What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (6 Viewers)

Thanks for the recap, @glvsav37!  Reads like not all was magical, but enough to pack in a ton of memories.

Glad you dug Sanaa.  Was thinking of it the other night when I made my version of Sanaa's Peri Peri Chicken, with some delicious miniature na'ans from Costco.  (Only three dippers instead of nine, though.)  Sorry Ohana didn't go so well, but appreciate the candor from your experience.  

I hear you on the size of AKL - coming in from off the resort to eat at Sana'a, parking leaves a loooooong walk, and that's after a long, winding road from the resort gate to the lots.

Have y'all done all four parks in one day before?  

Great photos.  Probably not the first time you've heard this, but you seriously outkicked your coverage.  Well done.

On the Anaheim side... some serious upgrades are in play when Fantasmic comes back summer 2017.  

On the west side, Fantasmic doesn't have its own theater.  It takes place on the Rivers Of America and Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland.  It's shut down now for revamping and to make room for Star Wars Land construction.  

When it returns, the sound will finally get the upgrade it's needed since 2009.  But the big story is the visuals.  Usually the Columbia is transformed into Captain Hook's sailing ship and a Peter Pan battle takes place on it.  That part of the show is being retired for a Pirates Of The Caribbean battle.  Disney is working on a projection system that will track the boat and the cast members, to transform the Columbia into the Black Pearl and allow characters to take human and skeleton form without costume changes.  

Going in October, looking forward to the wine and food festival.  Anyone done the Dinosaur ride in Epcot?  4 year old too young for it?

Going in October, looking forward to the wine and food festival.  Anyone done the Dinosaur ride in Epcot?  4 year old too young for it?
I took mine on the Dino ride when he was 4.  It kinda freaked him out, and he doesn't usually get like that.  Its really dar. plus it shut down on us and we were stuck in the dark for about 4-5 minutes. 

He won't go anymore....but I wouldn't say its a terrible idea. 

@Spin and @jb1020

Think you are talking about 2 different things.

The ride at Epcot with Dinosaurs is Ellen's Energy Adventure. But the Dinos are only a small part of it. The rest is a 45 min ride through movie screens that are Ellen and Bill Nye telling corny joke and looking 20 years younger...oh and Judy is still stupid. There really isn't anything scary in that ride, accept the dinos which are pretty realistic looking and mildly scary depending on your kid's tolerance. Otherwise, its a long, slow and flat ride. 

The other dinosaur ride is in Animal Kingdom and that is a more intense thrill ride that is dark, fast and the car bounces around a lot. My 5 year old loved it, but 4 might be a little too young, you know your kid best. Plus there is a height restriction there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Bruce Dickinson!!

the vacation was great....but you can't expect everything to be perfect and go smoothly every moment in a place that big. I didn't mean to make it sound un-magical. overall, it was better then fine. We are not complainers or dwell on things, so we just move along to the next experience. 

Ohana...5 trips there and only 1 bad...so I'm not giving up on it yet...#### happens

Sanna...very happy there. In addition to the bread service with all 9 sauces, I had the South African Braai Sampler which was 3 different grilled meats that was awesome. The smoked pork was out of this world. My wife had the Strip steak was gushing over it, and she is a very picky eater. 

We've never did the 4 in 1 before, and actually it turned out to be 4 parks in a night instead. We were at studios on our last day b/c my wife's family was also there and we met up with them. When we left them at 5ish, we were deciding what to do when a big storm rolled in. So we went back to the resort ate, and then cooked up a plan to hit at least 1 ride in each of the other parks. So starting around 6:30/7pm we jumped a cab to Epcot, and rode Test Track with one of our Magic Fastpasses, then Mexico bc we missed it earlier. Then another cab to AK...timing it right when the Jungle book show was happening, so Everest wait was naturally low. Then bused it back to MK b/c they closed the latest and did Philharmagic, FP for Buzz and then the Carousel right at midnight to end the vacation.

On the wife front...I can't complain....I'll keep her around....thanks man :)

what's the wait for the Jedi In Training thing normally?  I can see how it could be worth it by getting first dibs on that, plus breakfast, plus lots of TSMM.
tough to tell....depends on how popular the park is that day and who is singing ip. My sister did it a few months about and she said it was over 1.5 hours. The sign up process is rather slow, so i can see it being the case. 

But yea...I thought just like you are saying....at least they are feeding me lol. 

so did i....was gonna correct him but then remembered there are also dinos in Ellen.
This is what happens when I try to pitch in with the Disney thread!

I do have a hilarious picture from the  dino ride at AK.  Kid is 6 now and he still talks about how that was a bad idea.  He warns his sister constantly. 

:bag:  You guys ARE right, the one we've got Fast passes for is in AK, my son really wants to do it, but I was wondering if 4 is a bit too young still.
If he's excited enough I think you'll be fine.  My kid bounced back really fast.  He was scared, then 5 minutes later he was on to the next attraction/distraction. 

lol..my 5 year old son loved it..my 9 year old daughter hated it. Its all in their preferences.

I have a love/hate relationship with that ride. I think i posted about it somewhere in here, but I lost a tooth on it once. I have caps on my 2 fronts and at the end when the dino pops out from above, it caught me off guard, I ducked and the car bounced up. I hit my mouth on the handlebar in front and my cap popped out. Thankfully I found it on the floor of the car at the unload area, but at the time my GF (now wife) didn't know I have fake-o's up there...surprise!!!  lol

I'm a huge fan of Ellen's Energy ride thing.  Solid relaxing ride that the kids get a kick out of and you get to take a break.  I have seen couples doing "things" that are PG-13 in the dark when they think no one can see.  It's that relaxing.  Yeah it's old and way out of date, but still.

Sorry you had a bad time at O'hana.  As a certified member of the O'hanafanboyclubofwingdestroyers we hope you choose to try again.

Sorry you had a bad time at O'hana.  As a certified member of the O'hanafanboyclubofwingdestroyers we hope you choose to try again.
LOL...No, they would have to do more then that to keep me out of there....it was just a single bad experience. life goes on. The shrimp were fantastic....but i'm the only one who eats them. Its all good, nothing but love for "my cousins." 

Has there been much DCL talk in here? My fam has been on 3 cruises in the past and going on a 7-nighter in October on the Fantasy. Any recent experiences/tips to share? TIA.

After spending the last two days in Malibu and at the beach, decided the weather was too nice to do any more work for the rest of the week.  Picked up 3 day park hopper tickets for tomorrow to start.  Probably didn't need the 3rd day, but Magic Morning is usually cool enough for the extra cost.  Local public schools start/started this week so anticipating minimal crowds.  I suppose that is one extra perk of paying for private school.

FYI, for anyone else who has access to discounted SoCal tickets, those discounts will be gone forever after mid-September.

A few notes and rumors about Star Wars Land...

Dont expect DHS to have it until 2020.

There will be a Millennium Falcon simulator, where groups will board the Falcon run a mission: launch the ship, set a course, hit lightspeed, fire weapons at enemies, etc.. Imagine if Mission: Space was fun.

First Order- themed dark ride in development.  Storyline is still under wraps, but ride will be immersive and guests will wear 3-D glasses for it.  Imagine Spider-Man from IOA with newer technology.

Dining will include a casual intergalactic cantina, and a high end "dinner club".

Cast members at Star Wars Land will receive specialized training and be "in character" when interacting with guests.  Think somewhere between historical reenactment field trips when you were a kid and the staff at Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade.

Disney will likely wait to rename DHS until Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land are ready.  The park will get a new name and a new entrance.  (Haven't seen the proposed map yet, but Disney recently filed several permits for new road construction on the grounds, main projects are funneling traffic to new DHS entrance and new ramps to get guests to/from the monorail resorts and Wilderness without having to go through the MK parking booths.)

Stay strong with your avatar, Bruce. 
It's a tribute to Wichita State University, a 2-3 hour drive away from my house.  Their nickname is the "Wheat Shockers", a tribute to the nearby wheat fields and the people who harvest them.  ("Shocking" is an archaic word for harvesting wheat, and "shockers" are the harvesters.  Same terminology and era as the "Cornhuskers" of Nebraska.)

When I first moved here, foam fingers like my avatar were common in the student section at home basketball games.  It's less prevalent now that the gesture is more widely known and the team has an interregional following, but the cheerleaders will still flash the "W" at the TV cameras.

apparently there was bulldozing going on at Fort Wilderness today and the target appears to be the old River Country. 

No pictures or proof yet, but with al the Zika hubbub they want to eliminate as many areas where mosquitos could incubate. And RC has been nothing but a place for moldy water to sit stagnant for years. Plus, with all the new Wilderness lodge bungalow construction going on, the heavy equip was already there. 

Maybe officially RIP to River Country. If you search, you can find recent photos of it from people who went exploring, as well las you were able to see some of it through the fence by Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

I am getting closer to the 60 day window, I know I cant make FP until 60 days out but when I go to the calendar it only lets me look 30 days out.  I assume I did not do something properly to as why I can't see the calendar 60 days out?

@swirvenirvin I could be wrong, but you won't see those dates open up until you are at 60 days. Even though you may have a resort reservation, as of right now you are only a potential off-site or day-trip guest to them. So hence you are only avail to book things 30 days from today. Once you hit the 60 day mark from your check in, they system will recognize it and open the extra days up for you. 

how many days away are you? 

edit to add that they also changed the FP window recently. In the past it opened at 12:01 am on your 60th day. But now it is 7am EST of that 1st morning.  

So for the Jedi in Training thing....If we don't do the early morning hours deal, can I haul ### to it and sign my kids up (maybe I grab their bands as soon as they walk into the park), or do I need them physically with me? 

:bag:  You guys ARE right, the one we've got Fast passes for is in AK, my son really wants to do it, but I was wondering if 4 is a bit too young still.
It's LOUD and dark - if he's doesn't do well with those then it may not be for him.  I love Disney and can find something good about just about every ride in the 4 parks.  Dinosaur is the one ride I usually single out as one I dislike - and I think it's because the premise is really good but the execution is horrible (IMO).  Every time I get off the ride I think - this could be so much better and/or I didn't enjoy myself.  

So, instead of a Disney trip without the kids to do Food and Wine and Xmas decorations I got the wife a new car (Acadia).  She's happy - I'm trying to figure out if I can sell a kid or kidney.

So for the Jedi in Training thing....If we don't do the early morning hours deal, can I haul ### to it and sign my kids up (maybe I grab their bands as soon as they walk into the park), or do I need them physically with me? 
the kids MUST be with you. they kind of interview them to see if they will not be too scared and can follow directions. Simple questions. 

the sign up has nothing to do with the MBs, They will give you a printed receipt for each kid.

The whole experience is about an hour long (once you sign up).

They want you back at the meeting spot 45min before the time (it is back near where you sign up, by the 50s Prime me Cafe). The CM's log the kids back in, check off the receipt (so be sure to keep it safe after sign up). They then line the kids up in height order on 2 rows of dots on the floor, hand out Jedi robe and go over the instructions. 

They then all walk in a small parade to the training area. At least 1 parent should be walking with the kids. My wife did that while I ran ahead and grabbed a solid spot between the 2 stages. You don't know which stage your kid will be on, so being in the center audience area is helpful. 

There are 2 photopass photographers there and they will give you a photos card before the kids get on stage so you can get the photos. They don't scan the kids or parent's bands to add the photos to. 

Its important to factor in your pre-booked FP times in this b/c it is fairly long.  

the kids MUST be with you. they kind of interview them to see if they will not be too scared and can follow directions. Simple questions. 

the sign up has nothing to do with the MBs, They will give you a printed receipt for each kid.

The whole experience is about an hour long (once you sign up).

They want you back at the meeting spot 45min before the time (it is back near where you sign up, by the 50s Prime me Cafe). The CM's log the kids back in, check off the receipt (so be sure to keep it safe after sign up). They then line the kids up in height order on 2 rows of dots on the floor, hand out Jedi robe and go over the instructions. 

They then all walk in a small parade to the training area. At least 1 parent should be walking with the kids. My wife did that while I ran ahead and grabbed a solid spot between the 2 stages. You don't know which stage your kid will be on, so being in the center audience area is helpful. 

There are 2 photopass photographers there and they will give you a photos card before the kids get on stage so you can get the photos. They don't scan the kids or parent's bands to add the photos to. 

Its important to factor in your pre-booked FP times in this b/c it is fairly long.  
Thanks.  Great info :thumbup:

I am getting closer to the 60 day window, I know I cant make FP until 60 days out but when I go to the calendar it only lets me look 30 days out.  I assume I did not do something properly to as why I can't see the calendar 60 days out?
Same thing for me. I'm going in December, I have the ability to click fastpass through my Disney experience, but can only see 30 days out from now. I called Disney just to make sure and that's normal, you'll be fine once you hit the 60 day mark.

glvsav37 said:
@swirvenirvin I could be wrong, but you won't see those dates open up until you are at 60 days. Even though you may have a resort reservation, as of right now you are only a potential off-site or day-trip guest to them. So hence you are only avail to book things 30 days from today. Once you hit the 60 day mark from your check in, they system will recognize it and open the extra days up for you. 

how many days away are you? 

edit to add that they also changed the FP window recently. In the past it opened at 12:01 am on your 60th day. But now it is 7am EST of that 1st morning.  
13 days away from 60

Ended up paying for that touring plans thing to help plan the trip.

We are going to Animal Kingdom the first day.  They recommend going as soon as the park opens at 8 one or very late or using fast pass in the middle of that day.

Since they open at 8 that day, I think we'd be getting up at 6:30 or so if we wanted to get there right when the park opens/ half hour before.  Was thinking it would be easier on us to sleep in a bit and just use the fast pass at 9 or so.  Does this seem like a waste and could be used on something else?  

Was thinking fastpass the safari and the fast pass right after for Kali River Rapids, then saving the last one for meet favorite disney pals at outpost.  See I dont even know if they will care to meet disney pals.  They probably dont even know who 75% of them are

@swirvenirvin

as with the whole trip, you know your family best. If they are morning people, then go for it, but if not, don't go dragging them out of bed at the crack of dawn everyday. Or mix it up, do a early morning followed by a relaxing pool day or later entry with breakfast or something. 

As as for AK. Being its your 1st day, the fam may be excited and ready to go.  So by all means take advantage of it.  

We did rope drop at AK last time and no doubt you can get a good jump on things. We went right to Everest and hit it with about a 5-10 min wait. Many people go for the safari to, so I say go where you don't already have a FP for. 

My General FP strategy is to make them starting at about 10/10:30 am and then rolling one after another (generally) . That's when crowds normally build and it give you some cushion if you feel like sleeping a bit later. 

at AK, there really are limited attractions, but it is a beautiful park with lots to do if you are not so attraction-focused. I usually FP Everest or safari, then dinosaur or Kali and then lion king show. Anything else has large capacity or will have wait times dip later in the day. Keep an eye on wait times thought the app and touring plans app. In between, walk the safari trails, hit planet watch and meander a bit. 

As for the Wilderness Expolrers, it's really a do as you go type thing. Get the book at the main bridge and then as you walk around the park, stop at the outpost, learn something and get a sticker....or don't. There are a lot of outposts and It took us 2 days to fill the book. So don't feel compelled to max it out. But it is a fun and free opportunity for kids to learn stuff.  

My wife, who clearly despises me, told me she wrote down a number of shrimp I would eat before the meal. She wrote down 75. 

SEVENTY-FIVE :mellow: :lmao:   :porked:

I've never been more humiliated, yet strangely proud, in my entire life. 

Anyways the under cashed at 23 exactly. Cousin brought out too many potstickers. 
I don't think I could walk after 75 shrimp. 

Anyways the under cashed at 23 exactly. Cousin brought out too many potstickers. 
Wow.  Sharp line. 

FWIW, "too many potstickers" is a 100% valid excuse for going Under that shrimp total.  The kid and I high-five when the wings, potstickers, and noodles arrive at the table.  And the kid is patient enough to leave some noodles on the plate for when the chicken comes out.  Her favorite Ohana mashup is chicken and noodles doused in the peanut sauce.  I respect that.  

Disneyland is adding a "Frightfully Fun Parade" for the Halloween Parties this year.  The description and concept art looks like it will share a lot of elements as the awesome parade MK recently added to their Halloween Parties, but with different music a few different floats.  

This is great news for DLR guests.  

Wow.  Sharp line. 

FWIW, "too many potstickers" is a 100% valid excuse for going Under that shrimp total.  The kid and I high-five when the wings, potstickers, and noodles arrive at the table.  And the kid is patient enough to leave some noodles on the plate for when the chicken comes out.  Her favorite Ohana mashup is chicken and noodles doused in the peanut sauce.  I respect that.  
He brought out 4 to start with, which was just stupid, and upon asking for more he brought out 15. Couldn't argue with that. 

Disneyland is expanding their Halloween attraction skins to Tower Of Terror.  

At DLR, Halloween season starts the Tuesday after Labor Day and finishes in Halloween night.  

When that season starts, Haunted Mansion is reworked to retell The Nightmare Before Christmas, with Jack and Sally periodically available for meet-and-greets by the mansion.  Space Mountain becomes "Ghost Galaxy" and has flaming skulls and #### on the walls and ceiling instead of just stars and planets and such.

From Twilight to closing time during Halloween, the Tower Of Terror at DCA is going to drop the Twilight Zone stuff from the ride, and instead run the ride in total darkness.  My wife will probably sit this skin out, but the kid and I are fired up to experience the difference.

I'll have a review ready by the end of September.

Disneyland is expanding their Halloween attraction skins to Tower Of Terror.  

At DLR, Halloween season starts the Tuesday after Labor Day and finishes in Halloween night.  

When that season starts, Haunted Mansion is reworked to retell The Nightmare Before Christmas, with Jack and Sally periodically available for meet-and-greets by the mansion.  Space Mountain becomes "Ghost Galaxy" and has flaming skulls and #### on the walls and ceiling instead of just stars and planets and such.

From Twilight to closing time during Halloween, the Tower Of Terror at DCA is going to drop the Twilight Zone stuff from the ride, and instead run the ride in total darkness.  My wife will probably sit this skin out, but the kid and I are fired up to experience the difference.

I'll have a review ready by the end of September.
Total darkness? #### that. 

Total darkness? #### that. 
I'm curious what their definition of "total darkness" is.  I can't imagine getting guests safely through the library and boiler room without some lights on.  If it means they kill the lights after everyone is strapped into the elevator and the operator hops off and closes the door, I'm very much looking forward to that.

Users who are viewing this thread