What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (5 Viewers)

I heard a radio commercial advertising Disney Springs.  Is it finished yet, or still halfway under construction?

Best way to uber away from the MK?  Take the boat over to the TC and get picked up from there?
Excellent question.  

Consensus answer is Contemporary Resort.  Walk out of MK, make a hard left, walk past the bus depot and across a street over to the Contemporary valet/taxi stand area.  

World of Color was amazing. After a day of California  Adventure yesterday we will concentrate on Disneyland today. I feel like I am putting on some serious pounds here. I destroyed Goofys kitchen last night. Eating like a pig. :bag:
So glad you had great seats for World Of Color.  That's a big favorite of my family, especially my wife.  And I dig it quite a bit, too: love all the effects and how they utilize the pier behind the water jets to add more depth to the show.

Hey, Goofy's Kitchen is all-you-can-eat.  They made the rules, you're just playing by them.

Best way to uber away from the MK?  Take the boat over to the TC and get picked up from there?
walk to contemporary and grab it from there.

when you exit the park, got to the left and stay to the left side of the bus depot. Follow the path under the monorail beam to the next intersection and traffic light. Cross the street and you are at the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower. Overall, a 3-5 minute walk.

Taking either ferry or monorail to the TTC will be at least 1/2 hour-45 min depending on when you leave.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going back and forth on taking the wife for a long weekend - kids can do without Xmas this year, right?
Sorry for quoting myself but I think we are going to pull the trigger on an early November trip to try and hit Food and Wine and the Christmas decorations.  Seems like a great time of year to go and we've never seen the Xmas stuff.  Will also be our first trip without the kids.  It will be weird - we've been going down there for 13 years and always had at least one kid (and as many as 11 one trip). 

So - couple of questions:

- How much time would you set aside if you really wanted to spend a good amount of time touring the hotels and different Xmas decorations outside the parks?  I was thinking 2 days.  I realize how big the overall resort is and that we couldn't possible see everything in those 1 or 2 days but if we did 2 days would we feel like we wasted some of the trip if we didn't have park tickets for those days?  Or, on the flip side, is there so much that we'd waste the cost of the extra days by not even going to the parks?

- Are there any can't miss Xmas restaurant experiences/meals that you would recommend?

- Do you think I can sample every F&W offering (food and drink)?  How much would that cost me?  How quickly would my wife divorce me?

Anyone experience the Aulani yet?  We (me, wife and DD11, DS8 and DD5) will be there in early Aug, and then on to Maui.  I've read plenty of info on the disboards, but I'd like some input/info from FBGs.  TIA

Sorry for quoting myself but I think we are going to pull the trigger on an early November trip to try and hit Food and Wine and the Christmas decorations.  Seems like a great time of year to go and we've never seen the Xmas stuff.  Will also be our first trip without the kids.  It will be weird - we've been going down there for 13 years and always had at least one kid (and as many as 11 one trip). 

So - couple of questions:

- How much time would you set aside if you really wanted to spend a good amount of time touring the hotels and different Xmas decorations outside the parks?  I was thinking 2 days.  I realize how big the overall resort is and that we couldn't possible see everything in those 1 or 2 days but if we did 2 days would we feel like we wasted some of the trip if we didn't have park tickets for those days?  Or, on the flip side, is there so much that we'd waste the cost of the extra days by not even going to the parks?

- Are there any can't miss Xmas restaurant experiences/meals that you would recommend?

- Do you think I can sample every F&W offering (food and drink)?  How much would that cost me?  How quickly would my wife divorce me?
I did a post on this a while back, I'll see if I can find it. 

IMO, you don't need 2 days. Not sure what "a good amount of time" is to you, but most of the heavy decorating takes place in the lobby areas. I put a plan together that really only included the deluxe resorts and the best way to go from resort to resort. I don't know what other moderates or value do, but most of the more famous displays are at the deluxe resorts. 

Here is how I would suggest doing a Christmas Decoration Resort tour from the Wilderness Lodge

Take the resort launch to the Contemporary and begin your tour there. That is an original WDW resort and one of the icons of the property with the monorail running right through it and its huge A-frame concourse. Most everything is on the 4th floor there. Then take the resort monorail to the Polly. Jump off there. I'm not sure how this is decorated b/c they just chanced the lobby and is not as big as before, but you'll see decorations with a tropical flair.

Then hop back  on the monorail (or walk over) to the Grand Floridian. This is one of the best Christmas lobbies you will find. It is so well done and has a huge Gingerbread house and Christmas tree right in the middle. A must see.

From there, I would take a taxi or Uber over to the Boardwalk. (Unfortunately, you cant go resort > resort on the Disney buses, just resort to parks). You can req a taxi right from the bell desk at the resort (or use the Uber app) and they are always there within 5 minutes, and pretty cheap.

The Boardwalk is one of my favorite resorts for its details. The lobby isnt as grand as the others, but it is very quaint and comfortable.If I could transport that lobby directly into my house, I would. What the lobby lacks, the outside makes up for. Spend a little time strolling around the boardwalk and dip into all the little shops and maybe grab some ice cream there. Walk the boardwalk toward the ESPN club and then over the bridge to the Yacht and Beach. I've never been to these for the holiday's but I cant think that they would be anything less then the others.  I also dont know much about the Swan and Dolphin resorts which are right there too, so I cant tell you to add them to your tour.

If you still have time, you can consider taking another taxi to Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House). It has a lobby similar the the Wildness Lodge in structure and will be done up with an African touch. Plus, you can spend some time animal watching on the savannas (sadly they won't be dressed for Christmas, so no holiday turtle neck sweaters on the giraffes).

Or, you can hit Disney Springs which is all very new and will be very decorated. However, that place is huge now, so be prepared to spend a good amount of time there...and money.

Also, on your tour, there will be great places to eat so you may want to consider grabbing breakfast or lunch at one of the resorts while you are there. IMO a late breakfast at 1900 Park Fare @ the Grand Flo or lunch at either Cape May @ Yacht and Beach or Big river Grill and Brewery @ the boardwalk.
@AAABatteries   here it is...the OP was staying at wilderness lodge, so that where I started them

Anyone experience the Aulani yet?  We (me, wife and DD11, DS8 and DD5) will be there in early Aug, and then on to Maui.  I've read plenty of info on the disboards, but I'd like some input/info from FBGs.  TIA
My wife and I stopped by there briefly a couple years ago when we were in HI for a cruise without kids. :pickle: We had recently joined DVC and were curious. We also sent the kids pictures of Mickey and Minnie to make them think we had hit Disneyland as well. (Child torture can be fun! ;) )

It is beautiful and not far from Honolulu/Pearl Harbor, etc. If they don't have a tour from the resort, just rent a car for a day or two and visit all those wonderful areas.

We just walked around for a couple minutes, but the place was spectacular. In general most Disney Resorts (especially the upper end ones) are great.

the guys who own Disboards have a few podcasts. One is called "Dreams Unlimited Travel Show" and they just did a few episodes on Aulani

I've never been, but we are planning it for our 20th anniversary which is only a few years away.

We have Aulani on tap for the next few years as well.  If we went now the kids (6 and 4) wouldn't know the difference in that beach or the beach we usually go to in Gulf Shores, AL. 

I don't know enough about it, but it looks wanna be all inclusive style resort....but its not all inclusive.  You're still buying drinks and meals. 

They should have a meal plan.  haha.

Awesome - thanks!!
you know the property well enough. honestly, for as great as the resorts are, the parks are equally if not more impressive. 

I'm sure the mods ands value do great displays, but the proximity of the deluxes to each other lend themselves to 'resort browsing'

and @AAABatteries I'm jealous...I can't wait for a trip sans kids...but that won't be for a long while. 
Yeah - almost feel guilty not taking them....almost. ;)

it should be interesting - we've been so many times and I always plan the trip and pay and play tour guide for us or other family members - it will be kind of weird it being just us two.  Really excited though to take my time going around F&W without kids and my wife is excited to see all the Xmas stuff.

I wonder what kind of meetings Disney is having about Pokémon Go?  They are probably brain storming about creating their own app that people can play in their parks.

Re: Christmas

Last year was the last year for the Ozbourne Lights @ Hollywood Studios, right?

Sucks they're gone, they were probably the best Christmas decoration in the parks.

I wonder what kind of meetings Disney is having about Pokémon Go?  They are probably brain storming about creating their own app that people can play in their parks.
Should just partner with Pokémon on some exclusive pocket monsters based upon Disney's IP and only available in Disney parks.

But, they're probably underestimating it and wrote it off as a fad that will be gone in a month.

Re: Christmas

Last year was the last year for the Ozbourne Lights @ Hollywood Studios, right?

Sucks they're gone, they were probably the best Christmas decoration in the parks.
Yea it's gone. 

We've been to DHS like 3 times since Christmas. Each time my wife has said "I can't believe they're getting rid of the lights."

:ptts:

Yea it's gone. 

We've been to DHS like 3 times since Christmas. Each time my wife has said "I can't believe they're getting rid of the lights."

:ptts:
Happy I got to see them as many times as I did.  I flash back to a Saturday night early in TOAL I.  Still early in the Xmas season so it's not too crowded yet.  We're under the lights and all these families who seem to have just checked in that afternoon are kicking off their Disney Christmas Vacation under the Osborne Lights.  Group dances are breaking out as the PhotoPass lines pause for "show" songs (easily the largest Cupid Shuffle I've participated in), people are trading cameras/phones to take full family shots of each other... it was like the fantasy of what the WDW TV commercials say the Parks are like actually happened.   

As awesome as the Lights were, they occupied a space that only provided value 3-5 hours a day for 2 months of the year.  I'm happy they closed the Streets Of America to make it part of Star Wars Land.  I will miss the Lights, though.  

Should just partner with Pokémon on some exclusive pocket monsters based upon Disney's IP and only available in Disney parks.

But, they're probably underestimating it and wrote it off as a fad that will be gone in a month.
I am skeptical that the brand behind Disney Infinity would either partner with Pokemon, or underestimate the interest in Pokemon Go.  

I am skeptical that the brand behind Disney Infinity would either partner with Pokemon, or underestimate the interest in Pokemon Go.  
Disney is in the process of shutting down Infinity. Don't know how that would affect this, though.

Disney is in the process of shutting down Infinity. Don't know how that would affect this, though.
My point was there's a lot of evidence of Disney building/licensing products to compete with breakout hits, and very little evidence to support a claim that Disney would underestimate any fad that breaks out within families.  I should have just asked HULK how he arrived at his statements instead of inviting a discussion about a video game. 

My point was there's a lot of evidence of Disney building/licensing products to compete with breakout hits, and very little evidence to support a claim that Disney would underestimate any fad that breaks out within families.  I should have just asked HULK how he arrived at his statements instead of inviting a discussion about a video game. 
Gotcha. I thought you were going with the 'this is too similar to Infinity for Disney to work with' idea, and I was saying, 'if Infinity is dying, why not try' idea.

is Pokemon related in anyway to Nintendo? (I don't know) 

Reason I ask is that I believe Nintendo just signed with Universal to develop Nintendo IP entertainment in its parks. 

Happy I got to see them as many times as I did.  I flash back to a Saturday night early in TOAL I.  Still early in the Xmas season so it's not too crowded yet.  We're under the lights and all these families who seem to have just checked in that afternoon are kicking off their Disney Christmas Vacation under the Osborne Lights.  Group dances are breaking out as the PhotoPass lines pause for "show" songs (easily the largest Cupid Shuffle I've participated in), people are trading cameras/phones to take full family shots of each other... it was like the fantasy of what the WDW TV commercials say the Parks are like actually happened.   

As awesome as the Lights were, they occupied a space that only provided value 3-5 hours a day for 2 months of the year.  I'm happy they closed the Streets Of America to make it part of Star Wars Land.  I will miss the Lights, though.  
Yes I agree, especially about how it was the only thing like the commercials. Very cool experience. Bummed it's gone. 

OK take this as nothing more than adding to the rumor, but....

chatter has swirled around Guardians of the Galaxy replacing Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot. While that is not 100% confirmed, the stronger rumor is that SOMETHING is happening at that pavilion.

Apparently yesterday, height balloons were flying right at tat location. If you don't know, Disney uses height balloons before they plan any construction so that they can visualize the true height of a structure and what can be seen from other parts of the resort.  

So the chatter in part seems true enough that something is afoot there. People are speculating that it may close as early as december of this year. IDK...I have not heard anything strong about that yet. 

I'll keep you posted if anything pops.

I was just speculating.  Easier and quicker to work with Pokémon than to create their own VR thing that is new and original.

OK take this as nothing more than adding to the rumor, but....

chatter has swirled around Guardians of the Galaxy replacing Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot. While that is not 100% confirmed, the stronger rumor is that SOMETHING is happening at that pavilion.

Apparently yesterday, height balloons were flying right at tat location. If you don't know, Disney uses height balloons before they plan any construction so that they can visualize the true height of a structure and what can be seen from other parts of the resort.  

So the chatter in part seems true enough that something is afoot there. People are speculating that it may close as early as december of this year. IDK...I have not heard anything strong about that yet. 

I'll keep you posted if anything pops.
That's a cool building badly in need of a new attraction.  And with Ellen DeGeneres now one of the leading faces of the Warner Bros Studios, probably best to phase her out of Epcot.

On my last visit to DCA, we spotted balloons over Studio 17 and 23.  Rumor is they are testing out routes for a new Marvel-themed rollercoaster.  Would be a great add to that corner of the park, and would balance out walking traffic a bit.

Bruce Dickinson said:
That's a cool building badly in need of a new attraction.  And with Ellen DeGeneres now one of the leading faces of the Warner Bros Studios, probably best to phase her out of Epcot.

On my last visit to DCA, we spotted balloons over Studio 17 and 23.  Rumor is they are testing out routes for a new Marvel-themed rollercoaster.  Would be a great add to that corner of the park, and would balance out walking traffic a bit.
Isn't there some thing where Universal has the park rights to Marvel characters East of the Mississippi and Marvel itself has them to the West (meaning Disney as they now own Marvel)?

Wonder when that expires?  They could really screw over Universal Orlando if they don't renew it.

Anyways, not sure if they can have a Guardians ride in Epcot for this reason.  @ DCA, sure, they can.

ETA: Looked into it.  Universal's rights to use Marvel characters in theme parks are in perpetuity.  So, Disney can't use them unless Universal lets them.  I wouldn't plan on a Guardian's ride @ EPCOT imo

Isn't there some thing where Universal has the park rights to Marvel characters East of the Mississippi and Marvel itself has them to the West (meaning Disney as they now own Marvel)?

Wonder when that expires?  They could really screw over Universal Orlando if they don't renew it.

Anyways, not sure if they can have a Guardians ride in Epcot for this reason.  @ DCA, sure, they can.

ETA: Looked into it.  Universal's rights to use Marvel characters in theme parks are in perpetuity.  So, Disney can't use them unless Universal lets them.  I wouldn't plan on a Guardian's ride @ EPCOT imo
Thought there was talk of 'newer' marvel characters being 'Disneys' as far as parks are concerned; and that was part of the reason why the Guardians movie was made in the first place.

Article about GOTG taking over Tower at Disneyland.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/04/rumors-confirmed-guardians-of-the-galaxy-to-replace-tower-of-terror-captain-america-launch-coaster-coming/

There's some dispute about how much of the Marvel book Universal controls.  Since IOA has attractions and/or character meets with Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Hulk, and X-Men, little question none of those will be in WDW any time soon.  However, Marvel properties Universal hasn't developed attractions for, like Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man, Deadpool?  There's some language in the contract suggesting Disney can build attractions centered around those characters.  Disney might be prepared to push the interpretation that if Universal isn't actively using the characters, they have in effect relinquished their rights to them.  

Another obscure part of the contract is use of the trademark "Marvel" west of the Mississippi.  DLR  does meet-and-greets with Marvel  characters not seen at WDW like Captain America, Iron Man, and Spider-Man.  However, it's been noted Disney doesn't put the word "Marvel" on any of the signs.  All the character greets and merchandise stands are labeled "Hero" or "Superhero".

Wow.  Good news for Nintendo and their stockholders.   
funny, I just left a client meeting and PokiGo was a topic of discussion. I'm in Advertising and the client is an owner of shopping malls. We discussed leveraging the PokiGo platform to tie it into promotions with their tenants and how PokiGo can begin creating revenue by having stores and other locations pay to have Pokis (whatever they are called) be placed at their locations and generate foot traffic.

funny, I just left a client meeting and PokiGo was a topic of discussion. I'm in Advertising and the client is an owner of shopping malls. We discussed leveraging the PokiGo platform to tie it into promotions with their tenants and how PokiGo can begin creating revenue by having stores and other locations pay to have Pokis (whatever they are called) be placed at their locations and generate foot traffic.

Great ...this could only last for a short time before it got ####ed up by stuff like this.  

There's some dispute about how much of the Marvel book Universal controls.  Since IOA has attractions and/or character meets with Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Hulk, and X-Men, little question none of those will be in WDW any time soon.  However, Marvel properties Universal hasn't developed attractions for, like Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man, Deadpool?  There's some language in the contract suggesting Disney can build attractions centered around those characters.  Disney might be prepared to push the interpretation that if Universal isn't actively using the characters, they have in effect relinquished their rights to them.  

Another obscure part of the contract is use of the trademark "Marvel" west of the Mississippi.  DLR  does meet-and-greets with Marvel  characters not seen at WDW like Captain America, Iron Man, and Spider-Man.  However, it's been noted Disney doesn't put the word "Marvel" on any of the signs.  All the character greets and merchandise stands are labeled "Hero" or "Superhero".
Maybe Disney can re-route the Mississippi to dump into the Atlantic off the Georgia coast now that they are not getting sued.  That may work.

Personally,  I would prefer a mono rail expansion over anything.

Great ...this could only last for a short time before it got ####ed up by stuff like this.  
lol...they didnt create this app out of the goodness of their heart...there will always be someone looking for a way to monetize it somehow. It's just how 'upfront' or not they want it to appear.

Maybe Disney can re-route the Mississippi to dump into the Atlantic off the Georgia coast now that they are not getting sued.  That may work.

Personally,  I would prefer a mono rail expansion over anything.
Don't hold your breath for any more monorails (although I agree with you, I'd love to see more of it). If they expand transportation anywhere it will be with a ground level light rail system. the elevated tracks are too much to maintain, service when a mono is stuck or has an emergency and its not like they have a shortage of land. Elevated stuff was cool and unique when WDW first opened, now not so much. You can tell how little are they put into their current fleet, let alone investing in new ones.

Kenny The Pirate reporting Toluca Leg Turkey Co is closing, to be rebranded as a QSR with a broader menu.  Switch will be made in August, new menu not revealed yet at the new stand, though some other new menu items available down the walk from the main entrance to RnR and ToT were teased, like full pound loaded baked potatoes with tri-tip.

So no more turkey legs in DHS or AK. 

glvsav37 said:
Don't hold your breath for any more monorails (although I agree with you, I'd love to see more of it). If they expand transportation anywhere it will be with a ground level light rail system. the elevated tracks are too much to maintain, service when a mono is stuck or has an emergency and its not like they have a shortage of land. Elevated stuff was cool and unique when WDW first opened, now not so much. You can tell how little are they put into their current fleet, let alone investing in new ones.
A ground mono rail would be cool too.

Just returned from our Disneyland trip. It was awesome. Color the night was spectacular and I got a little misty when they made it snow during the fireworks. That kind of stuff gets me. Loved the change to Magic Mountain.Goofys kitchen was awesome. Everything there was just perfect. Crowds were bigger then I was used to but with fast pass and planning I never felt like we had to wait for to long.

Users who are viewing this thread