

Subs were less than a million before he announced.

Now they are over 4 million.

One million subs paid for Howards contract. I think it's safe to say he earned it.

The Gator said:
doctor Gunks said:
The Gator said:
Stern.
There are a lot of ways to define success/failure. Financially? Obviously a success, he almost has more money than Azcards by now. In terms of making a lot of money for Sirius? I'm not sure. In terms of maintaining the same level of visibility he had on terrestrial? He certainly hasn't done that, but I don't think anyone can. Comedically? Subjective, but I don't think he's been as funny as he was back in the Jackie days. And like I said before, I don't think O&A are as consistently funny as they were right before they got whacked.I can see how different people could like each show. I've heard quite a bit of both, and I would rather listen to O&A at this point in time.

But like I said before, I think Kidd Chris is better than both of them right now.

cgrdrjoe> O&A are on from 10 AM to 1 PM on 106.9 in the Bay Area. I think the delay to mid-mornings is because Corolla's there by default, but they're on in all of the major northeast markets. Stern's "empire", in case you haven't noticed, is gone. Kind of like the Angels.
One thing that needs to be set straight. Howard has been worth his weight in gold.

One million subs paid for Howards contract. I think it's safe to say he earned it.
How many subs just come automatic with new cars? :shrug:

The Gator said:
doctor Gunks said:
The Gator said:
Stern.

:shrug: come with some facts.

The Gator said:
doctor Gunks said:
The Gator said:
Stern.

:shrug: come with some facts.
I'm asking. I'm just curious. :shrug:

GiantsRule said:
RBM said:
GiantsRule said:
Where do I start?1 Ratings are FAR from great, unless you have extremely low standards. Poor KRock will never, ever see ratings like they did when they had the King2 Id almost gurantee that most people that dont listen loyally, had no idea they had a comedy tour3 Youtube? You gotta be kiddin me4 Nat'l tv spot? For what? Who would even know?5 XM getting new subscribers? You sure you want to break that one out man? :lmao: 6 Name some of these "fantastic guests"....Cant wait to hear all these a-list names you roll off. Im sure everyone in tv and film is running to the opie and anthony show to promote their latest project. You love the show, you love these guys, thats cool...enjoy. But dont come into a Stern thread and ever imagine you can make a fair comparison....thats just ridiculous
Congratulations! You managed to note six things I said without making a single point. How are their ratings not great considering they have only been on terrestrial for four months? Even your hero couldn't vault to #1 in less than half a year. Hate to tell you, but you don't get additional markets regularly if you suck.Number two shows what a biased tool you're acting like just because you're a Stern fan. You "almost guarantee that most people don't listen loyally". Are you for real? So not only does Stern tell you how to think, but you can actually read the people that tune in to their terrestrial & XM shows and know for a fact that they don't do it because they like it? Wow. Just...wow.They mentioned a video on YouTube briefly that has gotten over 100K hits in less than three weeks. What's so hard to understand about that? Meanwhile, if the Stern fan in this thread didn't post the Elliot Offen clips, I wouldn't even know they existed on YouTube.Wow, you're quite in the "radio know." They have a national TV commercial for all of their major markets promoting the 3-hour terrestrial radio show. Runs during NFL games and primetime TV. Surprised someone with your rich radio background didn't hear anything about that. And you don't need to have heard about their comedy tour - the one that has packed thousands into arenas to watch stand-up comedy. Since Stern didn't attach his name to it, it obviously didn't succeed.Yes, I do want to bring up the XM thing. If you can use Howie math to believe every Sirius subscriber is a Stern listener, than by his calculations, O&A have more satellite listeners than Stern since XM has more subscribers.Which guests? Hmmm....Samuel L. Jackson, Edward Norton, Korn, Mark Burnett, Donald Trump (but, wait, he's Howie's buddy. How could he be on O&A and offer to take him on his private jet like he does with Howie? He must have been forced by CBS like Letterman was!). Meanwhile, I hear Howard had Andrew Dice Clay on the show. How...revolutionary!The more you try and protect your hero, the more ridiculous you sound. Tell me more about these radio sources that can document O&A are failures.You want to end this once and for all? Fine. I'm an O&A fan (and a former Stern fan). You're a Stern fan. I had no right invading this thread with pro-O&A/anti-Stern sentiments. That's fine. But I'm going to rebut when you spread obvious lies and gibberish nonsense about something you obviously know nothing about.Unless you have other myths I feel like dispelling, I won't post again in this thread. Enjoy your show.

Why do fans of O&A and Stern dis each other? I don't get it. They're both funny. Fans spending any time declaring one is better than the other are really complete morons.

I didn't care much for Stern near the end (actually, the last six years or so) of his free radio reign, but he's a legend and I've heard he's been great on Sirius. I have XM, but I wish I could get Stern too.

I had never heard of O&A until I got XM. The show is absolutely hilarious. Those who argue that O&A aren't funny or they'll never compare to Stern are really just acting childish. They have one of the funniest shows I've ever heard.

People need to seriously give up their pathetic arguments one way or the other and appreciate that both shows are what is needed in radio, whether it be terrestrial of satellite.

People need to seriously give up their pathetic arguments one way or the other and appreciate that both shows are what is needed in radio, whether it be terrestrial of satellite.
The only thing I want to know is why people who hate Stern come into a Stern thread?If someone hates Stern fine by me. If you like o and a, fine.But why come into a thread with no purpose but to start ####?

In all fairness it was a "mercy bump". From May 5th to Sept. 22 they were all in here. ;)
Either you're not getting my point or you're proving it.
I understand your point. But that thread has a lot of Stern in it. i don't agree with the bashing and all that either way, but the first two replies are about Stern. Stern is mentioned in the article. If there is a place for debate it is in that thread and not this one.

I apologize for even getting caught up with this loon....Its definitely hurt this Stern thread

Just going to focus on great Stern show moments from now on

Like...

Not a fan of Howie Mandel but that interview was hilarious. What a freak! So funny Howard threatening to cut off that ribbon

Daywalker said:
doctor Gunks said:
Take that Opie & Anthony! where is your heroine addict boys?
Give them a week. They'll find one.
Vos was a crackhead a long time ago. :shrug:

Hoo hoo, I invented opium Robin.
I'm responsible for every single dollar that enters the U.S. economy, just like I'm responsible for every

satellite radio subscription. Tell 'em Fred.

Bigger than cell phones! The delusional ##### actually told his audience, "Bubba says I'm growing bigger than cell phones!"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Still waiting for him to step up and actually defend his daughter like any other normal parent would instead of just referring to her as a "good kid".
Don't you have a 2 page O&A thread somewhere to hide in?
How can you continue to defend him with all the lies he spews out on a daily basis? Seriously! I used to be a Stern fan until I learned what a ##### he was and some of the things he tries to take credit for. Without exaggeration:

1. Every satellite radio subscription

2. Ozzy Osbourne's reality show

3. Opie & Anthony's WOW promotion (I have yet to hear one Washington DC resident confirm that this is a takeoff on an alleged "bandana tied around a car antenna")

4. Being he first to play the Pat O'Brien tapes

5. The first to be offered a simultaneous terrestrial/satellite gig

Plus, it's very hypocritical of him to talk about being silenced and how he's a free speech advocate when he hid from the world that he did indeed impose a gag order on Opie & Anthony when they all worked at Infinity.

And you gotta love how he only sees one side of the story. He insists that O&A only sold 30,000 subscriptions when they were a $1.99/mo. add-on service. Yet, when confronted in the past week that his Sirius numbers are at the most one million, he said "how do you know? Satellite sub numbers aren't made available to the public. You're making stuff up to slam me!"

:lmao:
If a five year $500 million dollar contract to do radio doesn't equal scoreboard I don't know what does. Satellite radio is going to be huge. Everyone who has it raves about it. I can't imagine not having it. Howard is not the reason satellite is going to be huge but he is the reason Sirius will eventually pass XM to become the dominant provider. And that is history.
So why does he keep dropping hints that he's returning to terrestrial?

He has more money than O&A put together, so what? O&A are getting press, they're on Letterman, and frankly, people are forgetting about Stern.

I've listened to both for a long time. At his best, Stern was pretty amazing. But even the most rabid fan has to admit that the best days are behind him. Truthfully, I think O&A's show is a half-notch worse since the Syndication Now days, but it's still better than Stern.

And Kidd Chris' show is better than both. :thumbup:
WHAT HINT? Are you for real?

Why do you think these clowns were on Letterman? You think it might have something to do with it being the same company, and the radio idiots trying to push something that really hasnt worked out?

As for the Letterman appearance, Dave brought it up. It would've been lame for them to attack Howard out of nowhere, and it would've been lame to duck any questions about it. They answered the questions, got some laughs, and the interview continued. :shrug:
Sure Opie and Anthony are making money but I bet High Pitch Eric is more famous. No doubt in my mind High Pitch gets recognized out more in public then O&A.
:bs:

Stern is fantastic. I used to enjoy O & A in the afternoons but if given the choice of one vs the other, I take Howard any day, there's no competition at all.

Howard's been fantastic on Sirius and it's taken the show to new places. I can't imagine driving in (or home from work) without my Sirius now.

The Artie revelation was really compelling radio, very "real", and I can't wait to see how this is handled Monday on the show. I've never seen the show deal with something like this and they aren't even referencing it much on the website (www.howardstern.com)

Howard Stern is set for a reunion - of sorts - with his former sidekick Jackie (the Joke Man) Martling.

Insiders say Stern will announce on his show next week that Martling has scored his own program on Sirius, the satellite radio network Stern has called home since January.

"Martling's show will debut mid-October," says a source.

Stern and Martling parted ways on strained terms after 15 years in 2001, when the Joke Man couldn't reach a contract agreement with their mutual employer.

Martling said through his rep he has "no news" about a new radio show just yet.

From the News gossip page.

Howard Stern is set for a reunion - of sorts - with his former sidekick Jackie (the Joke Man) Martling.

Insiders say Stern will announce on his show next week that Martling has scored his own program on Sirius, the satellite radio network Stern has called home since January.

Stern and Martling parted ways on strained terms after 15 years in 2001, when the Joke Man couldn't reach a contract agreement with their mutual employer.

Wow, very interesting news here. I was a big Jackie fan and basically all but stopped listening to Stern besides the News, after he left the show. Not sure how he would do on his own show though. Will it be on Stern's channel?

Wow, very interesting news here. I was a big Jackie fan and basically all but stopped listening to Stern besides the News, after he left the show. Not sure how he would do on his own show though. Will it be on Stern's channel?
If the rumor is true (I'm not buying it yet), I'd think he'd be on Howard 101. I don't forsee him replacing BtLS or Ferrel.

If the rumor is true (I'm not buying it yet), I'd think he'd be on Howard 101. I don't forsee him replacing BtLS or Ferrel.
Not ripping, just asking: The Ferrel show couldn't possibly have a following, does it? I know he was painful to listen to on Opie & Anthony back in the day. And from the clips they played of his Sirius shows, I can't imagine Stern fans are tuning into this combination of senseless rambling and ignoring negative calls.

GMFB Jackie. :thumbup:

I think one of the main differences between Stern and O&A fans is that most O&A fans are pretty familiar with Stern's show, and the vast majority were Stern fans at some point. O&A were Stern fans back in the day. I listened when I could from age 13 up until he went to satellite, and I'm certain that his show has dipped in quality. I'd like to try and find some downloads maybe this week to check him out on Sirius because I've only heard bits and pieces, but I'm not optimistic. His last year on terrestrial was pretty bad, the constant #####ing about Bush was intolerable. And I hate Bush too. IMO, he really didn't have that much to talk about at that point.

The same thing will happen to O&A at some point as well, I'm sure. At some point, people who were sharp and insightful and funny become doddering old asses.

BTW, if anyone's interested in hearing O&A's show, the terrestrial stream is over several stations on www.radiomat.com. 6AM to 9AM Eastern in NY, 10 AM to 1 PM on delay on the SF FreeFM station.

I also mentioned him before, but Kidd Chris' show (Sulu Dance, OJ crank calls) is on at 3 ET on WYSP. I defy anyone to find me a funnier show than this, terrestrial or satellite.

I think the show lost an important dynamic when Jackie and Stuttering John left. Their personalities were not schtik. Jackie naturally grated on Howard and Fred while John drove Gary mad at times. Artie has brought a lot of comedy to the show and his life is interesting but he doesn't bring much conflict. Richard and Sal do mainly schtik and are just happy to be there. I miss KC's wackiness too. Will is invisible even JD gets more airtime.I have a feeling Artie will leave the show sometime in the next two years. He'll get a tv or movie deal. When that happens I expect Jackie to be back.

On a Sirius note, it looks like they have added the NFL network to their streaming content.

It also looks like they have "premium" streaming content that they are charging for. No idea what the difference is, but I'm hoping I don't have to pay to listen online anytime soon.

On a Sirius note, it looks like they have added the NFL network to their streaming content.It also looks like they have "premium" streaming content that they are charging for. No idea what the difference is, but I'm hoping I don't have to pay to listen online anytime soon.
Good info here, thanks! :thumbup:

GMFB Jackie. :thumbup: I think one of the main differences between Stern and O&A fans is that most O&A fans are pretty familiar with Stern's show, and the vast majority were Stern fans at some point. O&A were Stern fans back in the day. I listened when I could from age 13 up until he went to satellite, and I'm certain that his show has dipped in quality. I'd like to try and find some downloads maybe this week to check him out on Sirius because I've only heard bits and pieces, but I'm not optimistic. His last year on terrestrial was pretty bad, the constant #####ing about Bush was intolerable. And I hate Bush too. IMO, he really didn't have that much to talk about at that point.The same thing will happen to O&A at some point as well, I'm sure. At some point, people who were sharp and insightful and funny become doddering old asses.BTW, if anyone's interested in hearing O&A's show, the terrestrial stream is over several stations on www.radiomat.com. 6AM to 9AM Eastern in NY, 10 AM to 1 PM on delay on the SF FreeFM station.I also mentioned him before, but Kidd Chris' show (Sulu Dance, OJ crank calls) is on at 3 ET on WYSP. I defy anyone to find me a funnier show than this, terrestrial or satellite.
The show has gotten so much better since the move to Sirius, Im sure you'll like it.I think Stern has had Kidd Chris on since his move to Sirius. Not for sure but I recall hearing and interview with him.

Memo to Howard...

No one cares about the ICP. Please, no more invites to a band that didn't matter 10 years ago, and they certainly don't now.

I think the show lost an important dynamic when Jackie and Stuttering John left. Their personalities were not schtik. Jackie naturally grated on Howard and Fred while John drove Gary mad at times. Artie has brought a lot of comedy to the show and his life is interesting but he doesn't bring much conflict. Richard and Sal do mainly schtik and are just happy to be there. I miss KC's wackiness too. Will is invisible even JD gets more airtime.I have a feeling Artie will leave the show sometime in the next two years. He'll get a tv or movie deal. When that happens I expect Jackie to be back.
Great post. Jackie's unintentional brillance was his inability to recognize/appreciate that he had a dream gig that he owed entirely to Howard. His constant complaining and selfishness was hilarious and it created fascinating tension.All the new guys know how lucky they are and kiss Howard's rearend around the clock. I don't blame Howard on a personal level for wanting to get rid of the tension Jackie caused, but it surely hurt the show. Just like I don't blame him for wanting to leave his wife for a hot young model who only wants him for his fame and money, but that definitely changed the show's dynamic as well.

Users who are viewing this thread