What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Want some advice on IDP I've never used it before (1 Viewer)

geoff8695

Footballguy
I'm currently in a ten team dynasty league hosted by CBS Sportsline (see sig.), and I have been appointed to research and propose an IDP system for the 2006 season.

:nerd:

Unfortunately I've never used IDP before and I don't know what type of rosters and scoring systems are most common. Also, I'm not entirely sure of the roster and scoring system limitations that CBS places upon us. I've tried playing around with the roster requirements and it looks like CBS allows for either a 3 position system, of Linemen/Linebacker/Defensive Backs or a full Defensive Team (not entirely sure though - and I'm afraid to save any changes to the league's rules during the current season).

:shrug:

Anybody currently using CBS for IDP? If so, what type of positional and scoring system recommendations can you give me?

TIA

I use them, and like it a lot. It works the same as the offense, and you can configure it anyway you like. In my league, we use 2 DL, 3 LB, and 2 LB, and use ST for return yards/TDs only. You can set up the scoring any way you like.Do not try to change it now, until the season is over... Or until the 2006 product is released next year.It's fairly easy to set up, and you can "test" your scoring just like you do with the offense. The scoring updates like the offense and I've not had a problem with it. I like it better than any other software out there. Sure, it's a little more money, but it's worth it.

It adds a whole new dimension to the game. In our league, a stud LB who gets 10 tackles a game scores just as many points a Lad Tomlinson on a good day. It levels the playing field and expands the possibilities for drafting. In my cbs idp league, I'm known for my defense and my mediocre RB's. Last year I was starting backup RB's and 4 decent to good WR and I won it all for my KILLER D. I had Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison who were tackling machines. Anyway, I don't even play in leagues anymore that doesn't have IDP...Our starting lineup is like this:DEFENSE ***Standard*** 1 LB 1 DB 1 DL 1 DB/DL ***Nickel*** 1 LB 3 DB ***Short Yardage/Goalline*** 2 LB 2 DL Scoring is like this:ATK - Assisted Tackles (ID only) 1 point DFR - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 5 points DFRYd - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovery Yards (ID/DT/DST) 1 - 150 DFRYds = 1 point for every 10 DFRYds DFTD - Defensive TD 6 points Int - Interceptions 5 points IntYd - Interception Yards 1 - 150 IntYds = 1 point for every 10 IntYds SACK - Sack 0 - 100 SACKs = 4 points for every 1 SACKPlus a 10 point bonus @ 3+ SACKPlus a 10 point bonus @ 6+ SACKPlus a 10 point bonus @ 9+ SACK STTD - Special Teams TD 6 points STY - Safety 2 points TK - Tackle (ID/DT/DST) 0 - 100 TKs = 2 points for every 1 TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 3+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 6+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 9+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 12+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 15+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 18+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 21+ TKPlus a 5 point bonus @ 24+ TK IDP is awesome and it's great that you are evolving into it. Total defense leagues are boring now...

It adds a whole new dimension to the game. In our league, a stud LB who gets 10 tackles a game scores just as many points a Lad Tomlinson on a good day. It levels the playing field and expands the possibilities for drafting. In my cbs idp league, I'm known for my defense and my mediocre RB's. Last year I was starting backup RB's and 4 decent to good WR and I won it all for my KILLER D. I had Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison who were tackling machines. Anyway, I don't even play in leagues anymore that doesn't have IDP...

Our starting lineup is like this:

DEFENSE

***Standard***

1 LB

1 DB

1 DL

1 DB/DL

***Nickel***

1 LB

3 DB

***Short Yardage/Goalline***

2 LB

2 DL

Scoring is like this:

ATK - Assisted Tackles (ID only) 1 point

DFR - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 5 points

DFRYd - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovery Yards (ID/DT/DST) 1 - 150 DFRYds = 1 point for every 10 DFRYds

DFTD - Defensive TD 6 points

Int - Interceptions 5 points

IntYd - Interception Yards 1 - 150 IntYds = 1 point for every 10 IntYds

SACK - Sack 0 - 100 SACKs = 4 points for every 1 SACK

Plus a 10 point bonus @ 3+ SACK

Plus a 10 point bonus @ 6+ SACK

Plus a 10 point bonus @ 9+ SACK

STTD - Special Teams TD 6 points

STY - Safety 2 points

TK - Tackle (ID/DT/DST) 0 - 100 TKs = 2 points for every 1 TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 3+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 6+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 9+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 12+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 15+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 18+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 21+ TK

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 24+ TK

IDP is awesome and it's great that you are evolving into it. Total defense leagues are boring now...
I no longer play in leagues with "team" defenses. IDP is definitely the way to go, I agree.I'm not crazy with your scoring. But if you like it, then that's all that matters. I actually assign decimal scoring (.8 per tackle; .4 per assisted tackle with bonus points at 10 tackles); etc. I just wouldn't want Vilma getting more tackles than LJ. A good day for a LB would be 10 points or more, but when you start 3 of them, it really adds up.

IDP... Once you play it, you'll never go back to Team DF.

First year guys should keep it simple and should try to use scoring that is somewhat consistent with advisory services.Three categories of players which is consistent with CBS: 1) DL - defensive lineman, which includes both defensive ends and defensive tackles.2) LB - linebackeers, which include both inside and outside linebackers.3) DB - defensive backs, which include cornerbacks and both strong and free safeties.Keep the scoring simple:1 point per tackle.5 point per tackle assist1 point per pass defended3 points per interception3 points per sack2 points for forced fumble2 points for fumble recovered.2 points for safetyKeep it simple. IMO

First year guys should keep it simple and should try to use scoring that is somewhat consistent with advisory services.

Three categories of players which is consistent with CBS:

1) DL - defensive lineman, which includes both defensive ends and defensive tackles.

2) LB - linebackeers, which include both inside and outside linebackers.

3) DB - defensive backs, which include cornerbacks and both strong and free safeties.

Keep the scoring simple:

1 point per tackle

.5 point per tackle assist

1 point per pass defended

3 points per interception

3 points per sack

2 points for forced fumble

2 points for fumble recovered.

2 points for safety

Keep it simple. IMO
I think this is great advice. As far as what positions to start, 2-3 of each of the three spots is a good idea. 2/3/3 sounds about right.

I don't know if CBS's site can support it but if you can add a flex starter it's a great feature. The IDP league's I've played in have always required 2 starters at each position (DL, LB DB) but one additional flex starter at any position. It seems like there are always more injuries on defense so having that flexibility is huge.

I'm in the same league with Geoff8695. Thanks for the replies!I have a couple of questions:8 starters seems like a lot - since I have not been tracking IDP stats at all (ever), it would be nice to get a feel for how many points a team might expect out of their IDP starters.So for example, what would a top 10 LB score consistently per week? How about average (LB 11 - 30, say)? Same questions for DL's and DB's.This year, there were a few "top tier" RB's - LT2, Alexander, Edge, probably LJ now...who were the elite DL's, LB's, and DB's going into the 2005 draft? Who are they now?Finally, what about TD's? In dapace2's scoring system above, he didn't mention TD's (fumbles or INT's returned for TD's). Do they score the same as a receiving or rushing TD generally? What about if you have a DB who returns kicks? Does he get credit for a TD if he runs one back for a TD? What about fumble, INT, or kick return yardage? Any points for those stats in a typical IDP scoring system?For the next couple of years, we're going to re-draft the IDP players, until all of the owners get comfortable with the new paradigm. Then we'll add them to the keeper requirements.Thanks for all your help, guys. :thumbup:

I'm in the same league with Geoff8695. Thanks for the replies!

I have a couple of questions:

8 starters seems like a lot - since I have not been tracking IDP stats at all (ever), it would be nice to get a feel for how many points a team might expect out of their IDP starters.

So for example, what would a top 10 LB score consistently per week? How about average (LB 11 - 30, say)? Same questions for DL's and DB's.

This year, there were a few "top tier" RB's - LT2, Alexander, Edge, probably LJ now...who were the elite DL's, LB's, and DB's going into the 2005 draft? Who are they now?

Finally, what about TD's? In dapace2's scoring system above, he didn't mention TD's (fumbles or INT's returned for TD's). Do they score the same as a receiving or rushing TD generally? What about if you have a DB who returns kicks? Does he get credit for a TD if he runs one back for a TD? What about fumble, INT, or kick return yardage? Any points for those stats in a typical IDP scoring system?

For the next couple of years, we're going to re-draft the IDP players, until all of the owners get comfortable with the new paradigm. Then we'll add them to the keeper requirements.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

:thumbup:
my thoughts:You need 7-8 starters, otherwise there is too much depth on the wire - remember there is as many starters in football on D as there is on O - but all 11 on D play positions where they realistically can score points.

Defense should have the ability to score as much as offense - or at least 30-40 percent on average.

With 2 pt/tackle, 1/assist and reasonable scoring for fumbles, sacks, ints and passes defended and Elite LB scores as an Elite RB - I like that

If you have a flex I would suggest it be a DB/DL flex - otherwise it will end up being a LB nine times out of ten.

I'd give points for TD returns - but not for yards unless you give points for returnyards in general (and if your league is very large)

As for the points - it obviously depends on the system you implement - to find the right balance for you suggest you now or in the off season get the game stats for this season and run your scoring system on them - tweak as you like and then implement.

In a deep league I like to give points for big plays and to equal scoring for PD and tackle - in effect a PD is better than a tackle except if the tackle is made for a loss and also it is much more rare.

I don't play in team D leagues - tried it a few times but didn't like the concept, didn't thonk it was as fun. IDP all the way now (I feel the same way about redraft vs auction, auction is the way to go)

I write a column for rotoworld/foxsports called 'IDP Nation' that covers the stuff, mostly from a pretty beginner perspective. I have a few strategies that I like to preach, but check it out, it posts Wednesdays at about noon.

Psychopav, hunt around here:

http://football16.myfantasyleague.com/2005/home/47585

That's a Zealot league, with 8 IDP starters, with 1 point per tackle, .5 per half tackle, 3 points for a big play, 6 for a TD. It does give return yard scoring, but it's really small - something like .02 per yard.

Top 10 LBs have scored between 127 and 145 points, so call it 9 per game.

For DBs, it's between 109 and 141, so call it 8 points per game.

For DL, it's between 80 and 113, so call it 7 points per game.

LBs 11-30: 91-124, so 7-8 points per game.

DBs 11-30: 90-108, so 7 points per game.

DLs 11-30: 60-80 pts, so 5 per game.

I'm in an IDP league with a scoring system very similar to what Tick described. We start 8 defensive players, 2 each at DL, LB and DB with 2 flex starters. The average defense will score in the high 40's per week. I'm the top ranked defense and I score 56 points per week. The low guy is horrible, scoring about 36 per week.

I am also investigating an IDP scoring system to use for our dynasty league.Question for IDP veterans: Is there a scoring system that does not promote picking "bad" or "rookie" DBs, as they will be picked on in NFL games and thus get more tackles?I heard that this typically happens, and if we go IDP, I would want the scoring system to reward the "best" NFL players, not crappy DBs that get 8 tackles but give up 150 yards receiving in a game.TIA :thumbup:

I am also investigating an IDP scoring system to use for our dynasty league.

Question for IDP veterans: Is there a scoring system that does not promote picking "bad" or "rookie" DBs, as they will be picked on in NFL games and thus get more tackles?

I heard that this typically happens, and if we go IDP, I would want the scoring system to reward the "best" NFL players, not crappy DBs that get 8 tackles but give up 150 yards receiving in a game.

TIA :thumbup:
Unfortunately no, unless you can give huge props to a DB that runs around and never gets thrown at ...Even if you make ints score much higher than tackles (for DBs), the "best" CB may not get as many simply by not seeing as many passes in their direction ...

Before you decide on the defensive scoring, you need to determine how important you want the IDPs to be in your scoring. For instance, do you want your LBs to score about the same as RBs or QBs ? DBs to score like WRs ? Based on how many points your offensive positions score, should affect how your scoring is setup for your IDPs. This should give you a base to start with setting up general parameters to configure your scoring. Then look at the 2005 results for tackles, assisted tackles, pass deflections, etc.. and figure your scoring per area to get to that top players points scored for the year. Compare this to the position you want to compare it to and tweak the areas until you are comfortable with them. Several have already offered good advice on scoring per area and you should be able to start putting things together.

I believe that no one keeps a DB record as to passes completed on them (you could make it -1)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread