What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Digital Camera pic of the day (2 Viewers)

So I got a D5100 for Christmas. I really haven't done anything photography related previously and am really just trying to figure out stuff like exposure, ISO, aperture settings, etc. Most of the stuff I'm taking right now I'm just leaving it in auto mode and trying to work on learning how to compose pictures. I figure the camera is smarter than me at this point so I'll let it do its thing for the most part and work on framing and composing pictures. These are a few I took this past week:

Lamp Post

Snowy Tree

Christmas Carnage

Bounce House

Cold House

The lamp post I wish I had moved around to try to find a position where I had something more interesting than a house in the background. Or at least turned to get my parents' house nicely blurred in the background. I like the lamp post itself, but the background left a lot to be desired. Similar issue with the snowy tree for me. That one I think it would have been better if I had the fence running at a different angle.

Bounce House was a real challenge and I'm not sure I had a chance with this one. Not only was my stock lens not really fast enough, but the lighting in the gym where we had this was terrible. Blasting 1950s lights on one side of the gym and lights completely off on the other half. Maybe if I were more familiar with Photoshop Elements (the editing program I'll be using for the near future) I could make some better adjustments.

Cold House was my favorite. I just liked the composition, colors, etc. With more practice hopefully I'll be able to get better detail on the tree and maybe even some detail on the sky. Although I think the sky may have been pretty gray that day, so that was maybe as good as it gets.

Any thoughts, tips, pointers?

So I got a D5100 for Christmas. I really haven't done anything photography related previously and am really just trying to figure out stuff like exposure, ISO, aperture settings, etc. Most of the stuff I'm taking right now I'm just leaving it in auto mode and trying to work on learning how to compose pictures. I figure the camera is smarter than me at this point so I'll let it do its thing for the most part and work on framing and composing pictures. These are a few I took this past week:

Lamp Post

Snowy Tree

Christmas Carnage

Bounce House

Cold House

The lamp post I wish I had moved around to try to find a position where I had something more interesting than a house in the background. Or at least turned to get my parents' house nicely blurred in the background. I like the lamp post itself, but the background left a lot to be desired. Similar issue with the snowy tree for me. That one I think it would have been better if I had the fence running at a different angle.

Bounce House was a real challenge and I'm not sure I had a chance with this one. Not only was my stock lens not really fast enough, but the lighting in the gym where we had this was terrible. Blasting 1950s lights on one side of the gym and lights completely off on the other half. Maybe if I were more familiar with Photoshop Elements (the editing program I'll be using for the near future) I could make some better adjustments.

Cold House was my favorite. I just liked the composition, colors, etc. With more practice hopefully I'll be able to get better detail on the tree and maybe even some detail on the sky. Although I think the sky may have been pretty gray that day, so that was maybe as good as it gets.

Lamp post is a great shot. I would try it in Portrait (instead of landscape) next time, though.

Snowy Tree

Similar issue with the snowy tree for me. That one I think it would have been better if I had the fence running at a different angle.

Just my opinion, but I think you are being too critical of yourself on that photo. I really liked your use of depth of field and to me the angle of the fence adds interest. An interesting self portrait idea might have been a single large, silver Christmas ornament that gave you a distorted reflection of yourself actually taking the photo. Or maybe even just a single small red ornament to add a point of interest in the foreground since the dominant colors in the photo are already green and white. Kind of a "classic" xmas photo.

That's such a nice shot, and underscores that all rules are made to be broken. At first glance some people might suggest that you NEVER put the subject in the dead-center of a photo but in my opinion it adds to the feeling that deer is nested inside the trees surrounding it. Nicely done.

'BoltBacker said:
'snogger said:
That's such a nice shot, and underscores that all rules are made to be broken. At first glance some people might suggest that you NEVER put the subject in the dead-center of a photo but in my opinion it adds to the feeling that deer is nested inside the trees surrounding it. Nicely done.
:thanks: IMO sometimes dead center is needed to get the true "feeling".. Rules are meant to be broken ;)

'Chaos Commish said:
I want to spend about $300 on a camera. I don't want to spend more. I use a 6mp Kodak point and shoot that must be 6 years old. It does what I need. I use my phone camera almost every day too. I see great photo ops in the desert all the time, but have no interest in pointing my limited cameras at them. Help.

Something like this?

Or does used make more sense/better pics?
I'd go with the "Point & shoot".. Unless you have thoughts of going professional, that P&S will take very nice pictures without the need to buy additional lenses. More reviews can be found at Amazon35mm equivalent 24-840mm .. The amount of money you'd have to spend on lenses to get that range would :shock: you.

Nice ISO range: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

Added bonus: Full HD 1080p video in stereo sound

The only downside I can see is that it doesn't offer "RAW" abilities. You'll be able to adjust the photo's a little, but not as much as with RAW photos.

If I was going to look at a P&S, now that I am used to using Photoshop Elements, I'd be looking for one that has RAW capabilities.

Still, I bought my DSLR when I had thoughts I'd be selling my photos. Had I known that breaking into that business was going to be as tough as it was I probably would have bought a top of the line P&S.

I miss having "One lens" to cover different ranges. Many times I find myself having to take a quick shot and don't have the time to swap lenses..

I have a lens on my wishlist to alleviate that issue, but again the cost is more then the P&S you are looking at .. It is $439 and still only gets me to the 35mm equivalent of 400mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Snogger. Sounds like I was going to make a mistake, certain the dslr was the way to go. Anyway, briefly, here's my reason. I'm one of six kids who spent many years of childhood growing up out in the SoCal desert. We all 'got out' and have dispersed around the country, but holidays are almost always spent in LA, San Diego or Vegas. I moved back to the desert 6 years ago with a business idea and a local partner. It's been a success, and this Christmas I had over 30 family members at my place. My brother and sisters were nostalgic for the desert, almost overwhelmed by the peacefulness and winter beauty. We're hard to buy presents for and I got to thinking a calender of nostalgic spots beautifully photographed would be awesome. I live in and drive through this country every day. I see this country once a week. There's a secret pet cemetary where we have a family pup buried, a hidden spot where we each partied in high school though separated by ten years, a secret family camp site, a brutal hill our coaches all made us run, etc...

Tips on putting together such a project will be appreciated. I have a year, and will show my work.

Thanks Snogger. Sounds like I was going to make a mistake, certain the dslr was the way to go. Anyway, briefly, here's my reason. I'm one of six kids who spent many years of childhood growing up out in the SoCal desert. We all 'got out' and have dispersed around the country, but holidays are almost always spent in LA, San Diego or Vegas. I moved back to the desert 6 years ago with a business idea and a local partner. It's been a success, and this Christmas I had over 30 family members at my place. My brother and sisters were nostalgic for the desert, almost overwhelmed by the peacefulness and winter beauty. We're hard to buy presents for and I got to thinking a calender of nostalgic spots beautifully photographed would be awesome. I live in and drive through this country every day. I see this country once a week. There's a secret pet cemetary where we have a family pup buried, a hidden spot where we each partied in high school though separated by ten years, a secret family camp site, a brutal hill our coaches all made us run, etc...

Tips on putting together such a project will be appreciated. I have a year, and will show my work.
Well, thanks for the links to increase my knowledge that I live in a pretty boring part of the US when it comes to places for photography :kicksrock: ;) The best photo's you are going to get, regardless if it is the desert, mountains, ocean, etc. is from Predawn through sunrise and Dusk to sunset.

Best tool I have found, bar none, for researching areas to take photos is The Photographer’s Ephemeris (TPE) I use teh windows one which is free, but they have Apps available also.

The great thing is you can place a marker on the screen and it will not only show you the time that the sun will rise/fall, but also the direction.. here is an example I saved :thumbup:

Snogs,

I have yet to make a jump into a better camera. I keep coming back to this My link. Amazon has had it down to $499 but I did not jump on it. Would you suggest this lumix or the canon above if price is not the issue?

'Chaos Commish said:
I want to spend about $300 on a camera. I don't want to spend more. I use a 6mp Kodak point and shoot that must be 6 years old. It does what I need. I use my phone camera almost every day too. I see great photo ops in the desert all the time, but have no interest in pointing my limited cameras at them. Help.
I think if you aren't going to invest in several different lenses there's something to be said for going in between the two options you suggested. Mirrorless cameras that are a generation old are great values right now....http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL2-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-59722.cfm?utm_source=Pricegrabber&utm_medium=cpchttp://www.adorama.com/INK1J1BKR.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=pgrabl... both come in at well under $300 for the body/lens with the flexibility to add a wide, fast prime lens later that would be ideal for taking those dramatic low-light desert shots. If you plan on taking more static shots I'd lean toward the Olympus but if you thought you might be taking more action shots(children running/playing, flying birds, dune buggies kicking up sand, etc) then I'd lean more toward the Nikon. The Nikon has a very fast maximum shutter speed and fast focusing, but a smaller sensor. The Nikon is much smaller but that may have to do with a smaller battery which only takes 2/3rds the number of shots on a single charge when compared to the Olympus.

Snogs,

I have yet to make a jump into a better camera. I keep coming back to this My link. Amazon has had it down to $499 but I did not jump on it. Would you suggest this lumix or the canon above if price is not the issue?
Interesting choice there and it is all about the cost( about $200 more) and if it is worth it to you.With the Panasonic you do get all REAL nice aperture throughout the range of the camera:

Aperture: f/2.8 (W) - 2.8 (T) to f/8.0

comes in real handy for low light situations when zooming.

you do lose some zoom capabilities.. Panasonic being 25-600mm compared to the Canon 24-840mm

Then again, with the Panasonic you do gain the RAW capability.

kind of funny to check out reviews and find they both get around 4. stars at bhphoto

Best bet is review the reviews:

Canon

Panasoinc

Would you suggest this lumix or the canon above if price is not the issue?
Can't speak for Snogs but I LOVE Panasonic point and shoots and think they are every bit as good as the Canon/Nikon/Sony P&S's of the world. Throw in the fact that it has F2.8 through the entire 25-600mm(equivelant) zoom range and imo it's the best super zoom camera on the market. The only drawback I see is it's pretty new to the market so you are paying close to MSRP and point-and-shoot camera prices fall fast. If you buy now you could probably miss out on a GREAT deal in less than a year.

Well, thanks for the links to increase my knowledge that I live in a pretty boring part of the US when it comes to places for photography :kicksrock: ;) The best photo's you are going to get, regardless if it is the desert, mountains, ocean, etc. is from Predawn through sunrise and Dusk to sunset.

Best tool I have found, bar none, for researching areas to take photos is The Photographer’s Ephemeris (TPE) I use teh windows one which is free, but they have Apps available also.

The great thing is you can place a marker on the screen and it will not only show you the time that the sun will rise/fall, but also the direction.. here is an example I saved :thumbup:
Thanks again. I'm now looking for $300 w/RAW. And, know that I deal with 2 and a half months of 100-110+ degree weather. :thumbdown:

you do lose some zoom capabilities.. Panasonic being 25-600mm compared to the Canon 24-840mm
I think that F2.8@600mm >> F5.8@840mm in most shooting situations though. The only exceptions might be if you have a very nice(read: expensive and heavy) tripod AND a ton of light(which often doesn't lend itself to be the best light for photographs). If you were next to a road side so you weren't carrying the tripod and needed that extra reach(like taking photos of rams on the side of hillside where you typically have a lot of light) then I can see where the Canon would be better.

'Chaos Commish said:
I think if you aren't going to invest in several different lenses there's something to be said for going in between the two options you suggested. Mirrorless cameras that are a generation old are great values right now....http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL2-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-59722.cfm?utm_source=Pricegrabber&utm_medium=cpchttp://www.adorama.com/INK1J1BKR.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=pgrabl... both come in at well under $300 for the body/lens with the flexibility to add a wide, fast prime lens later that would be ideal for taking those dramatic low-light desert shots. If you plan on taking more static shots I'd lean toward the Olympus but if you thought you might be taking more action shots(children running/playing, flying birds, dune buggies kicking up sand, etc) then I'd lean more toward the Nikon. The Nikon has a very fast maximum shutter speed and fast focusing, but a smaller sensor. The Nikon is much smaller but that may have to do with a smaller battery which only takes 2/3rds the number of shots on a single charge when compared to the Olympus.
:goodposting: I'm a Canon shooter, and I like the above advice. I have a friend that has a Canon P&S like the SX40 but one generation older. It's quick to zoom and takes 'good enough' pictures, but it's still obvious the quality between P&S shots and SLR. I'd probably jump in the Olympus or Sony mirrorless SLR camp if I wasn't invested with Canon lenses and stuff.

'Chaos Commish said:
:goodposting: I'm a Canon shooter, and I like the above advice. I have a friend that has a Canon P&S like the SX40 but one generation older. It's quick to zoom and takes 'good enough' pictures, but it's still obvious the quality between P&S shots and SLR. I'd probably jump in the Olympus or Sony mirrorless SLR camp if I wasn't invested with Canon lenses and stuff.
I like the idea of mirrorless, and yes it does save you money compared to a DSLR.. But you still will need to purchases lenses to get the different ranges, which equals more money..I've seen P&S pictures taken with the new 12 and above MP cameras blown up to 8X10 which look great.. I think A LOT is... what are you going to do with the pictures?Post on Facebook/flickr for people to view online, Print out mainly 4X6's and 5X7's with the occasional 8X10.. Then I think a top of the line P&S is perfect.Or do you hope to print 11X14 or larger? If so, then a Mirrorless camera or DSLR is the way to go.Just be prepared to be constantly watching for new lenses that you can afford and, well, the :argue: that comes from the Significant other because of it. ;)

Oookay, I've had a couple close calls without buying as your comments are developing. A Panasonic Lumix FX35 with 4 magnifying lenses, three filters, case, strap, extra battery, and 4 gb card is coming in right under $300. I'm looking at what the filters do, and I like it.

I did not buy it because I am primarily interested in the highest quality scenery shots I can get at my budget. No action, no kids at play, no portraits. So the Olympus mirrorless PEN E PL2 is in my cart at Amazon with a 14-42mm lens. I have 60 bucks for a lense if that's possible.

I do dig some of the extreme closeups I've seen, and could see me wanting to do that with a lizard or flower or mineral or dew or such. But it's not worth sacrificing sharp long distance scenery. I'm often blown away by the sky out here.

Oookay, I've had a couple close calls without buying as your comments are developing. A Panasonic Lumix FX35 with 4 magnifying lenses, three filters, case, strap, extra battery, and 4 gb card is coming in right under $300. I'm looking at what the filters do, and I like it. I did not buy it because I am primarily interested in the highest quality scenery shots I can get at my budget. No action, no kids at play, no portraits. So the Olympus mirrorless PEN E PL2 is in my cart at Amazon with a 14-42mm lens. I have 60 bucks for a lense if that's possible. I do dig some of the extreme closeups I've seen, and could see me wanting to do that with a lizard or flower or mineral or dew or such. But it's not worth sacrificing sharp long distance scenery. I'm often blown away by the sky out here.
Not sure if you're a Costco member or not:http://www.costco.com/Olympus-E-PL2-with-14-42mm-Lens-Compact-System-Camera-Bundle.product.100011392.html

I did not buy it because I am primarily interested in the highest quality scenery shots I can get at my budget. No action, no kids at play, no portraits. So the Olympus mirrorless PEN E PL2 is in my cart at Amazon with a 14-42mm lens. I have 60 bucks for a lense if that's possible. I do dig some of the extreme closeups I've seen, and could see me wanting to do that with a lizard or flower or mineral or dew or such. But it's not worth sacrificing sharp long distance scenery. I'm often blown away by the sky out here.
Based on the fact you are really aimed at scenic shots and focus speed, shutter speed will be very small factors in your photo I'd get this if I was you...http://www.uniquephoto.com/Sony-1/alpha-nex-c3-digital-camera-with-16mm-wide-angle-lens-black-nexc3a-b/?scpid=2&scid=scsho774482... because it comes with the 16mm/F2.8 lens.It has a bigger sensor and more megapixels than my other suggestions. The NEX line of cameras have been very well received and in a few years you could use your lenses on another ~$200-300 NEX camera that I'm sure will be better than anything available today. For shooting scenery it's all about the lens and sensor. Two accessories that will help you get the best possible pictures for scenery are an ok tripod(another great benefit of mirrorless - the cameras are so light you don't need a heavy tripod) and a polarizing filter that really gives you blue skies to set off those warm desert colors.Best of luck!

'Chaos Commish said:
But you still will need to purchases lenses to get the different ranges, which equals more money..I've seen P&S pictures taken with the new 12 and above MP cameras blown up to 8X10 which look great.. I think A LOT is... what are you going to do with the pictures?
I think you make a great point when considering the final output but I would argue P&S can take great pictures PROVIDED you have a great deal of light to work with. Some of my favorite scenic shots are taken close to dawn and dusk and at least in my experience P&S tend to struggle when getting all(sometimes ANY) details in the shadows. HDR can be a tool to combat this but a bigger sensor and a lens that allows more light to hit the sensor is the best way to really capture that detail. The nice thing about these high megapixel mirrorless cameras are they offer so many more megapixels than you really need. For instance sharing photos online you really only need 4mp or less. You can crop your 16mp image down to 4mp allowing you to treat the crop as a zoom. In the old days when you only had 4mp to start out with digital zoom was a gimmick but now that we have so many more mp's than we really need it can be used as a valuable tool to avoid buying so many lenses. Imo these mirrorless cameras are a perfect solution for people that just want one zoom lens and one fast pancake prime. If people really want to invest $1,000+ in a collection of several lenses that they may keep a lifetime then dSLR is the best bet... at least for now. The clock is ticking.

Olympus Pen Epl 2

After a week + of spending some time daily researching this idea, the above suggestion is easily my choice. The Price + Image Quality combo can't be topped and I guess those are my two main considerations. So, some questions before I take the plunge or not.What can I do and not do with the 14x42mm kit lens?

I'm not adding a second quality lens at this point, but what low cost accessories do you recommend? A tripod is obvious for what I want to shoot.

I had pretty much decided not to do this until driving my kid to school this morning. High winds at sunrise with a wild sky looked like an overdone HDR photograph to the naked eye. As much as I'd like to capture this stuff and play with it, frame it, get better at it, make gifts from it if possible, take on a new hobby/learning experience etc., I also feel like sunsets and sunrises are so worn out that... I dunno. This could be a big waste of time. I like the idea of learning a bit of photography since it's something I've somehow completely whiffed on in life, but maybe I'm better off just not knowing some stuff. What.

Olympus Pen Epl 2

After a week + of spending some time daily researching this idea, the above suggestion is easily my choice. The Price + Image Quality combo can't be topped and I guess those are my two main considerations. So, some questions before I take the plunge or not.What can I do and not do with the 14x42mm kit lens?

I'm not adding a second quality lens at this point, but what low cost accessories do you recommend? A tripod is obvious for what I want to shoot.

I had pretty much decided not to do this until driving my kid to school this morning. High winds at sunrise with a wild sky looked like an overdone HDR photograph to the naked eye. As much as I'd like to capture this stuff and play with it, frame it, get better at it, make gifts from it if possible, take on a new hobby/learning experience etc., I also feel like sunsets and sunrises are so worn out that... I dunno. This could be a big waste of time. I like the idea of learning a bit of photography since it's something I've somehow completely whiffed on in life, but maybe I'm better off just not knowing some stuff. What.
14-42 will not give you much "zoom." That is, if you see some pretty bird on the opposite bank, you'll have to be content to have it be a mere speck in your photo. Personally, I'm fine with that. The last time I shot over 50 mm was wedding work. If you're doing landscapes and the occasional shot of your kid, 14-42 will have you covered.As far as accessories, you can get a tripod pretty cheap—$50 or so for a decently sturdy, easy-to-use tripod. I'm also a big advocate of buying a "nifty 50" or a 35 mm 1.8 prime early on. Both are great lenses and are fairly affordable. You will get your money's worth with either one.

I tell people this almost any time I talk about what I like to photograph: as much as I seek originality and novelty in my compositions, there will never be anything that will stop me from taking a picture of a beautiful sky. There's nothing worn out about a great sunrise or sunset. These are things that are so beautiful that no matter how jaded we become, we always stop and look at, camera or no. And few photos ever truly capture the wonder of the natural world, which is why we keep trying. There is always this desire to make it a bit better, because we'll never quite get it perfect. So yeah, don't dismiss any subject. There's always the possibility that on a particular day, at your particular vantage point, you will be the one who gets it right.

What can I do and not do with the 14x42mm kit lens?
It will work well for the type of photography you are talking about, mostly landscapes with some light to work with. Sounds like you aren't interested in telephoto, so that's a weakness of no consequence to you. You'll likely need to use some combination of flash/tripod/high iso if you're shooting indoors unless you are very strategic about it. It won't give you that ultra-wide effect that you may eventually want, but there's no inexpensive way to get that. Generally my advice is live with that lens for several months and wait to see if there's a type of photo you would really like to take but can't. Only buy lenses when they are a tool to solve a problem, don't buy them to cover a range(I have to get a telephoto, I have to get a prime, I have to get an ultra-wide, etc). I agree with pantagrapher and shoot with my prime lens more than any other, but we may shoot different shots than you do.As far as low cost accessories:

1. Second(third?) battery

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-BLS-5-Replacement-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B004PJN82E/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357859671&sr=1-5&keywords=Olympus+PEN+E-PL2+battery

I would even buy two so you always have two with you and one charging at home. Never leave the house without a second battery. A common problem and so cheap to have a backup.

2. Mulitple memory cards - Always have at least two with you, again dirt cheap insurance. Sounds like you mostly just want stills so you don't even need the fast memory cards, just get reputable name.

3. Circular Polarizing Filter - I think the filter size is 40.5mm for your lens but no reason to purchase before you know for sure. Inexpensive, adds protection for the lens, a good tool for any photographer but especially for landscapes in the desert where there is often an abundance of light in the sky.

4. Bean bag for your glove compartment(maybe dollar store?) - don't laugh. It sounds like a lot of the times you notice shots you'd like to take while driving. Pull off the road as far as reasonably possible. Put the bean bag on top of your car. Put camera on top of the bean bag and shoot away. The bean bag allows for fine adjustments, it can "nestle" down for stability, and lastly if there is traffic whizzing by it absorbs some of the vibration and can sometimes produce better results than a very expensive, rigid tripod when near a busy road. They have "proffesional" bean bags made just for photographers but as you can imagine they are more than a little over priced.

5. Maybe an elastic leash for the lens cap. Again, dirt cheap. Just a preference of mine.

In my climate I use a neoprene bag to store/transport my equipment with a few of those gel sillica packets that electronics typically ship with to absorb moisture. But I doubt if that will be a big concern of yours given your climate.

Tripods are a very personal choice but I'd suggest getting one with a hook at the bottom like in this photo...

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-60-Inch-Lightweight-Tripod-Bag/dp/B005KP473Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357858017&sr=8-1&keywords=tripod+amazon

so you can hang weight on the hook and add a great deal of stability to even a very light tripod. Make sure you get the correct height on your tripod(WITH head).

There's nothing worn out about a great sunrise or sunset. These are things that are so beautiful that no matter how jaded we become, we always stop and look at, camera or no. And few photos ever truly capture the wonder of the natural world, which is why we keep trying. There is always this desire to make it a bit better, because we'll never quite get it perfect. So yeah, don't dismiss any subject. There's always the possibility that on a particular day, at your particular vantage point, you will be the one who gets it right.
Very well said.If anything, when you are blessed with a beautiful sunrise/sunset consider it a challenge to find a foreground that frames the sky in such a way to take advantage of all that beautiful light. You're often racing against the clock so it can be quite a challenge. I've never once grown tired of viewing a spectacular sunset or sunrise - be it on a digital screen, or a print, or best yet in person.

I'm as encouraged by your replies as I am discouraged by them. Adding the prime puts this project into a price category that makes me start considering better cameras or a new laptop or airfare to Hawaii. Thanks again.

I'm as encouraged by your replies as I am discouraged by them. Adding the prime puts this project into a price category that makes me start considering better cameras or a new laptop or airfare to Hawaii. Thanks again.
:shrug:In the end it comes down to how you take the photos(lighting, angles, framing, etc..) and not as much on the amount you spend on the camera. Back in 2006 I started with, by today's standards, a crappy HP 4MP Point & Shoot camera and they still look good on the walls in our basement.here are a few:Rays light the wayMorning Arrivalearly bird

Don't ever let anyone talk you into making a purchase. If you're not sure if you need a new tech toy, the answer is you probably don't really need it. Another way to go about it is purchasing a few accessories that you can use now with your current camera and will come in handy when you eventually do plan on purchasing a new camera(tripod, head, extra memory cards, etc). Point-and-shoots benefit a great deal from a tripod because they typically perform best at a low ISO(each model has their own "sweet spot"). You can also play around with HDR photography with your current camera and you may be surprised in what a big difference they add to landscape photos in a high contrast setting like the desert.Many people think the best time to purchase a new camera is the FEB-MAR time frame anyway, as retailers make room for new cameras. I'm not sure if that's really true as the best deals just come out of the blue in my experience. It sounds like you've done your research so you have a short list already. Just sit back and wait for a deal that is so good on one of those cameras you simply can't pass it up. Sooner or later that deal will come along.I will say this though, for the type of photography you've described the kit lens will absolutely work well. You don't NEED a prime to do it. If the only thing holding you back from making the jump to a better camera(bigger sensor/etc) is the fact you can't afford a prime lens I wouldn't let that hold you back from eventually making a purchase.Best of luck!

I personally think you'll be so impressed with the pictures that you'll get with the default kit that it will take a long time before you get lens envy.

Shipping Estimate Tuesday January 22, 2013 - Wednesday January 23, 2013

Delivery Estimate: Friday January 25, 2013 - Wednesday January 30, 2013 by 8:00pm

Olympus PEN E-PL2 12.3 MP CMOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens (Silver)
Tripod, filter and cap kit, remote shutter release, extra battery, 2 8gb sd cards... $310 out the door. Happy for now. :thumbup:

I'm going to need software. I don't want to pay for photoshop. I'm an old Linux guy but Gimp has always shuked me. LR4? Help. Any good budget programs?

'Chaos Commish said:
I'm going to need software. I don't want to pay for photoshop. I'm an old Linux guy but Gimp has always shuked me. LR4? Help. Any good budget programs?
Since it sounds like you'll be shooting landscapes with a tripod and low ISO settings I don't think you need to spend anything on software. The single best feature of LR4 imo is noise reduction and with low ISO you shouldn't have a problem with noise. LR4 is also good for organizing photos but I don't think the price is worth improved organization unless you take a TON of photos.Here's one list...http://techenter.com/top-10-best-free-photo-editing-software-2013/... but there are probably 50 great free photo editing programs out there. It's kind of incredible. I'd start with Paint.NET but it's personal preference what works best for you. Some people like to take their best photo and play with it for hours with GIMP, others want to take an entire folder of keepers and "optimize" all of them quickly with a program like PhotoPerfect Express. I still use IrfanView when I first dump all the photos off the memory card and end up deleting ~75+%. It's always been so lean and fast even when dealing with RAW photos. Again, a lot of personal preference.Youtube is a great resource to get free tutorials how to use different software packages. If there's something specific you know you'll want to do with your photos search for a youtube tutorial and choose the software package that looks the most intuitive.

Oh, I nearly forgot, if you don't mind having the older version of software you can get PhotoShop CS2 and PhotoShop Elements 4.0/5.0 for free from Adobe now...http://slickdeals.net/f/5786762-Freely-Available-Adobe-Creative-Suite-2-CS2-DownloadYes, they are several years old now but they are still very powerful tools.

I'm cheap and I like to mess around a lot with post processing. I use Picasa (free) for organizing pictures and for light editing, such as crop and quick check to see if a picture is worth messing with. I also use Elements like Snogger recommended. You should be able to pick up a copy for ~$40 if you wait for a sale - Elements 10 or 11 will do. I use Elements for more advanced editing such as RAW, editing out unwanted stuff, putting my friend's faces in porn pictures, color tweaks, etc.

ContrailsToo bad we have the platforms in our scenery...though I'm sure I can easily edit them out.
You also have a dust speck about an inch from the top, just left of center. Easy to miss cuz it's in the clouds.
Good catch. Changing lenses on a slightly windy beach is risky. I'll take the little speck in the clouds. My shots aren't any more than just a hobby. Sunsets are the only shots I'm decent at...I suck at picking out abstract/original material like you. So yeah...I can deal with a speck. ;)

Just another example of very good free software online(for a limited time at least) Cyberlink Photo Director 3....http://download.cnet.com/8301-32471_4-57566732-10391713/exclusive-free-giveaway-of-cyberlink-photodirector-3/I downloaded it and gave it a try mostly to test the "touch up" feature on portraits. I'm pretty impressed. Nothing you couldn't do on PhotoShop CS2 but the process seems a little streamlined. I was hoping it would rival Portrait Professional 11 but it's not on that level. I don't take a ton of portraits otherwise I'd probably just spend the $40 for that program if I needed to "fix" a lot of portraits quickly/easily without spending all the time PhotoShop takes.

I'm not sure if you've already pulled the trigger or not but I saw the Panasonic FZ200 for $419(free shipping) and it made me think of this thread....http://slickdeals.net/f/5850474-Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-FZ200-12mp-419-w-promo-FS... you do give up a lot with the point-and-shoot sensor but if you want a 600mm F2.8 lens it's a pretty good deal since the dSLR version would be the size of a bazooka and cost about as much as a car.It has a lot of very good reviews and when it comes to high end P&S's I'm completely biased toward Panasonic.

Users who are viewing this thread